Bombay, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||33.6 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12914.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $20,057 (it was $14,710 in 2000)
Bombay town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $72,622 (it was $46,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $162,428; Detached houses: $173,888; Townhouses or other attached units: $136,345; In 2-unit structures: $326,241; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $56,935; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $280,925; Mobile homes: $55,314
Races in Bombay, NY (2010)
- 1,06978.8%White alone
- 23016.9%American Indian alone
- 251.8%Two or more races
- 110.8%Asian alone
- 100.7%Black alone
|If New York State is so bad, why do we live here? (575 replies)|
|The amount of time you spend trying to get into NYCHA, trying bettering your life (370 replies)|
|What are some nabes in the outer boros with great food (27 replies)|
|Would you want a Dairy Queen on Long Island? (70 replies)|
|Best Restaurants In Brooklyn (39 replies)|
|Why do people who aren't from NYC want to live here so badly? (362 replies)|
Latest news from Bombay, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (24.0%), Irish (17.2%), French Canadian (11.6%), United States (8.5%), English (7.6%), German (4.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 189 feet
Land area: 35.8 square miles.
Population density: 38 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Bombay:
- High school or higher: 77.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 10.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bombay town:
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 57.3%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 10.8%
43 residents are foreign born (2.8% North America, 0.8% Europe).
According to our research of New York and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Bombay, New York as of February 09, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Bombay to the number of sex offenders is 231 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Bombay town:||1.3% ($614)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Utica, NY (131.4 miles , pop. 60,651).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Rochester, NY (193.7 miles , pop. 219,773).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (285.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Fort Covington Hamlet, NY (2.2 miles ), Fort Covington, NY (2.2 miles ), Brasher, NY (2.7 miles ), Moira, NY (2.8 miles ), Brushton, NY (2.9 miles ), Bangor, NY (3.2 miles ), Westville, NY (3.2 miles ), Brasher Falls, NY (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $21,800
- 2001: 6 buildings, average cost: $49,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.94 N, Longitude: 74.60 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
- Public administration (14%)
- Metal and metal products (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Construction (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Health care (5%)
- Food (4%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Health care (11%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (10%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Food (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (9%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
Average climate in Bombay, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Bombay-area historical earthquake activity is below New York state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 69.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 53.4 miles away from Bombay center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 54.4 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 178.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 70.7 miles away from Bombay center
On 4/8/2003 at 15:06:14, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, 3.2 ML, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 25.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Earthquake: 1, Hurricane: 1, Power Outage: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Bombay:
- HIGHLAND NURSING HOME INC (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; MASSENA, NY)
- ST REGIS NURSING HOME INC (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; MASSENA, NY)
- MASSENA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 15 miles away; MASSENA, NY)
- MASSENA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 16 miles away; MASSENA, NY)
- CITIZEN ADVOCATES D/B/A NORTHSTAR INDUSTRIES, INC (Hospital, about 16 miles away; MALONE, NY)
- FRANKLIN COUNTY NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; MALONE, NY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bombay:
- SUNY College at Potsdam (about 27 miles; Potsdam, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,307)
- Clarkson University (about 28 miles; Potsdam, NY; FT enrollment: 3,472)
- St Lawrence University (about 37 miles; Canton, NY; FT enrollment: 2,501)
- SUNY College of Technology at Canton (about 37 miles; Canton, NY; FT enrollment: 3,411)
- SUNY College at Plattsburgh (about 59 miles; Plattsburgh, NY; FT enrollment: 5,934)
- Champlain College (about 76 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- University of Vermont (about 76 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- First african american baby girl born in Bombay, new York at home was in 1976 (Bi-centennial)
Notable location: Bombay Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Saint Joseph Cemetery (1), Saint Josephs Cemetery (2), Saint Patrick Cemetery (3), Sand Hill Cemetery (4), Hillside Rest Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 18.6. This is significantly better than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 5.02. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 5.5 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 1.45. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 5.5 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 12.2. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 5.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 13.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 5.5 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.8 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Bombay compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (85%)
- Wood (7%)
- Electricity (5%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Bombay town (based on Franklin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||3.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||1.39 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||4.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
3.79% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,887 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from St. Lawrence County, NY||0.59% ($24,920 average AGI)|
|from Essex County, NY||0.49% ($35,940)|
|from Clinton County, NY||0.40% ($36,188)|
4.36% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,485 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Bombay:
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WMSA (1340 AM; 1 kW; MASSENA, NY; Owner: SEAWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WYBG (1050 AM; 1 kW; MASSENA, NY)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WIRD (920 AM; 5 kW; LAKE PLACID, NY; Owner: RADIO LAKE PLACID INC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WEAV (960 AM; 5 kW; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTWK (1070 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Bombay:
- WYUL (94.7 FM; CHATEAUGAY, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WCEL (91.9 FM; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WSLO (90.9 FM; MALONE, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WVNV (96.5 FM; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Bombay:
- W14BU (Channel 14; MASSENA, NY; Owner: DAVID WELCH)
- W25BX (Channel 25; MASSENA, NY; Owner: NELLIE GAJESKI)
- W36BN (Channel 36; MASSENA, NY; Owner: NELLIE GAJESKI)
- W65CR (Channel 65; MASSENA, NY; Owner: ROBERT G. JUILLERAT)
- W20BA (Channel 20; MASSENA, NY; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
- WNYF-LP (Channel 28; MASSENA, NY; Owner: UNITED COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WNPI-TV (Channel 18; NORWOOD, NY; Owner: ST. LAWRENCE VALLEY EDUCATIONAL TV COUNCIL, INC)
- Bombay, New York
- Fatal accident count13
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents18
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:5
- Persons involved in fatal accidents45
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents5
- New York average
- Fatal accident count149
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents209
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons31
- Persons involved in fatal accidents391
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents32
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 44m144ftTotal length
- $28,947,000Total costs
- 26,690Total average daily traffic
- 2,588Total average daily truck traffic
- 37,262Total future (year 2027) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: K3KYR, Previous Call Sign: WB2LRU, Licensee ID: L00183822
Grant Date: 04/14/2006, Expiration Date: 06/18/2016, Certifier: Gordon J Jones
Registrant: Gordon J Jones, 190 Reagan Flats Rd, Bombay, NY 12914
- Call Sign: N2RIP, Licensee ID: L00297147
Grant Date: 06/06/2002, Expiration Date: 06/16/2012
Registrant: Louise N Pauly, 1467 State Route 95, Bombay, NY 12914
- Call Sign: KC2HME, Licensee ID: L00322748
Grant Date: 11/22/2010, Expiration Date: 02/07/2021, Certifier: Melissa G Jones
Registrant: Melissa G Jones, 190 Reagan Flats Rd, Bombay, NY 12914
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150H (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 6435S , Serial Number: 15067235, Year manufactured: 1967, Airworthiness Date: 09/29/1967
Registrant (Individual): Keith B Dba Edwards, 2548 State Route 95, Bombay, NY 12914, Other Owners: Flying Service Edwards
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 15
- Hazardous Condition: 12
Incident types - Bombay
|Most common first names in Bombay, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Bombay, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|