We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||36.9 years|
|Alabama median age:||38.3 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $11,348 (it was $11,044 in 2000)
Brent city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $102,267 (it was $49,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $463.
Races in Brent, AL (2013)
- 2,72255.0%White alone
- 2,14343.3%Black alone
- 400.8%Two or more races
- 150.3%American Indian alone
- 80.2%Asian alone
|Why is there no good Mexican food in Birmingham............ (96 replies)|
|MSM to be The Grove, Mixed use (45 replies)|
|Centreville / Brent Area (Bibb County) (2 replies)|
|perry/bibb (6 replies)|
|Best Flat Fee MLS listing company in the Birmingham area? (10 replies)|
|Proposed Alabama 300-mile North/South Toll Road (43 replies)|
Latest news from Brent, AL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (13.1%), Irish (6.1%), French (5.5%), German (3.0%), Italian (2.0%), English (1.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 240 feet
Land area: 8.72 square miles.
Population density: 561 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Brent:
- High school or higher: 72.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 8.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Brent city:
- Never married: 41.0%
- Now married: 35.9%
- Separated: 4.1%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 12.1%
14 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Alabama and other state lists there were 64 registered sex offenders living in Brent, Alabama as of October 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Brent to the number of sex offenders is 77 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $314 (0.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $197 (0.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Tuscaloosa, AL (27.8 miles , pop. 77,906).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Birmingham, AL (45.5 miles , pop. 242,820).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (532.1 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Centreville, AL (1.6 miles ), West Blocton, AL (3.6 miles ), Heiberger, AL (3.8 miles ), Piper-Coleanor, AL (3.8 miles ), Vance, AL (4.0 miles ), North Bibb, AL (4.3 miles ), Woodstock, AL (4.3 miles ), Coaling, AL (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 32.94 N, Longitude: 87.17 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 205
|Crime rates in Brent by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 289.6)||96.9||192.7||76.6||94.4||101.7||249.8||90.0||221.3||238.5||177.2||176.5|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Brent detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.02|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
- Manufacturing (36%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Wholesale trade (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Construction (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (30%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Construction (10%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Production occupations (36%)
- Transportation occupations (13%)
- Sales and related occupations (12%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (6%)
- Healthcare support occupations (15%)
- Sales and related occupations (15%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (14%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (14%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (10%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media occupations (6%)
Average climate in Brent, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Brent-area historical tornado activity is near Alabama state average. It is 85% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/3/1966, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 32.9 miles away from the Brent city center killed 58 people and injured 518 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 4/8/1998, a category F5 tornado 34.7 miles away from the city center killed 32 people and injured 259 people and caused $200 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Brent-area historical earthquake activity is near Alabama state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 32.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 125.8 miles away from Brent center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 139.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/24/1975 at 11:11:36, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 66.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 48.5 miles away from Brent center
On 12/12/1997 at 08:42:20, a magnitude 4.0 (3.9 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 37.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Bibb County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 6, Tornadoes: 5, Floods: 4, Hurricanes: 4, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Brent:
- University of Montevallo (about 22 miles; Montevallo, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,826)
- Shelton State Community College (about 26 miles; Tuscaloosa, AL; FT enrollment: 4,106)
- The University of Alabama (about 29 miles; Tuscaloosa, AL; FT enrollment: 30,931)
- Lawson State Community College-Birmingham Campus (about 40 miles; Birmingham, AL; FT enrollment: 2,695)
- Virginia College-Birmingham (about 43 miles; Birmingham, AL; FT enrollment: 8,167)
- Samford University (about 43 miles; Birmingham, AL; FT enrollment: 3,829)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham (about 45 miles; Birmingham, AL; FT enrollment: 14,853)
Public elementary/middle school in Brent:
- Brent Elementary School (Students: 608; Location: 160 4TH STREET; Grades: OK-4)
Notable location: Brent Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Brent include: Brent Presbyterian Church (A), Pineview Baptist Church (B), Brent Church of God (C), Brent Baptist Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Brent Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotels: Southern Belle Motor Court (Highway 5 & Highway 82), Windwood Inn (10258 Highway 5).
Court: Brent Municpal Court (22 1st Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 56.4. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 21.6. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 19.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.43. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.9 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Brent and their reported violations in the past:BRENT UTILITIES BOARD (Population served: 5,850, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- One regular monitoring violation
(10.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 57.0% for Black residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
People in group quarters in Brent in 2010:
- 1,924 people in state prisons
- 83 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 30 people in group homes intended for adults
215 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
Brent compared to Alabama state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Brent (2011 data):
- First United Security Bank: Brent Branch at 2334 Main Street, branch established on 1912/01/02. Info updated 2012/01/12: Bank assets: $624.2 mil, Deposits: $527.4 mil, headquarters in Thomasville, AL, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 19 total offices, Holding Company: United Security Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (68%)
- Utility gas (27%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Wood (2%)
- No fuel used (1%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Brent city (based on Bibb County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Bibb County:||3.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bibb County:||7.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||10||$4,369|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$2,806||$33,672||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||5||$18,663||$44,791||3||$2,504|
|Streets and Highways||6||$15,534||$31,068||2||$2,395|
|Totals for Government||22||$63,848||$34,826||15||$9,268|
Brent government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $547,000 ($111.84)
Police Protection: $198,000 ($40.48)
Sewerage: $182,000 ($37.21)
Regular Highways: $61,000 ($12.47)
Financial Administration: $56,000 ($11.45)
Libraries: $10,000 ($2.04)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $156,000 ($31.90)
Brent government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $182,000 ($37.21)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $5,000 ($1.02)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $547,000 ($111.84)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $117,000 ($23.92)
Highways: $111,000 ($22.69)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $265,000 ($54.18)
Motor Vehicle License: $8,000 ($1.64)
Brent government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $176,000 ($35.98)
6.41% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,052 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Tuscaloosa County, AL||1.70% ($32,973 average AGI)|
|from Jefferson County, AL||1.22% ($30,875)|
|from Shelby County, AL||0.72% ($31,766)|
6.35% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,978 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Brent:
- WBIB (1110 AM; daytime; 1 kW; CENTREVILLE, AL)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WJUS (1310 AM; 5 kW; MARION, AL; Owner: GRACE BAPTIST TEMPLE CHURCH)
- WTSK (790 AM; 5 kW; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: APEX BROADCASTING INC.)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WACT (1420 AM; 5 kW; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWPG (1280 AM; 5 kW; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: LAWSON OF TUSCALOOSA, INC.)
- WSPZ (1150 AM; 5 kW; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: RADIO SOUTH, INC)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
- WMSP (740 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Brent:
- WANZ (100.7 FM; NORTHPORT, AL; Owner: APEX BRAODCASTING INC.)
- WDXB (102.5 FM; JASPER, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTUG-FM (92.9 FM; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: APEX BROADCASTING INC.)
- WBHJ (95.7 FM; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WUAL-FM (91.5 FM; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA)
- WODL (97.3 FM; HOMEWOOD, AL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WBHK (98.7 FM; WARRIOR, AL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WMJJ (96.5 FM; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZZK-FM (104.7 FM; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WYSF (94.5 FM; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBPT (106.9 FM; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WQEN (103.7 FM; GADSDEN, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDGM (99.1 FM; GREENSBORO, AL; Owner: WARRIOR BROADCASTING INC.)
- WBHM (90.3 FM; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: BD OF TRUSTEES/U OF AL AT BIRMINGHAM)
- WZRR (99.5 FM; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WDJC-FM (93.7 FM; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WTXT (98.1 FM; FAYETTE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQEM (101.5 FM; COLUMBIANA, AL; Owner: GLEN IRIS BAPTIST SCHOOL)
- WQZZ (104.3 FM; EUTAW, AL; Owner: JIM LAWSON COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEZZ-FM (97.7 FM; CLANTON, AL; Owner: SOUTHEASTERN BROADCASTING CO., INC)
TV broadcast stations around Brent:
- WDBB (Channel 17; BESSEMER, AL; Owner: WDBB-TV, INC.)
- WCFT-TV (Channel 33; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: TV ALABAMA, INCORPORATED)
- WBIH (Channel 29; SELMA, AL; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLDM (Channel 23; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: CHANNEL 23, LLC)
- W46BU (Channel 46; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WVUA-CA (Channel 7; TUSCALOOSA/NORTHPORT, AL; Owner: THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA)
- WDVZ-CA (Channel 3; GREENSBORO, AL; Owner: TTI, INC.)
- WABM (Channel 68; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: BIRMINGHAM (WABM-TV) LICENSEE, INC.)
- WIAT (Channel 42; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBIQ (Channel 10; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- WTTO (Channel 21; HOMEWOOD, AL; Owner: WTTO LICENSEE, LLC)
- WBRC (Channel 6; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: WBRC LICENSE, INC.)
- WVTM-TV (Channel 13; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: BIRMINGHAM BROADCASTING (WVTM-TV), LLC)
- WJMY-CA (Channel 28; DEMOPOLIS, AL; Owner: TTI, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 7Number of bridges
- 74m243ftTotal length
- $24,515,000Total costs
- 19,320Total average daily traffic
- 3,512Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:32 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Brent)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:2
- Off Cr 1 (Lat: 32.924833 Lon: -87.200000), Type: Tower, Structure height: 146 m, Call Sign: WPFR749
Assigned Frequencies: 859.287 MHz, 859.337 MHz, 859.362 MHz, 859.387 MHz, 860.287 MHz, 860.337 MHz, 860.362 MHz, 860.387 MHz
Grant Date: 06/30/2009, Expiration Date: 06/08/2019
Registrant: Southernlinc Wireless, 4601 Southlake Parkway - Suite 150, Hoover, AL 35244, Phone: (205) 257-1300, Fax: (205) 874-3953, Email:
- Off Cr 1 (Lat: 32.924833 Lon: -87.200000), Type: Tower, Structure height: 146 m, Call Sign: WQJM693
Assigned Frequencies: 855.887 MHz, 855.162 MHz
Grant Date: 04/28/2009, Expiration Date: 06/08/2019, Certifier: Robin J Cohen
Registrant: Sprint Nextel Corporation, 12502 Sunrise Valley Drive, Reston, VA 20191, Phone: (703) 433-4000, Fax: (703) 433-4483
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- 10393 Highway 5 (Lat: 32.937222 Lon: -87.164722), Call Sign: WPXA486
Assigned Frequencies: 468.762 MHz, 468.837 MHz, 469.137 MHz, 469.462 MHz, 469.637 MHz, 469.662 MHz, 469.887 MHz, 457.512 MHz, 457.537 MHz, 457.562 MHz, 457.587 MHz, 457.612 MHz
Grant Date: 02/20/2003, Expiration Date: 02/20/2013, Cancellation Date: 04/27/2013, Certifier: Stanley Rubenstein Dr
Registrant: Hm Electronics, Inc., 6675 Mesa Ridge Rd, San Diego, CA 92121, Phone: (858) 535-6015, Fax: (858) 452-7207, Email:
- Lat: 32.939833 Lon: -87.176333, Call Sign: WQCH387
Assigned Frequencies: 451.187 MHz, 451.237 MHz, 451.287 MHz, 451.312 MHz, 451.337 MHz
Grant Date: 03/03/2005, Expiration Date: 03/03/2015, Certifier: Scott Davis
Registrant: Tuscaloosa Communications Inc, 3720 Hargrove Road, East, Tuscaloosa, AL 35405, Phone: (205) 553-2122, Fax: (205) 556-0494
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- Brent, Off Cr 1 (Lat: 32.925278 Lon: -87.199444), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 146.3 m, Overall height: 151.5 m, Call Sign: WPNI925
Assigned Frequencies: 928.556 MHz, 952.556 MHz
Grant Date: 12/19/2012, Expiration Date: 01/08/2023
Registrant: Levine, Blaszak, Block & Boothby, LLP, 2001 L Street, Nw, Suite 900, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (202) 857-2574, Fax: (202) 223-0833, Email:
- HARMON, 1570 Wreckless Road (Lat: 33.035361 Lon: -87.263778), Type: Tower, Structure height: 107 m, Overall height: 110.3 m, Call Sign: WQPD722
Assigned Frequencies: 6286.19 MHz
Grant Date: 04/17/2012, Expiration Date: 04/17/2022, Certifier: Pamelia Y Hoof
Registrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy, #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
- AG CENTREVI2, 199 Midstate Drive (Al9885-A) (Lat: 32.960389 Lon: -87.172778), Type: Tower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 94.5 m, Call Sign: WQPT231
Assigned Frequencies: 10875.0 MHz, 19375.0 MHz
Grant Date: 08/08/2012, Expiration Date: 08/08/2022, Certifier: Chris Harris
Registrant: Conterra Ultra Broadband, LLC, 2101 Rexford Rd, Ste 200e, Charlotte, NC 28211, Phone: (704) 936-1801, Fax: (704) 936-1801, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Brent)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: BELCHER WILLIAM B II FIRESTAR (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 503 DCDI (52 HP) (2 Cycle)
N-Number: 43341 , Serial Number: FS 692, Airworthiness Date: 10/13/2009
Registrant (Individual): William B Ii Belcher, Po Box 660, Brent, AL 35034
|Most common first names in Brent, AL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Brent, AL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Brent, AL|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||T-Mobile||1|
Brent on our top lists:
- #18 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below 50% of the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28"
- #30 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Lumber and other construction materials merchant wholesalers"
- #49 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in state prisons"
- #60 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28"
- #67 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most Black residents"
- #31 (35034) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Unclassified or not reported first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"