We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||38.7 years|
|Texas median age:||32.3 years|
Zip code: 78608
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $27,752 (it was $18,838 in 2000)
Briggs CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $188,965 (it was $91,400 in 2000)
Races in Briggs, TX (2000)
- 1,32190.5%White alone
- 221.5%Two or more races
- 120.8%American Indian alone
- 80.5%Black alone
- 60.4%Asian alone
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 225.4 square miles.
Population density: 8.2 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Briggs:
- High school or higher: 78.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.2%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 34.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Briggs CCD:
- Never married: 13.5%
- Now married: 72.2%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 8.2%
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Briggs, Texas as of December 16, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Briggs to the number of sex offenders is 617 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Briggs CCD:||0.5% ($471)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Killeen, TX (18.3 miles , pop. 86,911).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Austin, TX (45.4 miles , pop. 656,562).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: San Antonio, TX (107.6 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Kempner, TX (3.2 miles ), Southwest Bell, TX (3.4 miles ), Florence, TX (3.4 miles ), Copperas Cove, TX (3.7 miles ), Bertram, TX (3.8 miles ), Lampasas, TX (4.0 miles ), Fort Hood, TX (4.2 miles ), Killeen, TX (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 30.93 N, Longitude: 97.96 W
Area code: 512
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (25%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (5%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Furniture and home furnishings, and household appliance stores (4%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Finance and insurance (11%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (8%)
- Health care (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (14%)
- Farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Business operations specialists (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (11%)
- Customer service representatives (11%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (5%)
- Other protective service workers including supervisors (5%)
Average climate in Briggs, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Briggs-area historical tornado activity is near Texas state average. It is 38% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/27/1997, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 20.5 miles away from the Briggs place center killed 27 people and injured 12 people and caused $40 million in damages.
On 3/10/1973, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 13.7 miles away from the place center injured 40 people.
Earthquake activity:Briggs-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 219.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 325.1 miles away from Briggs center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 147.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 318.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/7/2008 at 09:51:12, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 MB, 3.9 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 139.3 miles away from Briggs center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 272.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Burnet County (13) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 5, Fires: 4, Hurricanes: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Sam Langford (baseball) - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers near Briggs:
- GREENLEAF CTR INC KILLEEN (Hospital, about 13 miles away; KILLEEN, TX)
- METROPLEX HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 13 miles away; KILLEEN, TX)
- TRINITY HOME HEALTHCARE SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; COPPERAS COVE, TX)
- HILL COUNTRY REHAB AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; COPPERAS COVE, TX)
- BERTRAM COMMUNITY RESIDENCE (Hospital, about 15 miles away; BERTRAM, TX)
- FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE LAMPASAS (Dialysis Facility, about 16 miles away; LAMPASAS, TX)
Airports and other landing facilities located in Briggs:
- Flying 'K' Airport (TA27) (Runways: 1)
- J R Ranch Airport (15TA) (Runways: 1)
- Skotz Airfield Airport (99XA) (Runways: 1)
- Stiletto Airpark Airport (XS79) (Runways: 1)
- Flf Gliderport (TX23)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Briggs:
- Central Texas College (about 16 miles; Killeen, TX; Full-time enrollment: 15,911)
- University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (about 31 miles; Belton, TX; FT enrollment: 2,885)
- Concordia University-Texas (about 37 miles; Austin, TX; FT enrollment: 2,192)
- Temple College (about 38 miles; Temple, TX; FT enrollment: 3,796)
- Austin Community College District (about 45 miles; Austin, TX; FT enrollment: 25,957)
- The University of Texas at Austin (about 47 miles; Austin, TX; FT enrollment: 45,500)
- Saint Edward's University (about 51 miles; Austin, TX; FT enrollment: 4,308)
Notable locations in Briggs: Blacks Fort (A), Briggs Fire Department (B), Oakalla Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Fairview Cemetery (1), Bailey Cemetery (2), Mahomet Cemetery (3), Ethridge Cemetery (4), Gillum Cemetery (5), Strickling Cemetery (6), Toby Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Panther Den Branch (A), Burnet Branch (B), Campbells Branch (C), Rocky Creek (D), Ramsey Nursery Branch (E), Pool Branch (F), Olive Branch (G), Miller Branch (H), McDaniel Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 76.9. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 32.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 19.8 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Briggs CCD (based on Burnet County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Burnet County:||1.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Burnet County:||1.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Burnet County:||5.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
8.42% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($44,757 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Travis County, TX||1.10% ($52,809 average AGI)|
|from Llano County, TX||1.08% ($28,247)|
|from Williamson County, TX||1.03% ($46,158)|
8.07% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($38,409 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Briggs:
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KLBJ (590 AM; 5 kW; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: EMMIS AUSTIN RADIO BROADCASTING COMPANY, L.P.)
- KCYL (1450 AM; 1 kW; LAMPASAS, TX; Owner: RONALD K. WITCHER)
- WMOP (900 AM; 5 kW; OCALA, FL; Owner: FLORIDA SPORTSTALK, INC.)
- KVET (1300 AM; 5 kW; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KRZX (1660 AM; 10 kW; WACO, TX; Owner: VAN D. GOODALL, JR.)
- KHLB (1340 AM; 1 kW; BURNET, TX; Owner: EQUICOM, INC.)
- KENS (1160 AM; 25 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KENS-TV, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Briggs:
- KDHT (93.3 FM; CEDAR PARK, TX; Owner: EMMIS AUSTIN RADIO BROADCASTING COMPANY, L.P.)
- KHHL (98.9 FM; LEANDER, TX; Owner: AMIGO RADIO, LTD.)
- KSSM (103.1 FM; COPPERAS COVE, TX; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KNCT-FM (91.3 FM; KILLEEN, TX; Owner: CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE)
- KFMK (105.9 FM; ROUND ROCK, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KVLT (88.5 FM; TEMPLE, TX; Owner: AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING, INC)
- KUSJ (105.5 FM; HARKER HEIGHTS, TX; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KBEY (92.5 FM; BURNET, TX; Owner: MUNBILLA BROADCASTING PROPERTIES, LTD.)
- KHFI-FM (96.7 FM; GEORGETOWN, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WACO-FM (99.9 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWTX-FM (97.5 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KAMX (94.7 FM; LULING, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY RADIO L.P.)
- KKMJ-FM (95.5 FM; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY RADIO L.P.)
- KMFA (89.5 FM; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: CAPITOL BROADCASTING ASSOCIATION, INC)
- KASE-FM (100.7 FM; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KLFX (107.3 FM; NOLANVILLE, TX; Owner: SHELDON BROADCASTING, LTD.)
- KHLB-FM (106.9 FM; BURNET, TX; Owner: EQUICOM, INC)
- KVET-FM (98.1 FM; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KLBJ-FM (93.7 FM; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: EMMIS AUSTIN RADIO BROADCASTING COMPANY, L.P.)
- KBGO (95.7 FM; WACO, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Briggs:
- KAKW (Channel 62; KILLEEN, TX; Owner: KAKW LICENSE PARTNERSHIP, L.P.)
- KNCT (Channel 46; BELTON, TX; Owner: CENTRAL TEXAS COLLEGE)
- KWKT (Channel 44; WACO, TX; Owner: COMCORP OF TEXAS LICENSE CORP.)
- KCEN-TV (Channel 6; TEMPLE, TX; Owner: CHANNEL 6, INC.)
- KXXV (Channel 25; WACO, TX; Owner: CENTEX TELEVISION LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KXAM-TV (Channel 14; LLANO, TX; Owner: KXAN, INC)
- K16CY (Channel 16; KILLEEN, TX; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- KTBC (Channel 7; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: KTBC LICENSE, INC.)
- KWTX-TV (Channel 10; WACO, TX; Owner: KWTX-KBTX LICENSEE CORP.)
- KEYE-TV (Channel 42; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: CBS STATIONS GROUP OF TEXAS L.P.)
- KVUE (Channel 24; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: KVUE TELEVISION, INC.)
- KLRU (Channel 18; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: CAPITAL OF TEXAS PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COUNCIL)
- KXAN-TV (Channel 36; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: KXAN, INC.)
- KNVA (Channel 54; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: 54 BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KPLE-LP (Channel 31; KILLEEN, TX; Owner: KILLEEN CHRISTIAN B/CING.CORPORATION)
- KBVO-CA (Channel 49; AUSTIN, TX; Owner: KXAN, INC.)
- KHPX-CA (Channel 48; GEORGETOWN, TX; Owner: KXAN, INC.)
- KHPZ-CA (Channel 64; ROUND ROCK, TX; Owner: KXAN, INC.)
Briggs fatal accident list:
Jul 23, 2009 04:55 PM, Us-183, Lp308, Lat: 30.88889, Lon: -97.92998, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
May 29, 2006 04:50 AM, Us-183, Lat: 30.88980, Lon: -97.93291, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Mar 15, 1999 10:04 PM, Loop308, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Mar 24, 1978 11:15 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 2
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Briggs)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:20 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- BRIGGS, 1600 Ft W From The Int Of Us 183 & Sr 2657 (Briggs Site) (Lat: 30.887667 Lon: -97.935111), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 97.5 m, Call Sign: WQTK241
Assigned Frequencies: 6212.06 MHzGrant Date: 02/20/2014, Expiration Date: 02/20/2024, Certifier: Kevin B CoyneRegistrant: Fiberlight, LLC, 4360 Beltway Pl, Suite 230, Arlington, TX 76018, Phone: (972) 832-3176, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KF5SSV, Licensee ID: L01746693, Grant Date: 11/16/2012, Expiration Date: 11/16/2022, Certifier: Mary Elizabeth Kirick, Registrant: Mary Elizabeth Kirick, 791 Mill Creek Ranch Rd, Briggs, TX 78608
- Call Sign: KF5STD, Licensee ID: L01746701, Grant Date: 11/16/2012, Expiration Date: 11/16/2022, Certifier: Timothy L Cannavan, Registrant: Timothy L Cannavan, 890 Mill Creek Ranch Rd, Briggs, TX 78608
Drinking water stations with addresses in Briggs and their reported violations in the past:JS MARKET (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
- One minor monitoring violation
- One regular monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 24
- Hazardous Condition: 26
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Briggs
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (49%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (36%)
- Wood (13%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Briggs compared to Texas state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.