|Median resident age:||45.3 years|
|Texas median age:||32.3 years|
Zip code: 75977
Burkeville CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $83,188 (it was $46,800 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,657 (76.2%)
- Black alone - 437 (20.1%)
- Hispanic - 44 (2.0%)
- American Indian alone - 19 (0.9%)
- Two or more races - 14 (0.6%)
- Asian alone - 2 (0.09%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 2 (0.09%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 300.4 square miles.
Population density: 6.6 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Burkeville:
- High school or higher: 69.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 39.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Burkeville CCD:
- Never married: 14.9%
- Now married: 66.5%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 8.3%
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Burkeville, Texas as of March 28, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Burkeville to the number of sex offenders is 994 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Burkeville CCD:||0.6% ($298)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lake Charles, LA (67.4 miles , pop. 71,757).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Shreveport, LA (95.6 miles , pop. 200,145).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (135.3 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: South Toledo Bend, TX (2.9 miles ), Browndell, TX (4.0 miles ), Newton, TX (4.1 miles ), Pineland, TX (4.4 miles ), Sam Rayburn, TX (4.4 miles ), Hemphill, TX (4.4 miles ), Jasper, TX (4.5 miles ), Anacoco, LA (5.0 miles ).
Latitude: 31.09 N, Longitude: 93.71 W
Area code: 409
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (21%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (16%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Educational services (24%)
- Health care (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (7%)
- U. S. Postal service (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Electricians (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (12%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Burkeville, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Burkeville-area historical tornado activity is near Texas state average. It is 48% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/2/1999, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 14.4 miles away from the Burkeville place center killed one person and injured 6 people and caused $750,000 in damages.
On 12/3/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 39.3 miles away from the place center killed 9 people and injured 50 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Burkeville-area historical earthquake activity is below Texas state average. It is 83% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/10/2006 at 04:14:22, a magnitude 5.3 (4.2 MB, 5.3 MS, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 308.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 295.5 miles away from Burkeville center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 298.1 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 370.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 293.3 miles away from Burkeville center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 434.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Newton County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 6, Fires: 4, Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Burkeville:
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana (about 59 miles; Natchitoches, LA; Full-time enrollment: 7,700)
- Angelina College (about 62 miles; Lufkin, TX; FT enrollment: 3,478)
- Stephen F Austin State University (about 63 miles; Nacogdoches, TX; FT enrollment: 11,542)
- SOWELA Technical Community College (about 69 miles; Lake Charles, LA; FT enrollment: 2,160)
- McNeese State University (about 70 miles; Lake Charles, LA; FT enrollment: 7,444)
- Lamar Institute of Technology (about 76 miles; Beaumont, TX; FT enrollment: 2,023)
- Lamar University (about 76 miles; Beaumont, TX; FT enrollment: 13,658)
Public high school in Burkeville:
- Burkeville High School (Students: 100; Location: 231 CR 2099; Grades: 9-12; Our rating: 27)
Public elementary/middle schools in Burkeville:
Notable locations in Burkeville: Mayflower Lookout (A), Beef Trail Campground (B), Toledo Bend Volunteer Fire Department (C), Newton County Emergency Services District 4 (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Burkeville include: Pleasant Hill Church (A), Sycamore Church (B), Faith Chapel (C), Spears Chapel (D), Macedonia Church (E), Saint Luke Church (F), Mount Hope Church (G), Mount Pleasant Church (H), Mount Olive Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Wells Cemetery (1), Saint Johns Cemetery (2), Mattox Cemetery (3), Hardy Cemetery (4), Eddie Gatson Cemetery (5), Mitchell Cemetery (6), Simmons Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Bird Lake (A), Pine Bluff Lake (B), Catfish Lake (C), Wood Lake (D), Horseshoe Lake (E), Labar Lake (F), Yellow Lake (G), Evans Old River (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Bridge Creek (A), Brack Creek (B), Black Branch (C), Belcher Creek (D), Bear Branch (E), Bayou Branch (F), Balance Branch (G), Yellow Bayou (H), McNorton Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Circle T Lodge (Route 1 Box 225) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Burkeville and their reported violations in the past:BURKEVILLE WSC (Population served: 894, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:USFS INDIAN MOUND RECREATION AREA (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
- 2 minor monitoring violations
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
Drinking water stations with addresses in Burkeville that have no violations reported:
- USFS LAKEVIEW RECREATION AREA (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
|This place:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Burkeville compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (55%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (33%)
- Wood (10%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Burkeville CCD (based on Newton County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 41.39%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||American Baptist Association||Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Newton County:||2.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Newton County:||2.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Newton County:||7.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||2.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
8.24% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,883 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Jasper County, TX||2.20% ($34,976 average AGI)|
|from Orange County, TX||0.99% ($30,158)|
|from Jefferson County, TX||0.84% ($45,719)|
7.56% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,258 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Burkeville:
- KTXJ (1350 AM; 5 kW; JASPER, TX; Owner: LASTING VALUE RADIO, INC.)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KWKH (1130 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KPBL (1240 AM; 1 kW; HEMPHILL, TX; Owner: PHILLIP BURR)
- KLVI (560 AM; 5 kW; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWDF (840 AM; daytime; 8 kW; BALL, LA; Owner: BALL BROADCASTING CO.)
- KJMJ (580 AM; 5 kW; ALEXANDRIA, LA; Owner: RADIO MARIA, INC.)
- KSEV (700 AM; 15 kW; TOMBALL, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KILE (1560 AM; 50 kW; BELLAIRE, TX; Owner: THE RAFTT CORPORATION)
- KDLA (1010 AM; 1 kW; DE RIDDER, LA; Owner: WILLIS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Burkeville:
- KWYX (102.7 FM; JASPER, TX; Owner: LASTING VALUE RADIO, INC.)
- K225AD (92.9 FM; JASPER, TX; Owner: THE KSBJ EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- KNUF (92.1 FM; DE RIDDER, LA; Owner: APEX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KTHP (103.9 FM; HEMPHILL, TX; Owner: BALDRIDGE-DUMAS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KJAE (93.5 FM; LEESVILLE, LA; Owner: PENE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KJAS (107.3 FM; JASPER, TX; Owner: JAMES M. LOUT DBA RAYBURN BROADCASTING CO.)
TV broadcast stations around Burkeville:
- KVHP-LP (Channel 66; JASPER, TX; Owner: SYDCOM, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 3
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 4
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 0
- Fatalities: 4
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 3
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 177
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 268
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 51
- Fatalities: 194
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 461
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 26
Burkeville fatal accident list:
Feb 21, 2006 07:30 PM, Sr-87, Lat: 30.97534, Lon: -93.67598, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Aug 18, 2000 01:50 PM, Sr-87, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Burkeville)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:1
- Scrappin Valley Landing Strip (Lat: 31.142694 Lon: -93.748778), Type: Tower, Overall height: 0 m, Call Sign: KWI7
Assigned Frequencies: 122.800 MHz
Grant Date: 06/16/2009, Expiration Date: 05/10/2019
Registrant: Temple Inland, 303 S Temple Drive, Diboll, TX 75941, Phone: (936) 829-7885, Fax: (936) 829-1699, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Burkeville)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 3
|Most common first names in Burkeville, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Burkeville, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|