Burlington, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||44.4 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 13315.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $22,959 (it was $15,184 in 2000)
Burlington town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $138,944 (it was $69,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $184,577; Detached houses: $190,159; Townhouses or other attached units: $279,129; In 2-unit structures: $195,595; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $558,527; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $122,773; Mobile homes: $79,323
Races in Burlington, NY (2010)
- 1,10296.7%White alone
- 161.4%Two or more races
- 100.9%Black alone
- 30.3%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Small businesses are especially popular in Florida Mar 28
- Early delinquencies are more likely for higher income borrowers Mar 26
- Selecting an airline for a trip Mar 24
- People with mortgaged homes are the least risky borrowers Mar 22
- Food services is among the worst-performing sectors in the Midwest Mar 20
|Plattsburgh and Burlington as "twin cities"? (8 replies)|
|Upstate NY job openings...... (436 replies)|
|Moving to Plattsburgh or Burlington (5 replies)|
|Here go East Harlem come. City going ahead with massive redevelopment of East 125th Street (79 replies)|
|Successful relocation from Long Beach, CA to Glens Falls (43 replies)|
|Plattsburgh vs. Burlington - Commuting question (4 replies)|
Latest news from Burlington, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (16.6%), English (16.4%), German (14.3%), United States (9.8%), Dutch (7.5%), Welsh (6.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1542 feet
Land area: 45.0 square miles.
Population density: 25 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Burlington:
- High school or higher: 78.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.0%
- Unemployed: 3.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Burlington town:
- Never married: 22.3%
- Now married: 61.4%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 5.7%
- Divorced: 8.0%
15 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Burlington town:||1.8% ($1,244)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Utica, NY (25.9 miles , pop. 60,651).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Rochester, NY (128.7 miles , pop. 219,773).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (145.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Exeter, NY (2.2 miles ), Edmeston, NY (2.3 miles ), New Lisbon, NY (2.6 miles ), Plainfield, NY (2.6 miles ), Hartwick, NY (3.0 miles ), Otsego, NY (3.0 miles ), Pittsfield, NY (3.2 miles ), Richfield, NY (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 42.73 N, Longitude: 75.14 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 607
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (13%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Health care (6%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Food (5%)
- Finance and insurance (30%)
- Health care (20%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (4%)
- Pharmacies and drug stores (3%)
- Social assistance (3%)
- Personal and laundry services (3%)
- Farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Business operations specialists (7%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
- Other financial specialists (4%)
Average climate in Burlington, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Burlington-area historical tornado activity is slightly below New York state average. It is 68% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.8 miles away from the Burlington town center injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 13.9 miles away from the town center injured 3 people and caused $800,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Burlington-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 93.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 141.0 miles away from Burlington center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 24.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 186.6 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 282.8 miles away from Burlington center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 172.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Otsego County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Floods: 7, Hurricanes: 3, Tropical Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Power Outage: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Cedric Jackson - College basketball player (St. John's Red Storm).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Burlington:
- SUNY Oneonta (about 19 miles; Oneonta, NY; Full-time enrollment: 6,081)
- Colgate University (about 21 miles; Hamilton, NY; FT enrollment: 3,094)
- Herkimer County Community College (about 23 miles; Herkimer, NY; FT enrollment: 2,774)
- Mohawk Valley Community College (about 25 miles; Utica, NY; FT enrollment: 5,693)
- Morrisville State College (about 27 miles; Morrisville, NY; FT enrollment: 2,823)
- Utica College (about 27 miles; Utica, NY; FT enrollment: 2,952)
- SUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill (about 33 miles; Cobleskill, NY; FT enrollment: 2,455)
Notable locations in Burlington: Beverly Inn Corners (A), Salo's Tree Farm (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Burlington include: United Methodist Church (A), Burlington Flats Baptist Church (B), First Baptist Church of Burlington (C), Saint Johns Lutheran Church (D), Church of Christ (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Burlington Cemetery (1), Peck Cemetery (2), Burlington Flats Cemetery (3), Old United Presbyterian Church Cemetery (4), Quaker Cemetery (5), Butternut Valley Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Zimmerman Pond (A), Cranberry Bog (B), Gardner Pond (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Fly Brook (A), Dundee Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.5 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Burlington town (based on Otsego County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Otsego County:||2.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Otsego County:||0.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Otsego County:||5.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.89% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,759 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Delaware County, NY||0.75% ($31,408 average AGI)|
|from Chenango County, NY||0.49% ($28,873)|
|from Schoharie County, NY||0.16% ($28,432)|
5.43% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($37,553 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Burlington:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WTLB (1310 AM; 5 kW; UTICA, NY; Owner: GALAXY COMMUNICATIONS, L.P.)
- WIBX (950 AM; 5 kW; UTICA, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF UTICA/ROME, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRUN (1150 AM; 5 kW; UTICA, NY)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WDOS (730 AM; 1 kW; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: ULTIMATE B/CASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WSYR (570 AM; 5 kW; SYRACUSE, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Burlington:
- WJIV (101.9 FM; CHERRY VALLEY, NY; Owner: CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING SYSTEM, LTD.)
- WGKR (105.3 FM; GRAND GORGE, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WKXZ (93.9 FM; NORWICH, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC)
- WBKT (95.3 FM; NORWICH, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC)
- WOUR (96.9 FM; UTICA, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WUNY (89.5 FM; UTICA, NY; Owner: PUBLIC BC COUNCIL OF CENTRAL NY, INC)
- WSQC-FM (91.7 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: WSKG PUBLIC TELECOMM. COUNCIL)
- WSRK (103.9 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: ULTIMATE B/CASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WSKS (97.9 FM; WHITESBORO, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKVU (100.7 FM; UTICA, NY; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- WRBY (102.5 FM; ROME, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDHI (100.3 FM; DELHI, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WBUG-FM (101.1 FM; FORT PLAIN, NY; Owner: ROSER COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, INC.)
- WBGK (99.7 FM; NEWPORT VILLAGE, NY; Owner: ROSER COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, INC.)
- WLZW (98.7 FM; UTICA, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF UTICA/ROME, INC.)
- WSKU (105.5 FM; LITTLE FALLS, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKLL (94.9 FM; FRANKFORT, NY; Owner: GALAXY COMMUNICATIONS, L.P.)
- WMCR-FM (106.3 FM; ONEIDA, NY; Owner: WARREN BROADCASTING CO. INC.)
- WFRG-FM (104.3 FM; UTICA, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF UTICA/ROME, INC.)
- WZOZ (103.1 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Burlington:
- W29BJ (Channel 29; BURLINGTON, NY; Owner: KEVIN O'KANE)
- WKTV (Channel 2; UTICA, NY; Owner: SMITH TELEVISION OF NEW YORK LICENSE HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WFXV (Channel 33; UTICA, NY; Owner: QUORUM OF UTICA LICENSE, LLC)
- W59AU (Channel 59; UTICA, NY; Owner: PUBLIC B/CING.COUNCIL,CENTRAL N. Y.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 9Number of bridges
- 19m62ftTotal length
- $3,905,000Total costs
- 6,465Total average daily traffic
- 487Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,445Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Burlington)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:23 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Lat: 42.713889 Lon: -75.145556, Call Sign: WPUE518
Assigned Frequencies: 453.887 MHz, 458.887 MHzGrant Date: 11/23/2011, Expiration Date: 02/15/2022, Certifier: Roy AlthiserRegistrant: Otsego County 911 Communications, 172 County Highway 33w, Cooperstown, NY 13326, Phone: (607) 547-7530, Fax: (607) 547-7529, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- Edmeston, 221 Clock Rd (Lat: 42.715278 Lon: -75.143167), Type: Mast, Structure height: 76.2 m, Overall height: 79.3 m, Call Sign: WQHL854
Assigned Frequencies: 6745.00 MHzGrant Date: 09/05/2007, Expiration Date: 09/05/2017, Cancellation Date: 02/26/2014, Certifier: Pamelia Y HoofRegistrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy, #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
- BURLINGTON, 2 Mi Ene Of (Lat: 42.713944 Lon: -75.145417), Overall height: 63.4 m, Call Sign: WGW490
Assigned Frequencies: 3710.00 MHz, 3730.00 MHz, 5945.20 MHz, 3790.00 MHz, 3810.00 MHz, 6004.50 MHz, 3870.00 MHz, 3890.00 MHz, 6063.80 MHz, 3950.00 MHz, 3970.00 MHz, 6123.10 MHzGrant Date: 12/19/2000, Expiration Date: 02/01/2011, Cancellation Date: 10/31/2008, Certifier: Karen ZachariaRegistrant: Mci Communications Services, Inc., 2400 N. Glenville Drive, Dept/Loc 71216/107, Richardson, TX 75082, Phone: (972) 729-6406, Fax: (972) 729-2690, Email:
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (65%)
- Wood (17%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (11%)
- Electricity (6%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Burlington compared to New York state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2017.