Butler: Looking South on Hwy 71
Butler: butler lake
Butler: butler lake
Butler: Butler Square
Butler: Butler Square
Butler: aerial photo of butler missouri
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||36.3 years|
|Missouri median age:||38.4 years|
Zip codes: 64730.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $17,861 (it was $15,237 in 2000)
Butler city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $78,065 (it was $56,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $152,916; Detached houses: $159,477; Townhouses or other attached units: $268,725; Mobile homes: $69,878; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $11,876
Median gross rent in 2015: $591.
Races in Butler, MO (2010)
- 3,91592.8%White alone
- 1122.7%Black alone
- 611.4%Two or more races
- 210.5%American Indian alone
- 90.2%Asian alone
- 20.05%Other race alone
- 10.02%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Small businesses are especially popular in Florida Mar 28
- Early delinquencies are more likely for higher income borrowers Mar 26
- Selecting an airline for a trip Mar 24
- People with mortgaged homes are the least risky borrowers Mar 22
- Food services is among the worst-performing sectors in the Midwest Mar 20
|Interesting Missouri facts. (687 replies)|
|Is St. Louis a Southern city? (742 replies)|
|Missouri Outlaw History (526 replies)|
|Kansas City development and construction thread (354 replies)|
|What Do You Hate About Kansas City (324 replies)|
|Why is Missouri so southern? (259 replies)|
Latest news from Butler, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (20.3%), German (12.8%), English (10.9%), Irish (9.6%), Dutch (3.0%), Scottish (2.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1858
Elevation: 863 feet
Land area: 3.86 square miles.
Population density: 1,068 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Butler:
- High school or higher: 82.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.6%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Butler city:
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 44.0%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 10.0%
- Divorced: 20.7%
13 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 18 registered sex offenders living in Butler, Missouri as of March 29, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Butler to the number of sex offenders is 231 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $691 (1.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $839 (0.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lee's Summit, MO (46.0 miles , pop. 70,700).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Kansas City, MO (57.8 miles , pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (402.0 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Passaic, MO (2.1 miles) , Adrian, MO (3.1 miles ), Foster, MO (3.4 miles) , Rich Hill, MO (3.4 miles ), Amoret, MO (3.7 miles ), Amsterdam, MO (3.9 miles ), Archie, MO (3.9 miles ), Merwin, MO (4.1 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 7 buildings, average cost: $116,400
- 1998: 4 buildings, average cost: $88,200
- 1999: 9 buildings, average cost: $93,100
- 2001: 6 buildings, average cost: $121,500
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $159,500
- 2003: 8 buildings, average cost: $112,700
- 2004: 21 buildings, average cost: $82,600
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $73,000
- 2006: 13 buildings, average cost: $74,500
- 2007: 5 buildings, average cost: $125,200
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $115,000
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $152,000
- 2010: 19 buildings, average cost: $129,800
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $511,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $192,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $250,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $260,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 38.26 N, Longitude: 94.33 W
Area code: 660
|Crime rates in Butler by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.7)||448.2||392.4||268.8||269.8||265.5||139.5||197.6||193.2||198.0||267.8||290.5||252.1||288.4||261.6||356.4|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Butler detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.44|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +30 (+0.7%).
- Retail trade (25%)
- Construction (21%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (37%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (19%)
- Sales and related occupations (17%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
- Production occupations (6%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Healthcare support occupations (15%)
- Sales and related occupations (12%)
- Personal care and service occupations (9%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
Average climate in Butler, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Butler-area historical tornado activity is near Missouri state average. It is 63% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/20/1957, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 50.0 miles away from the Butler city center killed 44 people and injured 207 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/4/1977, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 16.6 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and injured 15 people.
Earthquake activity:Butler-area historical earthquake activity is near Missouri state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 273.2 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 274.2 miles away from Butler center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 350.0 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 286.2 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 242.3 miles away from Butler center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 244.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Bates County (18) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Tornadoes: 6, Winter Storms: 4, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Robert Heinlein, Wesley Bolin - Politician, Stan Wall - Baseball player, Warren Dee Welliver - Judge.
Hospitals and medical centers in Butler:
- BATES COUNTY HOSPICE (501 NORTH ORANGE)
- BATES COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (Government - Local, provides emergency services, 615 W NURSERY ST)
- HEARTLAND HOSPICE SERVICES (4 WEST OHIO STREET, SUITE 2-B)
- HEARTLAND OF WILLOW LANE (416 SOUTH HIGH STREET)
- MEDICALODGES BUTLER (103 EAST NURSERY)
- NURSING CTR (416 S HIGH)
- WILLOW LANE NURSING CTR (416 S HIGH ST)
- DSI - BUTLER RENAL CENTER (601 W NURSERY)
- BATES COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL HOMECARE (PO BOX 370)
Airports and heliports located in Butler:
- Butler Memorial Airport (BUM) (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 220, Itinerant Ops: 3,500, Local Ops: 1,850, Military Ops: 40)
- Bates County Hospital Heliport (81MO)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Butler:
- University of Central Missouri (about 48 miles; Warrensburg, MO; Full-time enrollment: 9,952)
- MidAmerica Nazarene University (about 49 miles; Olathe, KS; FT enrollment: 2,158)
- Wright Career College (about 51 miles; Overland Park, KS; FT enrollment: 3,107)
- Johnson County Community College (about 51 miles; Overland Park, KS; FT enrollment: 11,976)
- Rockhurst University (about 55 miles; Kansas City, MO; FT enrollment: 2,013)
- University of Missouri-Kansas City (about 56 miles; Kansas City, MO; FT enrollment: 10,544)
- Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City (about 58 miles; Kansas City, MO; FT enrollment: 12,834)
Public high schools in Butler:
Public elementary/middle schools in Butler:
- BUTLER ELEM. (Students: 554, Location: 4 N HIGH ST, Grades: PK-6)
- BALLARD ELEM. (Location: 10247 NE STATE ROUTE 18, Grades: KG-6)
Notable location: Butler Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Shopping Center: Westgate Shopping Center (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Butler include: First Assembly of God Church (A), Church of the Nazarene (B), Saint Patricks Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Oak Hill Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Museum of Pioneer History (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 100 East Fort Scott Street).
Hotel: Butler Days Inn (100 S Fran Avenue).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 64.9. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2006 was 0.256. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 1.75. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 22.1 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.527. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 22.1 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 31.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.67. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
(29.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 40.9% for Black residents, 96.1% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 68.6% for American Indian residents, 100.0% for other race residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
People in group quarters in Butler in 2010:
- 126 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 84 people in federal detention centers
- 5 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers
14 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Banks with branches in Butler (2011 data):
- Community First Bank: Cfb West Branch at 1109 W. Ft. Scott Street, branch established on 1902/10/15; at 915 West Fort Scott Street, branch established on 1932/01/01. Info updated 2010/08/12: Bank assets: $158.6 mil, Deposits: $135.2 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Community First Bancshares, Inc.
- Citizens Bank: Of Amsterdam Butler Br at 19 South Orange Street, branch established on 2009/04/10. Info updated 2010/08/11: Bank assets: $48.5 mil, Deposits: $43.5 mil, headquarters in Amsterdam, MO, positive income, Consumer Lending Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Amsterdam Bancshares, Inc.
- Bank of America, National Association: Butler Fort Scott Branch at 609 West Ft. Scott, branch established on 1975/11/10. Info updated 2009/11/18: Bank assets: $1,451,969.3 mil, Deposits: $1,077,176.8 mil, headquarters in Charlotte, NC, positive income, 5782 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Of America Corporation
- Adrian Bank: Butler Branch at 1101 W Ft Scott, branch established on 1997/05/07. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $118.1 mil, Deposits: $105.4 mil, headquarters in Adrian, MO, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Adrian Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Butler city (based on Bates County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Bates County:||2.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bates County:||1.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||0.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bates County:||5.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Butler, MO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||9||$1,500|
|Judicial and Legal||2||$4,087||$24,522||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$27,726||$33,271||0||$0|
|Police - Other||8||$19,122||$28,683||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||5||$11,105||$26,652||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||4||$9,204||$27,612||1||$137|
|Totals for Government||53||$149,902||$33,940||31||$2,393|
Butler government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Electric Utilities: $1,221,000 ($295.86)
Water Utilities: $237,000 ($57.43)
Sewerage: $74,000 ($17.93)
Solid Waste Management: $60,000 ($14.54)
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $3,581,000 ($867.70)
Police Protection: $928,000 ($224.86)
Water Utilities: $695,000 ($168.40)
General - Other: $606,000 ($146.84)
Regular Highways: $588,000 ($142.48)
Parks & Recreation: $536,000 ($129.88)
Financial Administration: $415,000 ($100.56)
Sewerage: $219,000 ($53.07)
Fire Protection: $206,000 ($49.92)
Solid Waste Management: $174,000 ($42.16)
- General - Interest on Debt: $485,000 ($117.52)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,567,000 ($379.69)
Butler government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $245,000 ($59.37)
Solid Waste Management: $194,000 ($47.01)
All Other: $166,000 ($40.22)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $377,000 ($91.35)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $283,000 ($68.57)
Interest Earnings: $158,000 ($38.28)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $4,001,000 ($969.47)
Water Utilities: $777,000 ($188.27)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $5,000 ($1.21)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $861,000 ($208.63)
Property: $330,000 ($79.96)
Public Utilities: $192,000 ($46.52)
NEC: $31,000 ($7.51)
Butler government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $8,090,000 ($1960.26)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $8,090,000 ($1960.26)
Butler government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $9,856,000 ($2388.18)
5.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,040 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cass County, MO||1.31% ($30,092 average AGI)|
|from Jackson County, MO||0.69% ($25,800)|
|from Vernon County, MO||0.45% ($20,962)|
6.38% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($25,115 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Butler:
- KMAM (1530 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BUTLER, MO; Owner: BATES COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KKOW (860 AM; 10 kW; PITTSBURG, KS; Owner: AMERICAN MEDIA INVESTMENTS)
- KCSP (610 AM; 5 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: ENTERCOM KANSAS CITY LICENSE, LLC)
- KCCV (760 AM; daytime; 6 kW; OVERLAND PARK, KS; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
- KCTE (1510 AM; daytime; 10 kW; INDEPENDENCE, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KXTR (1660 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS; Owner: ENTERCOM KANSAS CITY LICENSE, LLC)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KMBZ (980 AM; 5 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: ENTERCOM KANSAS CITY LICENSE, LLC)
- KFAQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KGGF (690 AM; 10 kW; COFFEYVILLE, KS; Owner: KGGF-KUSN, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Butler:
- KMOE (92.1 FM; BUTLER, MO; Owner: BATES COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KCFX (101.1 FM; HARRISONVILLE, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
- KDKD-FM (95.3 FM; CLINTON, MO; Owner: CLINTON RADIO COMPANY, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
Butler fatal accident list:
Jul 14, 1998 87:99 PM, Us-71business, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jul 2, 1988 09:30 AM, 71 Bus, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Dec 13, 1987 06:20 AM, 71 Bus, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Jun 1, 1986 08:05 PM, W Mill, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 2
Jan 20, 1979 09:15 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Oct 7, 1978 08:35 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 9Number of bridges
- 24m79ftTotal length
- 26,713Total average daily traffic
- 5,175Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 109 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 19 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Butler, MO)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 40 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Butler)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 1 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Butler)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 21 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Butler and their reported violations in the past:BATES CO PWSD 1 (Population served: 250, Purch surface water):
Past monitoring violations:
- Lead Consumer Notice - In APR-01-2011, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (JUN-13-2011)
- One minor monitoring violation
Drinking water stations with addresses in Butler that have no violations reported:
- BUTLER (Population served: 4,100, Primary Water Source Type: Surface water)
- BATES CO PWSD 6 (Population served: 2,440, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- BATES CO PWSD 3 (Population served: 418, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 62
- Hazardous Condition: 76
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Butler
|Most common first names in Butler, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Butler, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (71%)
- Electricity (25%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
|Businesses in Butler, MO|
|H&R Block||1||True Value||1|
Butler compared to Missouri state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2017.