|Median resident age:||45.5 years|
|Texas median age:||32.3 years|
Zip code: 75840
Butler CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $102,047 (it was $68,100 in 2000)
- White alone - 760 (54.1%)
- Black alone - 572 (40.7%)
- Hispanic - 54 (3.8%)
- Two or more races - 14 (1.0%)
- American Indian alone - 3 (0.2%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.07%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 197.6 square miles.
Population density: 7.5 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Butler:
- High school or higher: 71.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Butler CCD:
- Never married: 14.8%
- Now married: 71.0%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 7.3%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Butler CCD:||0.8% ($518)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Tyler, TX (60.8 miles , pop. 83,650).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Dallas, TX (93.0 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Oakwood, TX (2.8 miles ), Fairfield, TX (3.6 miles ), Buffalo, TX (3.8 miles ), Montalba-Tennessee Colony, TX (4.4 miles ), Teague, TX (4.4 miles ), Palestine, TX (4.5 miles ), Elkhart, TX (4.7 miles ), Cayuga, TX (4.8 miles ).
Latitude: 31.65 N, Longitude: 95.96 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 903
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (14%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Metal and metal products (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Health care (31%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (5%)
- Construction (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (15%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (10%)
- Registered nurses (9%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
Average climate in Butler, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Butler-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 49% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/15/1987, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 15.5 miles away from the Butler place center killed one person and injured 59 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/9/1981, a category F3 tornado 20.8 miles away from the place center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Butler-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 296.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 209.8 miles away from Butler center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 449.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 235.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1995 at 15:51:39, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 235.8 miles away from Butler center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 325.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Freestone County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Floods: 3, Hurricanes: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Butler:
- FAIRVIEW HEALTHCARE RESIDENCE LTD (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; FAIRFIELD, TX)
- SMC HOME HEALTH INC (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; FAIRFIELD, TX)
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER - FAIRFIELD Acute Care Hospitals (about 14 miles away; FAIRFIELD, TX)
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER HOME HEALTH SOUTH (Hospital, about 14 miles away; FAIRFIELD, TX)
- FAIRFIELD NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; FAIRFIELD, TX)
- COPPER CREEK PLAZA (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; BUFFALO, TX)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Butler:
- Trinity Valley Community College (about 38 miles; Athens, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,333)
- Navarro College (about 44 miles; Corsicana, TX; FT enrollment: 7,711)
- Tyler Junior College (about 62 miles; Tyler, TX; FT enrollment: 8,104)
- The University of Texas at Tyler (about 62 miles; Tyler, TX; FT enrollment: 5,774)
- Texas State Technical College-Waco (about 67 miles; Waco, TX; FT enrollment: 4,210)
- Sam Houston State University (about 69 miles; Huntsville, TX; FT enrollment: 16,233)
- Baylor University (about 69 miles; Waco, TX; FT enrollment: 14,800)
Notable locations in Butler: Sand Hill (A), Butler Volunteer Fire Department (B), Daniel Memorial Childrens Home (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Butler include: Owens Chapel (A), Pilgrim Rest Church (B), Pine Hill Church (C), Pine Top Church (D), Sand Hill Church (E), Antioch Church (F), Shiloh Church (G), Rocky Mount Church (H), Mount Pleasant Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Maze Cemetery (1), Brooke Cemetery (2), Mount Zion Cemetery (3), Sand Hill Cemetery (4), Willis Cemetery (5), Plum Creek Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Snyder Lake (A), Patterson Lake (B), Lake Port (C), Little Lake (D), Smith Lake (E), Morse Lake (F), Snider Lake (G), Plum Creek Ranch Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Brinkley Creek (A), Brook Spring Branch (B), Batsmith Creek (C), Cold Springs Branch (D), Alum Branch (E), Cedar Lake Slough (F), Waldrom Branch (G), Willow Creek (H), Tan Yard Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Butler compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (52%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (39%)
- Utility gas (4%)
- Wood (4%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Butler CCD (based on Freestone County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 56.54%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Baptist Missionary Association of America||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Freestone County:||1.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Freestone County:||0.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Freestone County:||10.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
7.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($40,959 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Limestone County, TX||1.16% ($34,265 average AGI)|
|from Leon County, TX||0.51% ($31,633)|
|from Navarro County, TX||0.51% ($30,567)|
8.71% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($44,344 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Butler:
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KSKY (660 AM; 20 kW; BALCH SPRINGS, TX; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC.)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KBBW (1010 AM; 10 kW; WACO-MARLIN, TX; Owner: AMERICAN BROADCASTING OF TEXAS)
- KWKH (1130 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KTBB (600 AM; 5 kW; TYLER, TX; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Butler:
- KNES (99.1 FM; FAIRFIELD, TX; Owner: J & J COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KOOI (106.5 FM; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: WALLER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KBJS (90.3 FM; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: EAST TEXAS MEDIA ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- KTYL-FM (93.1 FM; TYLER, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KBHT (93.5 FM; CROCKETT, TX; Owner: NICOL BROADCASTING LTD.)
- KDOS (107.9 FM; ROBINSON, TX; Owner: KICI-FM LICENSE CORP.)
- KYYK (98.3 FM; PALESTINE, TX; Owner: HIGHTOWER RADIO, INC.)
- KYFP (89.1 FM; PALESTINE, TX; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- K202CE (88.3 FM; PALESTINE, TX; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Butler:
- KETK-TV (Channel 56; JACKSONVILLE, TX; Owner: KETK LICENSEE L.P.)
- K24DS (Channel 24; PALESTINE, TX; Owner: ETERNAL TRUTH NETWORK, INC.)
- KLSB-TV (Channel 19; NACOGDOCHES, TX; Owner: KLSB ACQUISITION CORP.)
- K17BP (Channel 17; PALESTINE, TX; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- STATION, Approx 6 Mi Off Us Hwy 84 Near (Lat: 31.725167 Lon: -95.913833), Overall height: 48.8 m, Call Sign: KLH92
Assigned Frequencies: 6645.00 MHz, 6605.00 MHz
Grant Date: 07/07/2000, Expiration Date: 07/26/2010, Cancellation Date: 09/25/2010
Registrant: Louis Dreyfus Pipeline L.P., 111b West Third Avenue, Corsicana, TX 75110, Phone: (903) 874-8740, Fax: (903) 872-4112, Email:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2