Caneadea, New York
Caneadea: This is a shot taken at our new "piece of peace" on Bennett Hill Road. We are from Cleveland, Ohio and have very busy lives....until we come here to relax with our dogs!
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||22.1 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 14744.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $14,080 (it was $10,010 in 2000)
Caneadea town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $79,716 (it was $61,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $93,605; Detached houses: $94,493; Townhouses or other attached units: $120,457; In 2-unit structures: $91,411; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $367,914; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $413,072; Mobile homes: $59,476; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $70,592
Races in Caneadea, NY (2010)
- 2,34292.1%White alone
- 793.1%Asian alone
- 361.4%Black alone
- 261.0%Two or more races
- 30.1%American Indian alone
- 30.1%Other race alone
|Liberal towns NYS (21 replies)|
|Southern tier: information for a young conservative couple? (55 replies)|
|Factory Farms -- Caneadea/Angelica ???? (4 replies)|
|Caneadea, Angelica, Cuba -- this area Southern tier (4 replies)|
|per capita income for southern tier towns? (1 reply)|
|Raise your hand if you like Cuba (10 replies)|
Latest news from Caneadea, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (27.2%), English (17.3%), Irish (11.9%), United States (8.6%), Italian (5.6%), Dutch (4.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 35.5 square miles.
Population density: 72 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Caneadea:
- High school or higher: 86.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 36.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 19.8%
- Unemployed: 5.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Caneadea town:
- Never married: 52.8%
- Now married: 40.1%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 3.5%
- Divorced: 2.4%
122 residents are foreign born (2.0% Asia, 1.1% North America, 0.7% Latin America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Caneadea town:||2.8% ($1,705)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Cheektowaga, NY (46.7 miles , pop. 79,988).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Buffalo, NY (49.5 miles , pop. 292,648).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (228.5 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Houghton, NY (1.3 miles ), Rushford, NY (2.0 miles ), Fillmore, NY (2.3 miles ), Hume, NY (2.5 miles ), Belfast, NY (2.5 miles ), Centerville, NY (2.6 miles ), Allen, NY (2.7 miles ), New Hudson, NY (2.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $66,000
- 1998: 8 buildings, average cost: $83,900
- 1999: 5 buildings, average cost: $58,800
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $31,400
- 2001: 7 buildings, average cost: $47,600
- 2002: 10 buildings, average cost: $60,200
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $47,600
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $55,500
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $37,200
- 2007: 7 buildings, average cost: $50,200
- 2008: 8 buildings, average cost: $52,900
- 2009: 5 buildings, average cost: $38,200
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $53,900
- 2012: 4 buildings, average cost: $29,600
- 2013: 2 buildings, average cost: $268,100
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $41,600
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.40 N, Longitude: 78.16 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 585
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
- Educational services (44%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Construction (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Educational services (58%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Health care (8%)
- Social assistance (2%)
- Book stores and news dealers (2%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (2%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (2%)
- Postsecondary teachers (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
- Media and communication equipment workers (3%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (11%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Postsecondary teachers (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
Average climate in Caneadea, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Caneadea-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 63% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/20/1969, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 7.9 miles away from the Caneadea town center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 7/24/1967, a category F3 tornado 16.6 miles away from the town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Caneadea-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 131.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 220.5 miles away from Caneadea center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 163.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 265.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 139.1 miles away from Caneadea center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 180.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Allegany County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Floods: 7, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: William Muldoon - Professional wrestler.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Caneadea:
- SUNY College of Technology at Alfred (about 22 miles; Alfred, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,483)
- Alfred University (about 22 miles; Alfred, NY; FT enrollment: 2,411)
- St Bonaventure University (about 28 miles; Saint Bonaventure, NY; FT enrollment: 2,286)
- SUNY College at Geneseo (about 33 miles; Geneseo, NY; FT enrollment: 5,520)
- Bryant & Stratton College-Online (about 42 miles; Orchard Park, NY; FT enrollment: 2,212)
- Genesee Community College (about 43 miles; Batavia, NY; FT enrollment: 4,290)
- Erie Community College (about 50 miles; Buffalo, NY; FT enrollment: 11,035)
Notable locations in Caneadea: Fiegl Maintenance Building (A), Shenawana Dormitory (B), Nielsen Physical Education Center (C), Stevens Art Studio (D), Gillette Hall (E), Houghton College Center For The Arts (F), Luckey Building (G), Rothenbuhler Hall (H), Chamberlain Center (I), William J Houghton Memorial Library (J), Paine Science Center (K), Lambein Hall (L), Fancher Hall (M), The Waters of Houghton (N), Oramel Fire Department (O). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Caneadea include: Houghton Wesleyan Church (A), Wesley Chapel (B), East Caneadea Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Mount Pleasant Cemetery (1), East Caneadea Cemetery (2), Caneadea Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Moss Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Creeks: Crawford Creek (A), Caneadea Creek (B), Shongo Creek (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.6 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
People in group quarters in Caneadea in 2010:
- 912 people in college/university student housing
- 91 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 44 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers
98 people in nursing homes in 2000
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Caneadea town (based on Allegany County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Allegany County:||3.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Allegany County:||0.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Allegany County:||5.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.77% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,330 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cattaraugus County, NY||0.62% ($22,941 average AGI)|
|from Steuben County, NY||0.51% ($28,181)|
|from Erie County, NY||0.44% ($30,113)|
5.58% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,101 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Caneadea:
- WWKB (1520 AM; 50 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WHHO (1320 AM; 5 kW; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
- WGR (550 AM; 5 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WCJW (1140 AM; daytime; 3 kW; WARSAW, NY; Owner: LLOYD LANE, INCORPORATED)
- WABH (1380 AM; 10 kW; BATH, NY)
- WGGO (1590 AM; 5 kW; SALAMANCA, NY; Owner: CATT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNED (970 AM; 5 kW; BUFFALO, NY)
- WTOR (770 AM; daytime; 9 kW; YOUNGSTOWN, NY; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXRL (1300 AM; 5 kW; LANCASTER, NY; Owner: DOME BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLEA (1480 AM; 3 kW; HORNELL, NY; Owner: PMJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHLD (1270 AM; 5 kW; NIAGARA FALLS, NY; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Caneadea:
- WJSL (90.3 FM; HOUGHTON, NY; Owner: WXXI PUBLIC BROADCASTING COUNCIL)
- WNSA (107.7 FM; WETHERSFIELD TWNSHP, NY; Owner: ADELPHIA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION, DEBTOR-IN-POSSESSION)
- WTSS (102.5 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WZKZ (101.9 FM; ALFRED, NY; Owner: PEMBROOK PINES ELMIRA, LTD.)
- WCID (89.1 FM; FRIENDSHIP, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WDNY-FM (93.9 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: MILLER MEDIA INC.)
- WJQZ (103.5 FM; WELLSVILLE, NY; Owner: DBM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPIG (95.7 FM; OLEAN, NY; Owner: ARROW COMMUNICATIONS OF N.Y., INC.)
- W201CY (88.1 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: MARS HILL BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WOLN (91.3 FM; OLEAN, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- W246AP (97.1 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF THE FINGER LAKES)
- W282AC (104.3 FM; DANSVILLE, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WKPQ (105.3 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: BILBAT RADIO, INC.)
- WCIY (88.9 FM; CANANDAIGUA, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WFXF (107.3 FM; SOUTH BRISTOL TOWNSH, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WNVE (95.1 FM; HONEOYE FALLS, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WQRT (98.3 FM; SALAMANCA, NY; Owner: CATT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNED-FM (94.5 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/C ASSOC.)
- WCKR (92.1 FM; HORNELL, NY; Owner: PMJ COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBUF (92.9 FM; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Caneadea:
- WKBW-TV (Channel 7; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: WKBW-TV LICENSE, INC.)
- W56AV (Channel 56; RUSHFORD & HOUGHTON, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.)
- WNGS (Channel 67; SPRINGVILLE, NY; Owner: CAROLINE K. POWLEY D/B/A UNICORN/SPRINGVILLE)
- WGRZ-TV (Channel 2; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: MULTIMEDIA ENTERTAINMENT, INC.)
- WIVB-TV (Channel 4; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: WIVB BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WNYO-TV (Channel 49; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: NEW YORK TELEVISION, INC.)
- WPXJ-TV (Channel 51; BATAVIA, NY; Owner: PAXSON BUFFALO LICENSE, INC.)
- W65AJ (Channel 65; ANGELICA, ETC., NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 11Number of bridges
- 32m105ftTotal length
- $11,925,000Total costs
- 14,411Total average daily traffic
- 2,140Total average daily truck traffic
- 19,110Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Caneadea)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Fire Station (Lat: 42.387000 Lon: -78.153333), Call Sign: WXT619, Licensee ID: L00005269
Assigned Frequencies: 46.3600 MHzGrant Date: 08/03/2013, Expiration Date: 09/26/2023Registrant: County Of Allegany, 4884 State Route 19, Belmont, NY 14813, Phone: (585) 268-5290, Fax: (585) 268-9695, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- HOUGHTON, 6517 Dutch Hill Road (Lat: 42.422417 Lon: -78.108639), Type: Tower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 96.3 m, Call Sign: WQOL980
Assigned Frequencies: 6345.49 MHzGrant Date: 11/14/2011, Expiration Date: 11/14/2021, Cancellation Date: 02/27/2014, Certifier: Pamelia Y HoofRegistrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy, #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
- BHEXT1, Lat: 42.390833 Lon: -78.153056, Type: Pole, Structure height: 21.2 m, Overall height: 23.6 m, Call Sign: WQSG754
Assigned Frequencies: 3650.00 MHzGrant Date: 09/18/2013, Expiration Date: 09/18/2023, Certifier: Scott MahoneyRegistrant: Lerman Senter Pllc, 2001 L Street, Nw, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (202) 416-6749, Fax: (202) 293-7783, Email:
- CANEADEA, 6513 Dutch Hill Road (Lat: 42.422833 Lon: -78.107500), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 60.7 m, Call Sign: WQUL354
Assigned Frequencies: 10815.0 MHzGrant Date: 08/07/2014, Expiration Date: 08/07/2024, Certifier: John E MondayRegistrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 3300 E Renner Road, B3132, Richardson, TX 75082, Phone: (855) 699-7073, Fax: (972) 907-1131, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KB2VLI, Licensee ID: L01013762, Grant Date: 05/09/2015, Expiration Date: 08/02/2025, Certifier: Erving C Clear, Registrant: Erving C Clear, 8524 Sunset Cir 140, Caneadea, NY 14717
- Call Sign: WA2ZOD, Previous Call Sign: K3WGA, Licensee ID: L00528070, Grant Date: 07/06/2002, Expiration Date: 07/06/2012, Cancellation Date: 02/14/2006, Certifier: Kenneth D Britton, Registrant: Kenneth D Britton, 6551 East Hill Road, Caneadea, NY 14717
|Most common first names in Caneadea, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Caneadea, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (51%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (20%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (9%)
- Wood (9%)
- Electricity (9%)
- Other fuel (2%)
Caneadea compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Caneadea on our top lists:
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in college dormitories (includes college quarters off campus) (population 1,000+)"
- #78 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the least people driving a car to work alone (population 500+)"
- #67 (14744) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest charity contributions deductions as a percentage of AGI in 2012 (pop 1,000+)"