We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||55.1 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip code: 04925
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $25,010 (it was $17,321 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $124,604 (it was $75,000 in 2000)
Races in Caratunk, ME (2010)
- 6797.1%White alone
- 11.4%American Indian alone
- 11.4%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
- A few numbers about alcohol consumption Aug 11
- High-paid finance jobs are moving outside of large cities Aug 9
|Maine rivers to Innertube down? (8 replies)|
|Island Mermaid (38 replies)|
|Maine's Own Off-Topic Thread - Pt. 3 (2000 replies)|
|its time for ice fishing. (178 replies)|
|The Bad Neighbor (216 replies)|
|You Know Your a Mainer When ___?___. (107 replies)|
Latest news from Caratunk, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (45.4%), French (29.6%), Irish (24.1%), Scottish (12.0%), German (10.2%), Italian (7.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 10/14/1977
Elevation: 549 feet
Land area: 52.3 square miles.
Population density: 1.3 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Caratunk:
- High school or higher: 79.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 12.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Caratunk town:
- Never married: 34.6%
- Now married: 54.8%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 4.8%
- Divorced: 3.8%
3 residents are foreign born (2.8% Latin America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Caratunk town:||0.9% ($647)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (110.8 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (210.4 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (363.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Moscow, ME (3.2 miles ), Bingham, ME (3.7 miles ), Shirley, ME (4.1 miles) , Carrabassett Valley, ME (4.4 miles ), Monson, ME (4.6 miles ), Embden, ME (4.6 miles ), Wellington, ME (4.7 miles ), Kingfield, ME (4.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $75,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $125,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $45,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $150,000
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $158,300
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $150,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 45.25 N, Longitude: 69.94 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (21%)
- Construction (21%)
- Accommodation and food services (15%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (12%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Truck transportation (9%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (28%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (13%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Construction (6%)
- Paper (6%)
- U. S. Postal service (6%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (15%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (9%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (9%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (9%)
- Top executives (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Life and physical scientists (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (13%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (13%)
- Advertising, marketing, promotions, public relations, and sales managers (9%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (9%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Accountants and auditors (6%)
Average climate in Caratunk, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Caratunk-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 192.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 234.4 miles away from Caratunk center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 146.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 108.2 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 57.1 miles away from Caratunk center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 130.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Somerset County (22) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 12, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Caratunk:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 42 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- Husson University (about 64 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 64 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- University of Maine (about 67 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 102 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 111 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 112 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Lakes and reservoirs: Baker Pond (A), Big Dimmick Pond (B), Chase Bog (C), Decker Ponds (D), Deer Bog (E), Doughnut Pond (F), Heald Ponds (G), Little Dimmick Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Robinson Pond Outler (A), Dimmick Stream (B), Pleasant Pond Stream (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 36.1. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 5.04. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 22.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||1.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 2.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Caratunk town (based on Somerset County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Somerset County:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||2.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||9.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.56% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,526 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Kennebec County, ME||1.67% ($27,240 average AGI)|
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.89% ($23,204)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.22% ($25,475)|
5.99% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,088 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Caratunk:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Caratunk:
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
Caratunk fatal accident list:
Dec 17, 1998 08:00 AM, Us-201, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Dec 31, 1990 10:00 PM, 201, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- 2,524Total average daily traffic
- 219Total average daily truck traffic
- 3,549Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KA4YWB, Licensee ID: L01378728, Grant Date: 03/13/2008, Expiration Date: 03/13/2018, Registrant: Douglas D Brackett, 180 Main Street, Caratunk, ME 04925
- Call Sign: KB1UGD, Licensee ID: L01568846, Grant Date: 05/13/2010, Expiration Date: 05/13/2020, Certifier: Edward A Hanscom, Registrant: Edward A Hanscom, Caratunk, ME 04925
Drinking water stations with addresses in Caratunk and their reported violations in the past:THE STERLING INN (Population served: 34, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-23-2006), St Violation/Reminder Notice (OCT-23-2006), St Compliance achieved (OCT-15-2007), St AO (w/o penalty) issued (NOV-01-2007)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - Between JUL-2006 and SEP-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (AUG-21-2006), St Violation/Reminder Notice (AUG-21-2006), St Compliance achieved (OCT-15-2007), St AO (w/o penalty) issued (NOV-01-2007)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In NOV-2005, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-01-2005), St Violation/Reminder Notice (DEC-01-2005), St Public Notif received (2 times from DEC-07-2005 to DEC-07-2005), St Compliance achieved (APR-23-2007)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2005, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-21-2005), St Violation/Reminder Notice (OCT-21-2005), St Compliance achieved (APR-23-2007)
- 7 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (77%)
- Wood (23%)
Caratunk compared to Maine state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.