|Median resident age:||43.3 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 36761
Carlowville CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $77,103 (it was $59,300 in 2000)
- Black alone - 618 (71.5%)
- White alone - 243 (28.1%)
- Hispanic - 2 (0.2%)
- Two or more races - 1 (0.1%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 351 feet
Land area: 195.6 square miles.
Population density: 4.1 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Carlowville:
- High school or higher: 57.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 4.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Carlowville CCD:
- Never married: 29.8%
- Now married: 54.0%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 7.4%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Carlowville CCD:||0.3% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Montgomery, AL (45.9 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (522.5 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Sardis, AL (2.9 miles ), Craig-Tyler, AL (3.8 miles ), Benton-Collirene, AL (3.9 miles ), Braggs-Prairie Hill, AL (4.0 miles ), Selmont-West Selmont, AL (4.0 miles ), Boykin, AL (4.0 miles ), Benton, AL (4.0 miles) , Oak Hill, AL (4.0 miles) .
Latitude: 32.15 N, Longitude: 87.02 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Paper (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Metal and metal products (10%)
- Health care (10%)
- Construction (9%)
- Alcoholic beverages merchant wholesalers (6%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (6%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Apparel (19%)
- Accommodation and food services (15%)
- Health care (14%)
- Wood products (9%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (16%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (14%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (10%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Plant and system operators (6%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (19%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (12%)
- Health technologists and technicians (11%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (9%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (9%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
Average climate in Carlowville, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Carlowville-area historical tornado activity is below Alabama state average. It is 26% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/1/2007, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 22.8 miles away from the Carlowville place center killed one person and injured 2 people and caused $2 million in damages.
On 4/23/1971, a category F4 tornado 26.5 miles away from the place center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Carlowville-area historical earthquake activity is near Alabama state average. It is 82% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 72.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 87.7 miles away from Carlowville center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 63.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 180.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/24/1975 at 11:11:36, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 118.3 miles away from Carlowville center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 408.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dallas County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Floods: 7, Tornadoes: 7, Hurricanes: 4, Winds: 3, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Carlowville:
- Alabama State University (about 46 miles; Montgomery, AL; Full-time enrollment: 5,457)
- Faulkner University (about 50 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 2,887)
- Auburn University at Montgomery (about 52 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 4,092)
- University of Montevallo (about 67 miles; Montevallo, AL; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Troy University (about 68 miles; Troy, AL; FT enrollment: 16,148)
- Shelton State Community College (about 74 miles; Tuscaloosa, AL; FT enrollment: 4,106)
- University of West Alabama (about 75 miles; Livingston, AL; FT enrollment: 3,394)
Notable locations in Carlowville: Watoolahakahatchee Scout Camp (A), Sprague Landing (B), Providence Landing (C), Nixson Hall (D), Pleasant Hill Station (E), Alabama Sheriffs Boys Ranch (F), Sinai Hall (G), Carlowville Volunteer Fire Department (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Carlowville include: Mount Pleasant Church (A), Mount Sinai Church (B), Pleasant Church (C), Saint Luke Church (D), Salem Church (E), Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church (F), County Line Church (G), County Line Church Number 2 (H), Ebe County Line Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Cox Cemetery (1), Center Ridge Cemetery (2), Carlowville Community Cemetery (3), Mount Lebanon Cemetery (4), Saint Pauls Cemetery (5), Underwood Cemetery (6), Boykin Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: US Steel Lake (A), Dallas County Lake (B), Dallas County Public Lake (C), R Cullpepper Lake (D), Frank Cothran Lake (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Swift Creek (A), Snake Creek (B), Rum Creek (C), Oak Creek (D), Mush Creek (E), Hurricane Creek (F), Hills Creek (G), Cedar Creek (H), Honor Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Carlowville include: Carlowville Historic District (1), Portland Public Use Area (2), Elm Bluff Public Use Area (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Carlowville compared to Alabama state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (50%)
- Electricity (31%)
- Utility gas (11%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
- Wood (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Carlowville CCD (based on Dallas County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 43.61%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Churches of Christ||Episcopal Church|
|Name||Catholic Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||USA National Primitive Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dallas County:||2.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dallas County:||0.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dallas County:||9.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
3.92% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,925 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Montgomery County, AL||0.48% ($21,882 average AGI)|
|from Jefferson County, AL||0.21% ($23,100)|
|from Perry County, AL||0.21% ($22,833)|
5.07% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,292 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Carlowville:
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMSP (740 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WACV (1170 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: MONTGOMERY BROADCAST PROPERTIES, LTD)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WJUS (1310 AM; 5 kW; MARION, AL; Owner: GRACE BAPTIST TEMPLE CHURCH)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WYNI (930 AM; 5 kW; MONROEVILLE, AL; Owner: MCKISSICK ENTERPRISES)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WMRK (1340 AM; 1 kW; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALEXANDER B/C CO. INC.)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Carlowville:
- WAPR (88.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: UA-ASU-TSU EDUCATIONAL RADIO CORP.)
- WBFZ (105.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: IMANI COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION, INC)
- WALX (100.9 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALEXANDER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WJAM-FM (97.3 FM; ORRVILLE, AL; Owner: SCOTT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLWI-FM (92.3 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WQLD (104.3 FM; LUVERNE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZHT (105.7 FM; TROY, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDXX (100.1 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: BROADSOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WYVC (102.3 FM; CAMDEN, AL; Owner: DOWN HOME BROADCASTING)
- WAQU (91.1 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WKXN (95.9 FM; GREENVILLE, AL; Owner: AUTAUGAVILLE RADIO, INC.)
- WKXK (96.7 FM; PINE HILL, AL; Owner: AUTAUGAVILLE RADIO, INC.)
- WVFG (107.5 FM; UNIONTOWN, AL; Owner: CHARLES E. JONES, JR.)
TV broadcast stations around Carlowville:
- WAKA (Channel 8; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALABAMA BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WBIH (Channel 29; SELMA, AL; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W24CK (Channel 24; SELMA, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WNCF (Channel 32; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CHANNEL 32 MONTGOMERY LLC)
- WRJM-TV (Channel 67; TROY, AL; Owner: JOSIE PARK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSFA (Channel 12; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WCOV-TV (Channel 20; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: WOODS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:1
- Approx .8 Mi E Of Cr 408 On St Hwy 41 (Lat: 32.157778 Lon: -87.067222), Type: 77.7, Overall height: 76.2 m
Registrant: 3343752090, , HWY 17 N
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- CARLOWVILLE TANK, Water Tank On S R 89 (Lat: 32.173611 Lon: -87.024167), Type: Pipe, Structure height: 6 m, Call Sign: WQHA889
Assigned Frequencies: 173.362 MHz
Grant Date: 06/14/2007, Expiration Date: 06/14/2017, Certifier: Teddy Pouncey
Registrant: Duke Instrument Service, Saraland, AL 36571-3016, Phone: (251) 675-6067, Fax: (251) 675-5938, Email:
Carlowville on our top lists:
- #2 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Music stores"
- #4 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Alcoholic beverage merchant wholesalers"
- #19 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Paper"
- #22 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores"
- #25 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Life, physical, and social science occupations:"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Registered nurses"