|Median resident age:||44.3 years|
|Illinois median age:||39.6 years|
Zip codes: 62821.
Carmi city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $58,655 (it was $41,100 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $472.
- White alone - 5,061 (96.6%)
- Hispanic - 92 (1.8%)
- Two or more races - 41 (0.8%)
- Black alone - 16 (0.3%)
- Asian alone - 17 (0.3%)
- American Indian alone - 10 (0.2%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 3 (0.06%)
|What is "midwestern mentality"??? (89 replies)|
|The Bible Belt Starts In Effingham Il (32 replies)|
|anything in Carmi, IL? (2 replies)|
|Southern Illinois (115 replies)|
|Looking to move to New Haven, IL (8 replies)|
|Nice family town in southern IL? Not too small? (46 replies)|
Latest news from Carmi, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (23.4%), German (23.4%), English (13.7%), Irish (11.4%), Polish (2.3%), Dutch (1.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 07/22/1873
Elevation: 383 feet
Land area: 2.48 square miles.
Population density: 2,101 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Carmi:
- High school or higher: 82.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Carmi city:
- Never married: 23.5%
- Now married: 50.8%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 11.0%
- Divorced: 12.0%
89 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 16 registered sex offenders living in Carmi, Illinois as of July 02, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Carmi to the number of sex offenders is 325 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $895 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $1,027 (1.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Evansville, IN (34.5 miles , pop. 121,582).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (118.5 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (260.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Crossville, IL (2.7 miles ), Maunie, IL (2.7 miles) , Phillipstown, IL (3.0 miles) , Enfield, IL (3.1 miles ), Norris City, IL (3.4 miles ), Springerton, IL (3.5 miles) , Burnt Prairie, IL (3.5 miles) , New Haven, IL (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 38.09 N, Longitude: 88.17 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +210 (+3.9%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,073 (50.0%)
Area code: 618
|Crime rates in Carmi by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 304.8)||236.4||183.0||298.2||303.3||334.0||371.9||266.4||301.5||208.3||284.5||113.5||280.9|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Carmi detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.72|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -328 (-5.7%).
- Manufacturing (18%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (8%)
- Wholesale trade (8%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (28%)
- Accommodation and food services (16%)
- Other services, except public administration (14%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (10%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (4%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in Carmi, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Carmi-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 59% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/2/1990, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 19.9 miles away from the Carmi city center killed one person and injured 12 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 1/7/1989, a category F4 tornado 34.3 miles away from the city center injured 55 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Carmi-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 29.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 22.3 miles away from Carmi center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 52.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 32.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 98.3 miles away from Carmi center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 35.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in White County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 4, Floods: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Frederick J. Karch - Marine Corps general.
Hospitals and medical centers in Carmi:
Airports located in Carmi:
- Carmi Municipal Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 3,000, Local Ops: 4,000)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Carmi:
- University of Southern Indiana (about 29 miles; Evansville, IN; Full-time enrollment: 9,532)
- Wabash Valley College (about 32 miles; Mount Carmel, IL; FT enrollment: 2,142)
- University of Evansville (about 36 miles; Evansville, IN; FT enrollment: 2,688)
- Rend Lake College (about 41 miles; Ina, IL; FT enrollment: 2,778)
- Vincennes University (about 55 miles; Vincennes, IN; FT enrollment: 9,876)
- John A Logan College (about 56 miles; Carterville, IL; FT enrollment: 3,995)
- Madisonville Community College (about 62 miles; Madisonville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,082)
Public high schools in Carmi:
Public elementary/middle schools in Carmi:
Notable locations in Carmi: Carmi City Hall (A), White County Courthouse (B), Carmi Fire Department (C), Carmi Public Library (D), White County Ambulance Service (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Carmi include: Church of God (A), Church of the Nazarene (B), Emmanuel United Methodist Church (C), First Baptist Church (D), First Christian Church (E), First Pentecostal Church (F), First Presbyterian Church (G), First United Methodist Church (H), Full Gospel Deliverance Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Young Cemetery (1), The Old Graveyard (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Griffith Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Carmi include: Bradshaw Park (1), Eckerle Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Carmi Motel (1008 West Main Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 75.2. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 37.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.59. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.9 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Carmi and their reported violations in the past:BROWNSVILLE (Population served: 780, Purch groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Lead Consumer Notice - In JAN-02-2011, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (JAN-14-2011), St Compliance achieved (JAN-20-2011)
(19.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 57.1% for other race residents, 40.3% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
72 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities in 2010
People in group quarters in Carmi in 2000:
- 136 people in nursing homes
- 60 people in hospitals/wards and hospices for chronically ill
- 60 people in other hospitals or wards for chronically ill
- 58 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
Carmi compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Carmi (2011 data):
- The First National Bank of Carmi: West Carmi Branch at 1200 West Main Street, branch established on 1990/04/14; The First National Bank Of Carmi at 201 East Main Street, branch established on 1893/12/20. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $355.8 mil, Deposits: $320.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 9 total offices, Holding Company: Southern Illinois Bancorp, Inc.
- Old National Bank: Drive-In Facility at 215 East Main Street, branch established on 1974/05/01; 116 West Main Street Branch at 116 West Main Street, branch established on 1900/05/04. Info updated 2011/08/01: Bank assets: $8,467.9 mil, Deposits: $6,653.1 mil, headquarters in Evansville, IN, positive income, 195 total offices, Holding Company: Old National Bancorp
- Banterra Bank: Carmi Branch at 1310 West Main Street, branch established on 1914/01/01. Info updated 2011/09/01: Bank assets: $1,103.3 mil, Deposits: $959.2 mil, headquarters in Marion, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 31 total offices, Holding Company: Banterra Corp
- Peoples National Bank , N.A.: Carmi Branch at 180 Commerce Street, branch established on 2010/12/01. Info updated 2006/12/14: Bank assets: $883.7 mil, Deposits: $803.4 mil, headquarters in Mount Vernon, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 19 total offices, Holding Company: Market Street Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (86%)
- Electricity (13%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Carmi city (based on White County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 59.42%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Charismatic Churches Independent|
|Name||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Assemblies of God||Cumberland Presbyterian Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|White County:||3.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|White County:||8.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$7,226||$28,904||9||$7,306|
|Police Protection - Officers||9||$36,892||$49,189||0||$0|
|Police - Other||1||$3,009||$36,108||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||5||$17,504||$42,010||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||3||$13,361||$53,444||3||$3,848|
|Other and Unallocable||2||$7,127||$42,762||5||$1,977|
|Totals for Government||56||$201,142||$43,102||39||$26,311|
Carmi government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $3,967,000 ($761.71)
Regular Highways: $764,000 ($146.70)
Police Protection: $684,000 ($131.34)
Water Utilities: $630,000 ($120.97)
Central Staff Services: $610,000 ($117.13)
Sewerage: $449,000 ($86.21)
Parks & Recreation: $321,000 ($61.64)
Health Services - Other: $85,000 ($16.32)
Libraries: $71,000 ($13.63)
Air Transportation: $61,000 ($11.71)
Solid Waste Management: $29,000 ($5.57)
Fire Protection: $28,000 ($5.38)
General - Other: $5,000 ($0.96)
- Employee Retirement - Total Cash & Deposits: $2,391,000 ($459.10)
Benefit Payments: $92,000 ($17.67)
- General - Interest on Debt: $11,000 ($2.11)
- Other Capital Outlay - Solid Waste Management: $749,000 ($143.82)
Parks & Recreation: $90,000 ($17.28)
Regular Highways: $71,000 ($13.63)
Police Protection: $30,000 ($5.76)
Central Staff: $12,000 ($2.30)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,834,000 ($352.15)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $41,000 ($7.87)
Carmi government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $546,000 ($104.84)
All Other: $15,000 ($2.88)
Parks & Recreation: $9,000 ($1.73)
- Employee Retirement - Interest Revenue: $124,000 ($23.81)
From Local Government: $55,000 ($10.56)
Local Employee Contribution: $27,000 ($5.18)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $240,000 ($46.08)
General Revenue, NEC: $198,000 ($38.02)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $4,274,000 ($820.66)
Water Utilities: $922,000 ($177.04)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $1,290,000 ($247.70)
Highways: $158,000 ($30.34)
All Other: $13,000 ($2.50)
Public Welfare: $8,000 ($1.54)
- Tax - Public Utilities: $573,000 ($110.02)
Property: $146,000 ($28.03)
NEC: $27,000 ($5.18)
Carmi government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $690,000 ($132.49)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $179,000 ($34.37)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $133,000 ($25.54)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $565,000 ($108.49)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $125,000 ($24.00)
Other, NEC: $46,000 ($8.83)
Carmi government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $5,064,000 ($972.35)
4.36% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,561 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Wayne County, IL||0.41% ($36,783 average AGI)|
|from Saline County, IL||0.37% ($36,095)|
|from Edwards County, IL||0.30% ($23,941)|
4.52% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,345 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Carmi:
- WROY (1460 AM; 1 kW; CARMI, IL; Owner: CARMI BROADCASTING, CO.)
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMCL (1060 AM; 3 kW; MCLEANSBORO, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WVHI (1330 AM; 5 kW; EVANSVILLE, IN)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WGBF (1280 AM; 5 kW; EVANSVILLE, IN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WMIX (940 AM; 5 kW; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: WITHERS BROADCASTING CO OF ILLINOIS)
- WGGH (1150 AM; 5 kW; MARION, IL)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Carmi:
- WRUL (97.3 FM; CARMI, IL; Owner: CARMI BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBJW (91.7 FM; ALBION, IL; Owner: MUSIC MINISTRIES INC)
- WKDQ (99.5 FM; HENDERSON, KY; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF EVANSVILLE/OWENSBORO, INC.)
- WYFX (106.7 FM; MOUNT VERNON, IN; Owner: THE ORIGINAL COMPANY, INC)
- WFIW-FM (104.9 FM; FAIRFIELD, IL; Owner: WAYNE COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WIKY-FM (104.1 FM; EVANSVILLE, IN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL B/C CORPORATION)
- WABX (107.5 FM; EVANSVILLE, IN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WOKZ (105.9 FM; FAIRFIELD, IL; Owner: WAYNE COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WJLT (105.3 FM; EVANSVILLE, IN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQRL (106.3 FM; BENTON, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WEBQ-FM (102.3 FM; ELDORADO, IL; Owner: VISHER-CHOATE II)
TV broadcast stations around Carmi:
- WEHT (Channel 25; EVANSVILLE, IN; Owner: GILMORE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEVV (Channel 44; EVANSVILLE, IN; Owner: COMCORP OF INDIANA LICENSE CORP.)
- WFIE (Channel 14; EVANSVILLE, IN; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- W66CT (Channel 66; MOUNT VERNON, IN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- W23BV (Channel 23; EVANSVILLE, IN; Owner: BETHEL SANITARIUM)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 12
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 18
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 1
- Fatalities: 12
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 34
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 2
- Fatal accident count: 118
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 179
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 40
- Fatalities: 127
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 313
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 20
Total length: 16 meters (52ft)
Total costs: $4,687,000
Total average daily traffic: 25,650
Total average daily truck traffic: 2,212
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 25,701
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 29 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Carmi, IL)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 23 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 28 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Carmi)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 15 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Carmi)
|Most common first names in Carmi, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Carmi, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Carmi, IL|
|Jones New York||1||Walmart||1|
Carmi on our top lists:
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (population 5,000+)"
- #9 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Warehousing and storage (population 5,000+)"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other hospitals or wards for chronically ill"
- #14 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Sales and related occupations: (population 5,000+)"
- #17 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in hospitals/wards and hospices for chronically ill"
- #18 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Metal and mineral, except petroleum, merchant wholesalers (population 5,000+)"
- #25 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Personal and laundry services (population 5,000+)"
- #25 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Health care (population 5,000+)"
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most White Non-Hispanic residents (pop 5,000+)"
- #7 (62821) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of residents speaking English at home (pop 5,000+)"
- #83 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.