|Median resident age:||43.5 years|
|Illinois median age:||39.6 years|
Zip codes: 62917.
Carrier Mills village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $46,495 (it was $37,900 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $380.
- White alone - 1,385 (83.8%)
- Black alone - 212 (12.8%)
- Two or more races - 35 (2.1%)
- Hispanic - 19 (1.1%)
- Asian alone - 2 (0.1%)
Latest news from Carrier Mills, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (22.0%), Irish (18.7%), United States (12.8%), English (8.2%), Dutch (4.4%), Polish (2.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 11/20/1894
Elevation: 391 feet
Land area: 1.24 square miles.
Population density: 1,332 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Carrier Mills:
- High school or higher: 82.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 6.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Carrier Mills village:
- Never married: 18.9%
- Now married: 51.7%
- Separated: 4.5%
- Widowed: 12.5%
- Divorced: 12.4%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 9 registered sex offenders living in Carrier Mills, Illinois as of March 05, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Carrier Mills to the number of sex offenders is 184 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $988 (1.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $641 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Evansville, IN (62.2 miles , pop. 121,582).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (109.3 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (291.7 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Harrisburg, IL (2.4 miles ), Stonefort, IL (2.5 miles ), Muddy, IL (2.9 miles) , Crab Orchard, IL (3.2 miles ), Galatia, IL (3.3 miles ), New Burnside, IL (3.3 miles ), Raleigh, IL (3.3 miles ), Creal Springs, IL (3.5 miles ).
Latitude: 37.69 N, Longitude: 88.63 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 618
|Crime rates in Carrier Mills by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 304.8)||422.2||136.9||273.2||278.1||179.3||351.5||407.1||407.1||512.3||498.9||N/A||N/A|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Carrier Mills detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.21|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Public administration (17%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (16%)
- Construction (15%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (12%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Wholesale trade (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (24%)
- Retail trade (21%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Finance and insurance (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Construction laborers (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (13%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (10%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (7%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Carrier Mills, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Carrier Mills-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 70% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/29/1982, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 11.2 miles away from the Carrier Mills village center killed 10 people and injured 181 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 5/6/2003, a category F4 tornado 22.8 miles away from the village center killed 2 people and injured 33 people and caused $16 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Carrier Mills-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 74% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 66.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 50.8 miles away from Carrier Mills center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 61.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 88.2 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 101.8 miles away from Carrier Mills center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 69.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Saline County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Carrier Mills:
Other hospitals and medical centers near Carrier Mills:
- HARRISBURG MANOR (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; HARRISBURG, IL)
- SHAWNEE ROSE CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; HARRISBURG, IL)
- SALINE CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; HARRISBURG, IL)
- LITTLE EGYPT MANOR (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; HARRISBURG, IL)
- SHAWNEE HOUSE (Hospital, about 7 miles away; HARRISBURG, IL)
- FMC - SALINE COUNTY (Dialysis Facility, about 7 miles away; HARRISBURG, IL)
- FERRELL HOSPITAL COMMUNITY FOUNDATIONS Critical Access Hospitals (about 14 miles away; ELDORADO, IL)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Carrier Mills:
- John A Logan College (about 26 miles; Carterville, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,995)
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (about 33 miles; Carbondale, IL; FT enrollment: 14,539)
- Rend Lake College (about 35 miles; Ina, IL; FT enrollment: 2,778)
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 44 miles; Paducah, KY; FT enrollment: 4,107)
- University of Southern Indiana (about 56 miles; Evansville, IN; FT enrollment: 9,532)
- Southeast Missouri State University (about 56 miles; Cape Girardeau, MO; FT enrollment: 9,678)
- University of Evansville (about 64 miles; Evansville, IN; FT enrollment: 2,688)
Public high school in Carrier Mills:
- Carrier Mills-Stonefort High School (Location: PO Box 217; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Carrier Mills:
- Carrier Mills-Stonefort Elementary School (Location: PO Box 218; Grades: PK-8)
Notable location: Carrier Mills Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2004 was 89.7. This is worse than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2004 was 33.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.0 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Carrier Mills and their reported violations in the past:CARRIER MILLS (Population served: 2,095, Purch groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between APR-2013 and JUN-2013, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-17-2013), St Compliance achieved (JUN-24-2013)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2013 and MAR-2013, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (APR-17-2013), St Compliance achieved (JUN-24-2013)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between OCT-2012 and DEC-2012, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-14-2012), St Violation/Reminder Notice (DEC-14-2012), St Compliance achieved (DEC-28-2012), St Public Notif received (JUN-20-2013)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
(13.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 40.8% for Black residents, 42.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 20.0% for other race residents, 44.4% for two or more races residents)
|This village:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
6 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
Carrier Mills compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Carrier Mills (2011 data):
- The Bank of Marion: Carrier Mills Facility at 2 South Main Street, branch established on 1951/12/01. Info updated 2006/11/08: Bank assets: $330.2 mil, Deposits: $261.5 mil, headquarters in Marion, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 9 total offices, Holding Company: Midwest Community Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (60%)
- Electricity (36%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Wood (0%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Carrier Mills village (based on Saline County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 58.89%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ|
|Name||Cumberland Presbyterian Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Church of God (Anderson, Indiana)||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Saline County:||2.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Saline County:||0.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Saline County:||5.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||9||$2,863|
|Police Protection - Officers||2||$5,403||$32,418||2||$2,081|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,037||$24,444||1||$638|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$1,116|
|Totals for Government||3||$7,440||$29,760||41||$9,123|
Carrier Mills government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $273,000 ($165.45)
Financial Administration: $132,000 ($80.00)
Fire Protection: $108,000 ($65.45)
Regular Highways: $97,000 ($58.79)
Police Protection: $88,000 ($53.33)
General - Other: $5,000 ($3.03)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $175,000 ($106.06)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $67,000 ($40.61)
Carrier Mills government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $15,000 ($9.09)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $22,000 ($13.33)
Interest Earnings: $20,000 ($12.12)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $381,000 ($230.91)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $205,000 ($124.24)
All Other: $84,000 ($50.91)
Highways: $53,000 ($32.12)
- Tax - Property: $39,000 ($23.64)
NEC: $24,000 ($14.55)
Carrier Mills government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $1,115,000 ($675.76)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $1,080,000 ($654.55)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $35,000 ($21.21)
Carrier Mills government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $696,000 ($421.82)
4.95% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,440 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Williamson County, IL||0.67% ($32,443 average AGI)|
|from Gallatin County, IL||0.52% ($34,723)|
|from Franklin County, IL||0.25% ($28,565)|
4.83% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,787 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Carrier Mills:
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEBQ (1240 AM; 1 kW; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: VISHER-CHOATE II)
- WGGH (1150 AM; 5 kW; MARION, IL)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WPAD (1560 AM; 10 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WMCL (1060 AM; 3 kW; MCLEANSBORO, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WMIX (940 AM; 5 kW; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: WITHERS BROADCASTING CO OF ILLINOIS)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
Strongest FM radio stations in Carrier Mills:
- WBVN (104.5 FM; CARRIER MILLS, IL; Owner: KENNETH W. AND JANE A. ANDERSON)
- WOOZ-FM (99.9 FM; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: ZIMMER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WDDD-FM (107.3 FM; MARION, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQRL (106.3 FM; BENTON, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WEBQ-FM (102.3 FM; ELDORADO, IL; Owner: VISHER-CHOATE II)
- WVZA (92.7 FM; HERRIN, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQUL (97.7 FM; WEST FRANKFORT, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCIL-FM (101.5 FM; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: LYLE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WISH-FM (98.9 FM; GALATIA, IL; Owner: GALATIA FM JOINT VENTURE)
- WXLT (103.5 FM; CHRISTOPHER, IL; Owner: ZRG OF ILLINOIS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Carrier Mills:
- WSIL-TV (Channel 3; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: WSIL-TV, INC.)
- WDKA (Channel 49; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WDKA ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WPSD-TV (Channel 6; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WPSD-TV, LLC)
- W15BU (Channel 17; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KFVS-TV (Channel 12; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- KBSI (Channel 23; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: KBSI LICENSEE L.P.)
- WTCT (Channel 27; MARION, IL; Owner: TRI-STATE CHRISTIAN TV, INC.)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:19 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Carrier Mills)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Sahara Coal Co 2 1/2 Mi Se Harco Rd & Sr13 (Lat: 37.713667 Lon: -88.682556), Structure height: 37 m, Call Sign: WNYH844, Licensee ID: L00013390
Assigned Frequencies: 160.920 MHz, 161.190 MHz
Grant Date: 11/22/2011, Expiration Date: 01/28/2022, Cancellation Date: 12/31/2012
Registrant: Illinois Central Railroad Co, 17641 S Ashland Avenue, Homewood, IL 60430, Phone: (708) 332-6739, Fax: (708) 332-6669, Email:
- 2 Miles W Of Stone Fort On Hwy 47 (Lat: 37.643278 Lon: -88.675778), Type: Tower, Structure height: 33.5 m, Call Sign: WQFS264, Licensee ID: L00012825
Assigned Frequencies: 453.412 MHz, 458.412 MHz
Grant Date: 09/20/2006, Expiration Date: 09/20/2016, Certifier: Tracey Felty
Registrant: County Of Saline, 1 N Main St, Harrisburg, IL 62946, Phone: (618) 252-8661, Fax: (618) 252-2503, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:4
- Carrier Mills, N Of Carrier Mills At Town Park Rd (Lat: 37.701389 Lon: -88.636389), Type: Tower, Structure height: 94.5 m, Overall height: 95.4 m, Call Sign: WPSL912
Assigned Frequencies: 952.606 MHz, 928.606 MHz
Grant Date: 05/04/2011, Expiration Date: 06/18/2021, Certifier: Clayton L Brunner
Registrant: Utility Telecom Consulting Group, Inc., 1554 St. Paul Street, Denver, CO 80206, Phone: (303) 840-1041, Fax: (303) 840-1028, Email:
- Carrier Mills, 1.2 Miles Nw Of (Lat: 37.701528 Lon: -88.636444), Type: Tower, Structure height: 103.6 m, Overall height: 108.2 m, Call Sign: WQEP653
Assigned Frequencies: 6855.00 MHz, 6825.00 MHz
Grant Date: 03/20/2006, Expiration Date: 03/20/2016, Certifier: Larry Burns
Registrant: Utility Telecom Consulting Group, Inc., 1554 St. Paul Street, Denver, CO 80206, Phone: (303) 840-1041, Fax: (303) 840-1029, Email:
- CRAB ORCHARD, Carrier Mills (Lat: 37.738000 Lon: -88.701000), Type: Tower, Structure height: 94.7 m, Overall height: 96.3 m, Call Sign: WQFH519
Assigned Frequencies: 6256.54 MHz, 6226.89 MHz
Grant Date: 07/17/2006, Expiration Date: 07/17/2016, Certifier: Douglas J Minster
Registrant: Allied Wireless Communications Corporation, 1001 Technology Drive, Little Rock, AR 72223, Phone: (501) 448-1249, Fax: (501) 448-1580, Email:
- STATION, 2.5 Mi S Of Jct Of Cr 9 And Sr 13 (Lat: 37.701417 Lon: -88.636417), Overall height: 94.5 m, Call Sign: KYM35
Assigned Frequencies: 2190.40 MHz, 2193.60 MHz
Grant Date: 08/17/2000, Expiration Date: 09/19/2010, Cancellation Date: 12/08/2008
Registrant: Phone: (618) 964-1448
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Carrier Mills)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 22
- Hazardous Condition: 1
- Service Call: 1
Incident types - Carrier Mills
|Most common first names in Carrier Mills, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Carrier Mills, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Carrier Mills on our top lists:
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Community and social services occupations:"
- #35 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Primary, secondary, and special education school teachers:"
- #43 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Radio, TV, and computer and software, and other electronic stores"
- #67 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Drugs and druggists' sundries, and chemical and allied products merchant wholesalers"
- #88 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of assaults in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data"
- #94 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest city-data.com crime index per police officer in 2005-2006"
- #101 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest city-data.com crime index increase from 2000-2002 average to 2006"
- #69 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2015.