|Median resident age:||45.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04750.
Caswell town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $63,904 (it was $40,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 294 (96.1%)
- American Indian alone - 8 (2.6%)
- Two or more races - 2 (0.7%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.3%)
- Hispanic - 1 (0.3%)
Ancestries: French (27.3%), United States (20.6%), French Canadian (18.4%), Irish (11.0%), English (8.6%), German (2.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 04/14/1879
Land area: 41.5 square miles.
Population density: 7.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Caswell:
- High school or higher: 59.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 3.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 15.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Caswell town:
- Never married: 15.5%
- Now married: 62.9%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 12.7%
16 residents are foreign born (4.9% North America).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Caswell, Maine as of July 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Caswell to the number of sex offenders is 156 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Caswell town:||1.2% ($483)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (257.4 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (359.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (519.0 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Loring AFB, ME (1.9 miles ), Limestone, ME (2.3 miles ), Hamlin, ME (2.8 miles ), Caribou, ME (3.2 miles ), New Sweden, ME (3.4 miles ), Van Buren, ME (3.6 miles ), Stockholm, ME (3.8 miles ), Fort Fairfield, ME (3.9 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $125,000
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $201,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $42,000
Latitude: 46.98 N, Longitude: 67.86 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (18%)
- Food (11%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Construction (9%)
- Food and beverage stores (9%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Health care (24%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Gasoline stations (9%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Electrical equipment, appliances, and components (4%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (13%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (10%)
- Cashiers (9%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (9%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (7%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
Earthquake activity:Caswell-area historical earthquake activity is below Maine state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 38.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 331.0 miles away from Caswell center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 182.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 377.4 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 301.7 miles away from Caswell center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 117.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Caswell:
- VISITING NURSES OF AROOSTOOK (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- CARY MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 10 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- MAINE VETERANS HOME - CARIBOU (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- CARIBOU REHAB AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- PROFESSIONAL HOME NURSING INC (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- VALLEY HOME HEALTH SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
- BORDERVIEW REHAB AND LIVING CTR (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; VAN BUREN, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Caswell:
- University of Maine (about 150 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 156 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 195 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 206 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 253 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 258 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 258 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Public elementary/middle school in Caswell:
- Dawn F Barnes Elementary School (Students: 50; Location: 1025 VAN BUREN ROAD; Grades: PK-8)
Notable location: Caswell Plantation (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Howland Family Cemetery (1), Houghton Cemetery (2), Caldwell Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Big Black Brook Lake (A), Butterfield Lake (B), Deer Lake (C), Gerard Pond (D), Little Black Brook Lake (E), Martin Lake (F), Mud Lake (G), Pierce Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Willard Brook (A), Masters Brook (B), Daggett Brook (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 90.9. This is worse than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.162. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 21.3 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 2.20. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 21.3 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.555. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 21.3 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 27.1. This is about average. Closest monitor was 10.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 18.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 6.50. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 21.2 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Caswell and their reported violations in the past:CASWELL ELEM/AKA DAWN BARNES (Population served: 56, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-02-2008), St Formal NOV issued (SEP-02-2008), St Public Notif received (SEP-12-2008), St Compliance achieved (SEP-01-2011)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- 23 regular monitoring violations
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Caswell compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (94%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Wood (3%)
Religion statistics for Caswell town (based on Aroostook County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 60.84%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Methodist Church||The Wesleyan Church||Assemblies of God|
|Name||United Church of Christ||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||LDS (Mormon) Church||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Caswell:
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Caswell:
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCXU (97.7 FM; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: THE CANXUS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W274AF (102.7 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
- Hazardous Condition: 1