Center Hill, Florida
Center Hill: ice on blueberry field at the Center Hill Berrry Patch
Center Hill: Thornless blackberries for U Pick at the Center Hill Berry Patch
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||26.1 years|
|Florida median age:||41.5 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $13,904 (it was $13,546 in 2000)
Center Hill city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $99,649 (it was $41,200 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $773.
Races in Center Hill, FL (2010)
- 51151.7%White alone
- 888.9%Black alone
- 151.5%Two or more races
- 40.4%American Indian alone
- 30.3%Asian alone
- 20.2%Other race alone
|Have theses areas really sunk? (39 replies)|
|Can I buy affordable large acreage within 90 minutes to Disney (23 replies)|
|Companies Hiring in the Orlando area (23 replies)|
|Central Florida scenic drives (16 replies)|
|companies that supply and ship (2 replies)|
|small town (36 replies)|
Latest news from Center Hill, FL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (9.7%), United States (9.4%), Irish (7.9%), German (6.5%), Scottish (1.5%), Subsaharan African (1.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 102 feet
Land area: 1.71 square miles.
Population density: 615 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Center Hill:
- High school or higher: 65.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.1%
- Unemployed: 5.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Center Hill city:
- Never married: 33.0%
- Now married: 53.4%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 4.3%
- Divorced: 9.4%
145 residents are foreign born (8.3% Latin America).
According to our research of Florida and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Center Hill, Florida as of October 09, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Center Hill to the number of sex offenders is 492 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $724 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $620 (0.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Southwest Orange, FL (33.1 miles , pop. 105,946).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Tampa, FL (54.9 miles , pop. 303,447).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (811.5 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Webster, FL (2.1 miles ), Bushnell, FL (2.7 miles ), Mascotte, FL (2.9 miles ), Okahumpka, FL (3.0 miles ), Groveland, FL (3.3 miles ), Howey-in-the-Hills-Okahumpka, FL (3.3 miles ), Coleman, FL (3.4 miles ), Yalaha, FL (3.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $62,500
Latitude: 28.65 N, Longitude: 82.00 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 352
|Crime rates in Center Hill by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 299.0)||246.3||343.7||345.9||298.8||345.9||433.9||288.8||48.7||99.1||161.2||89.4||377.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Center Hill detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.03|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (29%)
- Wholesale trade (13%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (5%)
- Information (5%)
- Retail trade (33%)
- Health care and social assistance (24%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (10%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Manufacturing (4%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (28%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (20%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (12%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (7%)
- Transportation occupations (7%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (3%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (52%)
- Sales and related occupations (14%)
- Healthcare support occupations (9%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (6%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (5%)
- Material moving occupations (3%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (3%)
Average climate in Center Hill, Florida
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Center Hill-area historical tornado activity is above Florida state average. It is 56% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/2/2007, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 16.3 miles away from the Center Hill city center killed 8 people and injured 25 people and caused $114 million in damages.
On 2/22/1998, a category F3 tornado 20.4 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 70 people and caused $15 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Center Hill-area historical earthquake activity is near Florida state average. It is 96% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 329.3 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 313.9 miles away from Center Hill center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 359.7 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 362.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/11/2002 at 23:39:29, a magnitude 4.4 (4.0 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 1.5 mi) earthquake occurred 287.2 miles away from Center Hill center
On 8/21/1992 at 16:31:55, a magnitude 4.4 (4.1 MB, 4.1 LG, 4.4 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 324.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Sumter County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 5, Tornadoes: 3, Fires: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Flood: 1, Freeze: 1, Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Center Hill:
- OSPREY POINT NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; BUSHNELL, FL)
- PRECISION HOME HEALTH CARE INC (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; LEESBURG, FL)
- AVANTE AT LEESBURG, INC (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; LEESBURG, FL)
- LEESBURG REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 14 miles away; LEESBURG, FL)
- LEESBURG HEALTH AND REHAB, LLC (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; LEESBURG, FL)
- HARTFORD HEALTH SERVICES INC (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; LEESBURG, FL)
- RTC - LEESBURG (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; LEESBURG, FL)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Center Hill:
- Lake-Sumter State College (about 18 miles; Leesburg, FL; Full-time enrollment: 2,983)
- Saint Leo University (about 27 miles; Saint Leo, FL; FT enrollment: 14,572)
- Valencia College (about 34 miles; Orlando, FL; FT enrollment: 30,467)
- Rasmussen College-Florida (about 37 miles; Ocala, FL; FT enrollment: 5,736)
- College of Central Florida (about 38 miles; Ocala, FL; FT enrollment: 6,103)
- Everest University-South Orlando (about 38 miles; Orlando, FL; FT enrollment: 33,859)
- Universal Technical Institute-Auto Motorcycle & Marine Mechanics Institute Division-Orlando (about 39 miles; Orlando, FL; FT enrollment: 4,338)
Notable locations in Center Hill: Center Hill City Hall (A), Sumter County Fire and Rescue Station 14 Center Hill Fire District (B), Center Hill City Police Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Center Hill include: Center Hill Presbyterian Church (A), Pentecostal Lighthouse Fellowship (B), First Baptist Church of Center Hill (C), Independent Free Will Baptist Church of Center Hill (D), North Avenue Church of Christ (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Center Hill Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 56.8. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 26.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2009 was 16.5. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 24.6 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Center Hill and their reported violations in the past:CENTER HILL WATER DEPT-CITY OF (Population served: 762, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2005 and SEP-2005, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (SEP-19-2006)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2005 and SEP-2005, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (SEP-19-2006)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Center Hill that have no violations reported:
- SNOWBIRD SOUTH R V PARK (Population served: 150, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(19.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 33.3% for Black residents, 63.6% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||3.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Center Hill compared to Florida state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (86%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (11%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Center Hill city (based on Sumter County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Sumter County:||1.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florida:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sumter County:||0.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florida:||1.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sumter County:||3.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||7||$4,726|
|Police Protection - Officers||3||$8,610||$34,440||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||1||$4,328||$51,936||1||$1,495|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||1||$1,422|
|Totals for Government||4||$12,938||$38,814||10||$8,306|
Center Hill government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Solid Waste Management: $143,000 ($135.80)
Police Protection: $128,000 ($121.56)
Financial Administration: $83,000 ($78.82)
Water Utilities: $58,000 ($55.08)
Parks & Recreation: $41,000 ($38.94)
Fire Protection: $21,000 ($19.94)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $183,000 ($173.79)
Center Hill government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $70,000 ($66.48)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $15,000 ($14.25)
Interest Earnings: $1,000 ($0.95)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $93,000 ($88.32)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $60,000 ($56.98)
Highways: $8,000 ($7.60)
- Tax - Public Utilities: $79,000 ($75.02)
Total General Sales: $60,000 ($56.98)
Other Selective Sales: $45,000 ($42.74)
Property: $7,000 ($6.65)
NEC: $2,000 ($1.90)
Center Hill government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $428,000 ($406.46)
11.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($64,680 average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved from foreign countries ($296 average AGI)
Sumter County: 0.05% Florida average: 0.11%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lake County, FL||0.93% ($37,380 average AGI)|
|from Marion County, FL||0.70% ($34,139)|
|from Broward County, FL||0.25% ($60,178)|
6.08% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,980 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Center Hill:
- WFLF (540 AM; 50 kW; PINE HILLS, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQTM (740 AM; 50 kW; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQBQ (1410 AM; 10 kW; LEESBURG, FL)
- WDYZ (990 AM; 50 kW; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WQYK (1010 AM; 50 kW; SEFFNER, FL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF TAMPA)
- WLBE (790 AM; 5 kW; LEESBURG-EUSTIS, FL; Owner: WLBE 790, INC.)
- WONQ (1030 AM; 45 kW; OVIEDO, FL; Owner: FLORIDA BROADCASTERS)
- WHOO (1080 AM; daytime; 35 kW; KISSIMMEE, FL; Owner: GENESIS COMMUNICATIONS I, INC.)
- WRZN (720 AM; 10 kW; HERNANDO, FL; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WMGG (820 AM; 50 kW; LARGO, FL; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ST. PETERSBURG LICENSEE)
- WIXC (1060 AM; 50 kW; TITUSVILLE, FL; Owner: GENESIS COMMUNICATIONS I, INC.)
- WTLN (950 AM; 12 kW; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: TM2, INC.)
- WKFL (1170 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BUSHNELL, FL; Owner: K FLORIDA RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Center Hill:
- WXXL (106.7 FM; TAVARES, FL; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WWKQ (88.7 FM; CLERMONT, FL; Owner: HISPANIC BROADCAST SYSTEM, INC.)
- WCFB (94.5 FM; DAYTONA BEACH, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WOGK (93.7 FM; OCALA, FL; Owner: OCALA BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- W212BF (90.3 FM; LEESBURG, FL; Owner: CTRAL FLORIDA EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WMGF (107.7 FM; MOUNT DORA, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WOCL (105.9 FM; DELAND, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WPCV (97.5 FM; WINTER HAVEN, FL; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTMP-FM (96.1 FM; DADE CITY, FL; Owner: TAMA GROUP, L.C.)
- WOMX-FM (105.1 FM; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WJRR (101.1 FM; COCOA BEACH, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSHE (100.3 FM; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTKS-FM (104.1 FM; COCOA BEACH, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMFQ (92.9 FM; OCALA, FL; Owner: ASTERISK COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WPYO (95.3 FM; APOPKA, FL; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Center Hill:
- WZXZ-CA (Channel 11; ORLANDO, ETC., FL; Owner: THE BOX WORLDWIDE LLC)
- WESH (Channel 2; DAYTONA BEACH, FL; Owner: ORLANDO HEARST-ARGYLE TELEVISION, INC.)
- WXXU-LP (Channel 12; ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, FL; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS)
- WVEN-TV (Channel 26; DAYTONA BEACH, FL; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WKMG-TV (Channel 6; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: POST-NEWSWEEK STATIONS ORLANDO, INC.)
- WRBW (Channel 65; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- WACX (Channel 55; LEESBURG, FL; Owner: ASSOCIATED CHRISTIAN TELEVISION SYSTEM, INC.)
- WKCF (Channel 18; CLERMONT, FL; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WLCB-TV (Channel 45; LEESBURG, FL; Owner: GOOD LIFE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W61AK (Channel 61; INVERNESS, FL; Owner: VIACOM INTERNATIONAL INC.)
Center Hill fatal accident list:
Jan 4, 1983 03:00 AM, 469, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Oct 6, 1977 04:57 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 2
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- 6,078Total average daily traffic
- 1,199Total average daily truck traffic
- 6,666Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:20 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Center Hill)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- .5 Mi N Hwy 48 .925 Mi W Of Int Hwys 48 & 469 (Lat: 28.656944 Lon: -82.009806), Call Sign: KVI398, Licensee ID: L00219604
Assigned Frequencies: 152.915 MHz
Grant Date: 12/24/2002, Expiration Date: 01/20/2013, Cancellation Date: 03/23/2013
Registrant: Florida Crushed Stone Company, Leesburg, FL 34749-0300, Phone: (904) 793-5151
- Well Trans. RTU 1, 73m South Of Cr 48 & About 15m East Of Magnolia Avenue (Lat: 28.649056 Lon: -81.994333), Type: Pole, Structure height: 6 m, Call Sign: WQAQ383
Assigned Frequencies: 452.862 MHz
Grant Date: 07/19/2004, Expiration Date: 07/19/2014, Certifier: Diane Lamb
Registrant: Us Filter Control Systems, Inc., 1239 Willow Lake Boulevard, Vadnais Heights, MN 55110, Phone: (651) 766-2700, Fax: (651) 766-2743, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KA8WAM, Licensee ID: L01326035
Grant Date: 04/20/1999, Expiration Date: 04/20/2009, Cancellation Date: 10/12/2007
Registrant: Charles J Buckhannon, 7337 County Road 702, Center Hill, FL 33514
- Call Sign: KE4MH, Previous Call Sign: KA4BVI
Grant Date: 10/20/1987, Expiration Date: 10/20/1997, Cancellation Date: 10/21/1999
Registrant: Lanis D Skinner, Center Hill, FL 33514
- Call Sign: WA4GYI
Grant Date: 05/27/1997, Expiration Date: 05/27/2007, Cancellation Date: 05/28/2009
Registrant: Harrold J Young, 9362 Cr 734, Center Hill, FL 33514
- Call Sign: WA4WAM, Previous Call Sign: KA8WAM, Licensee ID: L01326035
Grant Date: 10/12/2007, Expiration Date: 10/12/2017, Certifier: Charles J Buckhannon
Registrant: Charles J Buckhannon, 7337 County Road 702, Center Hill, FL 33514
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-20 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 94 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2634A , Serial Number: 20-947, Year manufactured: 1952, Airworthiness Date: 12/13/2004
Registrant (Individual): Maurice J Kirk, 5451 Cr 573, Center Hill, FL 33514
- Aircraft: HATCHER RODERICK R CH701 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: JABIRU 3300 (120 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 3701M , Serial Number: 7038, Year manufactured: 2010, Airworthiness Date: 02/14/2011
Registrant (Individual): Michael Hatcher, 7496 Cr 736, Center Hill, FL 33514
- Aircraft: PIPER J3C-65 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 67 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR A&C75 SERIES (75 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 7197H , Serial Number: 20458, Year manufactured: 1946, Airworthiness Date: 01/27/1960
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, 5451 Cr 573, Center Hill, FL 33514
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 14
- Hazardous Condition: 18
- Service Call: 16
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Center Hill
|Most common first names in Center Hill, FL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Center Hill, FL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Center Hill on our top lists:
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Recyclable material merchant wholesalers"
- #20 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses"
- #29 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Metal and mineral, except petroleum, merchant wholesalers"
- #43 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of assaults in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Supervisors, construction and extraction workers"
- #1 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people moving in compared to moving out (pop. 50,000+)"
- #9 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2005 and 2006"
- #40 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #80 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #89 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of infant deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"