|Median resident age:||36.5 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 42129
Center CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $86,720 (it was $56,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 2,386 (94.6%)
- Black alone - 89 (3.5%)
- Two or more races - 20 (0.8%)
- Hispanic - 17 (0.7%)
- American Indian alone - 5 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 3 (0.1%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.04%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 806 feet
Land area: 82.0 square miles.
Population density: 31 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Center:
- High school or higher: 54.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Center CCD:
- Never married: 17.0%
- Now married: 64.3%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 8.4%
- Divorced: 10.3%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Center CCD:||0.4% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Louisville, KY (78.1 miles , pop. 256,231).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (344.7 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Hiseville, KY (2.7 miles ), Donansburg, KY (2.8 miles ), Edmonton, KY (3.0 miles ), Hardyville, KY (3.2 miles ), Gresham, KY (3.6 miles ), Horse Cave, KY (3.7 miles ), Summer Shade, KY (3.7 miles ), Gradyville, KY (3.8 miles ).
Latitude: 37.10 N, Longitude: 85.68 W
Area code: 270
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (24%)
- Construction (13%)
- Transportation equipment (9%)
- Metal and metal products (7%)
- Printing and related support activities (4%)
- Truck transportation (3%)
- Repair and maintenance (3%)
- Health care (18%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Apparel (5%)
- Petroleum and coal products (4%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (18%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (7%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
Average climate in Center, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Center-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Kentucky state average. It is 50% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/27/1971, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.1 miles away from the Center place center killed 6 people and injured 58 people.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 tornado 14.2 miles away from the place center injured 56 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Center-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 76% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 152.5 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 122.0 miles away from Center center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 130.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 169.1 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 131.4 miles away from Center center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 151.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Metcalfe County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 7, Storms: 7, Tornadoes: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snow: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Center:
- METCALFE HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; EDMONTON, KY)
- GLENVIEW HEALTH CARE FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; GLASGOW, KY)
- FMC - GLASGOW KIDNEY CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; GLASGOW, KY)
- NHC HEALTHCARE, GLASGOW (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; GLASGOW, KY)
- T. J. SAMSON COMM HOSP HOME CARE PROGRAM (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; GLASGOW, KY)
- T J SAMSON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 14 miles away; GLASGOW, KY)
- GLASGOW STATE NURSING FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; GLASGOW, KY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Center:
- Lindsey Wilson College (about 21 miles; Columbia, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,552)
- Campbellsville University (about 25 miles; Campbellsville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,948)
- Elizabethtown Community and Technical College (about 43 miles; Elizabethtown, KY; FT enrollment: 3,762)
- Western Kentucky University (about 44 miles; Bowling Green, KY; FT enrollment: 16,942)
- Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 45 miles; Bowling Green, KY; FT enrollment: 2,794)
- Somerset Community College (about 59 miles; Somerset, KY; FT enrollment: 4,698)
- Tennessee Technological University (about 65 miles; Cookeville, TN; FT enrollment: 9,761)
Notable locations in Center: Sulphur Well (A), North Metcalfe Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Center include: Pink Ridge Church (A), Pleasant Valley Church (B), Allens Grove Church (C), Antioch Church (D), Bethel Church (E), Bethlehem Church (F), Seven Springs Cumberlanld Presbyterian Church (G), Shady Grove Baptist Church (H), Cedar Top Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Webb Cemetery (1), Buck Hill Cemetery (2), Cassady Cemetery (3), Center Cemetery (4), Young Cemetery (5), Nunn Cemetery (6), Hiser Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Adams Creek (A), Dry Fork Branch (B), Ten Acre Branch (C), Cave Branch (D), Caney Fork Creek (E), Sulphur Creek (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Center compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Center (2011 data):
- Edmonton State Bank: Center Branch at Main Street, branch established on 1975/10/14. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $433.8 mil, Deposits: $359.4 mil, headquarters in Glasgow, KY, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 13 total offices, Holding Company: Edmonton Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (32%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (29%)
- Utility gas (23%)
- Wood (13%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Center CCD (based on Metcalfe County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 50.88%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Old Missionary Baptists Associations||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Metcalfe County:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Metcalfe County:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Metcalfe County:||6.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
5.04% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($24,559 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
6.64% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($24,386 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Center:
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WCLU (1490 AM; 1 kW; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: ROYSE RADIO, INC.)
- WAKY (1540 AM; 1 kW; GREENSBURG, KY; Owner: GREEN COUNTY CBC, INC.)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WKCT (930 AM; 5 kW; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: DAILY NEWS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WLOC (1150 AM; 1 kW; MUNFORDVILLE, KY; Owner: HART COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Center:
- WKNK (99.1 FM; EDMONTON, KY; Owner: HART COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHHT (106.7 FM; HORSE CAVE, KY; Owner: NEWBERRY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCLU-FM (102.3 FM; MUNFORDVILLE, KY; Owner: ROYSE RADIO, INC)
- WGRK-FM (103.1 FM; GREENSBURG, KY; Owner: GREEN COUNTY CBC, INC.)
- WPTQ (103.7 FM; CAVE CITY, KY; Owner: NEWBERRY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGGC (95.1 FM; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: HERITAGE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOVO (105.3 FM; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: NEWBERRY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGBV (94.1 FM; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS,INC.)
- WTKY-FM (92.1 FM; TOMPKINSVILLE, KY; Owner: WHITTIMORE ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WDCL-FM (89.7 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
- WCKQ (104.1 FM; CAMPBELLSVILLE, KY; Owner: CBC OF MARION & TAYLOR COUNTIES INC)
- WSGP (88.3 FM; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: SOMERSET EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- WKLX (100.7 FM; BROWNSVILLE, KY; Owner: CHARLES M. ANDERSON)
- WVLC (99.9 FM; MANNSVILLE, KY; Owner: PATRICIA RODGERS)
TV broadcast stations around Center:
- WBKI-TV (Channel 34; CAMPBELLSVILLE, KY; Owner: LOUISVILLE COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WNKY (Channel 40; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: MMK LICENSE LLC)
- WPBM-LP (Channel 48; SCOTTSVILLE, KY; Owner: PROCLAIM BROADCASTING, INC.)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Lat: 37.133611 Lon: -85.636944, Call Sign: WQBF566
Assigned Frequencies: 159.840 MHz
Grant Date: 09/30/2004, Expiration Date: 09/30/2014, Certifier: Nathaniel C Froggett
Registrant: Lao 20421804, 102 East Middle Street, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (800) 886-4222, Fax: (717) 337-9157, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: KA4JHE, Licensee ID: L00420964
Grant Date: 02/25/2003, Expiration Date: 04/13/2013
Registrant: Linden G South, 201 Main Street, Center, KY 42214
- Call Sign: KA4UZO, Licensee ID: L01185344
Grant Date: 08/23/2006, Expiration Date: 11/21/2016, Certifier: Roger D Davis
Registrant: Roger D Davis, 7890 Hwy 218, Center, KY 42214
- Call Sign: KA4VHS, Licensee ID: L00982836
Grant Date: 05/19/2006, Expiration Date: 06/05/2016, Certifier: Lonnie R Rose
Registrant: Lonnie R Rose, 718 Hwy 1048, Center, KY 42214
- Call Sign: KE4HLY, Licensee ID: L00721525
Grant Date: 08/12/2003, Expiration Date: 11/09/2013
Registrant: Rodney A Jolly, 1607 Seven Springs Ch Rd, Center, KY 42214
- Call Sign: N9FRD, Licensee ID: L00233965
Grant Date: 11/01/2005, Expiration Date: 01/11/2016, Certifier: Russell E Tunks
Registrant: Russell E Tunks, 661 Perkins Road, Center, KY 42214
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Center on our top lists:
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Petroleum and coal products"
- #34 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Advertising, marketing, promotions, public relations, and sales managers"
- #36 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Advertising, marketing, promotions, public relations, and sales managers"
- #44 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Personal appearance workers"
- #84 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Construction, extraction, maintenance, and repair occupations:"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Jewelry, luggage, and leather goods stores"
- #16 (42129) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of United States or American first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #27 (42129) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers using paid preparers for 2004 taxes (pop 5,000+)"
State forum archive: