Central City, Colorado
Central City: Central City Parkway from I-70
Central City: Mines
Central City: Log Cabin
Central City: Store Front
Central City: Store Front
Central City: Courthouse
Central City: The Haight House in Central City Built in 1885
Central City: Store Front
Central City: House
Central City: Mines
Central City: Engine 71
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||45.5 years|
|Colorado median age:||36.4 years|
Zip codes: 80452.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $38,597 (it was $26,465 in 2000)
Central City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $198,820 (it was $153,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $189,468; Detached houses: $179,474; Townhouses or other attached units: $282,564
Median gross rent in 2015: $994.
Races in Central City, CO (2010)
- 53280.2%White alone
- 243.6%Asian alone
- 152.3%Black alone
- 101.5%American Indian alone
- 71.1%Two or more races
- 20.3%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing industry sectors in the Northeast are Construction-related Apr 25
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
|Denver in the 1960s and 1970s (Memory Lane) (1454 replies)|
|Denver was fun, but it's time to move on...Please read if you're a newcomer (134 replies)|
|My first time in Colorado, super impressed! (37 replies)|
|Central City Colorado (25 replies)|
|Summer 2013 Colorado Weather, Rain, Monsoon, Thunderstorms, Hail, El Nino, La Nina, etc (420 replies)|
|What to do or where to visit in summer (21 replies)|
Latest news from Central City, CO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Central City, CO City Guides:
Ancestries: Scottish (17.8%), Polish (11.7%), Scotch-Irish (10.3%), Irish (7.5%), German (6.1%), Dutch (4.7%).
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Elevation: 8496 feet
Land area: 1.89 square miles.
Population density: 384 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Central City:
- High school or higher: 93.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.2%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Central City city:
- Never married: 41.9%
- Now married: 30.7%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 6.5%
- Divorced: 17.9%
8 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Colorado and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Central City, Colorado as of April 26, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Central City to the number of sex offenders is 673 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $462 (0.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $343 (0.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Boulder, CO (20.3 miles , pop. 94,673).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Northeast Jefferson, CO (22.1 miles , pop. 450,166).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (566.0 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Black Hawk, CO (1.1 miles) , Idaho Springs, CO (2.0 miles ), Downieville-Lawson-Dumont, CO (2.4 miles ), Floyd Hill, CO (2.6 miles ), St. Mary's, CO (2.7 miles ), Rollinsville, CO (2.8 miles) , Empire, CO (3.1 miles ), Coal Creek, CO (3.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $85,500
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $85,500
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $85,500
- 2004: 7 buildings, average cost: $128,400
- 2005: 15 buildings, average cost: $80,800
- 2006: 31 buildings, average cost: $145,200
- 2007: 18 buildings, average cost: $163,700
- 2008: 24 buildings, average cost: $161,900
- 2009: 8 buildings, average cost: $158,900
- 2011: 4 buildings, average cost: $154,800
- 2013: 8 buildings, average cost: $156,500
- 2014: 4 buildings, average cost: $162,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.80 N, Longitude: 105.52 W
|Crime rates in Central City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.1)||45.6||1030.4||852.0||365.8||352.2||305.9||352.3||411.9||515.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Central City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||9.47|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (46%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Construction (12%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Manufacturing (3%)
- Educational services (3%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (63%)
- Wholesale trade (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Personal care and service occupations (20%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (15%)
- Production occupations (8%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (5%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (5%)
- Personal care and service occupations (25%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (20%)
- Management occupations (12%)
- Computer and mathematical occupations (5%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (5%)
- Sales and related occupations (5%)
Average climate in Central City, Colorado
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Central City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Colorado state average. It is 18% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/15/1988, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 31.6 miles away from the Central City city center injured 7 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/18/1975, a category F3 tornado 41.8 miles away from the city center .
Earthquake activity:Central City-area historical earthquake activity is near Colorado state average. It is 102% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 179.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 518.4 miles away from Central City center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 3/28/1975 at 02:31:05, a magnitude 6.2 (6.1 MB, 6.0 MS, 6.2 ML, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 394.4 miles away from the city center
On 2/3/1995 at 15:26:10, a magnitude 5.3 (5.3 MB, 4.6 MS, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 247.1 miles away from the city center
On 2/3/1994 at 09:05:04, a magnitude 5.8 (5.4 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, 5.8 ML, Depth: 4.9 mi) earthquake occurred 349.9 miles away from Central City center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 203.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Gilpin County (6) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 2, Storms: 2, Fire: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Florence R. Sabin - Health activist, Fred C. Newmeyer - Actor.
Amtrak station near Central City:
- 19 miles: FRAISER-WINTER PARK (FRASER, 420 RAILROAD ST.) - Seasonal Station . Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Central City:
- Colorado School of Mines (about 16 miles; Golden, CO; Full-time enrollment: 5,507)
- University of Colorado Boulder (about 20 miles; Boulder, CO; FT enrollment: 28,328)
- Red Rocks Community College (about 21 miles; Lakewood, CO; FT enrollment: 6,185)
- Colorado Christian University (about 24 miles; Lakewood, CO; FT enrollment: 2,959)
- Regis University (about 26 miles; Denver, CO; FT enrollment: 6,975)
- Front Range Community College (about 27 miles; Westminster, CO; FT enrollment: 14,756)
- Community College of Denver (about 28 miles; Denver, CO; FT enrollment: 7,329)
Notable locations in Central City: Colrado State Patrol Gilpin County Gaming Post (A), Central City Police Department (B), Central City Fire Department Station 1 (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Missouri City Cemetery (1), Red Men Lodge Cemetery (2), Catholic Cemetery (3), City Cemetery (4), Foresters Cemetery (5), Independent Order of Oddfellows Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Central City: Central City-Balck Hawk Historic District (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Gilpin County Historical Society (Museums; 228 East 1 High).
Hotel: Golden Rose Victorian Hotel (101 Main Street).
Courts: Gilpin County Court House (203 Eureka), Central City City - Municipal Court (141 Nevada).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 81.1. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2006 was 0.403. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 19.2 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2001 was 8.97. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 16.1 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 38.6. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 10.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 23.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.01. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 20.2 miles away from the city center.
(10.1% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 10.7% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 33.3% for other race residents, 20.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||1.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 1.2% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Central City city (based on Gilpin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Gilpin County:||1.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.99 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Central City, CO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Streets and Highways||4||$9,162||$27,486||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||6||$20,351||$40,702||2||$4,114|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$6,199||$74,388||1||$1,705|
|Other Government Administration||2||$7,249||$43,494||5||$5,362|
|Police - Other||0||$0||1||$638|
|Totals for Government||16||$56,999||$42,749||38||$14,588|
11.81% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,108 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Jefferson County, CO||2.24% ($58,727 average AGI)|
|from Boulder County, CO||1.27% ($53,960)|
|from Denver County, CO||1.07% ($43,048)|
12.52% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,246 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Central City:
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLMO (1060 AM; 30 kW; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KCUV (1510 AM; 25 kW; LITTLETON, CO; Owner: PEOPLE WIRELESS, INC.)
- KVCU (1190 AM; 7 kW; BOULDER, CO; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF CO FOUNDATION, INC.)
- KRKS (990 AM; 10 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLZ (560 AM; 5 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KPOF (910 AM; 5 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: PILLAR OF FIRE)
- KADZ (1550 AM; 10 kW; ARVADA, CO; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- KBJD (1650 AM; 10 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KDDZ (1690 AM; 10 kW; ARVADA, CO; Owner: ABC, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Central City:
- KYGO-FM (98.5 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OF COLORADO)
- KXPK (96.5 FM; EVERGREEN, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KBCO-FM (97.3 FM; BOULDER, CO; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KBPI (106.7 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KALC (105.9 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: ENTERCOM DENVER LICENSE, LLC)
- KFMD (95.7 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KOSI (101.1 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: ENTERCOM DENVER LICENSE, LLC)
- KRFX (103.5 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KRKS-FM (94.7 FM; LAFAYETTE, CO; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF COLORADO, INC)
- KUVO (89.3 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: DENVER EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING)
- KIMN (100.3 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KVOD (90.1 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: PUBLIC BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC)
- K209DE (89.7 FM; GOLDEN, CO; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- KXKL-FM (105.1 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KQKS (107.5 FM; LAKEWOOD, CO; Owner: JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY OF COLORADO)
- KQMT (99.5 FM; DENVER, CO; Owner: ENTERCOM DENVER LICENSE, LLC)
- KLDV (91.1 FM; MORRISON, CO; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- K229AC (93.7 FM; WARD, CO; Owner: BOULDER COMMUNITY BROADCAST ASSOC., INC.)
- K300AE (107.9 FM; BRECKENRIDGE, CO; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- K207CK (89.3 FM; BRECKENRIDGE, CO; Owner: SUMMIT PUBLIC RADIOSUMMIT FOUNDATION)
TV broadcast stations around Central City:
- KUSA-TV (Channel 9; DENVER, CO; Owner: MULTIMEDIA HOLDINGS CORPORATION)
- KTVD (Channel 20; DENVER, CO; Owner: TWENVER BROADCAST, INC.)
- KCNC-TV (Channel 4; DENVER, CO; Owner: CBS TELEVISION STATIONS INC.)
- K08IV (Channel 8; PINEWOOD SPRINGS,ETC, CO; Owner: CHANNEL 20 TV COMPANY)
- KWGN-TV (Channel 2; DENVER, CO; Owner: KWGN INC.)
- KMGH-TV (Channel 7; DENVER, CO; Owner: MCGRAW-HILL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KRMA-TV (Channel 6; DENVER, CO; Owner: ROCKY MOUNTAIN PUBLIC BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- KDVR (Channel 31; DENVER, CO; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
- KMAS-LP (Channel 63; DENVER, CO; Owner: TELEMUNDO OF STEAMBOAT SPRINGS COLO. LIC. CORP.)
- KDEN (Channel 25; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: LONGMONT CHANNEL 25, INC.)
- K48FW (Channel 48; DENVER, CO; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KPXC-TV (Channel 59; DENVER, CO; Owner: PAXSON DENVER LICENSE, INC.)
- KBDI-TV (Channel 12; BROOMFIELD, CO; Owner: FRONT RANGE EDUCATIONAL MEDIA CORP.)
- K47IH (Channel 47; BOULDER, CO; Owner: CHANNEL 20 TV COMPANY)
- KDVT-LP (Channel 36; DENVER, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KCEC (Channel 50; DENVER, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
Central City fatal accident list:
Feb 4, 1978 06:50 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 22m72ftTotal length
- 7,622Total average daily traffic
- 57Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: K0AUZ, Licensee ID: L00163115, Grant Date: 11/29/2004, Expiration Date: 02/24/2015, Certifier: John R Starkey, Registrant: John R Starkey, 355 Spring St, Central City, CO 80427-0662
- Call Sign: N0KVU, Previous Call Sign: KB0DVU, Grant Date: 07/18/1989, Expiration Date: 07/18/1999, Cancellation Date: 07/19/2001, Registrant: William D Round, Central City, CO 80427
- Call Sign: N0QOT, Grant Date: 01/21/1992, Expiration Date: 01/21/2002, Cancellation Date: 01/22/2004, Registrant: Penny H Round, Central City, CO 80427
- Call Sign: KD0PFV, Licensee ID: L01652973, Grant Date: 07/28/2011, Expiration Date: 07/28/2021, Certifier: William C Ward, Registrant: William C Ward, Central City, CO 80427
Drinking water stations with addresses in Central City that have no violations reported:
- CENTRAL CITY CITY OF (Population served: 3,565, Primary Water Source Type: Surface water)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 9
- Hazardous Condition: 10
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Central City
|Most common first names in Central City, CO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Central City, CO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (70%)
- Electricity (28%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Wood (1%)
Central City compared to Colorado state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- House age above state average.
Central City on our top lists:
- #11 on the list of "Top 100 cities with strongest arts, entertainment, recreation, accommodation and food services industries"
- #37 on the list of "Top 100 highest located cities"
- #46 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating to other counties in 2011"
- #66 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2010 and 2011"
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest surface withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
- #85 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2007-2013"
- #91 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest total withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2017.