We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||42.4 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04757.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $24,954 (it was $16,008 in 2000)
Chapman town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $111,827 (it was $66,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $125,039; Detached houses: $133,261; Townhouses or other attached units: $227,405; In 2-unit structures: $202,827; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $29,654; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $218,247; Mobile homes: $46,901; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $121,366
Races in Chapman, ME (2010)
- 46398.9%White alone
- 30.6%American Indian alone
- 20.4%Two or more races
|Interesting story- Vacant homes (BDN) (31 replies)|
|Presque Isle Rental Home (19 replies)|
|Blueberries? (56 replies)|
|Photos of Maine (4365 replies)|
|Wrong side of the tracks (3 replies)|
|Presque Isle comments (33 replies)|
Latest news from Chapman, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (28.2%), United States (24.9%), English (21.7%), Irish (8.6%), German (3.9%), Swedish (2.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/11/1915
Elevation: 551 feet
Land area: 38.4 square miles.
Population density: 12 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Chapman:
- High school or higher: 71.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Chapman town:
- Never married: 19.5%
- Now married: 69.5%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 5.9%
18 residents are foreign born (3.0% North America, 0.9% Asia).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Chapman town:||1.1% ($738)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (230.8 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (332.5 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (492.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Mapleton, ME (2.1 miles ), Presque Isle, ME (2.5 miles ), Castle Hill, ME (2.7 miles ), Washburn, ME (3.1 miles ), Westfield, ME (3.2 miles ), Wade, ME (3.3 miles ), Easton, ME (3.5 miles ), Ashland, ME (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $48,600
- 2002: 4 buildings, average cost: $98,200
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $98,300
- 2004: 5 buildings, average cost: $82,800
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $70,000
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $187,500
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $35,000
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $154,300
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $117,500
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $300,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 46.64 N, Longitude: 68.12 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Wood products (21%)
- Construction (8%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Truck transportation (7%)
- Machinery, equipment, and supplies merchant wholesalers (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Utilities (5%)
- Health care (22%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (10%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (16%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Electricians (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (3%)
- Cashiers (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other financial specialists (5%)
Average climate in Chapman, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Chapman-area historical earthquake activity is below Maine state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 32.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 309.0 miles away from Chapman center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 158.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 354.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 275.6 miles away from Chapman center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 92.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Chapman:
- COUNTY DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 7 miles away; PRESQUE ISLE, ME)
- AROOSTOOK MEDICAL CENTER,THE Acute Care Hospitals (about 7 miles away; PRESQUE ISLE, ME)
- PRESQUE ISLE REHAB AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; PRESQUE ISLE, ME)
- VALLEY HOME HEALTH SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 16 miles away; CARIBOU, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Chapman:
- University of Maine (about 124 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 130 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 168 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 179 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 226 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 231 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 232 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Cemetery: Grendell Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Alder Lake (A), Alder Brook Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Alder Brook (A), Hughes Brook (B), Dudley Brook (C), Dockendorff Brook (D), Grendell Brook (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 59.0. This is better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2013 was 0.155. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 5.9 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 1.97. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 5.9 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.529. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 5.9 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 27.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 5.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 15.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 5.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 5.10. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 5.8 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Chapman town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Chapman:
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Chapman:
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W274AF (102.7 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCXU (97.7 FM; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: THE CANXUS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WUPI (92.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MAINE SYSTEM)
TV broadcast stations around Chapman:
- WAGM-TV (Channel 8; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: NEPSK, INC.)
- WMEM-TV (Channel 10; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W51AG (Channel 51; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Chapman fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 14Number of bridges
- 35m115ftTotal length
- $7,856,000Total costs
- 90,524Total average daily traffic
- 7,332Total average daily truck traffic
- 127,086Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: N1WRW, Licensee ID: L01112875, Grant Date: 01/07/2016, Expiration Date: 03/05/2026, Certifier: Kenneth N Mac Callum, Registrant: Kenneth N Mac Callum, 708 Carvell Rd, Chapman, ME 04757
- Call Sign: KB1KMF, Previous Call Sign: N1QYU, Licensee ID: L00768997, Grant Date: 11/26/2013, Expiration Date: 12/21/2023, Certifier: Eric P Huoppi, Registrant: Eric P Huoppi, 3330 West Chapman Road, Chapman, ME 04757
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: PETERS WILLIAM R FLY BABY 1A (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: CONT MOTOR A&C75 SERIES (75 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 6097A , Serial Number: 68-23, Year manufactured: 1999, Airworthiness Date: 01/14/2000
Registrant (Individual): Alan T Page, 1562 Chapman Rd, Chapman, ME 04757
- Aircraft: CESSNA 120 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C85 SERIES (85 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 76530 , Serial Number: 10966, Year manufactured: 1946, Airworthiness Date: 05/07/1956
Registrant (Individual): Shaun R Bagley, 1605 Chapman Rd, Chapman, ME 04757
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (90%)
- Wood (9%)
- Electricity (1%)
Chapman compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2019.