Charlemont: "Hail to the Sunrise" statue
Charlemont: From the Beast
Charlemont: Meadows, Mohawk State Park
Charlemont: making snow - early morning
Charlemont: Charlemont, MA
Charlemont: Indian - Charlemont, MA
Charlemont: Indian Plaza - Charlemont, MA
Charlemont: 3 tipi's at indian plaza Charlemont 2006
Charlemont: Long View Info Center
Charlemont: Entering Charlemont, MA
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||46.5 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 01339.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $31,065 (it was $19,577 in 2000)
Charlemont town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $212,415 (it was $113,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $254,045; Detached houses: $264,125; Townhouses or other attached units: $219,950; In 2-unit structures: $222,435; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $204,584; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $487,647; Mobile homes: $43,609
Races in Charlemont, MA (2010)
- 1,20895.4%White alone
- 272.1%Two or more races
- 110.9%Asian alone
- 50.4%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Black alone
- 10.08%Other race alone
Latest news from Charlemont, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (19.2%), English (18.5%), French (13.5%), German (10.5%), Polish (9.8%), United States (8.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1765
Elevation: 679 feet
Land area: 26.1 square miles.
Population density: 49 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Charlemont:
- High school or higher: 89.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 29.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.6%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Charlemont town:
- Never married: 26.6%
- Now married: 52.0%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 5.8%
- Divorced: 12.2%
36 residents are foreign born (1.0% Asia, 0.8% Europe, 0.6% Latin America).
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Charlemont, Massachusetts as of June 22, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Charlemont to the number of sex offenders is 1,386 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Charlemont town:||1.8% ($2,035)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Chicopee, MA (34.8 miles , pop. 54,653).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (93.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (133.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Heath, MA (2.1 miles ), Hawley, MA (2.1 miles ), Rowe, MA (2.2 miles ), Buckland, MA (2.3 miles ), Shelburne Falls, MA (2.6 miles ), Savoy, MA (2.8 miles ), Monroe, MA (2.8 miles) , Florida, MA (2.8 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 5 buildings, average cost: $82,300
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $141,600
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $194,200
- 2000: 13 buildings, average cost: $114,100
- 2001: 3 buildings, average cost: $133,800
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $95,300
- 2003: 9 buildings, average cost: $192,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $213,700
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $89,600
- 2006: 5 buildings, average cost: $157,300
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $238,400
- 2008: 6 buildings, average cost: $110,900
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $87,500
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.63 N, Longitude: 72.87 W
Area code: 413
|Crime rates in Charlemont by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 310.9)||85.0||40.0||41.9||36.6||53.6||35.8||31.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Charlemont detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Utilities (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- Plastics and rubber products (4%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Health care (15%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (5%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Cashiers (4%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (4%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
Average climate in Charlemont, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Charlemont-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 19% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/28/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.7 miles away from the Charlemont town center killed 4 people and injured 36 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/29/1995, a category F4 tornado 35.4 miles away from the town center killed 3 people and injured 24 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Charlemont-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 117.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 135.3 miles away from Charlemont center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 87.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 92.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 35.9 miles away from Charlemont center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 228.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 10
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 5, Hurricanes: 4, Snowstorms: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Snows: 2, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Charlemont:
- ANCHORAGE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; SHELBURNE, MA)
- NORTHERN BERKSHIRE COMPREHENSIVE CARE (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; ADAMS, MA)
- HOSPICE OF N BERKSHIRE INC (Hospital, about 13 miles away; ADAMS, MA)
- CHARLENE MANOR EXTENDED CARE FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- NORTH ADAMS COMMONS NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTE (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; NORTH ADAMS, MA)
- HOSPICE OF FRANKLIN COUNTY, INC (Hospital, about 14 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- FRANKLIN CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Charlemont:
- Williams College (about 19 miles; Williamstown, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 25 miles; Amherst, MA; FT enrollment: 26,583)
- Smith College (about 25 miles; Northampton, MA; FT enrollment: 3,549)
- Mount Holyoke College (about 30 miles; South Hadley, MA; FT enrollment: 2,573)
- Holyoke Community College (about 33 miles; Holyoke, MA; FT enrollment: 4,911)
- Westfield State University (about 35 miles; Westfield, MA; FT enrollment: 5,548)
- Keene State College (about 37 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
Private high school in Charlemont:
Public elementary/middle schools in Charlemont:
Notable location: Charlemont Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Charlemont include: Community Bible Church (A), East Charlemont Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Leavitt Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoir: Mill Brook Reservoir (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Davis Mine Brook (A), Avery Brook (B), Albee Brook (C), Trout Brook (D), Todd Brook (E), Tatro Brook (F), Steele Brook (G), Rice Brook (H), Pelham Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Charlemont: Charlemont Village Historic District (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attractions: Tregelly's Fiber Farm (Recreation Areas; 15 Dodge Branch Rd) (1), Crab Apple Whitewater Inc (Recreational Trips & Guides; Route 2 Mohawk Trail) (2). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 75.5. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 26.0. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 14.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 14.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 22.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 9.90. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.3 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
15 people in agriculture workers' dormitories on farms in 2000
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Charlemont town (based on Franklin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||3.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||1.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||3.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
6.07% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,154 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($130 average AGI)
Franklin County: 0.03% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hampshire County, MA||1.74% ($33,774 average AGI)|
|from Worcester County, MA||0.81% ($33,513)|
|from Hampden County, MA||0.42% ($30,770)|
5.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,267 average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries ($160 average AGI)
Franklin County: 0.05% Massachusetts average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Charlemont:
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WUHN (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Charlemont:
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WMNB (100.1 FM; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WHAI (98.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WRSI (93.9 FM; TURNERS FALLS, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WYRY (104.9 FM; HINSDALE, NH; Owner: TRI-VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
TV broadcast stations around Charlemont:
- W35BK (Channel 35; PLAINFIELD, MA; Owner: LYDIA SYLVANE STOCKWELL)
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- WCDC-TV (Channel 19; ADAMS, MA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF ALBANY, INC.)
- W38DL (Channel 38; ADAMS, ETC., MA; Owner: WNYT-TV, LLC)
- Charlemont, Massachusetts
- Fatal accident count18
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents30
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:5
- Persons involved in fatal accidents47
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents1
- Massachusetts average
- Fatal accident count100
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents140
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons33
- Persons involved in fatal accidents230
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents13
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 30Number of bridges
- 80m262ftTotal length
- $16,586,000Total costs
- 32,374Total average daily traffic
- 2,680Total average daily truck traffic
- 29,864Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- MT INSTITUTE, Off Labelle Road (Lat: 42.613000 Lon: -72.869000), Type: Tower, Structure height: 15.3 m, Call Sign: WQDJ219
Assigned Frequencies: 953.950 MHzGrant Date: 09/08/2005, Expiration Date: 09/08/2015, Cancellation Date: 11/14/2015, Certifier: Russell SienkiewczRegistrant: New England Communications Systems, Inc, 15 Industrial Park Place, Middletown, CT 06457, Phone: (860) 632-2678, Fax: (860) 613-0559, Email:
- CHARLEMONT, Off Of River Road (Lat: 42.598944 Lon: -72.858139), Type: Tower, Structure height: 36.6 m, Call Sign: WQJB303
Assigned Frequencies: 10556.2 MHzGrant Date: 07/14/2008, Expiration Date: 07/14/2018, Certifier: Linda DunlavyRegistrant: Franklin Regional Council Of Governments, 12 Olive St, Ste 2, Greenfield, MA 01301-3318, Phone: (413) 774-3167, Fax: (413) 774-3169, Email:
- BERKSHIRE EA, E Mountain Rd, 1 Mile S Of (Lat: 42.613917 Lon: -72.870028), Type: Tower, Structure height: 36.6 m, Call Sign: WQNC833
Assigned Frequencies: 10578.1 MHzGrant Date: 12/21/2010, Expiration Date: 12/21/2020, Certifier: Charles B SutherlandRegistrant: Commonwealth Of Massachusetts Department Of State Police, 470 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01702, Phone: (508) 820-2264
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Charlemont)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 7
- Hazardous Condition: 6
- Service Call: 3
Incident types - Charlemont
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (59%)
- Wood (15%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (14%)
- Electricity (10%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Charlemont compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Charlemont on our top lists:
- #56 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other nonhousehold living situations (population 1,000+)"
- #81 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in agriculture workers' dormitories on farms (population 1,000+)"
- #21 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that drank alcohol in the past 30 days"
- #65 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest average weight of females"
- #84 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest surface withdrawal of fresh water for public supply (pop. 50,000+)"
- #88 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the best general health status score of residents (1-5), 3 years of data"
- #92 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that smoked 100+ cigarettes in their lives"
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2017.