We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||49.1 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05872.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $23,243 (it was $15,278 in 2000)
Charleston town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $153,627 (it was $79,000 in 2000)
Races in Charleston, VT (2010)
- 96594.3%White alone
- 242.3%Two or more races
- 111.1%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Other race alone
- 10.10%Black alone
- 10.10%Asian alone
Ancestries: English (26.0%), French (22.0%), United States (12.5%), Irish (9.6%), French Canadian (6.0%), Scottish (5.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 37.5 square miles.
Population density: 27 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Charleston:
- High school or higher: 77.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 9.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Charleston town:
- Never married: 23.7%
- Now married: 58.1%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 11.5%
33 residents are foreign born (2.9% North America, 0.6% Europe).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Charleston, Vermont as of December 15, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Charleston to the number of sex offenders is 512 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Charleston town:||1.4% ($1,143)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (118.7 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (180.4 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (292.0 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Morgan, VT (2.1 miles ), Westmore, VT (2.4 miles ), Brownington, VT (2.5 miles ), Island Pond, VT (2.6 miles ), Brighton, VT (2.7 miles ), Holland, VT (3.0 miles ), Orleans, VT (3.1 miles ), Derby Center, VT (3.2 miles ).
Latitude: 44.84 N, Longitude: 72.01 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (23%)
- Construction (12%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (10%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Health care (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (10%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (7%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (8%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Cashiers (10%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
Average climate in Charleston, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Charleston-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Vermont state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 87.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 130.5 miles away from Charleston center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 95.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 86.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 38.7 miles away from Charleston center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 56.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Orleans County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 17
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 11, Tropical Storms: 2, Winds: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Charleston:
- NEWPORT HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, VT)
- ORLEANS ESSEX VNA AND HOSPICE (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, VT)
- FLETCHER ALLEN HEALTHCARE - NORTH COUNTRY DIALYSIS UNIT (Dialysis Facility, about 13 miles away; NEWPORT, VT)
- NORTH COUNTRY HOSPITAL AND HEALTH CENTER Critical Access Hospitals (about 13 miles away; NEWPORT, VT)
- MAPLE LANE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; BARTON, VT)
- UNION HOUSE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; GLOVER, VT)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Charleston:
- Norwich University (about 59 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Saint Michael's College (about 62 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Community College of Vermont (about 63 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
- University of Vermont (about 64 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
- Champlain College (about 64 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- SUNY College at Plattsburgh (about 73 miles; Plattsburgh, NY; FT enrollment: 5,934)
- Plymouth State University (about 77 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
Public elementary/middle school in Charleston:
- CHARLESTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 112, Location: 255 CENTER SCHOOL ROAD, Grades: PK-8)
Notable location: Charleston Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Buck Cemetery (1), West Charleston Cemetery (2), Morrill Cemetery (3), Hillside Cemetery (4), Crawford Hill Cemetery (5), Blyhill Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Echo Lake (A), Pensioner Pond (B), Charleston Pond (C), Toad Pond (D), Mud Pond (E), Pensioner Pond (F), Seymour Lake (G), Echo Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Stumpf Brook (A), Nutting Brook (B), Mad Brook (C), Lang Brook (D), Bald Mountain Brook (E), Allyn Brook (F), Gray Brook (G), Harvey Brook (H), Buck Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Charleston town (based on Orleans County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Orleans County:||5.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Orleans County:||1.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Orleans County:||6.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.46% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($53,383 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Caledonia County, VT||0.50% ($34,732 average AGI)|
|from Lamoille County, VT||0.35% ($18,846)|
|from Chittenden County, VT||0.30% ($35,697)|
4.70% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,586 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Charleston:
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WIKE (1490 AM; 1 kW; NEWPORT, VT; Owner: NORTHSTAR MEDIA, INC.)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Charleston:
- W243AE (96.5 FM; ORLEANS, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WMOO (92.1 FM; DERBY CENTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSTAR MEDIA, INC.)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WXXS (102.3 FM; LANCASTER, NH; Owner: BARRY P. LUNDERVILLE)
- WCKJ (90.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WKXH (105.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Charleston:
- W14CK (Channel 14; NEWPORT, VT; Owner: SMC COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 12Number of bridges
- 25m82ftTotal length
- $1,249,000Total costs
- 6,008Total average daily traffic
- 341Total average daily truck traffic
- 8,662Total future (year 2018) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Lat: 44.890750 Lon: -72.071667, Call Sign: WQAM594
Assigned Frequencies: 160.087 MHzGrant Date: 07/02/2004, Expiration Date: 07/02/2014, Cancellation Date: 09/06/2014, Certifier: Pat AustinRegistrant: Cara Enterprises Inc, Salt Lake City, UT 84117-0503, Phone: (801) 278-9728, Fax: (801) 278-7239
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: NJ1M, Licensee ID: L01203096, Grant Date: 10/17/2006, Expiration Date: 01/08/2017, Certifier: Richard A Govoni, Registrant: Richard A Govoni, 1842 Sunset Dr, W Charleston, VT 05872
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (65%)
- Wood (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (6%)
- Electricity (3%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Charleston compared to Vermont state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.