We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||50.0 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04666.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $21,260 (it was $13,283 in 2000)
Charlotte town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $107,548 (it was $64,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $148,176; Detached houses: $165,160; Townhouses or other attached units: $116,928; In 2-unit structures: $179,771; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $237,952; Mobile homes: $61,717; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $45,219
Races in Charlotte, ME (2010)
- 31193.7%White alone
- 103.0%American Indian alone
- 82.4%Two or more races
|First Week in Maine (119 replies)|
|Hopefully Not Off-Topic: Grief, Relocation, and Geographical "Cures" (42 replies)|
|Where did you come from? / how long have you been in Maine? / what do you think? (244 replies)|
|Wonderful Courteous Maine Drivers (86 replies)|
|Reluctant Spouse (39 replies)|
|What's it like to live in Maine? (107 replies)|
Latest news from Charlotte, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (38.6%), United States (15.7%), Irish (12.7%), French (10.2%), German (7.1%), Welsh (3.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 01/19/1825
Elevation: 89 feet
Land area: 31.3 square miles.
Population density: 11 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Charlotte:
- High school or higher: 77.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.8%
- Unemployed: 2.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Charlotte town:
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 65.6%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 5.9%
17 residents are foreign born (5.2% North America).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Charlotte, Maine as of April 27, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Charlotte to the number of sex offenders is 292 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Charlotte town:||1.2% ($796)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (175.8 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (267.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (441.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Meddybemps, ME (2.3 miles) , Pembroke, ME (2.4 miles ), Dennysville, ME (2.5 miles ), Robbinston, ME (2.7 miles ), Perry, ME (2.9 miles ), Cooper, ME (3.0 miles) , Calais, ME (3.3 miles ), Alexander, ME (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 45.01 N, Longitude: 67.25 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Truck transportation (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Construction (10%)
- Paper (9%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Chemicals (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Health care (18%)
- Accommodation and food services (18%)
- Public administration (17%)
- Food and beverage stores (9%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (18%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (10%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (6%)
Average climate in Charlotte, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Charlotte-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 63.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 319.5 miles away from Charlotte center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 239.3 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/2005 at 03:08:57, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 4.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 2.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 357.2 miles away from Charlotte center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 50.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Snows: 5, Winds: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
airports located in Charlotte:
- Flying Ed Airport (ME06) (Runways: 2)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Charlotte:
- University of Maine (about 70 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 77 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 134 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 144 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 175 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 177 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 180 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
Public elementary/middle school in Charlotte:
- CHARLOTTE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 46, Location: 1006 AYERS JUNCTION ROAD, Grades: PK-8)
Notable locations in Charlotte: Gilman Dam (A), Charlotte Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: James Pond (A), Ledge Pond (B), Round Lake (C), Coleback Lake (D), Pennamaquan River Reservoir (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Taylor Brook (A), Ohio Brook (B), Harrison Brook (C), Moosehorn Brook (D), Rocky Meadow Brook (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Charlotte: Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 42.3. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 28.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 10.1 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Charlotte town (based on Washington County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||4.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||1.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||9.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
4.44% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,571 average adjusted gross income)
0.14% of residents moved from foreign countries ($798 average AGI)
Washington County: 0.14% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.56% ($25,985 average AGI)|
|from Hancock County, ME||0.38% ($33,364)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.29% ($38,176)|
4.37% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,225 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Charlotte:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Charlotte:
- WMED (89.7 FM; CALAIS, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCRQ (102.9 FM; DENNYSVILLE, ME; Owner: WQDY, INC.)
- WQDY-FM (92.7 FM; CALAIS, ME; Owner: WQDY, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WSHD (91.7 FM; EASTPORT, ME; Owner: SHEAD MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL)
TV broadcast stations around Charlotte:
- WMED-TV (Channel 13; CALAIS, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- W57AQ (Channel 57; CALAIS, ME; Owner: PACIFIC AND SOUTHERN COMPANY, INC.)
- W61AO (Channel 61; CALAIS, ME; Owner: COMMUNITY BROADCASTING SERVICE)
- W21BH (Channel 21; MACHIAS, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Charlotte fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- $270,000Total costs
- 1,002Total average daily traffic
- 72Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,503Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: N1VYS, Licensee ID: L01045409, Grant Date: 07/27/2005, Expiration Date: 10/16/2015, Certifier: Rod B Roderick, Registrant: Rod B Roderick, Rr1 Box 368e, Charlotte, ME 04666
- Call Sign: WA1DXO, Licensee ID: L00244822, Grant Date: 01/30/2015, Expiration Date: 02/01/2025, Certifier: Kenneth W Carter, Registrant: Kenneth W Carter, 49 Smith Ridge Rd, Charlotte, ME 04666
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: PIPER J3C-65 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 67 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR A&C65 SERIES (65 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 70973 , Serial Number: 17998, Airworthiness Date: 01/30/1991
Registrant (Individual): Mark Small, 269 Smith Ridge Rd, Charlotte, ME 04666
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
- Good Intent Call: 3
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (83%)
- Wood (12%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Electricity (2%)
Charlotte compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.