Chase City, Virginia
Chase City: Cloister and Fountain at McCallum More Museum and Gardens
Chase City: chase city elementary sign
Chase City: chase city elementary sign
Chase City: Just Cruising
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||42.5 years|
|Virginia median age:||37.6 years|
Zip codes: 23924.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $16,528 (it was $13,559 in 2000)
Chase City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $83,256 (it was $54,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $87,834; Detached houses: $92,730; Mobile homes: $29,100
Median gross rent in 2013: $590.
Races in Chase City, VA (2010)
- 1,12547.9%White alone
- 1,11547.4%Black alone
- 522.2%Two or more races
- 180.8%Asian alone
- 40.2%American Indian alone
- 40.2%Other race alone
|Worst Cities/Areas of VA (160 replies)|
|Retire to...South Boston? Kenbridge? Lynchburg? Clarksville ? (48 replies)|
|Worst county in Virginia *drum roll* (51 replies)|
|Mecklenburg Virginia Events 2016 (3 replies)|
|Younger (late 50s) retiree wants small farm... WHERE?? (36 replies)|
|Good places to eat & drink in the South Boston/Chase City/Keysville/Clarksville area? (3 replies)|
Latest news from Chase City, VA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (12.1%), United States (11.2%), Irish (6.0%), Polish (2.7%), German (2.2%), Scotch-Irish (2.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1873
Elevation: 546 feet
Land area: 2.19 square miles.
Population density: 1,051 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Chase City:
- High school or higher: 73.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 13.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Chase City town:
- Never married: 29.7%
- Now married: 41.5%
- Separated: 8.3%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 12.5%
56 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Virginia and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Chase City, Virginia as of June 26, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Chase City to the number of sex offenders is 467 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $549 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $596 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lynchburg, VA (57.3 miles , pop. 65,269).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Raleigh, NC (68.6 miles , pop. 276,093).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (285.0 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Thynedale, VA (1.3 miles) , Boydton, VA (3.1 miles ), Baskerville, VA (3.6 miles) , Clarksville, VA (3.7 miles ), Union Level, VA (3.7 miles) , Clover, VA (3.9 miles ), Drakes Branch, VA (3.9 miles ), Lunenburg, VA (3.9 miles) .
Latitude: 36.80 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Area code: 434
|Crime rates in Chase City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 287.5)||305.9||312.5||207.1||266.7||196.8||204.4||219.0||183.2||292.2||359.6||194.3||236.5||243.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Chase City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.88|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Manufacturing (13%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (25%)
- Manufacturing (19%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Utilities (5%)
- Transportation occupations (13%)
- Production occupations (12%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Material moving occupations (10%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (9%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (6%)
- Production occupations (20%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (17%)
- Healthcare support occupations (15%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Community and social service occupations (5%)
Average climate in Chase City, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Chase City-area historical tornado activity is near Virginia state average. It is 33% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/24/1969, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 22.1 miles away from the Chase City town center killed one person and injured 4 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 8/29/1988, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 2.1 miles away from the town center injured one person and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Chase City-area historical earthquake activity is near Virginia state average. It is 85% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/9/2003 at 20:59:14, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, 4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 62.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/21/1998 at 05:56:47, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.3 LG, Depth: 8.3 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 40.6 miles away from Chase City center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 316.1 miles away from the city center
On 5/5/2003 at 16:32:32, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 69.5 miles away from the city center
On 3/15/1991 at 06:54:08, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 10.9 mi) earthquake occurred 72.0 miles away from Chase City center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 340.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Mecklenburg County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 4, Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Droughts: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Joseph R. Inge - General, John Christopher Draper - Chemist, Rufus Meadows - Baseball player.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Chase City: Earl D. Gregory.
Hospitals and medical centers in Chase City:
airports located in Chase City:
- Chase City Municipal Airport (CXE) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 2,000, Local Ops: 600)
- Hazelswart Airport (1VA8) (Runways: 1)
- Twin Towers Airport (VA25) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Chase City:
- Southside Virginia Community College (about 31 miles; Alberta, VA; Full-time enrollment: 3,716)
- Vance-Granville Community College (about 33 miles; Henderson, NC; FT enrollment: 3,232)
- Longwood University (about 35 miles; Farmville, VA; FT enrollment: 4,565)
- Danville Community College (about 55 miles; Danville, VA; FT enrollment: 2,747)
- Liberty University (about 56 miles; Lynchburg, VA; FT enrollment: 61,625)
- Central Virginia Community College (about 56 miles; Lynchburg, VA; FT enrollment: 2,759)
- Lynchburg College (about 58 miles; Lynchburg, VA; FT enrollment: 2,456)
Public elementary/middle school in Chase City:
- CHASE CITY ELEM (Students: 530, Location: 5450 HIGHWAY FORTY-SEVEN, Grades: PK-5)
Notable locations in Chase City: South Central Fairgrounds (A), Fire Station Number 1 (B), Butler Memorial Library (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Chase City include: Bethlehem Baptist Church (A), Centenary United Methodist Church (B), Chase City Presbyterian Church (C), First Baptist Church of Chase City (D), First Christian Church (E), Saint Johns Episcopal Church (F), Silone Baptist Church (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Bethlehem Cemetery (1), Woodlawn Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: MacCallum More Gardens (Museums; 603 Hudgins St).
(25.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 31.0% for Black residents, 77.8% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Banks with branches in Chase City (2011 data):
- Wells Fargo Bank, National Association: Chase City Branch at 525 North Main Street, branch established on 1966/12/12. Info updated 2011/04/05: Bank assets: $1,161,490.0 mil, Deposits: $905,653.0 mil, headquarters in Sioux Falls, SD, positive income, 6395 total offices, Holding Company: Wells Fargo & Company
- First-Citizens Bank & Trust Company: Chase City Branch at 242 North Main Street, branch established on 1976/06/24. Info updated 2011/10/11: Bank assets: $20,566.4 mil, Deposits: $17,596.8 mil, headquarters in Raleigh, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 433 total offices, Holding Company: First Citizens Bancshares, Inc.
- Benchmark Community Bank: Chase City Branch at 845 East Second Street, branch established on 2000/01/07. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $416.1 mil, Deposits: $370.1 mil, headquarters in Kenbridge, VA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 13 total offices, Holding Company: Benchmark Bankshares, Inc.
- Carter Bank & Trust: Chase City Branch at 749 East 2nd Street, branch established on 1988/09/30. Info updated 2007/02/23: Bank assets: $3,970.4 mil, Deposits: $3,610.0 mil, headquarters in Martinsville, VA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 123 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Chase City town (based on Mecklenburg County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Mecklenburg County:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mecklenburg County:||0.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||1.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mecklenburg County:||11.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.65 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Chase City, VA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$4,883||$58,596||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||9||$30,120||$40,160||0||$0|
|Police - Other||2||$6,323||$37,938||2||$1,044|
|Streets and Highways||4||$10,917||$32,751||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||3||$7,508||$30,032||2||$2,410|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$15,221||$60,884||2||$3,559|
|Totals for Government||32||$102,053||$38,270||8||$7,905|
4.84% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($39,341 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Brunswick County, VA||0.69% ($26,038 average AGI)|
|from Lunenburg County, VA||0.23% ($24,115)|
|from Halifax County, VA||0.21% ($37,458)|
4.99% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,678 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Chase City:
- WMEK (980 AM; daytime; 1 kW; CHASE CITY, VA; Owner: WEST MECKLENBURG BROADCASTING)
- WFTK (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; WAKE FOREST, NC; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WPTF (680 AM; 50 kW; RALEIGH, NC; Owner: FIRST STATE COMMUNICATIONS)
- WSHV (1370 AM; daytime; 4 kW; SOUTH HILL, VA; Owner: OLD BELT BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRVA (1140 AM; 50 kW; RICHMOND, VA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSVS (800 AM; 5 kW; CREWE, VA; Owner: COLONIAL BROADCASTING OF CREWE, INC.)
- WTAR (850 AM; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: SINCLAIR COMMUNICATIONS)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDZY (1290 AM; 25 kW; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, VA; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WKLV (1440 AM; 5 kW; BLACKSTONE, VA; Owner: DENBAR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCKO (1110 AM; daytime; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: WORD BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WRJR (670 AM; 20 kW; CLAREMONT, VA; Owner: CHESAPEAKE-PORTSMOUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WETC (540 AM; 8 kW; WENDELL-ZEBULON, NC; Owner: CAROLINA REGIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Chase City:
- WFXQ (99.9 FM; CHASE CITY, VA; Owner: JOYNER RADIO, INC.)
- WKJS (104.7 FM; CREWE, VA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WQOK (97.5 FM; SOUTH BOSTON, VA; Owner: RADIO ONE LICENSES, LLC)
- WZZU (97.9 FM; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: TRAVIS MEDIA L.L.C.)
- WKSK-FM (98.9 FM; SOUTH HILL, VA; Owner: OLD BELT BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WYFL (92.5 FM; HENDERSON, NC; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WICE (98.3 FM; CLARKSVILLE, VA; Owner: JOYNER RADIO, INC.)
- WHLF-FM (95.3 FM; SOUTH BOSTON, VA; Owner: JLC PROPERTIES, INC)
- WSMY-FM (103.1 FM; ALBERTA, VA; Owner: MAINQUAD BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Chase City:
- WWAY (Channel 3; WILMINGTON, NC; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WRPX (Channel 47; ROCKY MOUNT, NC; Owner: PAXSON RALEIGH LICENSE, INC.)
- WERI-LP (Channel 39; KEYSVILLE, VA; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W65CN (Channel 65; CHASE CITY, VA; Owner: TV BROADCASTERS OF CENTRAL VIRGINIA)
- W34AX (Channel 34; HENDERSON, NC; Owner: TIME WARNER ENTERTAINMENT)
- WSVL-LP (Channel 48; KEYSVILLE, ETC., VA; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W79AT (Channel 79; CHASE CITY, ETC., VA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
Chase City fatal accident list:
Jul 14, 1988 02:29 PM, 49, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 29m95ftTotal length
- $3,080,000Total costs
- 48,224Total average daily traffic
- 918Total average daily truck traffic
- 113,320Total future (year 2017) average daily traffic
Drinking water stations with addresses in Chase City and their reported violations in the past:CHASE CITY,TOWN OF (Population served: 2,242, Purch surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In MAY-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-27-2008), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-27-2008), St Public Notif received (JUN-25-2008), St Compliance achieved (JUN-25-2008)
- Lead Consumer Notice - In APR-01-2013, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (AUG-14-2013), St Public Notif requested (AUG-19-2013), St Formal NOV issued (AUG-19-2013), St Public Notif received (SEP-06-2013)
- Lead Consumer Notice - In OCT-09-2011, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (DEC-16-2011), St Public Notif requested (DEC-22-2011), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-22-2011), St Public Notif received (JAN-10-2012)
- Water Quality Parameter M/R - Between JAN-2009 and JUN-2009, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-17-2009), St Formal NOV issued (SEP-17-2009), St Compliance achieved (OCT-15-2009), St Public Notif received (JUN-23-2010)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2008, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-16-2008), St Formal NOV issued (OCT-16-2008), St Compliance achieved (APR-14-2009), St Public Notif received (AUG-14-2009)
- Water Quality Parameter M/R - Between JUL-2008 and DEC-2008, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (JAN-15-2009), St Public Notif requested (JAN-30-2009), St Formal NOV issued (JAN-30-2009), St Public Notif received (AUG-14-2009)
- 5 routine major monitoring violations
- 2 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 95
- Hazardous Condition: 63
- Service Call: 1
- Good Intent Call: 8
Incident types - Chase City
|Most common first names in Chase City, VA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Chase City, VA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (51%)
- Utility gas (17%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (15%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (10%)
- Wood (6%)
|Businesses in Chase City, VA|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Hardee's||1|
Chase City compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.