Chelsea: Winter Break! Public School, Chelsea, VT
Chelsea: Gilman Farm, Chelsea, VT
Chelsea: Chelsea VT Main Street
Chelsea: Dixie's Restaurant - good old fashioned comfort food!
Chelsea: Chelsea Courthouse Common
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||47.8 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05038.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $23,458 (it was $16,164 in 2000)
Chelsea town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $178,036 (it was $94,800 in 2000)
Races in Chelsea, VT (2010)
- 1,17995.2%White alone
- 282.3%Two or more races
- 80.6%Black alone
- 20.2%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
|Vermont Made Beers-Here's Your Thread :) (526 replies)|
|Vermont Rail Ideas (125 replies)|
|Vermont Weather (2981 replies)|
|Official Vermont Picture Thread (885 replies)|
|SEVERE WEATHER possible this evening!! (56 replies)|
|Mexican Food In Vermont (16 replies)|
Latest news from Chelsea, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (34.3%), French (15.2%), Irish (14.9%), United States (8.6%), German (6.0%), Italian (4.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 820 feet
Land area: 39.9 square miles.
Population density: 31 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Chelsea:
- High school or higher: 82.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.1%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Chelsea town:
- Never married: 21.4%
- Now married: 54.2%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 11.7%
- Divorced: 10.7%
19 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Chelsea town:||1.6% ($1,508)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (86.0 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (134.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (229.0 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Tunbridge, VT (2.5 miles ), Washington, VT (2.6 miles ), Brookfield, VT (2.7 miles ), Vershire, VT (2.8 miles ), Randolph, VT (2.9 miles ), Strafford, VT (3.0 miles ), Williamstown, VT (3.1 miles ), Corinth, VT (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 43.99 N, Longitude: 72.46 W
Area code: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (20%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Metal and metal products (9%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Transportation equipment (4%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Health care (12%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
Average climate in Chelsea, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Chelsea-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Vermont state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/11/1966, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 18.1 miles away from the Chelsea town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/11/1973, a category F2 tornado 38.7 miles away from the town center .
Earthquake activity:Chelsea-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 71.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 93.6 miles away from Chelsea center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 54.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 70.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 34.1 miles away from Chelsea center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 89.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Orange County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Heavy Rain: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: F. Ray Keyser, Jr. - Politician, Napoleon B. McLaughlen - General, John Young (governor) - Politician, William Freeman Vilas - (1840-1908).
Hospitals and medical centers near Chelsea:
- GIFFORD ELDERLY CARE INC (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; RANDOLPH, VT)
- GIFFORD MEDICAL CENTER Critical Access Hospitals (about 12 miles away; RANDOLPH, VT)
- MENIG EXTENDED CARE (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; RANDOLPH, VT)
- HILL ICF/MR (Hospital, about 15 miles away; BARRE, VT)
- ROWAN COURT HEALTH AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; BARRE, VT)
- MAYO HEALTHCARE INC. (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; NORTHFIELD, VT)
Amtrak stations near Chelsea:
- 12 miles: RANDOLPH (DEPOT SQ.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, public transit connection.
- 20 miles: MONTPELIER-BARRE (MONTPELIER, MONTPELIER JCT. RD.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Chelsea:
- Norwich University (about 15 miles; Northfield, VT; Full-time enrollment: 4,221)
- Dartmouth College (about 22 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Middlebury College (about 36 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- Plymouth State University (about 42 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- Castleton State College (about 45 miles; Castleton, VT; FT enrollment: 2,079)
- Saint Michael's College (about 50 miles; Colchester, VT; FT enrollment: 2,336)
- Champlain College (about 50 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
Public high school in Chelsea:
- CHELSEA ELEMENTARY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 207, Location: 6 SCHOOL STREET, Grades: PK-12)
Private elementary/middle schools in Chelsea:
Notable locations in Chelsea: Chelsea Public Library (A), Alden Speare Memorial Library (B), Orange County Courthouse (C), Chelsea Volunteer Fire Department (D), First Branch Ambulance (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Chelsea include: Independent Gospel Church (A), West Hill Baptist Church (B), Congregational Church of Chelsea (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Wills Cemetery (1), West Hill Cemetery (2), Wallace Cemetery (3), Spiller Cemetery (4), Spear Cemetery (5), Old Chelsea Cemetery (6), Noyes Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Jones Pond (A), Keyser Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Jenkins Brook (A), Jail Brook (B), Beaver Meadow Brook (C), Cram Brook (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Chelsea: Chelsea Historic District (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Court: Vermont State - Superior Courts- Family Courts- District Courts- Small Claims Court- Co (5 Court Street) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 81.0. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2000 was 26.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 23.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 17.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 11.2. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 14.5 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
8 people in residential treatment centers for juveniles (non-correctional) in 2010
People in group quarters in Chelsea in 2000:
- 34 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 10 people in nursing homes
- 8 people in residential treatment centers for emotionally disturbed children
- 3 people in other group homes
Banks with branches in Chelsea (2011 data):
- Mascoma Savings Bank: Main & Vershire Branch at 292 Vt Route 110, branch established on 1933/08/23. Info updated 2011/07/21: Bank assets: $990.7 mil, Deposits: $719.7 mil, headquarters in Lebanon, NH, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 18 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Chelsea town (based on Orange County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Orange County:||2.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Orange County:||1.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Orange County:||7.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
6.24% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,737 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Washington County, VT||1.42% ($29,382 average AGI)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.99% ($32,300)|
|from Grafton County, NH||0.70% ($32,424)|
6.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,548 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Chelsea:
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWWT (1320 AM; 1 kW; RANDOLPH, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSNO (1450 AM; 1 kW; BARRE, VT; Owner: VOX VERMONT, L.L.C)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Chelsea:
- WCVR-FM (102.1 FM; RANDOLPH, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCMD (89.9 FM; BARRE, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRJT (103.1 FM; ROYALTON, VT; Owner: LISBON COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEVH (91.3 FM; HANOVER, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO INC)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJEN (94.5 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Chelsea:
- W15BK (Channel 15; HANOVER, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WBVT-LP (Channel 39; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: NYN, LLC)
Chelsea fatal accident list:
Nov 21, 1998 01:40 AM, Sr-110, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Oct 24, 1996 87:99 PM, Vt 110, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Dec 12, 1992 05:00 PM, Vt110, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
Dec 7, 1981 01:50 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 14Number of bridges
- 16m52ftTotal length
- $2,933,000Total costs
- 10,099Total average daily traffic
- 629Total average daily truck traffic
- 14,318Total future (year 2018) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1Before 1900
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- Lat: 43.990333 Lon: -72.451500, Call Sign: WNMQ295
Assigned Frequencies: 460.450 MHz, 465.450 MHz, 460.200 MHz, 465.200 MHzGrant Date: 11/19/2011, Expiration Date: 02/01/2022, Certifier: Sam FrankRegistrant: Afc Apcos Spectrum Management Div Licensing Services 012114wh, 351 N Williamson Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114-1112, Phone: (386) 944-2463, Fax: (386) 322-2502, Email:
- Jail St (Lat: 43.988667 Lon: -72.441222), Call Sign: WQI237
Assigned Frequencies: 460.275 MHz, 460.450 MHz, 460.500 MHz, 465.025 MHzGrant Date: 03/17/2015, Expiration Date: 05/16/2025Registrant: Apco International, Inc., 351 N Williamson Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114-1112, Phone: (386) 944-2469, Fax: (386) 322-2502, Email:
- BEACON HILL, Beacon Hill (Lat: 43.997556 Lon: -72.466972), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 30.5 m, Overall height: 36.6 m, Call Sign: WQCV633
Assigned Frequencies: 453.412 MHzGrant Date: 03/17/2015, Expiration Date: 06/06/2025, Certifier: Dennis McclureRegistrant: Apco International, Inc., 351 N Williamson Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL 32114, Phone: (386) 944-2469, Fax: (386) 322-2502, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- Chelsea-02, 16 Windswept Lane (Lat: 43.997056 Lon: -72.467222), Type: Pole, Structure height: 27.4 m, Call Sign: WQVY605
Assigned Frequencies: 11545.0 MHz, 11585.0 MHz, 11545.0 MHz, 11585.0 MHz, 11545.0 MHz, 11585.0 MHz, 11545.0 MHz, 11585.0 MHz, 11545.0 MHz, 11585.0 MHz... (+18 more)Grant Date: 06/16/2015, Expiration Date: 06/16/2025, Certifier: Fran StockerRegistrant: Radyn, Inc, Silver Spring, MD 20914, Phone: (301) 493-5171, Fax: (301) 576-4553, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: N1VLL, Licensee ID: L01003715, Grant Date: 04/13/2005, Expiration Date: 06/27/2015, Certifier: Rhoda S Boyce, Registrant: Rhoda S Boyce, 215 Bobbin Shop Rd, Chelsea, VT 05038
- Call Sign: N1ZJA, Grant Date: 06/02/1997, Expiration Date: 06/02/2007, Cancellation Date: 06/03/2009, Registrant: Dale E Williams, Rr 1 Box 120a, Chelsea, VT 05038
- Call Sign: W1ZCJ, Licensee ID: L01002201, Grant Date: 04/08/2005, Expiration Date: 05/25/2015, Certifier: Robert S Boyce, Registrant: Robert S Boyce, 215 Bobbinshop Rd, Chelsea, VT 05038-8949
- Call Sign: KB1QAX, Licensee ID: L01376777, Grant Date: 03/06/2008, Expiration Date: 03/06/2018, Certifier: Randall O Edwards, Registrant: Randall O Edwards, 275 Williamstown Rd, Chelsea, VT 05038-8945
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: BUCKEYE AVIATION DM 582 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 582DCDI (65 HP) (2 Cycle)
N-Number: 612DD , Serial Number: 3201, Year manufactured: 1994, Airworthiness Date: 06/01/2007
Registrant (Individual): John R Fraser, 157 Vt Rte 110, Chelsea, VT 05038
- Aircraft: CESSNA 140 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C85 SERIES (85 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 89898 , Serial Number: 8943, Year manufactured: 1946, Airworthiness Date: 10/29/1955
Registrant (Individual): Blake H Thomsen, Po Box 287, Chelsea, VT 05038
Drinking water stations with addresses in Chelsea and their reported violations in the past:CHELSEA WATER SYSTEM (Population served: 450, Groundwater):
Past health violations:HEB MANUFACTURING CO (Population served: 45, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In DEC-2007, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (DEC-12-2007), St Public Notif requested (DEC-12-2007), St Public Notif received (DEC-26-2007), St Compliance achieved (SEP-25-2009)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2005, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Tech Assistance Visit (OCT-07-2005), St Boil Water Order (OCT-07-2005), St Formal NOV issued (OCT-07-2005), St Public Notif requested (OCT-07-2005), St Public Notif received (OCT-18-2005), St Compliance achieved (JAN-29-2010)
- One minor monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 11
- Hazardous Condition: 12
Incident types - Chelsea
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (49%)
- Wood (35%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (16%)
Chelsea compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Chelsea on our top lists:
- #38 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in residential treatment centers for emotionally disturbed children (population 1,000+)"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other noninstitutional group quarters (population 1,000+)"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that keep firearms around their homes"
- #29 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that smoked 100+ cigarettes in their lives"
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the best general health status score of residents (1-5), 3 years of data"
- #74 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents that visited a dentist within the past year"
- #77 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest average weight of females"
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2016.