Chester: One of Four Welcome Signs
Chester: Popeye Statue greeting those who cross the Mississippi River Bridge
Chester: Mississippi River Bridge at Chester, IL
Chester: Popeye Statue at Segar Park (Near Mississippi River bridge)
Chester: One of Four Welcome Signs to City of Chester
Chester: Our son Zach Heldebrandt is trying to get donations to build an indoor animal shelter for Chester as his Eagle Scout program. He has collected $3000 which is a good start he needs $50,000 or material donations if you can advertise this donations can be made to Chester National Bank 1112 State St Chester IL 62233 618-826-5038 or on line at chesteranimalshelter.chipin.com
Chester: The Mighty Mississippi from the Court House
Chester: The Stars and Stripes/Court House
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||38.8 years|
|Illinois median age:||37.7 years|
Zip codes: 62233.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $14,721 (it was $22,190 in 2000)
Chester city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $89,320 (it was $59,200 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2015: $634.
Races in Chester, IL (2015)
- 5,90368.8%White alone
- 2,13624.9%Black alone
- 550.6%Two or more races
- 150.2%American Indian alone
- 200.2%Asian alone
|Would a declining population create a stronger Chicago? (219 replies)|
|Why is the Chicago "Blaccent" More Southern than Boston/NYC/Philly's? (298 replies)|
|Rauner's campaign run out of California? (49 replies)|
|Chicago Burbs Relocation Advice Needed (23 replies)|
|Which Chicago suburb has the most Polish people? (12 replies)|
|What city does Chicago consider its biggest sports rival? (31 replies)|
Latest news from Chester, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (22.3%), American (10.4%), Irish (5.1%), English (2.6%), French (2.3%), Polish (1.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 07/14/1873
Elevation: 670 feet
Land area: 5.89 square miles.
Population density: 1,429 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Chester:
- High school or higher: 70.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Chester city:
- Never married: 45.5%
- Now married: 33.8%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 11.8%
158 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 15 registered sex offenders living in Chester, Illinois as of June 26, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Chester to the number of sex offenders is 565 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,542 (1.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $1,551 (1.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: St. Louis, MO (54.4 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (294.4 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Kaskaskia, IL (2.3 miles) , Lithium, MO (2.6 miles) , St. Mary, MO (2.7 miles ), Ellis Grove, IL (2.9 miles ), Rockwood, IL (2.9 miles) , Brewer, MO (3.3 miles ), Steeleville, IL (3.3 miles ), Ozora, MO (3.5 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $113,200
- 1998: 6 buildings, average cost: $95,300
- 1999: 6 buildings, average cost: $167,100
- 2000: 9 buildings, average cost: $109,000
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $129,300
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $175,600
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $131,500
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $130,000
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $38,400
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $115,500
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $200,000
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $265,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $55,000
- 2010: 5 buildings, average cost: $79,200
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $89,500
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $140,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 37.91 N, Longitude: 89.82 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,743 (+20.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,172 (52.8%)
Area code: 618
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||0.95|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
- Manufacturing (34%)
- Construction (16%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (35%)
- Manufacturing (26%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Transportation and warehousing (3%)
- Other services, except public administration (3%)
- Production occupations (26%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (16%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (5%)
- Production occupations (12%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (12%)
- Health technologists and technicians (11%)
- Personal care and service occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (9%)
- Material moving occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (7%)
Average climate in Chester, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Chester-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 92% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/18/1957, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 33.3 miles away from the Chester city center killed one person and injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 9/22/2006, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 16.2 miles away from the city center injured 5 people and caused $7 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Chester-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 74% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 111.7 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 54.0 miles away from Chester center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 93.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 122.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 111.5 miles away from Chester center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 114.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Randolph County (14) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 12, Tornadoes: 5, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: E. C. Segar - Cartoonist, Tom Wham - Game designer and artist.
Hospitals and medical centers in Chester:
Heliports located in Chester:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Chester:
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (about 36 miles; Carbondale, IL; Full-time enrollment: 14,539)
- Mineral Area College (about 37 miles; Park Hills, MO; FT enrollment: 2,837)
- John A Logan College (about 42 miles; Carterville, IL; FT enrollment: 3,995)
- Southwestern Illinois College (about 43 miles; Belleville, IL; FT enrollment: 9,085)
- Southeast Missouri State University (about 45 miles; Cape Girardeau, MO; FT enrollment: 9,678)
- Jefferson College (about 47 miles; Hillsboro, MO; FT enrollment: 3,975)
- McKendree University (about 49 miles; Lebanon, IL; FT enrollment: 2,564)
Public high school in Chester:
- CHESTER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 345, Location: 1901 SWANWICK ST, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Chester:
- CHESTER ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 634, Location: 650 OPDYKE ST, Grades: PK-8)
Private elementary/middle schools in Chester:
Library in Chester:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Chester is the "Home of Popeye." There is a popeye statue near the bridge across the Mississippi River to Missouri.
Notable locations in Chester: Menard Correctional Center (A), Chester Public Library (B), Randolph County Courthouse (C), Randolph County Jail (D), Saint Anns Home (E), MedStar Ambulance (F), Chester Fire Department (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Chester include: First Apostolic Pentecostal Church (A), First Baptist Church (B), First Presbyterian Church (C), First United Methodist Church (D), Saint Johns Evangelical Lutheran Church (E), Saint Marys Roman Catholic Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Saint Marys Cemetery (1), Evergreen Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Wardens Pond (A), Birchlers Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Chester: Cole Memorial Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotels: Hi-3 Motel (8 Units Route 3 North), Best Western Reids Inn (2150 State Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 64.0. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.699. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 31.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.78. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.0 miles away from the city center.
(18.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 31.7% for Black residents, 69.8% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 27.8% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
People in group quarters in Chester in 2010:
- 3,571 people in state prisons
- 241 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals and psychiatric units in other hospitals
- 166 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 7 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Chester in 2000:
- 297 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals or wards
- 180 people in nursing homes
- 8 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 6 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 5 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 2 people in wards in general hospitals for patients who have no usual home elsewhere
Banks with branches in Chester (2011 data):
- Buena Vista National Bank: Chester Market Place Branch at 800 Chester Center, branch established on 1999/10/04; at 1309 Swanwick Street, branch established on 1905/01/01. Info updated 2008/06/04: Bank assets: $137.4 mil, Deposits: $112.6 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Buena Vista Bancorp, Inc.
- First Bank: Chester Branch at 2231 State Street, branch established on 1890/01/01. Info updated 2007/12/04: Bank assets: $6,579.8 mil, Deposits: $5,800.6 mil, headquarters in Creve Coeur, MO, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 148 total offices, Holding Company: First Banks, Inc.
- Chester National Bank: at 1112 State Street, branch established on 1919/01/01. Info updated 2011/02/09: Bank assets: $84.9 mil, Deposits: $75.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Chester Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Chester city (based on Randolph County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Randolph County:||2.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Randolph County:||0.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Randolph County:||5.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Chester, IL Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$7,042||$42,252||10||$5,726|
|Police Protection - Officers||8||$38,190||$57,285||8||$4,014|
|Police - Other||3||$10,610||$42,440||7||$3,186|
|Streets and Highways||9||$28,676||$38,235||1||$300|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$8,590||$51,540||15||$6,488|
|Other and Unallocable||2||$6,526||$39,156||1||$806|
|Totals for Government||47||$165,912||$42,361||68||$26,858|
Chester government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $2,355,000 ($279.66)
Regular Highways: $942,000 ($111.86)
Police Protection: $599,000 ($71.13)
Sewerage: $463,000 ($54.98)
Financial Administration: $396,000 ($47.03)
Water Utilities: $389,000 ($46.19)
Parks & Recreation: $196,000 ($23.28)
Libraries: $166,000 ($19.71)
Fire Protection: $124,000 ($14.73)
General - Other: $114,000 ($13.54)
- General - Interest on Debt: $261,000 ($30.99)
- Other Capital Outlay - Water Utilities: $271,000 ($32.18)
Sewerage: $215,000 ($25.53)
Central Staff: $85,000 ($10.09)
Parks & Recreation: $54,000 ($6.41)
General - Other: $44,000 ($5.23)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $2,013,000 ($239.05)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $285,000 ($33.84)
Chester government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $873,000 ($103.67)
All Other: $33,000 ($3.92)
Parks & Recreation: $4,000 ($0.48)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $8,000 ($0.95)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $173,000 ($20.54)
General Revenue, NEC: $158,000 ($18.76)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $2,488,000 ($295.45)
Water Utilities: $1,111,000 ($131.93)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $1,201,000 ($142.62)
Highways: $233,000 ($27.67)
All Other: $117,000 ($13.89)
- Tax - Property: $571,000 ($67.81)
Public Utilities: $286,000 ($33.96)
NEC: $43,000 ($5.11)
Chester government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $4,750,000 ($564.07)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $3,735,000 ($443.53)
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Water Utilities: $2,890,000 ($343.19)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Water Utilities: $2,890,000 ($343.19)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $4,700,000 ($558.13)
Other, NEC: $2,555,000 ($303.41)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $1,180,000 ($140.13)
Water Utilities: $50,000 ($5.94)
Chester government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $6,160,000 ($731.50)
4.24% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($39,429 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from St. Clair County, IL||0.71% ($43,286 average AGI)|
|from Monroe County, IL||0.45% ($32,528)|
|from Perry County, IL||0.40% ($27,957)|
4.89% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,976 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Chester:
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- KSGM (980 AM; 1 kW; CHESTER, IL; Owner: DONZE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCO (1230 AM; 1 kW; SPARTA, IL; Owner: HIRSCH COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING CO.)
- KTRS (550 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: KTRS-AM LICENSE, L.L.C.)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- KRFT (1190 AM; 10 kW; DE SOTO, MO; Owner: ALL SPORTS RADIO, LLC)
- KZIM (960 AM; 5 kW; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: ZIMMER RADIO OF MID-MISSOURI, INC)
- KJSL (630 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: WMUZ RADIO, INC.)
- WMIX (940 AM; 5 kW; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: WITHERS BROADCASTING CO OF ILLINOIS)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
Strongest FM radio stations in Chester:
- KBDZ (93.1 FM; PERRYVILLE, MO; Owner: D/B/A DONZE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCIL-FM (101.5 FM; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: LYLE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WXAN (103.9 FM; AVA, IL; Owner: HAROLD L. LAWDER)
- KPNT (105.7 FM; ST. GENEVIEVE, MO; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KEZS-FM (102.9 FM; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: ZIMMER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KTJJ (98.5 FM; FARMINGTON, MO; Owner: KREI, INC.)
- KGMO (100.7 FM; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WKIB (96.5 FM; ANNA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS)
TV broadcast stations around Chester:
- KFVS-TV (Channel 12; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- KBSI (Channel 23; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Owner: KBSI LICENSEE L.P.)
- WSIU-TV (Channel 8; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 97m318ftTotal length
- 3,125Total average daily traffic
- 127Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Chester)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:62 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:17 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Chester, IL)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Chester)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: DJI PHANTOM 3 PROFESSION (Category: Land, Engines: 4), Engine:
N-Number: 636QT , Serial Number: P78DCI10061058
Registrant (Individual): P Brian P Dba Thomas, 616 Palastine Rd, Chester, IL 62233, Other Owners: Photography Birdseye
Drinking water stations with addresses in Chester and their reported violations in the past:CHESTER (Population served: 8,702, Surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- Treatment Technique (SWTR and GWR) - In MAR-2008. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (APR-02-2008), St Public Notif requested (APR-14-2008), St Violation/Reminder Notice (APR-14-2008), St Public Notif received (APR-15-2008), St BCA signed (APR-18-2008), St Compliance achieved (MAY-08-2008)
- Treatment Technique (SWTR and GWR) - In FEB-2008. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAR-17-2008), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAR-17-2008), St Formal NOV issued (APR-02-2008), St Public Notif received (APR-15-2008), St BCA signed (APR-18-2008), St Compliance achieved (MAY-08-2008)
- Monthly Turbidity Exceed (Enhanced SWTR) - In JAN-2013, Contaminant: IESWTR. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-13-2013), St Violation/Reminder Notice (FEB-13-2013), St Formal NOV issued (FEB-20-2013), St Compliance achieved (MAR-06-2013), St Public Notif received (MAR-25-2013)
- Treatment Technique Precursor Removal - Between JAN-2012 and MAR-2012, Contaminant: CARBON, TOTAL. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (APR-16-2012), St Violation/Reminder Notice (APR-16-2012), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-01-2012), St Public Notif received (MAY-21-2012), St Compliance achieved (JUN-29-2012)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2012 and MAR-2012, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAR-14-2012), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAR-14-2012), St Compliance achieved (MAR-21-2012), St Public Notif received (MAY-21-2012)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between APR-2011 and JUN-2011, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-15-2011), St Compliance achieved (JUL-18-2011)
- One minor monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 9
- Hazardous Condition: 6
- Service Call: 2
Incident types - Chester
|Most common first names in Chester, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Chester, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (60%)
- Electricity (33%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Wood (1%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
|Businesses in Chester, IL|
|H&R Block||1||True Value||1|
Chester compared to Illinois state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Chester on our top lists:
- #6 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals or wards (population 1,000+)"
- #36 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in industries: Manufacturing (population 5,000+)"
- #45 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Material moving occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #47 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest positive percentage difference between never married males and females (15+ years) (with at least 1,000 males never married)"
- #51 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the smallest percentage of likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households) (population 5,000+)"
- #100 on the list of "Top 100 cities with the largest percentage of males"
- #83 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Sulfur Oxides Annual air pollution readings in 2012 (µg/m3)"
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2017.