We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||44.9 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04457.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $20,430 (it was $14,600 in 2000)
Chester town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $115,129 (it was $67,000 in 2000)
Races in Chester, ME (2010)
- 53898.5%White alone
- 40.7%Two or more races
- 20.4%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Another look at gender equality in the U.S. Oct 27
- Online travel agencies generate most of their revenue in the United States Oct 25
- In Which States are Businesses Most Dependent on International Demand? Oct 22
- The most comfortable places to live in the U.S. Oct 21
- Fast food industry is an enduring American value Oct 19
|Why do people think I'm nuts for wanting to move to Aroostook county? (45 replies)|
|A Bunch of Subversives in Central Maine (62 replies)|
|Retiring/"Second Act"--need add'l moving to Maine info! (20 replies)|
|Odds of Stillwater River freezing over this winter? (6 replies)|
|Thieves (79 replies)|
|Town in Maine that's like the Jesse Stone movies? (13 replies)|
Latest news from Chester, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (24.2%), English (18.7%), Irish (13.5%), French (7.8%), German (5.3%), Scottish (4.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 02/26/1834
Elevation: 257 feet
Land area: 44.3 square miles.
Population density: 12 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Chester:
- High school or higher: 78.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 5.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Chester town:
- Never married: 25.5%
- Now married: 56.0%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 8.6%
- Divorced: 8.3%
6 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Chester, Maine as of October 27, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Chester to the number of sex offenders is 507 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Chester town:||0.5% ($317)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (148.9 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (249.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (415.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Lincoln, ME (2.0 miles ), Woodville, ME (2.6 miles ), Winn, ME (3.1 miles ), Enfield, ME (3.3 miles ), Burlington, ME (3.4 miles ), Mattawamkeag, ME (3.5 miles ), Lee, ME (3.5 miles ), Medway, ME (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 45.42 N, Longitude: 68.52 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Paper (28%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (19%)
- Construction (11%)
- Wood products (9%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (3%)
- Health care (3%)
- Health care (25%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Food and beverage stores (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (5%)
- Other direct selling establishments (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (9%)
- Woodworkers (7%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
- Cashiers (12%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
Average climate in Chester, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Chester-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 76.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 262.4 miles away from Chester center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 303.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 201.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 16.5 miles away from Chester center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 17.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Penobscot County (17) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 7, Snows: 5, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Chester:
- University of Maine (about 38 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 43 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 95 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 98 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 147 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 149 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 150 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Cemeteries: North Chester Cemetery (1), Middle Chester Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Swamps: Eighteen Bog (A), Keene Bog (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Trout Brook (A), Savage Brook (B), Sargent Brook (C), Raketail Brook (D), Eleven Brook (E), Ebhorse Stream (F), Nine Meadow Brook (G), Bog Brook (H), Blood Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Chester town (based on Penobscot County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Penobscot County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Penobscot County:||2.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Penobscot County:||5.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
4.81% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,478 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($304 average AGI)
Penobscot County: 0.04% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hancock County, ME||0.44% ($29,886 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.34% ($36,835)|
|from Aroostook County, ME||0.32% ($29,433)|
5.52% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,804 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved to foreign countries ($387 average AGI)
Penobscot County: 0.03% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Chester:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSYY (1240 AM; 1 kW; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Chester:
- WHMX (105.7 FM; LINCOLN, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WSYY-FM (94.9 FM; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBZN (107.3 FM; OLD TOWN, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Chester:
- W34CN (Channel 34; MEDWAY, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 25m82ftTotal length
- $855,000Total costs
- 4,533Total average daily traffic
- 344Total average daily truck traffic
- 6,581Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:4
- STATION, Old Keene Rd 1/4 Mi From Jct Of State Rt 116 (Lat: 45.397278 Lon: -68.523333), Overall height: 24.4 m, Call Sign: WNTB681
Assigned Frequencies: 6645.00 MHzGrant Date: 01/12/2011, Expiration Date: 03/29/2021, Cancellation Date: 04/14/2015Registrant: Central Maine Power, 57 Old Winthrop Road, Augusta, ME 04330, Phone: (207) 626-9427, Fax: (207) 626-9484
- CHESTER SUB, Chester Road (Lat: 45.396944 Lon: -68.528056), Type: Tower, Structure height: 21.9 m, Call Sign: WQKN855
Assigned Frequencies: 6615.00 MHzGrant Date: 07/28/2009, Expiration Date: 07/28/2019, Certifier: John DoyonRegistrant: Emera Maine, 970 Illinois Avenue, Bangor, ME 04402-0932, Phone: (207) 973-2854, Fax: (207) 973-2980, Email:
- CHESTER SUB, Chester Road (Lat: 45.396944 Lon: -68.528056), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 21.9 m, Call Sign: WQUC220
Assigned Frequencies: 6595.00 MHzGrant Date: 06/02/2014, Expiration Date: 06/02/2024, Cancellation Date: 06/12/2014, Certifier: Daniel J CassidyRegistrant: Shulman Rogers Gandal Pordy & Ecker, P.A., 12505 Park Potomac Ave., 6th Flr, Potomac, MD 20854, Phone: (301) 255-0553, Fax: (301) 230-2891, Email:
- CHESTER SUB, Chester Road (Lat: 45.396944 Lon: -68.528056), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 21.9 m, Call Sign: WQUF983
Assigned Frequencies: 6595.00 MHzGrant Date: 06/26/2014, Expiration Date: 06/26/2024, Certifier: Alan StevensRegistrant: Shulman Rogers Gandal Pordy & Ecker, 12505 Park Potomac Ave., 6th Flr, Potomac, MD 20854, Phone: (301) 255-0553, Fax: (301) 230-2891
FAA Registered Aircraft:4
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-18-135 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 97 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 1559P , Serial Number: 18-3716, Year manufactured: 1954, Airworthiness Date: 08/07/1996
Registrant (Individual): Gregory A Richard, 168 Pea Ridge Rd, Chester, ME 04457
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-22 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 94 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-290 SERIES (140 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 1672A , Serial Number: 22-434, Year manufactured: 1952, Airworthiness Date: 10/18/1956
Registrant (Individual): Matthew G Legassey, 93 Loop Rd, Chester, ME 04457
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172P (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 24LT , Serial Number: 17275466, Year manufactured: 1981, Airworthiness Date: 11/25/1981
Registrant (Co-Owned): Gregory A Richard, 168 Pea Ridge Rd, Chester, ME 04457, Other Owners: Arlette E Richard
- Aircraft: JACKSON JOSEPH R WAG AERO 2+2 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 4376G , Serial Number: 42733, Year manufactured: 2000, Airworthiness Date: 10/03/2000
Registrant (Individual): Matthew G Legassey, 93 Loop Rd, Chester, ME 04457
Drinking water stations with addresses in Chester and their reported violations in the past:V A CLINIC (Population served: 50, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2010, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-05-2010), St Formal NOV issued (NOV-05-2010), St Compliance achieved (DEC-01-2010), St Public Notif received (DEC-01-2010)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In APR-2007, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (APR-26-2007), St Violation/Reminder Notice (APR-26-2007), St Public Notif received (2 times from MAY-18-2007 to MAY-18-2007), St Compliance achieved (OCT-19-2007)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (76%)
- Wood (19%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Electricity (1%)
Chester compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.