|Median resident age:||32.3 years|
|Texas median age:||30.8 years|
Zip codes: 79201.
Childress city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $48,955 (it was $43,700 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $598.
- White alone - 3,468 (56.8%)
- Hispanic - 1,822 (29.8%)
- Black alone - 680 (11.1%)
- Two or more races - 57 (0.9%)
- Asian alone - 46 (0.8%)
- American Indian alone - 21 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 9 (0.1%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 2 (0.03%)
|Considering Buying Home in 'Marginal' Neighborhood. Thoughts? (33 replies)|
|Musicians of Lubbock (Past and Present) (99 replies)|
|job transfer to childress, tx-what is it like? (12 replies)|
|job transfer to childress, tx-what is it like? (10 replies)|
|Socal to Waco area? (26 replies)|
|Where to live in the Waco area. (19 replies)|
Latest news from Childress, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (14.5%), Irish (13.0%), German (10.9%), English (5.7%), Scottish (3.1%), French (2.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 8.25 square miles.
Population density: 739 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Childress:
- High school or higher: 85.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 6.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 9.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Childress city:
- Never married: 33.1%
- Now married: 49.1%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 3.6%
- Divorced: 12.4%
318 residents are foreign born (0.7% Europe).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 7 registered sex offenders living in Childress, Texas as of May 03, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Childress to the number of sex offenders is 869 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $866 (1.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $943 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lawton, OK (103.2 miles , pop. 92,757).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Oklahoma City, OK (168.6 miles , pop. 506,132).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (227.1 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: North River, TX (3.9 miles) , Estelline, TX (3.9 miles) , Goodlett, TX (4.3 miles) , Hollis, OK (5.0 miles ), Dodson, TX (5.1 miles) , Memphis, TX (5.3 miles ), Quanah, TX (5.3 miles ), Paducah, TX (5.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $74,100
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $34,000
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $13,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $70,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $120,000
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $95,500
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $93,100
- 2009: 6 buildings, average cost: $182,500
- 2010: 3 buildings, average cost: $125,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 34.42 N, Longitude: 100.21 W
Area code: 940
|Crime rates in Childress by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||168.3||144.4||191.9||149.4||227.4||168.7||159.2||191.0||170.8||136.9||132.1||176.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Childress detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.79|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +1,648 (+32.1%).
- Retail trade (18%)
- Public administration (18%)
- Construction (15%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (34%)
- Public administration (17%)
- Accommodation and food services (15%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (10%)
- Farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Cashiers (11%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
Average climate in Childress, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Childress-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 62% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1982, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 15.9 miles away from the Childress city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/17/1970, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 39.6 miles away from the city center killed 5 people and injured 51 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Childress-area historical earthquake activity is above Texas state average. It is 55% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 101.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 340.8 miles away from Childress center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 220.7 miles away from the city center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 146.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/28/1998 at 14:13:01, a magnitude 4.2 (3.9 MB, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 105.3 miles away from Childress center
On 1/18/1995 at 15:51:39, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 151.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Childress County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Hurricanes: 3 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Lou Dobbs - Columnist, Margaret A. Edwards - Educator, Hardy Brown - Football player, Clarence Booth - Football player, Red Barkley - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Childress:
- CHILDRESS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (Government - Hospital District or Authority, provides emergency services, HWY 83 NORTH)
- CHILDRESS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER DIALYSIS (910 REAR OAK LANE)
- CHILDRESS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER HOME HEALTH SERV (901 HIGHWAY 83 NORTH)
- GREENBELT HEALTH CARE (504 2ND STREET N E)
- CHILDRESS HEALTHCARE CENTER (1200 7TH ST NW)
- CHILDRESS NURSING CENTER (1200 7TH ST NW)
- TURNER NURSING AND REHABILITATION LP (1610 AVE G NW)
- TURNER NURSING HOME (1610 AVE G NW)
Airports and heliports located in Childress:
- Childress Municipal Airport (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 1,200, Local Ops: 1,800, Military Ops: 40)
- Childress Regional Medical Center Heliport
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Childress:
- Western Oklahoma State College (about 53 miles; Altus, OK; Full-time enrollment: 2,054)
- Vernon College (about 55 miles; Vernon, TX; FT enrollment: 2,216)
- Wayland Baptist University (about 89 miles; Plainview, TX; FT enrollment: 5,526)
- Cameron University (about 103 miles; Lawton, OK; FT enrollment: 4,695)
- West Texas A & M University (about 105 miles; Canyon, TX; FT enrollment: 6,820)
- Midwestern State University (about 105 miles; Wichita Falls, TX; FT enrollment: 4,901)
- Amarillo College (about 107 miles; Amarillo, TX; FT enrollment: 6,622)
Public high school in Childress:
- Childress High School (Students: 317; Location: 800 AVE J N W; Grades: 9-12; Our rating: 30)
Public elementary/middle schools in Childress:
- Childress Elementary School (Students: 561; Location: 300 3RD ST S E; Grades: EE-5; Our rating: 81)
- Childress J H School (Students: 249; Location: 700 COMMERCE ST; Grades: 6-8; Our rating: 31)
- Roach Unit School (Location: 12071 FM 3522; Grades: UG)
- Roach Boot Camp School (Location: 15845 FM 164; Grades: UG)
Notable locations in Childress: Childress County Heritage Museum (A), Childress City Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Childress include: Fairview United Pentecostal Church (A), Church of Christ Childress (B), Holy Angels Catholic Church (C), Saint John Baptist Church (D), Parkview Baptist Church (E), New Hope Baptist Church (F), Bible Baptist Church (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Lake Scott (A), Park Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Childress include: Fair Park (1), Fair Park Stadium (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Childress Inn (2220 Avenue F Northwest) (1), Budget Inn (1410 Avenue F Northwest) (2), Comfort Inn (1804 Avenue F Northwest) (3), Best Western Childress (1801 Avenue F Northwest) (4), Comfort Inn Childress (1804 Avenue F Northwest) (5). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Court: Texas-State - Texas Department Of Criminal Justice- Institutional Division- Roach (F M Road 164) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
(15.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 39.4% for Black residents, 13.2% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 25.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Childress in 2010:
- 1,326 people in state prisons
- 58 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 34 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
People in group quarters in Childress in 2000:
- 1,652 people in state prisons
- 86 people in nursing homes
- 16 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
Childress compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Banks with branches in Childress (2011 data):
- First Bank and Trust of Childress: Gateway Branch at 2006 Ave. G. Nw, branch established on 2010/08/09; First Bank And Trust Of Childress at 301 North Main Street, branch established on 1909/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $76.4 mil, Deposits: $69.9 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Childress Bancshares, Inc.
- First National Bank: Childress Branch at 501 Commerce, branch established on 1934/12/15. Info updated 2008/01/22: Bank assets: $750.4 mil, Deposits: $668.6 mil, headquarters in Waupaca, WI, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 11 total offices, Holding Company: Waupaca Bancorporation, Inc.
- InterBank: Citzens National Bank Of Childress/B at 501 Avenue F, N.W., branch established on 1997/12/04. Info updated 2011/08/30: Bank assets: $1,842.7 mil, Deposits: $1,589.2 mil, headquarters in Oklahoma City, OK, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 33 total offices, Holding Company: Olney Bancshares Of Texas, Inc.
- Wellington State Bank: Childress Branch at 2003 Avenue F Northwest, branch established on 1987/11/19. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $208.1 mil, Deposits: $189.5 mil, headquarters in Wellington, TX, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Wsb Bancshares, Inc.
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Childress, Texas:
- Best Western Childress, 1805 Ave F NW, Childress, TX 79201 , Phone: (940) 934-6353
- Comfort Inn, 1804 Ave F NW, Childress, TX 79201 , Phone: (940) 937-6363, Fax: (940) 937-6724
- Quality Inn, 2008 Ave F NW, Childress, TX 79201 , Phone: (940) 937-3434, Fax: (940) 937-2270
- Super 8 Motel, 411 Ave F Ne ( Hwy 287 ), Childress, TX 79201 , Phone: (940) 937-8825, Fax: (940) 937-8443
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Childress, 3001 Ave F NW, Childress, TX 79201 , Phone: (940) 937-0900, Fax: (940) 937-9001
- Hampton Inn & Suites, 400 Madison Ave, Childress, TX 79201 , Phone: (940) 937-6515, Fax: (940) 937-6040
- Days Inn, 2220 Ave f NW, Childress, TX 79201 , Phone: (940) 937-0622, Fax: (940) 937-0833
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (56%)
- Electricity (40%)
- Wood (2%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Childress city (based on Childress County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 64.69%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Catholic Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)|
|Name||Assemblies of God||Presbyterian Church (USA)||International Pentecostal Holiness Church||Lutheran Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Childress County:||1.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Childress County:||6.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||17.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||5||$20,400||$48,960||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||5||$3,095|
|Police Protection - Officers||8||$33,950||$50,925||0||$0|
|Police - Other||5||$19,315||$46,356||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||4||$8,967||$26,901||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||6||$19,226||$38,452||5||$4,092|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$5,600||$33,600||2||$1,749|
|Totals for Government||61||$203,356||$40,004||16||$10,770|
6.85% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,875 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hall County, TX||0.55% ($30,091 average AGI)|
7.27% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,490 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Potter County, TX||0.60% ($15,250 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Childress:
- KCTX (1510 AM; daytime; 0 kW; CHILDRESS, TX; Owner: KENNETH PAUL HARRIS, SR.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KGNC (710 AM; 10 kW; AMARILLO, TX; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KOMA (1520 AM; 50 kW; OKLAHOMA CITY, OK; Owner: RENDA BROADCASTING CORP. OF NEVADA)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KCAF (990 AM; 10 kW; FARMERSVILLE, TX; Owner: RENAISSANCE RADIO, INC.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Childress:
- KCTX-FM (96.1 FM; CHILDRESS, TX; Owner: KENNETH PAUL HARRIS, SR.)
- K202CK (88.3 FM; CHILDRESS, TX; Owner: TOP OF TEXAS EDUC. B/CNG FOUNDATION)
- KIXC-FM (100.9 FM; QUANAH, TX; Owner: KIXC-FM L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Childress:
- K23DE (Channel 23; CHILDRESS, TX; Owner: RED RIVER VALLEY TRANSLATOR TV ASSN.)
- K46CN (Channel 46; CHILDRESS, ETC., TX; Owner: RED RIVER VALLEY TRANSLATOR TV ASSN.)
- K48DD (Channel 48; CHILDRESS, ETC., TX; Owner: RED RIVER VALLEY TRANSLATOR TV ASSN.)
- K50CQ (Channel 50; CHILDRESS, TX; Owner: RED RIVER VALLEY TRANS. TV ASSN INC.)
- K52DF (Channel 52; CHILDRESS, TX; Owner: RED RIVER VALLEY TRANSLATOR TV ASSN.)
- K25CQ (Channel 25; CHILDRESS, TX; Owner: RED RIVER VALLEY TRANSLATOR TV ASSN.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 16
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 25
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 4
- Fatalities: 18
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 50
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 177
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 268
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 51
- Fatalities: 194
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 461
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 26
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 117 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 23 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Childress, TX)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 30 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Childress)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 20 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Childress)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
|Most common first names in Childress, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Childress, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Childress, TX|
|Best Western||1||Pizza Hut||1|
|Days Inn||1||Rodeway Inn||1|
|H&R Block||1||Super 8||1|
Childress on our top lists:
- #5 on the list of "Top 100 cities with shortest commuting times (pop. 5,000+)"
- #67 on the list of "Top 100 cities with the largest percentage of males (pop. 5,000+)"