We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||50.7 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 02535.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $47,464 (it was $30,029 in 2000)
Chilmark town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: over $1,000,000 (it was $732,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $804,161; Detached houses: $794,384; Townhouses or other attached units: $804,976; In 2-unit structures: $671,845; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $607,827
Races in Chilmark, MA (2010)
- 83095.8%White alone
- 151.7%Black alone
- 91.0%Two or more races
- 20.2%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
- 10.1%Other race alone
Latest news from Chilmark, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Chilmark, MA City Guides:
Ancestries: English (31.2%), German (15.9%), Irish (15.4%), French (8.1%), United States (7.7%), Scottish (7.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1714
Elevation: 91 feet
Land area: 19.1 square miles.
Population density: 45 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Chilmark:
- High school or higher: 97.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 57.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 21.2%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Chilmark town:
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 55.5%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 13.5%
45 residents are foreign born (3.7% Europe, 0.8% North America, 0.6% Asia).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Chilmark town:||0.2% ($1,152)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: New Bedford, MA (23.2 miles , pop. 93,768).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (69.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Queens, NY (166.7 miles , pop. 2,229,379).
Nearest cities: Aquinnah, MA (1.8 miles ), West Tisbury, MA (2.3 miles ), Gosnold, MA (3.0 miles) , Tisbury, MA (3.1 miles ), Vineyard Haven, MA (3.2 miles ), Oak Bluffs, MA (3.3 miles ), Edgartown, MA (3.4 miles ), Woods Hole, MA (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 28 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 1998: 33 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 1999: 34 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2000: 36 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2001: 40 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2002: 44 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2003: 48 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2004: 51 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2005: 46 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2006: 39 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2007: 30 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2008: 21 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2009: 17 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2010: 17 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2011: 12 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2012: 12 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2013: 13 buildings, average cost: $124,000
- 2014: 12 buildings, average cost: $124,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.35 N, Longitude: 70.74 W
Area code: 508
|Crime rates in Chilmark by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 259.9)||101.2||76.1||150.2||128.6||60.4||63.1||123.1|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Chilmark detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||5.40|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (26%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (9%)
- Health care (9%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Carpenters (13%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (7%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Top executives (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (12%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Other financial specialists (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
Average climate in Chilmark, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Chilmark-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/22/1992 at 12:20:32, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 3.8 MS, 4.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 156.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 256.9 miles away from Chilmark center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 155.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 264.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 105.1 miles away from Chilmark center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 286.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dukes County (18) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 7, Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Snowstorms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Snows: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: John W. Mayhew - College football coach.
Hospitals and medical centers near Chilmark:
- BARNSTABLE COUNTY HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 10 miles away; POCASSET, MA)
- CAPE COD AND ISLANDS MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (Hospital, about 10 miles away; POCASSET, MA)
- COLONIAL CARE CERTIFIED, INC (Home Health Center, about 16 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- FALMOUTH NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- ROYAL NURSING CENTER, LLC (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- VNA OF UPPER CAPE COD INC (Home Health Center, about 16 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- JML CARE CENTER INC (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Chilmark:
- University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth (about 24 miles; North Dartmouth, MA; Full-time enrollment: 7,545)
- Salve Regina University (about 31 miles; Newport, RI; FT enrollment: 2,349)
- Cape Cod Community College (about 32 miles; West Barnstable, MA; FT enrollment: 2,491)
- Bristol Community College (about 33 miles; Fall River, MA; FT enrollment: 5,707)
- Roger Williams University (about 35 miles; Bristol, RI; FT enrollment: 4,375)
- University of Rhode Island (about 43 miles; Kingston, RI; FT enrollment: 14,656)
- New England Institute of Technology (about 46 miles; East Greenwich, RI; FT enrollment: 3,183)
Public elementary/middle school in Chilmark:
- CHILMARK ELEMENTARY (Students: 52, Location: 8 STATE ROAD, Grades: KG-5)
Notable locations in Chilmark: Dutcher Dock (A), Beetlebung Corner (B), Tri - Town Ambulance (C), Chilmark Fire Department Station 1 Headquarters (D), Chilmark Fire Department Station 2 (E), Chilmark Community Center (F), Chilmark Public Library (G), Chilmark Town Hall (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Chilmark: Chilmark Community Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Chilmark Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Nashaquitsa Pond (A), Menemsha Pond (B), Harlock Pond (C), Black Point Pond (D), Quenames Cove (E), Chilmark Pond (F), Stonewall Pond (G), Bliss Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Mill Brook (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Park in Chilmark: Menemsha Hills Reservation (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Beaches: Lucy Vincent Beach (A), Menemsha Beach (B), Squibnocket Beach (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 64.4. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 33.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 2.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 10.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 21.6 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Banks with branches in Chilmark (2011 data):
- Sovereign Bank, National Association: Chilmark Branch at 517 South Road, branch established on 1965/07/01. Info updated 2012/01/31: Bank assets: $78,146.9 mil, Deposits: $48,042.9 mil, headquarters in Wilmington, DE, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 718 total offices, Holding Company: Banco Santander, S.A.
- Martha's Vineyard Savings Bank: Chilmark Branch at 9 State Road, branch established on 2004/05/03. Info updated 2007/11/16: Bank assets: $526.2 mil, Deposits: $431.2 mil, headquarters in Edgartown, MA, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 8 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Chilmark town (based on Dukes County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dukes County:||8.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dukes County:||1.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dukes County:||1.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||35.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
6.09% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,625 average adjusted gross income)
0.15% of residents moved from foreign countries ($344 average AGI)
Dukes County: 0.15% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.36% ($78,231 average AGI)|
|from Barnstable County, MA||0.31% ($30,478)|
|from Suffolk County, MA||0.31% ($53,348)|
5.04% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($58,973 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Chilmark:
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBSM (1420 AM; 5 kW; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPRO (630 AM; 5 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Chilmark:
- WCAI (90.1 FM; WOODS HOLE, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WMVY (92.7 FM; TISBURY, MA; Owner: ARITAUR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCIB (101.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WCTK (98.1 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJFD-FM (97.3 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: EDMUND DINIS, TRUSTEE)
- WKKB (100.3 FM; MIDDLETOWN, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFHN (107.1 FM; FAIRHAVEN, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTWV (101.1 FM; MASHPEE, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WFPB-FM (91.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WSMU-FM (91.1 FM; NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
TV broadcast stations around Chilmark:
- WLWC (Channel 28; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: C-28 FCC LICENSEE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
Chilmark fatal accident list:
Jun 5, 1981 08:45 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- $602,000Total costs
- 8,500Total average daily traffic
- 595Total average daily truck traffic
- 13,424Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Chilmark)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:22 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:4
- Off Middle Road (Lat: 41.354833 Lon: -70.735028), Type: Tower, Structure height: 7.6 m, Overall height: 12.1 m, Call Sign: KNBH905
Assigned Frequencies: 154.325 MHzGrant Date: 08/05/1998, Expiration Date: 10/07/2003, Cancellation Date: 12/07/2003Registrant: Federal Licensing Inc, 1588 Fairfield Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-9262, Fax: (717) 334-6440
- Cross Rd (Lat: 41.344000 Lon: -70.905028), Structure height: 12 m, Call Sign: WNSZ366
Assigned Frequencies: 158.940 MHzGrant Date: 08/14/2015, Expiration Date: 08/13/2025Registrant: Bardwell Elect, Tisbury, MA 02568, Phone: (508) 693-1486, Email:
- Off Middle Road (Lat: 41.354833 Lon: -70.735028), Type: Tower, Structure height: 9.1 m, Overall height: 12.1 m, Call Sign: WQAS838
Assigned Frequencies: 154.325 MHzGrant Date: 06/03/2014, Expiration Date: 07/30/2024, Certifier: Mike MccormackRegistrant: Federal Licensing, Inc., 1588 Fairfield Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-9262, Fax: (717) 334-6440
- 34 Black Smith Valley Road (Lat: 41.319389 Lon: -70.769917), Type: Bant, Structure height: 8 m, Overall height: 10 m, Call Sign: WQGX574
Assigned Frequencies: 153.350 MHzGrant Date: 05/15/2007, Expiration Date: 05/15/2017, Certifier: Doug LimanRegistrant: Cara Enterprises Inc, Salt Lake City, UT 84117-0503, Phone: (801) 278-9728, Fax: (801) 278-7239, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: KA1WKY, Grant Date: 12/24/1990, Expiration Date: 12/24/2000, Cancellation Date: 12/25/2002, Registrant: Christian B Parker, Prospect Hill Box 477, Chilmark, MA 02535
- Call Sign: N1QWY, Previous Call Sign: KA1TJB, Grant Date: 12/14/1993, Expiration Date: 12/14/2003, Cancellation Date: 12/15/2005, Registrant: Emma T Parker, Chilmark, MA 02535
- Call Sign: N1QWZ, Previous Call Sign: KA1TJC, Licensee ID: L00749164, Grant Date: 09/17/2013, Expiration Date: 12/14/2023, Certifier: J B R Parker, Registrant: J B R Parker, Chilmark, MA 02535-0477
- Call Sign: W1MIW, Licensee ID: L01537609, Grant Date: 04/20/2010, Expiration Date: 04/20/2020, Registrant: Donald G Beck, 9 Shalers Way, Chilmark, MA 02535-2851
- Call Sign: WA2KIV, Licensee ID: L00877578, Grant Date: 08/01/2014, Expiration Date: 08/17/2024, Certifier: Victor R Spelman, Registrant: Victor R Spelman, 9 Beechtree Road, Chilmark, MA 02535
- Call Sign: KB1OCG, Licensee ID: L01205181, Grant Date: 10/31/2006, Expiration Date: 10/31/2016, Certifier: William H Smith, Registrant: William H Smith, Chilmark, MA 02535
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: RYAN NAVION A (Category: Land, Seats: 5, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 126 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR I0-470 SERIES (260 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 4284K , Serial Number: NAV-4-1284, Year manufactured: 1948, Airworthiness Date: 01/17/1958
Registrant (Individual): Paul S Hornblower, Po Box 345, Chilmark, MA 02535
- Aircraft: CESSNA 177B (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 108 mph), Engine: LYCOMING O&VO-360 SER (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 544PZ , Serial Number: 17701981, Year manufactured: 1973, Airworthiness Date: 08/23/1973
Registrant (Corporation): Stonewood Construction Co Inc, Nabs Corner 30 Stonewood Ln, Chilmark, MA 02535
- Aircraft: RAYTHEON AIRCRAFT COMPANY 58 (Category: Land, Engines: 2, Seats: 6, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: Reciprocating
N-Number: 645SK , Serial Number: TH-2118
Registrant (Corporation): Knafel Aviation Corp, Po Box 311, Chilmark, MA 02535
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (50%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (27%)
- Wood (11%)
- Electricity (10%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Chilmark compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Chilmark on our top lists:
- #9 on the list of "Top 101 larger cities with the lowest real estate taxes percentage (population 50,000+)"
- #30 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest ratio of median house value to median household income"
- #89 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest median house value"
- #12 (02535) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers reporting profit/loss from business in 2012 (pop 1,000+)"
- #71 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Ozone (1-hour) air pollution readings in 2012 (ppm)"
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Obama (Democrat) in the 2012 Presidential Election"
Total of 4 patent applications in 2008-2019.