We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||45.1 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54527.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $22,069 (it was $16,841 in 2000)
Chippewa town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $130,660 (it was $77,200 in 2000)
Races in Chippewa, WI (2010)
- 36597.6%White alone
- 61.6%Two or more races
Ancestries: German (47.6%), Polish (14.3%), Irish (7.6%), English (7.2%), Norwegian (6.2%), Swedish (3.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 124.4 square miles.
Population density: 3.0 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Chippewa:
- High school or higher: 77.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Chippewa town:
- Never married: 21.1%
- Now married: 69.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 2.6%
3 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Chippewa town:||2.0% ($1,533)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Duluth, MN (84.9 miles , pop. 86,918).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Paul, MN (138.3 miles , pop. 287,151).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (326.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Shanagolden, WI (2.6 miles) , Glidden, WI (3.1 miles ), Butternut, WI (3.2 miles ), Lake, WI (3.2 miles ), Draper, WI (3.2 miles) , Peeksville, WI (3.4 miles) , Jacobs, WI (3.5 miles ), Clam Lake, WI (3.6 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $55,000
- 1998: 4 buildings, average cost: $38,800
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $25,000
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $76,000
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $40,000
- 2003: 5 buildings, average cost: $89,000
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $77,500
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $138,800
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $152,800
- 2008: 4 buildings, average cost: $53,800
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $140,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $180,000
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 46.03 N, Longitude: 90.71 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 715
Unemployment by year (%)
- Paper (23%)
- Wood products (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Construction (5%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (5%)
- Machinery (5%)
- Health care (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (18%)
- Food and beverage stores (16%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Paper (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (17%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (12%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Woodworkers (5%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Customer service representatives (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
- Cashiers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (4%)
Average climate in Chippewa, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Chippewa-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 53% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/8/1985, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 13.4 miles away from the Chippewa town center killed 2 people and injured 42 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/10/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 39.2 miles away from the town center killed 2 people and injured 24 people.
Earthquake activity:Chippewa-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 96% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 258.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 270.1 miles away from Chippewa center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 328.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/20/1995 at 15:57:18, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 296.6 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 442.5 miles away from Chippewa center
On 2/9/1994 at 08:45:35, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 219.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Ashland County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Chippewa:
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (about 62 miles; Shell Lake, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,414)
- University of Wisconsin-Superior (about 82 miles; Superior, WI; FT enrollment: 2,302)
- University of Minnesota-Duluth (about 86 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 10,612)
- The College of Saint Scholastica (about 86 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 3,762)
- Lake Superior College (about 87 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- Northcentral Technical College (about 89 miles; Wausau, WI; FT enrollment: 3,356)
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire (about 94 miles; Eau Claire, WI; FT enrollment: 10,143)
Notable locations in Chippewa: Stock Farm Bridge Recreation Site (A), Chippewa Townhall (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Pelican Lake (A), Snoose Lake (B), Slim Lake (C), Bullhead Lake (D), Camp Four Lake (E), Bear Lake (F), Cub Lake (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Rocky Run (A), Kelp Creek (B), Hungry Run (C), Hay Creek (D), Camp Fourteen Creek (E), Camp Fifteen Creek (F), Black Creek (G), Spring Brook (H), Reins Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Chippewa town (based on Ashland County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Ashland County:||4.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ashland County:||0.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ashland County:||6.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||18.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
5.01% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($58,101 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Bayfield County, WI||0.70% ($28,227 average AGI)|
|from Price County, WI||0.38% ($26,083)|
|from St. Louis County, MN||0.27% ($34,353)|
5.66% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,994 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Chippewa:
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WJMS (590 AM; 5 kW; IRONWOOD, MI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNBI (980 AM; 1 kW; PARK FALLS, WI)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WHSM (910 AM; 5 kW; HAYWARD, WI; Owner: QB BROADCASTING, LTD.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WDSM (710 AM; 10 kW; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WWJC (850 AM; daytime; 10 kW; DULUTH, MN; Owner: WWJC, INC.)
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
Strongest FM radio stations in Chippewa:
- WCQM (98.3 FM; PARK FALLS, WI; Owner: MIDWEST RADIO NETWORK, LLC)
- WHBM-FM (90.3 FM; PARK FALLS, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WOJB (88.9 FM; RESERVE, WI; Owner: LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWA PUBLIC)
TV broadcast stations around Chippewa:
- WLEF-TV (Channel 36; PARK FALLS, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 3m10ftTotal length
- 340Total average daily traffic
- 340Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- WQRB-FM TRANSMITTER, 4.7 Km Ese Of Albertville (Lat: 44.928611 Lon: -91.542222), Type: Tower, Structure height: 125 m, Overall height: 125.9 m, Call Sign: WPTY392
Assigned Frequencies: 944.875 MHzGrant Date: 01/11/2002, Expiration Date: 12/01/2020, Certifier: Stephen G DavisRegistrant: Iheartmedia, 2625 South Memorial Drive, Suite A, Tulsa, OK 74129, Phone: (918) 664-4581, Fax: (918) 664-3066, Email:
- Chippewa Falls, WI, Lat: 44.936278 Lon: -91.392694, Call Sign: WPUR271
Assigned Frequencies: 956.318 MHz, 956.318 MHzGrant Date: 04/03/2012, Expiration Date: 04/17/2022, Certifier: John AllenRegistrant: City Of Chippewa Falls, 30 W Central Street, Room 209, Chippewa Falls, WI 54729, Phone: (715) 726-2741, Fax: (715) 726-2750, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KC9HYI, Licensee ID: L01046593, Grant Date: 08/13/2015, Expiration Date: 08/01/2025, Certifier: Peter T Peloquin, Registrant: Peter T Peloquin, 2101 150th St, Chippewa, WI 54729-0021
- Call Sign: KC9NME, Licensee ID: L01393274, Grant Date: 04/24/2008, Expiration Date: 04/24/2018, Cancellation Date: 10/20/2008, Certifier: Jerry M Anders, Registrant: Jerry M Anders, 13128 35th Ave, Chippewa, WI 54729
- Call Sign: KC9OLC, Previous Call Sign: KC9NME, Licensee ID: L01393274, Grant Date: 04/24/2008, Expiration Date: 04/24/2018, Certifier: Jerry M Anders, Registrant: Jerry M Anders, 13128 35th Ave, Chippewa, WI 54729
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (47%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (42%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (6%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Chippewa compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.