Clarion: HOMINY RIDGE LODGE AND CABINS CABIN 4
Clarion: Clarion Courthouse with old jail behind
Clarion: Gotta have water!
Clarion: clarion county courthouse built 1884
Clarion: Cooks forest
Clarion: Hominy Ridge cabin in cooks forest
Submit your own pictures of this borough and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||24.0 years|
|Pennsylvania median age:||40.6 years|
Zip codes: 16214.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $19,610 (it was $10,832 in 2000)
Clarion borough income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $121,154 (it was $89,200 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2016: $610.
Races in Clarion, PA (2010)
- 4,77090.4%White alone
- 2564.9%Black alone
- 981.9%Asian alone
- 821.6%Two or more races
- 150.3%Other race alone
- 30.06%American Indian alone
- 10.02%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Poorest Towns in Pennsylvania (43 replies)|
|Are there any buses to and from Clarion, PA? (0 replies)|
|Pittsburgh Foodies Thread (2091 replies)|
|What's with all the confederate flags? (109 replies)|
|How will you rank the big name Pennsylvania Universities (54 replies)|
|Favorite Drives (31 replies)|
Latest news from Clarion, PA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (26.7%), Irish (9.3%), American (8.8%), Italian (7.5%), English (5.6%), Polish (3.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 04/06/1841
Elevation: 1491 feet
Land area: 1.49 square miles.
Population density: 3,226 people per square mile(average).
For population 25 years and over in Clarion:
- High school or higher: 92.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 48.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 21.6%
- Unemployed: 11.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 13.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Clarion borough:
- Never married: 58.1%
- Now married: 29.0%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 4.7%
- Divorced: 7.1%
249 residents are foreign born (2.1% Asia, 1.3% Africa, 1.1% Europe).
According to our research of Pennsylvania and other state lists there were 11 registered sex offenders living in Clarion, Pennsylvania as of May 25, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Clarion to the number of sex offenders is 461 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $2,502 (2.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $1,798 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pittsburgh, PA (61.7 miles , pop. 334,563).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (237.9 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Strattanville borough, PA (1.7 miles ), Marianne, PA (1.8 miles ), Shippenville borough, PA (2.2 miles ), Knox borough, PA (2.8 miles ), Sligo borough, PA (3.0 miles ), Corsica borough, PA (3.1 miles ), Callensburg borough, PA (3.3 miles ), Leeper, PA (3.4 miles) .
Latitude: 41.21 N, Longitude: 79.38 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,798 (+35.4%)
Workers who live and work in this borough: 1,105 (50.4%)
Area code: 814
|Crime rates in Clarion by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 278.1)||62.1||65.1||76.7||117.2||78.4||133.2||80.1||92.1||103.7||99.3||97.7||77.8||120.1||54.1|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Clarion detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.27|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -344 (-5.3%).
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Health care and social assistance (11%)
- Construction (9%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (25%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Health care and social assistance (21%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Other services, except public administration (2%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (17%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (9%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (7%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (6%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (24%)
- Sales and related occupations (15%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (14%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Personal care and service occupations (6%)
Average climate in Clarion, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Clarion-area historical tornado activity is near Pennsylvania state average. It is 16% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/31/1985, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 15.7 miles away from the Clarion borough center killed 16 people and injured 125 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1985, a category F4 tornado 26.4 miles away from the borough center killed 7 people and injured 30 people.
Earthquake activity:Clarion-area historical earthquake activity is near Pennsylvania state average. It is 85% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 56.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 96.0 miles away from Clarion center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 89.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 185.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 319.1 miles away from Clarion center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 319.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Clarion County (11) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Storms: 3, Hurricanes: 2, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: George W. Alexander - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Clarion:
- CLARION HOSPITAL (Voluntary non-profit - Other, provides emergency services, 271 PERKINS ROAD)
- CLARION PSYCHIATRIC CENTER (provides emergency services, TWO HOSPITAL DR RD#3 BOX 188)
- CLARION HEALTH CARE MANOR (999 HEIDRICK ST)
- GOLDEN LIVINGCENTER-CLARION (999 HEIDRICK STREET)
- DCI OF CLARION (65 DOLBY STREET)
- RENAL CARE OF CLARION (825 EAST MAIN STREET)
- CLARION FOREST VNA INC (271 PERKINS ROAD)
Airports and heliports located in Clarion:
- Clarion County Airport (AXQ) (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 4, Itinerant Ops: 1,153, Local Ops: 1,259, Military Ops: 8)
- Parker-Cramer Airport (PS66) (Runways: 1)
- Clarion Hospital Heliport (91PA)
College/University in Clarion:
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Clarion:
- Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania (about 37 miles; Slippery Rock, PA; Full-time enrollment: 8,424)
- Grove City College (about 37 miles; Grove City, PA; FT enrollment: 2,560)
- Butler County Community College (about 39 miles; Butler, PA; FT enrollment: 2,518)
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania-Main Campus (about 43 miles; Indiana, PA; FT enrollment: 14,471)
- Allegheny College (about 50 miles; Meadville, PA; FT enrollment: 2,249)
- Wyo Tech-Blairsville (about 54 miles; Blairsville, PA; FT enrollment: 2,602)
- Edinboro University of Pennsylvania (about 60 miles; Edinboro, PA; FT enrollment: 6,746)
Public high school in Clarion:
- CLARION AREA JSHS (Students: 458, Location: 219 LIBERTY ST, Grades: 7-12)
Private high school in Clarion:
- CLARION CENTER SCHOOL (Students: 27, Location: 2 HOSPITAL DR, Grades: 1-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Clarion:
Library in Clarion:
Notable locations in Clarion: Haskett House (A), J George Becht Hall (B), J W F Wilkinson Hall (C), John Ballentine Hall (D), Lorena M Givan Hall (E), Marwick - Boyd Fine Arts Center (F), Peirce Science Center (G), Special Projects Center (H), Still Hall Business Administration and Computer Center (I), Tippin Gymnasium (J), Tippin Natatorium (K), University Gallery (L), Alumni and Development Center Building (M), Alumni House - Clarion University of Pennsylvania (N), Anabel Lee Ralston Hall (O), Bertha Nair Hall (P), Carrier Administration Building (Q), Ceramics Laboratory Building (R), Chandler Dining Hall (S), Egbert Hall (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Clarion: Gemmell Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Clarion County Historical Society (Museums; 17 South 5th Avenue).
Hotels: Clarion House Bed & Breakfast (77 South 7th Avenue), CAPT Loomis Restaurant (540 Main Street), Comfort Inn Clarion (Dolby Street), Holiday Inn Clarion (45 Holiday Inn Road).
(35.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 14.3% for Black residents)
|This borough:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Clarion in 2010:
- 1,350 people in college/university student housing
- 90 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 6 people in emergency and transitional shelters (with sleeping facilities) for people experiencing homelessness
People in group quarters in Clarion in 2000:
- 1,764 people in college dormitories (includes college quarters off campus)
- 72 people in nursing homes
- 9 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 2 people in other nonhousehold living situations
Banks with branches in Clarion (2011 data):
- PNC Bank, National Association: Clarion Branch, Clarion Du Branch, Trust Department Branch, Clarion @ Wal-Mart Branch. Info updated 2012/03/20: Bank assets: $263,309.6 mil, Deposits: $197,343.0 mil, headquarters in Wilmington, DE, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 3085 total offices, Holding Company: Pnc Financial Services Group, Inc., The
- Northwest Savings Bank: Clarion Drive-In Branch at 97 West Main Street, branch established on 1987/01/20; 601 Main St Branch at 601 Main St, branch established on 1928/01/01. Info updated 2009/11/23: Bank assets: $7,975.9 mil, Deposits: $5,985.6 mil, headquarters in Warren, PA, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 172 total offices
- Community First Bank: Clarion Branch at 601 Main Street, branch established on 2010/11/08. Info updated 2006/06/14: Bank assets: $87.7 mil, Deposits: $73.8 mil, headquarters in Reynoldsville, PA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Community First Bancorp, Inc.
- S&T Bank: Clarion Branch at 410 Main Street, branch established on 1963/12/02. Info updated 2012/03/14: Bank assets: $4,099.9 mil, Deposits: $3,349.5 mil, headquarters in Indiana, PA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 60 total offices, Holding Company: S & T Bancorp, Inc.
- First United National Bank: Clarion Branch at 400 Liberty Street, branch established on 1998/02/17. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $243.8 mil, Deposits: $224.0 mil, headquarters in Fryburg, PA, positive income, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Fryburg Banking Company, Inc.
- Clarion County Community Bank: at 333 Main Street, branch established on 2004/01/07. Info updated 2010/08/30: Bank assets: $120.3 mil, Deposits: $107.9 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 3 total offices
- The Farmers National Bank of Emlenton: Clarion Branch at Sixth And Wood Streets, branch established on 1985/04/15. Info updated 2008/11/05: Bank assets: $490.2 mil, Deposits: $416.5 mil, headquarters in Emlenton, PA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 13 total offices, Holding Company: Emclaire Financial Corp
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Clarion borough (based on Clarion County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Clarion County:||3.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Clarion County:||0.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||0.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Clarion County:||5.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Clarion, PA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$17||$204||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||8||$28,000||$42,000||0||$0|
|Police - Other||1||$1,800||$21,600||3||$1,560|
|Streets and Highways||5||$2,300||$5,520||1||$204|
|Housing and Community Development(Local)||1||$3,046||$36,552||1||$204|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$612|
|Totals for Government||17||$37,423||$26,416||6||$2,580|
Clarion government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Regular Highways: $677,000 ($140.54)
Sewerage: $127,000 ($26.36)
General: $25,000 ($5.19)
Parks & Recreation: $1,000 ($0.21)
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $466,000 ($96.74)
Regular Highways: $358,000 ($74.32)
Housing & Community Development: $217,000 ($45.05)
Central Staff Services: $204,000 ($42.35)
General Public Buildings: $51,000 ($10.59)
General - Other: $48,000 ($9.96)
Parks & Recreation: $44,000 ($9.13)
Libraries: $40,000 ($8.30)
Fire Protection: $27,000 ($5.61)
Financial Administration: $9,000 ($1.87)
- Employee Retirement - Total Cash & Deposits: $2,483,000 ($515.47)
Benefit Payments: $55,000 ($11.42)
- General - Interest on Debt: $58,000 ($12.04)
- Other Capital Outlay - Police Protection: $7,000 ($1.45)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $747,000 ($155.08)
Clarion government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Parking Facilities: $46,000 ($9.55)
Parks & Recreation: $25,000 ($5.19)
- Employee Retirement - Interest Revenue: $74,000 ($15.36)
From Local Government: $52,000 ($10.80)
From Other Government: $8,000 ($1.66)
Local Employee Contribution: $1,000 ($0.21)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $156,000 ($32.39)
Interest Earnings: $22,000 ($4.57)
- State Intergovernmental - Housing & Community Development: $153,000 ($31.76)
Highways: $95,000 ($19.72)
All Other: $57,000 ($11.83)
General Support: $4,000 ($0.83)
- Tax - Property: $557,000 ($115.63)
Individual Income: $233,000 ($48.37)
NEC: $160,000 ($33.22)
Clarion government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $920,000 ($190.99)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $802,000 ($166.49)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $118,000 ($24.50)
Clarion government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $31,000 ($6.44)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $343,000 ($71.21)
4.42% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,911 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Venango County, PA||0.48% ($28,690 average AGI)|
|from Jefferson County, PA||0.46% ($27,045)|
|from Butler County, PA||0.36% ($32,434)|
4.55% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,052 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Clarion:
- WWCH (1300 AM; 1 kW; CLARION, PA; Owner: CLARION COUNTY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WECZ (1540 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA)
- WCCS (1160 AM; 10 kW; HOMER CITY, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- WKNR (850 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCED (1420 AM; 5 kW; DU BOIS, PA; Owner: VOX ALLEGANY, LLC)
- WWVA (1170 AM; 53 kW; WHEELING, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTAM (1100 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHK (1220 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAVL (910 AM; 5 kW; APOLLO, PA; Owner: EVANGEL HEIGHTS ASSEMBLY OF GOD)
- WWKB (1520 AM; 50 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WKQW (1120 AM; daytime; 1 kW; OIL CITY, PA; Owner: STEPHEN M. OLSZOWKA)
- WNAE (1310 AM; 5 kW; WARREN, PA; Owner: KINZUA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Clarion:
- WCUC-FM (91.7 FM; CLARION, PA; Owner: CLARION STATE COLLEGE)
- WCCR (92.7 FM; CLARION, PA; Owner: CLARION COUNTY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WYTR (103.3 FM; BROOKVILLE, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- WMKX (105.5 FM; BROOKVILLE, PA; Owner: STRATTAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WOXX (99.3 FM; FRANKLIN, PA; Owner: FOREVER BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WKQW-FM (96.3 FM; OIL CITY, PA; Owner: STEPHEN M. OLSZOWKA)
- WGYI (98.5 FM; OIL CITY, PA; Owner: FOREVER BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WAWN (89.5 FM; FRANKLIN, PA; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
TV broadcast stations around Clarion:
- W45BT (Channel 45; BROOKVILLE, PA; Owner: CORNERSTONE TELEVISION, INC.)
- W25AX (Channel 25; KITTANNING, PA; Owner: TURNPIKE TELEVISION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Clarion, PA)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 23 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 17 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 46 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Clarion)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 8 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Clarion)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Clarion that have no violations reported:
- CLARION RIVERVIEW APARTMENTS (Population served: 40, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Incident types - Clarion
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Clarion, Pennsylvania:
- Park Inn by Radisson Clarion, 45 Holiday Inn Rd, Clarion, Pennsylvania 16214 , Phone: (814) 226-8850, Fax: (814) 226-9055
- Comfort Inn Clarion, 129 Dolby St, Clarion, Pennsylvania 16214 , Phone: (814) 226-5230, Fax: (814) 226-5231
- Hampton Inn - Clarion, 4 Hospital Dr, Clarion, Pennsylvania 16214 , Phone: (814) 226-4444, Fax: (814) 226-4446
- Microtel Inn & Suites, 2049 Leesburg Grv City Rd, Clarion, Pennsylvania 16214 , Phone: (724) 748-9920, Fax: (724) 748-9921
- Quality Inn & Suites, 24 United Dr, Clarion, Pennsylvania 16214 , Phone: (814) 226-8682
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Clarion, 325 Perkins Rd, Clarion, Pennsylvania 16214 , Phone: (814) 223-4010, Fax: (814) 223-4011
|Most common first names in Clarion, PA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Clarion, PA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (79%)
- Electricity (21%)
- Wood (1%)
|Businesses in Clarion, PA|
|7-Eleven||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||McDonald's||2|
Clarion compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Clarion on our top lists:
- #48 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Southern Africa (population 500+)"
- #48 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in South Africa (population 500+)"
- #65 on the list of "Top 101 cities where the highest percentage of females (15+ years) which never married (with at least 1,000 females in this group)"
- #67 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest positive percentage difference between never married females and males (15+ years) (with at least 1,000 females never married)"
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the lowest percentage of family households, population 1,000+"
- #81 on the list of "Top 101 cities where the highest percentage of males (15+ years) which never married (with at least 1,000 males in this group)"
- #85 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in college dormitories (includes college quarters off campus) (population 1,000+)"
Total of 10 patent applications in 2008-2018.