Clay City, Indiana
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||40.8 years|
|Indiana median age:||37.6 years|
Zip codes: 47841.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $20,791 (it was $15,281 in 2000)
Clay City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $73,954 (it was $56,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $75,302; Detached houses: $77,774; Mobile homes: $41,131
Median gross rent in 2016: $629.
Races in Clay City, IN (2010)
- 84998.6%White alone
- 50.6%Two or more races
- 10.1%Asian alone
Latest news from Clay City, IN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (33.8%), American (21.3%), English (10.5%), Swiss (5.4%), European (3.2%), Irish (2.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 587 feet
Land area: 0.53 square miles.
Population density: 1,578 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Clay City:
- High school or higher: 89.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Clay City town:
- Never married: 19.6%
- Now married: 54.7%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 11.5%
- Divorced: 12.0%
4 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Indiana and other state lists there were 6 registered sex offenders living in Clay City, Indiana as of April 20, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Clay City to the number of sex offenders is 138 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $285 (0.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $275 (0.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Terre Haute, IN (19.9 miles , pop. 59,614).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Indianapolis, IN (62.5 miles , pop. 781,870).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (179.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Coalmont, IN (2.9 miles ), Jasonville, IN (3.1 miles ), Center Point, IN (3.1 miles ), Hymera, IN (3.4 miles ), Riley, IN (3.6 miles) , Worthington, IN (3.6 miles ), Farmersburg, IN (3.8 miles ), Staunton, IN (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 39.28 N, Longitude: 87.11 W
Area code: 812
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (30%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Health care and social assistance (12%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (36%)
- Retail trade (16%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Manufacturing (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Finance and insurance (3%)
- Production occupations (22%)
- Transportation occupations (13%)
- Community and social service occupations (11%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Health technologists and technicians (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Personal care and service occupations (14%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (11%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (9%)
- Healthcare support occupations (7%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (6%)
Average climate in Clay City, Indiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Clay City-area historical tornado activity is near Indiana state average. It is 77% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/29/1963, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.7 miles away from the Clay City town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/22/1960, a category F3 tornado 21.6 miles away from the town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Clay City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Indiana state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 70.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 52.1 miles away from Clay City center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 96.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 68.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 71.0 miles away from Clay City center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 186.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Clay County (16) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 7, Winter Storms: 3, Snowstorms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Elliott Booe - College basketball player (Indiana State Sycamores).
airports located in Clay City:
- Booe Airport (II34) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Clay City:
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (about 19 miles; Terre Haute, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,123)
- Indiana State University (about 21 miles; Terre Haute, IN; FT enrollment: 10,925)
- DePauw University (about 29 miles; Greencastle, IN; FT enrollment: 2,360)
- Indiana University-Bloomington (about 33 miles; Bloomington, IN; FT enrollment: 39,039)
- Vincennes University (about 47 miles; Vincennes, IN; FT enrollment: 9,876)
- Eastern Illinois University (about 59 miles; Charleston, IL; FT enrollment: 9,414)
- University of Indianapolis (about 61 miles; Indianapolis, IN; FT enrollment: 4,625)
Public high school in Clay City:
- CLAY CITY JR-SR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 449, Location: 601 LANKFORD ST, Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Clay City:
- CLAY CITY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 386, Location: 681 N LANKFORD ST, Grades: KG-6)
Notable location: Clay City - Harrison Township Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 87.9. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 0.879. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 20.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 16.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 10.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.6 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Banks with branches in Clay City (2011 data):
- BMO Harris Bank National Association: Clay City Branch at 801 Main Street, branch established on 1967/01/04. Info updated 2011/07/14: Bank assets: $97,264.0 mil, Deposits: $75,624.6 mil, headquarters in Chicago, IL, positive income, 717 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Of Montreal
- First Financial Bank, National Association: Clay City Branch at 502-504 Main Street, branch established on 1989/05/22. Info updated 2012/01/04: Bank assets: $2,852.7 mil, Deposits: $2,227.7 mil, headquarters in Terre Haute, IN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 66 total offices, Holding Company: First Financial Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Clay City town (based on Clay County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Clay County:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Indiana:||1.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Clay County:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Indiana:||0.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Clay County:||5.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.78 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Clay City, IN Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||4||$2,313|
|Police Protection - Officers||2||$4,708||$28,248||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||5||$10,240||$24,576||4||$2,313|
Clay City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - General - Other: $384,000 ($455.52)
Water Utilities: $308,000 ($365.36)
Health Services - Other: $300,000 ($355.87)
Sewerage: $244,000 ($289.44)
Regular Highways: $3,000 ($3.56)
- General - Interest on Debt: $15,000 ($17.79)
- Other Capital Outlay - General - Other: $7,000 ($8.30)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $154,000 ($182.68)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $81,000 ($96.09)
Clay City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $311,000 ($368.92)
- Local Intergovernmental - Highways: $16,000 ($18.98)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $375,000 ($444.84)
Interest Earnings: $5,000 ($5.93)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $320,000 ($379.60)
- State Intergovernmental - Health & Hospitals: $318,000 ($377.22)
Highways: $26,000 ($30.84)
General Support: $6,000 ($7.12)
- Tax - Property: $17,000 ($20.17)
NEC: $1,000 ($1.19)
Clay City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $1,356,000 ($1608.54)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $247,000 ($293.00)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $1,277,000 ($1514.83)
Other, NEC: $237,000 ($281.14)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $79,000 ($93.71)
Other, NEC: $10,000 ($11.86)
Clay City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $12,000 ($14.23)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $763,000 ($905.10)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $0 ($0.00)
5.36% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,159 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Vigo County, IN||1.72% ($31,102 average AGI)|
|from Putnam County, IN||0.39% ($25,500)|
|from Marion County, IN||0.32% ($33,242)|
6.13% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,326 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Clay City:
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WPFR (1480 AM; 5 kW; TERRE HAUTE, IN)
- WGCL (1370 AM; 5 kW; BLOOMINGTON, IN; Owner: SARKES TARZIAN, INC,)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- WOWO (1190 AM; 50 kW; FORT WAYNE, IN; Owner: PATHFINDER COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WSAI (1530 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSDX (1130 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BRAZIL, IN)
Strongest FM radio stations in Clay City:
- WSKT (92.7 FM; SPENCER, IN; Owner: MID-AMERICA RADIO OF INDIANA, INC.)
- WBOW-FM (102.7 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: CROSSROADS INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- WHCC (105.1 FM; ELLETTSVILLE, IN; Owner: ARTISTIC MEDIA PARTNERS, L.P.)
- WTHI-FM (99.9 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WMGI (100.7 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: BRIGHT TOWER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WQTY (93.3 FM; LINTON, IN; Owner: THE ORIGINAL COMPANY, INC.)
- WSDM-FM (97.7 FM; BRAZIL, IN; Owner: CROSSROADS INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- WPFR-FM (93.9 FM; CLINTON, IN; Owner: WORD POWER, INC.)
- WISU (89.7 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: INDIANA STATE UNIV. BD. OF TRUSTEES)
- WWSY (95.9 FM; SEELYVILLE, IN; Owner: BRIGHT TOWER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WFIU (103.7 FM; BLOOMINGTON, IN; Owner: TRUSTEES OF INDIANA UNIVERSITY)
- WNDI-FM (95.3 FM; SULLIVAN, IN; Owner: J T M BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WMHD-FM (90.7 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: ROSE-HULMAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY)
- WCRT (88.5 FM; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE)
- WWVR (105.5 FM; WEST TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Clay City:
- WTWO (Channel 2; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF THE MIDWEST, INC.)
- WBAK-TV (Channel 38; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: INDIANA BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WTHI-TV (Channel 10; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: EMMIS TELEVISION LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WTIU (Channel 30; BLOOMINGTON, IN; Owner: THE TRUSTEES OF INDIANA UNIVERSITY)
- W43BV (Channel 43; TERRE HAUTE, IN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Clay City fatal accident list:
Jun 3, 1978 04:00 AM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 11Number of bridges
- 19m62ftTotal length
- $2,525,000Total costs
- 13,381Total average daily traffic
- 1,252Total average daily truck traffic
- 19,047Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 27
- Hazardous Condition: 4
Incident types - Clay City
|Most common first names in Clay City, IN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Clay City, IN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (64%)
- Electricity (29%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Wood (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Businesses in Clay City, IN
- Chevrolet: 1
- Ford: 1
Clay City compared to Indiana state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
State forum archive:
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2018.