|Median resident age:||46.9 years|
|Virginia median age:||35.1 years|
Zip codes: 24228.
Clintwood town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $98,853 (it was $53,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $524.
- White alone - 1,393 (98.5%)
- Two or more races - 8 (0.6%)
- Hispanic - 5 (0.4%)
- Black alone - 4 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 3 (0.2%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.07%)
|Is Virginia a Northern or Southern state? (763 replies)|
|Backwoods VA, still 'Southern'? Any reccomendations? (8 replies)|
|Clintwood /Coeburn VA 72 ISO Church (2 replies)|
|Appalachia County Questions (22 replies)|
|Haysi, VA (20 replies)|
|looking to visit the coal mine area of Virginia (19 replies)|
Latest news from Clintwood, VA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (32.8%), Irish (13.8%), English (12.3%), German (7.8%), Scotch-Irish (4.1%), French (3.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1894
Elevation: 1760 feet
Land area: 1.91 square miles.
Population density: 716 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Clintwood:
- High school or higher: 79.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 10.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Clintwood town:
- Never married: 31.4%
- Now married: 37.9%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 15.6%
- Divorced: 12.6%
62 residents are foreign born (0.7% Asia, 0.6% Europe).
According to our research of Virginia and other state lists there were 13 registered sex offenders living in Clintwood, Virginia as of April 20, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Clintwood to the number of sex offenders is 106 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $695 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $467 (0.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Johnson City, TN (56.5 miles , pop. 55,469).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (127.2 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (427.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Clinchco, VA (2.3 miles ), Ashcamp, KY (2.8 miles ), Pound, VA (2.9 miles ), Haysi, VA (3.1 miles) , Jenkins, KY (3.1 miles ), Dorton, KY (3.3 miles ), Payne Gap, KY (3.3 miles ), Hellier, KY (3.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $116,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $116,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $8,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $150,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $118,600
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 37.15 N, Longitude: 82.46 W
Area code: 276
|Crime rates in Clintwood by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||82.7||127.2||116.0||242.4||153.5||196.9||239.4||179.3||158.5||128.3||83.6||133.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Clintwood detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.83|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (15%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Other services, except public administration (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Educational services (25%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Extraction workers (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Cashiers (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (11%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
Average climate in Clintwood, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Clintwood-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Virginia state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 109.3 miles away from the city center
On 11/23/2006 at 10:42:57, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 26.6 miles away from Clintwood center
On 11/2/2006 at 17:53:02, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 29.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 103.8 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 125.5 miles away from Clintwood center
On 6/29/1996 at 19:30:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 MB, 3.9 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 28.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dickenson County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 7, Storms: 6, Winter Storms: 4, Blizzard: 1, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Loston Wallace - Comics artist, Bud Phillips - Virginia Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers in Clintwood:
- DICKENSON CNTY MED CNTR (provides emergency services, HOSPITAL DR PO BOX 1390)
- DICKENSON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (Voluntary non-profit - Private, provides emergency services, 312 HOSPITAL DRIVE)
- DICKENSON COUNTY HOME HEALTH INC (230 CHASE ST)
- HERITAGE HALL CLINTWOOD (1225 CLINTWOOD MAIN STREET, ROUTE 607 PO BOX 909)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Clintwood:
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 33 miles; Cumberland, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,196)
- Hazard Community and Technical College (about 40 miles; Hazard, KY; FT enrollment: 2,087)
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College (about 42 miles; Prestonsburg, KY; FT enrollment: 2,660)
- King University (about 43 miles; Bristol, TN; FT enrollment: 2,472)
- Northeast State Community College (about 47 miles; Blountville, TN; FT enrollment: 4,480)
- East Tennessee State University (about 59 miles; Johnson City, TN; FT enrollment: 12,774)
- Tusculum College (about 70 miles; Greeneville, TN; FT enrollment: 2,070)
Public high school in Clintwood:
- Clintwood High School (Students: 346; Location: STATE ROUTE 83; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Clintwood:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Dickenson County Medical Center closed December 2002. Dickenson Community Hospital opened November 2003. Address: 1 Hospital Drive, PO Box 1440, Clintwood, VA 24228 Link to hospital website: http://www.dchosp.com. Please make this correction.
Notable locations in Clintwood: Ralph Stanley Museum and Traditional Mountain Music Center (A), Dickenson County Courthouse (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Clintwood: Valley View Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Rock Branch (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Ralph Stanley Museum (249 Old Clintwood Highway).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 76.3. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2002 was 1.08. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 13.4 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 24.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 22.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 21.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 22.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.60. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.4 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Clintwood that have no violations reported:
- CLINTWOOD, TOWN OF (Population served: 4,390, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- DCPSA - BIG CANEY (Population served: 3,925, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- DICKENSON COUNTY REGIONAL - DCPSA (Population served: 3,035, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- DCPSA - SKEETROCK (Population served: 1,170, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- DCPSA - HONEY CAMP/DARWIN (Population served: 700, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- DCPSA - RT. 80 (Population served: 470, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- DCPSA - RAKES RIDGE (Population served: 383, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- BARTLICK/BREAKS - DCPSA (Population served: 255, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- DCPSA-FEARLS BRANCH (Population served: 255, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- DCPSA - OSBORN GAP (Population served: 175, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
(16.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 18.2% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 69.2% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 1.3% of all households
9 people in residential treatment centers for adults in 2010
People in group quarters in Clintwood in 2000:
- 89 people in nursing homes
- 43 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 5 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Clintwood compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Banks with branches in Clintwood (2011 data):
- First Community Bank: Clintwood Branch at Chase And Alley Streets, branch established on 1997/07/25. Info updated 2011/07/12: Bank assets: $2,144.1 mil, Deposits: $1,561.3 mil, headquarters in Bluefield, VA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 58 total offices, Holding Company: First Community Bancshares, Inc.
- Wells Fargo Bank, National Association: Clintwood Branch at 80 Main Street, branch established on 1940/07/09. Info updated 2011/04/05: Bank assets: $1,161,490.0 mil, Deposits: $905,653.0 mil, headquarters in Sioux Falls, SD, positive income, 6395 total offices, Holding Company: Wells Fargo & Company
- Farmers and Miners Bank: West Clintwood Branch at 5283 Dickenson Highway, branch established on 2000/10/03. Info updated 2011/03/25: Bank assets: $129.1 mil, Deposits: $112.6 mil, headquarters in Pennington Gap, VA, positive income, 6 total offices
- New Peoples Bank, Inc.: Clintwood Office Branch at 198 Colley Shopping Center, branch established on 2002/05/16. Info updated 2007/08/21: Bank assets: $781.6 mil, Deposits: $709.1 mil, headquarters in Honaker, VA, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 28 total offices, Holding Company: New Peoples Bankshares, Inc.
- Branch Banking and Trust Company: Clintwood Branch at 228 Chase Street, branch established on 1986/07/25. Info updated 2010/03/29: Bank assets: $168,867.6 mil, Deposits: $127,549.5 mil, headquarters in Winston Salem, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1793 total offices, Holding Company: Bb&T Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (89%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (5%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Clintwood town (based on Dickenson County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 27.57%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Independent Free Will Baptists Associations||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Church of the Brethren|
|Name||Presbyterian Church in America||Catholic Church||Churches of Christ||Church of God of Prophecy||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dickenson County:||3.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dickenson County:||0.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||1.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dickenson County:||8.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.70 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$3,431||$41,172||1||$908|
|Police Protection - Officers||4||$11,906||$35,718||1||$162|
|Solid Waste Management||4||$8,873||$26,619||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||2||$4,461||$26,766||2||$1,005|
|Totals for Government||14||$38,130||$32,683||4||$2,075|
3.39% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,232 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
4.10% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,079 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Clintwood:
- WDIC (1430 AM; daytime; 5 kW; CLINCHCO, VA; Owner: DICKENSON COUNTY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WBPA (1460 AM; 5 kW; ELKHORN CITY, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CORP)
- WNVA (1350 AM; 5 kW; NORTON, VA; Owner: RADIO-WISE, INC.)
- WEZC (1480 AM; daytime; 5 kW; NEON, KY; Owner: JESUS COMMUNICATION ILNC.)
- WTCW (920 AM; 4 kW; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: T.C.W. BROADCASTING , INC.)
- WLSI (900 AM; 5 kW; PIKEVILLE, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKVG (1000 AM; daytime; 1 kW; JENKINS, KY; Owner: MARTINS & ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WNRG (940 AM; 5 kW; GRUNDY, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA-KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CO., INC)
- WZAP (690 AM; 10 kW; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: RAM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGOC (640 AM; 10 kW; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WXLZ (1140 AM; daytime; 3 kW; ST. PAUL, VA; Owner: YEARY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPWT (870 AM; daytime; 10 kW; COLONIAL HEIGHTS, TN; Owner: INFORMATION COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Clintwood:
- W212BP (90.3 FM; CLINTWOOD, VA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA'S COLLEGE AT WISE)
- WPKE-FM (103.1 FM; COAL RUN, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WDXC (102.3 FM; POUND, VA; Owner: WDXC RADIO, INC.)
- WIFX-FM (94.3 FM; JENKINS, KY; Owner: LETCHER COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC)
- WDIC-FM (92.1 FM; CLINCHCO, VA; Owner: DICKENSON COUNTY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WXKQ-FM (103.9 FM; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: T.C.W. BROADCASTING , INC.)
- WMMT (88.7 FM; WHITESBURG, KY; Owner: APPALSHOP, INCORPORATED)
- WAXM (93.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W223AA (92.5 FM; BIG STONE GAP, VA; Owner: VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WISE-FM (90.5 FM; WISE, VA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA'S COLLEGE AT WISE)
- WSEH (102.7 FM; CUMBERLAND, KY; Owner: CUMBERLAND CITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WZLK (107.5 FM; VIRGIE, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNVA-FM (106.3 FM; NORTON, VA; Owner: RADIO WISE, INC.)
- WTFM (98.5 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WDHR (93.1 FM; PIKEVILLE, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WHCB (91.5 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: APPALACHIAN EDUC. COMMUNICATION CORP)
- WXLR (104.9 FM; HAROLD, KY; Owner: ADAM D GEARHEART)
- WETS-FM (89.5 FM; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WXBQ-FM (96.9 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCQR-FM (88.3 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Clintwood:
- WYMT-TV (Channel 57; HAZARD, KY; Owner: WYMT LICENSEE CORP.)
- W24BT (Channel 24; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKPI-TV (Channel 22; PIKEVILLE, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WSBN-TV (Channel 47; NORTON, VA; Owner: BLUE RIDGE PUBLIC TELEVISION, INC.)
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Clintwood)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Clintwood, VA)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- CLINTWOOD, Lat: 37.150500 Lon: -82.457889, Call Sign: WQGQ541
Assigned Frequencies: 956.368 MHz
Grant Date: 03/23/2007, Expiration Date: 03/23/2017, Certifier: Judy Steele
Registrant: Sensus, 450 N Gallatin Ave, Uniontown, PA 15401, Phone: (800) 638-3748, Fax: (800) 888-2403, Email:
- Clintwood TS, Rt. 731 Off Of Rt.637 Bise Ridge (Lat: 37.116222 Lon: -82.414583), Type: Tower, Structure height: 54.9 m, Overall height: 61 m, Call Sign: WQGS457, Licensee ID: L00268142
Assigned Frequencies: 6123.10 MHz, 6152.75 MHz, 6645.62 MHz
Grant Date: 04/04/2007, Expiration Date: 04/04/2017, Certifier: Jason D Griffith
Registrant: Appalachian Power Company
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:49 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Clintwood)
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: MAULE M-7-235C (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING 0-540 SERIES (250 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 235HC , Serial Number: 25076C, Year manufactured: 2001, Airworthiness Date: 10/02/2001
Registrant (Co-Owned): James P Senter, Po Box 810, Clintwood, VA 24228, Other Owners: Ginger R Senter
- Aircraft: CESSNA 182H (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 119 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR O-470 SERIES (230 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2363X , Serial Number: 18256263, Year manufactured: 1965, Airworthiness Date: 05/20/1965
Registrant (Individual): Joe H Short, Po Box 416, Clintwood, VA 24228
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150G (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 3390J , Serial Number: 15066090, Year manufactured: 1967, Airworthiness Date: 02/27/1967
Registrant (Individual): Dennis C Vandyke, 187 J P Ln, Clintwood, VA 24228
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 46
- Hazardous Condition: 9
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Clintwood
|Most common first names in Clintwood, VA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Clintwood, VA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Clintwood, VA|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|H&R Block||1||Pizza Hut||1|
|Lane Furniture||1||True Value||1|