Clymer, New York
Clymer: Clymer NY from the air!
Clymer: Peak and Peak Ski Resort - Fall Foilage
Clymer: New addition and renovated Clymer Central School
Clymer: Main St. Clymer NY
Clymer: Fall Foilage
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||32.5 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 14724.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $19,196 (it was $13,710 in 2000)
Clymer town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $80,244 (it was $58,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $117,832; Detached houses: $119,969; Townhouses or other attached units: $160,376; In 2-unit structures: $93,832; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $127,913; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $188,543; Mobile homes: $50,075; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $925,167
Races in Clymer, NY (2010)
- 1,66898.2%White alone
- 160.9%Two or more races
- 20.1%Asian alone
- 10.06%American Indian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Professional services jobs are soaring, making it the fastest-growing industry Aug 21
- Internetification today Aug 19
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
|smaller Upstate NY cities and towns/African American communities (705 replies)|
|Consolidation/County School Districts (27 replies)|
|Welcome to ny "bump bump bump" (22 replies)|
|Reccomendation in Chautanqua county (1 reply)|
|Streets Named After Historical LI Figures (33 replies)|
|moving to Williamsburg Brooklyn (47 replies)|
Latest news from Clymer, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Dutch (26.0%), German (17.6%), English (11.5%), Irish (9.3%), Swedish (4.3%), Italian (4.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1468 feet
Land area: 36.1 square miles.
Population density: 47 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Clymer:
- High school or higher: 75.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 2.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Clymer town:
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 68.5%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 4.8%
14 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Clymer town:||2.1% ($1,203)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Erie, PA (25.6 miles , pop. 103,717).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Buffalo, NY (71.0 miles , pop. 292,648).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (271.3 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Bear Lake, PA (2.3 miles) , French Creek, NY (2.4 miles ), Panama, NY (2.4 miles ), Columbus, PA (2.6 miles ), Harmony, NY (2.8 miles ), Corry, PA (2.8 miles ), Sherman, NY (2.9 miles ), Mina, NY (3.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $41,400
- 1998: 4 buildings, average cost: $29,300
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $32,500
- 2000: 5 buildings, average cost: $48,600
- 2001: 7 buildings, average cost: $68,400
- 2002: 10 buildings, average cost: $50,100
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $37,600
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $21,500
- 2005: 3 buildings, average cost: $93,300
- 2006: 7 buildings, average cost: $97,100
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $67,500
- 2009: 7 buildings, average cost: $89,300
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $85,000
- 2011: 4 buildings, average cost: $109,300
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $102,500
- 2013: 2 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2014: 4 buildings, average cost: $127,800
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.04 N, Longitude: 79.59 W
Area code: 716
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (21%)
- Construction (8%)
- Wood products (8%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Groceries and related products merchant wholesalers (4%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Health care (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Personal and laundry services (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (12%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Woodworkers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in Clymer, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Clymer-area historical tornado activity is above New York state average. It is 34% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/31/1985, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 8.2 miles away from the Clymer town center .
On 6/20/1969, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 2.4 miles away from the town center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Clymer-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above New York state average. It is 86% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 56.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 86.4 miles away from Clymer center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 62.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 296.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 219.3 miles away from Clymer center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 340.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Chautauqua County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 8, Snowstorms: 4, Hurricanes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Power Outage: 1, Snow: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Clymer: William Houlton.
Hospitals and medical centers near Clymer:
- CORRY REGIONAL HOSPICE (Hospital, about 8 miles away; CORRY, PA)
- CORRY MANOR (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; CORRY, PA)
- DAVITA - CORRY DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 9 miles away; CORRY, PA)
- HOSPICE CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY INC (Hospital, about 14 miles away; MAYVILLE, NY)
- UNION CITY MEM HOSP (Hospital, about 16 miles away; UNION CITY, PA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Clymer:
- Jamestown Community College (about 20 miles; Jamestown, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,384)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Erie-Behrend College (about 22 miles; Erie, PA; FT enrollment: 4,025)
- Mercyhurst University (about 25 miles; Erie, PA; FT enrollment: 2,888)
- Gannon University (about 27 miles; Erie, PA; FT enrollment: 3,760)
- Edinboro University of Pennsylvania (about 30 miles; Edinboro, PA; FT enrollment: 6,746)
- SUNY at Fredonia (about 32 miles; Fredonia, NY; FT enrollment: 5,523)
- Allegheny College (about 40 miles; Meadville, PA; FT enrollment: 2,249)
Public high school in Clymer:
- CLYMER CENTRAL SCHOOL (Students: 452, Location: 8672 E MAIN ST, Grades: PK-12)
Private elementary/middle schools in Clymer:
Notable locations in Clymer: Wickwire Corners (A), Panama Station (B), Clymer - French Creek Free Library (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Clymer include: Clymer Hill Reformed Church (A), Abbe Reformed Church (B), North Clymer United Methodist Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Clymer Hill Cemetery (1), Clymer Center Cemetery (2), East Clymer Cemetery (3), Holland Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Brownell Branch (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 78.9. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2013 was 0.210. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 24.3 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 6.37. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.1 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.972. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 31.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 12.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 12.2. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 17.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||3.1 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Banks with branches in Clymer (2011 data):
- Community Bank, National Association: Clymer Branch at 8720 East Main Street, branch established on 1963/01/25. Info updated 2011/06/13: Bank assets: $6,460.6 mil, Deposits: $4,840.4 mil, headquarters in Canton, NY, positive income, 175 total offices, Holding Company: Community Bank System, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Clymer town (based on Chautauqua County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Chautauqua County:||2.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Chautauqua County:||1.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Chautauqua County:||3.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
2.97% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($31,167 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
0.06% of residents moved from foreign countries ($530 average AGI)
Chautauqua County: 0.06% New York average: 0.08%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Erie County, NY||0.51% ($32,576 average AGI)|
|from Cattaraugus County, NY||0.34% ($33,098)|
|from Erie County, PA||0.17% ($33,578)|
3.71% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,138 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
0.02% of residents moved to foreign countries ($180 average AGI)
Chautauqua County: 0.02% New York average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Clymer:
- WWCB (1370 AM; 1 kW; CORRY, PA; Owner: CORRY COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WWKB (1520 AM; 50 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
- WRIE (1260 AM; 5 kW; ERIE, PA; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF ERIE, INC.)
- WFNN (1330 AM; 5 kW; ERIE, PA; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WNAE (1310 AM; 5 kW; WARREN, PA; Owner: KINZUA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKNR (850 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTAM (1100 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHAM (1180 AM; 50 kW; ROCHESTER, NY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WHK (1220 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJTN (1240 AM; 1 kW; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: MEDIA ONE GROUP, LLC)
- WKSN (1340 AM; 1 kW; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: VOX ALLEGANY, L.L.C.)
- WGR (550 AM; 5 kW; BUFFALO, NY; Owner: ENTERCOM BUFFALO LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Clymer:
- WRKT (100.9 FM; NORTH EAST, PA; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WKZA (106.9 FM; LAKEWOOD, NY; Owner: CROSS COUNTRY COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WWSE (93.3 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: MEDIA ONE GROUP, LLC)
- WUBJ (88.1 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- W205BA (88.9 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WRTS (103.7 FM; ERIE, PA; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WNJA (89.7 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING ASSOC)
- WMCE (88.5 FM; ERIE, PA; Owner: MERCYHURST COLLEGE)
- WXKC (99.9 FM; ERIE, PA; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF ERIE, INC.)
- WBKX (96.5 FM; FREDONIA, NY; Owner: CHADWICK BAY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCTL (106.3 FM; UNION CITY, PA; Owner: INSPIRATION TIME, INC.)
- WFGO (94.7 FM; ERIE, PA; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WQHZ (102.3 FM; ERIE, PA; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF ERIE, INC.)
- WCOT (90.9 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: FAMILY LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WQFX-FM (103.1 FM; RUSSELL, PA; Owner: SOUTHBRIDGE RADIO CORPORATION)
- WQLN-FM (91.3 FM; ERIE, PA; Owner: PUBLIC B/C OF NW PENN. INC.)
- WXTA (97.9 FM; EDINBORO, PA; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF ERIE, INC.)
- WMHU (101.9 FM; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: VOX ALLEGANY, L.L.C.)
- WXXO (104.5 FM; CAMBRIDGE SPRINGS, PA; Owner: FOREVER BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WEFR (88.1 FM; ERIE, PA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Clymer:
- WICU-TV (Channel 12; ERIE, PA; Owner: SJL OF PENNSYLVANIA, INC.)
- W46BA (Channel 46; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.)
- WJET-TV (Channel 24; ERIE, PA; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF ERIE, L.L.C.)
- WNYB (Channel 26; JAMESTOWN, NY; Owner: FAITH BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WSEE-TV (Channel 35; ERIE, PA; Owner: INITIAL BROADCASTING OF PENNSYLVANIA LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WQLN (Channel 54; ERIE, PA; Owner: PUBLIC B/C OF NW PENN. INC.)
- WFXP (Channel 66; ERIE, PA; Owner: MISSION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W62AD (Channel 62; CLYMER, NY; Owner: WESTERN NEW YORK PUBLIC B/CING.ASSN.)
- W48CH (Channel 48; ERIE, PA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Clymer fatal accident list:
Mar 9, 2004 11:04 AM, Cr-10, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Mar 30, 2004 12:55 AM, Cr-636, Cr-36, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Aug 18, 1999 02:00 AM, Bush Rd, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Aug 11, 1997 08:10 AM, 426, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 15Number of bridges
- 21m69ftTotal length
- $5,550,000Total costs
- 7,731Total average daily traffic
- 872Total average daily truck traffic
- 8,878Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Clymer)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:4
- Fire Station W Main St (Lat: 42.020889 Lon: -79.630056), Call Sign: KGK588, Licensee ID: L00421288
Assigned Frequencies: 46.1000 MHz, 46.1400 MHzGrant Date: 12/28/2011, Expiration Date: 02/03/2022Registrant: Clymer Fire Department Inc, 8756 West Main, Clymer, NY 14724, Phone: (716) 355-9954, Email:
- Clymer Hill Rd At Pettet Rd (Lat: 42.066167 Lon: -79.614222), Call Sign: WSL609
Assigned Frequencies: 155.100 MHzGrant Date: 01/26/2015, Expiration Date: 12/11/2024Registrant: Washington Radio Reports, 1588 Fairfield Road Ste 7, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-0668, Fax: (717) 334-6440, Email:
- Tenneco Plant Hwy 426 4 Mi Nw (Lat: 42.053944 Lon: -79.693944), Structure height: 66 m, Call Sign: KEB567
Assigned Frequencies: 48.6600 MHzGrant Date: 02/07/2012, Expiration Date: 02/11/2022, Certifier: Kathi ClemonsRegistrant: El Paso - Tennessee Gas Pipeline, 569 Brookwood Village, Suite 501, Birmingham, AL 35209, Phone: (205) 325-3513, Fax: (205) 325-3730, Email:
- Lat: 42.012944 Lon: -79.626111, Call Sign: WQFX515
Assigned Frequencies: 451.875 MHzGrant Date: 10/30/2006, Expiration Date: 10/30/2016, Certifier: Daniel J CaflischRegistrant: Lao 20626403, 102 E. Middle St., Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (800) 886-4222, Fax: (717) 337-9157, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KD2ICI, Licensee ID: L01924782, Grant Date: 03/03/2015, Expiration Date: 03/03/2025, Certifier: Daniel J Mcgrath, Registrant: Daniel J Mcgrath, 10344 Belknap Road, Clymer, NY 14724
Drinking water stations with addresses in Clymer and their reported violations in the past:JB CORNER DINER (Serves PA, Population served: 100, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:CUTTING LANES (Population served: 80, Groundwater):
- Monitoring, Source Water (GWR) - Between JUL-24-2013 and AUG-24-2013, Contaminant: E. COLI. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (SEP-04-2013), St Compliance achieved (SEP-04-2013)
- One routine major monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:
- 15 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
Drinking water stations with addresses in Clymer that have no violations reported:
- CLYMER WATER DISTRICT (Population served: 650, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- FRENCH CREEK STORE (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
|Most common first names in Clymer, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Clymer, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (47%)
- Wood (23%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (15%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Coal or coke (2%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Clymer compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 14 patent applications in 2008-2017.