|Median resident age:||45.6 years|
|West Virginia median age:||42.6 years|
Coal City CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $98,287 (it was $46,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $298.
- White alone - 1,750 (96.4%)
- Two or more races - 54 (3.0%)
- Hispanic - 8 (0.4%)
- Black alone - 2 (0.1%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.06%)
Latest news from Coal City, WV collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (56.5%), German (12.4%), Dutch (5.1%), Irish (4.0%), English (3.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 2580 feet
Land area: 6.27 square miles.
Population density: 289 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Coal City:
- High school or higher: 82.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.1%
- Unemployed: 9.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 34.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Coal City CDP:
- Never married: 15.8%
- Now married: 67.2%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 10.7%
- Divorced: 4.1%
According to our research of West Virginia and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Coal City, West Virginia as of February 28, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Coal City to the number of sex offenders is 605 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $492 (0.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $199 (0.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Charleston, WV (51.4 miles , pop. 53,421).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Greensboro, NC (135.1 miles , pop. 223,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (363.7 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Sophia, WV (1.7 miles ), Crab Orchard, WV (2.0 miles ), Glen White, WV (2.2 miles ), MacArthur, WV (2.2 miles ), Beaver, WV (2.4 miles ), Mabscott, WV (2.4 miles ), Daniels, WV (2.5 miles ), Lester, WV (2.5 miles ).
Latitude: 37.69 N, Longitude: 81.21 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 304
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (25%)
- Transportation and warehousing (20%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (13%)
- Utilities (13%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Wholesale trade (5%)
- Educational services (33%)
- Health care and social assistance (32%)
- Public administration (21%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Construction (0%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Extraction workers (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Woodworkers (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (5%)
- Cashiers (16%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Personal appearance workers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (4%)
Average climate in Coal City, West Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Coal City-area historical earthquake activity is near West Virginia state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 153.3 miles away from the city center
On 11/2/2006 at 17:53:02, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, Depth: 0.6 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 51.4 miles away from Coal City center
On 11/23/2006 at 10:42:57, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 55.7 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 149.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 266.8 miles away from Coal City center
On 6/29/1996 at 19:30:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 MB, 3.9 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 53.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Raleigh County (19) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 8, Landslides: 5, Winter Storms: 3, Mudslides: 2, Blizzard: 1, Drought: 1, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Coal City:
- BECKLEY VA MEDICAL CENTER (Hospital, Acute Care - Veterans Administration, about 6 miles away; BECKLEY, WV)
- BECKLEY HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 6 miles away; BECKLEY, WV)
- 1204 S. KANAWHA GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 7 miles away; BECKLEY, WV)
- 811 S. KANAWHA GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 7 miles away; BECKLEY, WV)
- TEMPLE STREET GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 7 miles away; BECKLEY, WV)
- RALEIGH GENERAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 7 miles away; BECKLEY, WV)
- COLUMBIA RALEIGH GENERAL HOSPITAL D/P (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; BECKLEY, WV)
Amtrak stations near Coal City:
- 15 miles: PRINCE (RTE. 41 NORTH) . Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 18 miles: HINTON (FRONT ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, free short-term parking, free long-term parking.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Coal City:
- New River Community and Technical College (about 8 miles; Beckley, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,234)
- Concord University (about 22 miles; Athens, WV; FT enrollment: 2,698)
- New River Community College (about 50 miles; Dublin, VA; FT enrollment: 3,007)
- Wytheville Community College (about 51 miles; Wytheville, VA; FT enrollment: 2,193)
- Radford University (about 53 miles; Radford, VA; FT enrollment: 9,426)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (about 54 miles; Blacksburg, VA; FT enrollment: 30,984)
- West Virginia State University (about 57 miles; Institute, WV; FT enrollment: 2,133)
Public high school in Coal City:
- Independence High School (Students: 760; Location: 850 INDEPENDENCE ROAD; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Coal City:
- Coal City Elementary School (Students: 335; Location: INDEPENDENCE RD.; Grades: PK-5)
Notable locations in Coal City: Coal City Volunteer Fire Department (A), Best Transports Ambulance Service 651 (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 38.3. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 18.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.32. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.5 miles away from the city center.
(1.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This place:||2.4 people|
|West Virginia:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Coal City compared to West Virginia state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (53%)
- Utility gas (40%)
- Wood (3%)
- Other fuel (2%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Coal City CDP (based on Raleigh County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 22.37%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Southern Baptist Convention|
|Name||National Association of Free Will Baptists||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Raleigh County:||1.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|West Virginia:||2.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|Raleigh County:||0.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|West Virginia:||1.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Raleigh County:||6.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.22 / 10,000 pop.|
4.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,477 average adjusted gross income)
|West Virginia average:||5.16%|
0.05% of residents moved from foreign countries ($261 average AGI)
Raleigh County: 0.05% West Virginia average: 0.01%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Fayette County, WV||0.70% ($32,387 average AGI)|
|from Wyoming County, WV||0.31% ($35,926)|
|from Kanawha County, WV||0.25% ($38,254)|
4.47% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,864 average adjusted gross income)
|West Virginia average:||5.13%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Coal City:
- WIWS (1070 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WJLS (560 AM; 5 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: FIRST MEDIA RADIO, LLC)
- WWNR (620 AM; 5 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: DYNASTAR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOAY (860 AM; 10 kW; OAK HILL, WV; Owner: COMMISSIONED COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBDY (1190 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WCAW (680 AM; 10 kW; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORPORATION OF CHARLESTON)
- WELC (1150 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELCH, WV; Owner: POCAHONTAS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WNRV (990 AM; 5 kW; NARROWS-PEARISBURG, VA; Owner: PERCEPTION MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WHIS (1440 AM; 5 kW; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WKNV (890 AM; daytime; 10 kW; FAIRLAWN, VA; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFNR (710 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BLACKSBURG, VA; Owner: PERCEPTION MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WYKM (1250 AM; 5 kW; RUPERT, WV; Owner: MT. STATE B. CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Coal City:
- WJLS-FM (99.5 FM; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: FIRST MEDIA RADIO, LLC)
- WMTD-FM (102.3 FM; HINTON, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WCIR-FM (103.7 FM; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WVPB (91.7 FM; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
- WHAJ (104.5 FM; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WPMW (92.7 FM; MULLENS, WV; Owner: CASTLE ROCK INVESTMENTS, L.L.C.)
- WTNJ (105.9 FM; MOUNT HOPE, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHKX (106.3 FM; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WKOY-FM (100.9 FM; PRINCETON, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WPIB (91.1 FM; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WAXS (94.1 FM; OAK HILL, WV; Owner: PLATEAU BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSTG (95.9 FM; PRINCETON, WV; Owner: PRINCETON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDBS (97.1 FM; SUTTON, WV; Owner: SUMMIT MEDIA BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- KHPR (88.1 FM; HONOLULU, HI; Owner: HAWAII PUBLIC RADIO)
- W244BF (96.7 FM; NIMITZ, WV; Owner: GRACE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WKCJ (103.1 FM; LEWISBURG, WV; Owner: QUORUM RADIO PARTNERS OF VIRGINIA, INC.)
- WRON-FM (97.7 FM; RONCEVERTE, WV; Owner: RADIO GREENBRIER, INC.)
- WELC-FM (102.9 FM; WELCH, WV; Owner: POCAHONTAS BROADCASTING CO.)
TV broadcast stations around Coal City:
- WOAY-TV (Channel 4; OAK HILL, WV; Owner: THOMAS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WSWP-TV (Channel 9; GRANDVIEW, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
Coal City fatal accident list:
Mar 31, 2008 05:25 PM, Cr-29, Lat: 37.67291, Lon: -81.21093, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Sep 15, 2007 02:40 AM, Cr-29 Coal City Road, Lat: 37.67370, Lon: -81.21110, Vehicles: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: Inconsistent data
Jan 16, 1999 10:40 PM, 36, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Oct 2, 1998 04:35 PM, 29, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Apr 6, 1989 02:25 AM, 29, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 32
- Hazardous Condition: 36
- Service Call: 1
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Coal City
|Most common first names in Coal City, WV among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Coal City, WV among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|