|Median resident age:||46.9 years|
|Colorado median age:||34.3 years|
Zip code: 81230
- White alone - 89 (91.8%)
- Hispanic - 5 (5.2%)
- Two or more races - 2 (2.1%)
- Asian alone - 1 (1.0%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Land area: 772.2 square miles.
Population density: 0.1 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Cochetopa:
- High school or higher: 100.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 0.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cochetopa CCD:
- Never married: 100.0%
- Now married: 0.0%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 0.0%
- Divorced: 0.0%
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Colorado Springs, CO (112.9 miles , pop. 360,890).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (443.8 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Cathedral, CO (4.5 miles) , Gunnison, CO (4.6 miles ), Pitkin, CO (5.1 miles) , City of Creede, CO (5.5 miles ), Creede, CO (5.6 miles ), Garfield, CO (5.6 miles) , Sapinero, CO (5.6 miles ), Bonanza, CO (5.7 miles) .
Latitude: 38.27 N, Longitude: 106.74 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 970
Unemployment by year (%)
Average climate in Cochetopa, Colorado
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Cochetopa-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Colorado state average. It is 175% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 544.0 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 595.1 miles away from Cochetopa center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 142.9 miles away from the city center
On 9/13/1994 at 06:01:23, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 ML, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 67.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi) earthquake occurred 614.8 miles away from Cochetopa center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 3/28/1975 at 02:31:05, a magnitude 6.2 (6.1 MB, 6.0 MS, 6.2 ML, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 398.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Saguache County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 2, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Cochetopa:
- Western State Colorado University (about 22 miles; Gunnison, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,023)
- Adams State University (about 73 miles; Alamosa, CO; FT enrollment: 2,805)
- Fort Lewis College (about 93 miles; Durango, CO; FT enrollment: 3,631)
- Colorado Mountain College (about 94 miles; Glenwood Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 3,463)
- Colorado College (about 111 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 2,199)
- Pikes Peak Community College (about 111 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 10,395)
- Colorado Technical University-Online (about 112 miles; Colorado Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 22,771)
Notable locations in Cochetopa: Flying M Ranch (A), Quarter Circle Ranch (B), Old Agency Ranger Station (C), McDonough Ranch (D), Rock Creek Cow Camp (E), Long Branch Guard Station (F), Tomichi Picnic Area (G), Gould Ranch (H), Corson Place (I), Watts Homestead (J), Shelton Ranch (K), Cooper Ranch (L), Mergelmann Cow Camp (M), Double Heart Ranch (N), Table Top Ranch (O), Mitchell Ranch (P), Post Homestead (Q), Sargents Fire Department (R). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Iris Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Baldy Lake (A), Beaver Ponds (B), Little Mud Pond (C), Big Mud Pond (D), Lower Dome Reservoir (E), Upper Dome Reservoir (F), McDonough Reservoir Number 1 (G), Mine Wastewater Treatment Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Lake Fork Cochetopa Creek (A), Stewart Creek (B), Cascade Creek (C), Chavez Creek (D), Perfecto Creek (E), Sheep Creek (F), Lujan Creek (G), Slane Creek (H), Pine Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Cochetopa: Dome Lakes State Wildlife Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2006 was 24.2. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2006 was 17.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 21.5 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.6% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Cochetopa compared to Colorado state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Cochetopa CCD (based on Saguache County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 49.26%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA|
|Name||Mennonite Church of God in Christ||Assemblies of God||Christian and Missionary Alliance||Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Saguache County:||1.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|Colorado:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Saguache County:||8.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.99 / 10,000 pop.|
10.61% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,587 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
9.33% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,250 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Alamosa County, CO||1.13% ($30,067 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Cochetopa:
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KUBC (580 AM; 5 kW; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KPKE (1490 AM; 1 kW; GUNNISON, CO; Owner: JOHN HARVEY REES)
- KCBR (1040 AM; daytime; 15 kW; MONUMENT, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KLMO (1060 AM; 30 kW; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KJOL (620 AM; 10 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: UNITED MINISTRIES)
- KCUV (1510 AM; 25 kW; LITTLETON, CO; Owner: PEOPLE WIRELESS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Cochetopa:
- K239AE (95.7 FM; BUENA VISTA, ETC, CO; Owner: COLORADO COLLEGE)
- K208DP (89.5 FM; NATHROP, CO; Owner: CHEYENNE MTN PUBLIC B/CAST HOUSE INC)
- KSBV (93.7 FM; SALIDA, CO; Owner: ARKANSAS VALLEY BROADCASTING, LLC)
- K219CF (91.7 FM; DEL NORTE, ETC., CO; Owner: MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOUNDATION, INC.)
- KKXK (94.1 FM; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KWGL (105.7 FM; OURAY, CO; Owner: WS COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
- KPRH (88.3 FM; MONTROSE, CO; Owner: PUBLIC BROADCASTING OF COLORADO INC)
- KBNG (103.7 FM; RIDGWAY, CO; Owner: WOODLAND COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- K276AA (103.1 FM; SALIDA & BUENA VISTA, CO; Owner: CHAFFEE CTY. TV TRANSLATOR ASSOC.)
- K213AT (90.5 FM; BUENA VISTA, CO; Owner: COLORADO CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY)
- KVLE-FM (102.3 FM; GUNNISON, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KEJJ (98.3 FM; GUNNISON, CO; Owner: JOHN HARVEY REES)
- KWSB-FM (91.1 FM; GUNNISON, CO; Owner: WESTERN STATE COLLEGE OF COLORADO)
- K210BS (89.9 FM; GUNNISON, CO; Owner: CRESTED BUTTE MOUNTAIN EDUCATIONAL RADIO, INC)
- K206BE (89.1 FM; GUNNISON, CO; Owner: PUBLIC BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC)