Coleman: Sunset at Hords Creek Lake Summer 2006
Coleman: This big guy is in a pasture right out of Coleman.
Coleman: We have old fashioned lights in middle of intersection. During Christmas holiday they change the bulbs to red and green.
Coleman: Sun going down
Coleman: Field in Coleman, Texas
Coleman: Sky over Coleman, Texas
Coleman: Sky over Coleman, Texas
Coleman: Sun going down
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||40.3 years|
|Texas median age:||34.0 years|
Zip codes: 76834.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $14,437 (it was $13,752 in 2000)
Coleman city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $46,492 (it was $34,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $59,164; Detached houses: $61,009; Mobile homes: $33,004
Median gross rent in 2013: $479.
Races in Coleman, TX (2010)
- 3,58776.2%White alone
- 1292.7%Black alone
- 440.9%Two or more races
- 290.6%Asian alone
- 230.5%American Indian alone
- 40.08%Other race alone
- 10.02%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Houston vs. Dallas (12939 replies)|
|The big lesson from Austin’s City Council elections (313 replies)|
|Ronnie Coleman Classic winners 2013? (3 replies)|
|Those notorious deserts. How Texas became notorious for its nearly nonexistent deserts (74 replies)|
|Austin is slowly dying from heart disease (211 replies)|
|Any opinons on Coleman homes (3 replies)|
Latest news from Coleman, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (17.4%), United States (10.9%), German (9.5%), Irish (8.4%), Scotch-Irish (1.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1703 feet
Land area: 6.16 square miles.
Population density: 733 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Coleman:
- High school or higher: 79.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.6%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Coleman city:
- Never married: 24.3%
- Now married: 55.2%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 11.0%
16 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 26 registered sex offenders living in Coleman, Texas as of August 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Coleman to the number of sex offenders is 176 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $722 (1.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $523 (1.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Abilene, TX (46.7 miles , pop. 115,930).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fort Worth, TX (137.6 miles , pop. 534,694).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (168.2 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Santa Anna, TX (2.9 miles ), Talpa, TX (3.6 miles ), Novice, TX (4.0 miles) , Bangs, TX (4.4 miles ), Lake Brownwood, TX (4.4 miles ), Thunderbird Bay, TX (4.9 miles ), May, TX (5.1 miles ), Cross Plains, TX (5.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $140,000
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $58,100
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $96,700
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $30,000
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $54,600
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $86,500
- 2004: 6 buildings, average cost: $84,200
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $12,000
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $12,000
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $12,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $12,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $12,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $12,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $12,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $200,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 31.83 N, Longitude: 99.43 W
Area code: 325
|Crime rates in Coleman by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||59.6||125.9||167.8||191.3||261.1||256.1||364.1||249.1||222.2||356.4||226.2||290.0||281.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Coleman detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.76|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -283 (-5.2%).
- Construction (24%)
- Transportation and warehousing (23%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Health care and social assistance (8%)
- Manufacturing (3%)
- Health care and social assistance (35%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (20%)
- Transportation occupations (18%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (15%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (3%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (14%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (12%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Personal care and service occupations (9%)
- Transportation occupations (7%)
Average climate in Coleman, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Coleman-area historical tornado activity is near Texas state average. It is 24% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/19/1976, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 22.2 miles away from the Coleman city center injured 11 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/13/1975, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 0.3 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and injured 5 people.
Earthquake activity:Coleman-area historical earthquake activity is near Texas state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 114.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 256.9 miles away from Coleman center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 218.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 222.7 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 261.3 miles away from Coleman center
On 4/28/1998 at 14:13:01, a magnitude 4.2 (3.9 MB, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 212.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Coleman County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Hurricanes: 3, Storms: 3, Floods: 2, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Ronnie Dunn - Country singer, Bill Brown (baseball) - Baseball player, Carobeth Laird - Anthropologist, Charles Johnston (umpire) - Baseball player, Robert Sterling Arnold - Composer.
Hospitals and medical centers in Coleman:
- COLEMAN COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER COMPANY (Government - Hospital District or Authority, provides emergency services, 310 SOUTH PECOS STREET)
- OVERALL-MORRIS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (310 S PECOS ST)
- COLEMAN CARE CENTER HOLIDAY HILL INC (WINTERS HIGHWAY 153)
- COLEMAN HEALTHCARE CENTER (2713 S COMMERCIAL AVE)
- HOLIDAY HILL INC (245 STATE HWY #153 WEST)
- LEISURE LODGE (2713 COMMERCIAL AVE)
Airports located in Coleman:
- Coleman Municipal Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 2,505, Local Ops: 4,995)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Coleman:
- Cisco College (about 48 miles; Cisco, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,687)
- Abilene Christian University (about 48 miles; Abilene, TX; FT enrollment: 4,025)
- Angelo State University (about 67 miles; San Angelo, TX; FT enrollment: 6,019)
- Tarleton State University (about 76 miles; Stephenville, TX; FT enrollment: 8,882)
- Central Texas College (about 108 miles; Killeen, TX; FT enrollment: 15,911)
- Weatherford College (about 115 miles; Weatherford, TX; FT enrollment: 4,080)
- Howard College (about 123 miles; Big Spring, TX; FT enrollment: 2,587)
Public high school in Coleman:
- Coleman High School (Students: 275; Location: 201 W 15TH; Grades: 9-12; Our rating: 44)
Public elementary/middle schools in Coleman:
Notable location: Coleman Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Coleman include: First Presbyterian Church (A), United Pentecostal Church (B), Trinity United Methodist Church (C), Sims Chapel Methodist Church (D), Coleman Church of the Nazarene (E), Mount Calvary Church of God in Christ (F), Church of Christ (G), Sacred Heart Catholic Church (H), First Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Old City Lake (A), Soil Conservation Service Site 38a Reservoir (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Coleman include: Mills Park (1), Coleman City Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Budget Inn (2802 North Highway 84), Best Western Coleman Inn (1401 Highway 84 Bypass), Economy Inn (1513 N Neches St).
(22.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 3.9% for Black residents, 61.7% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 29.4% for American Indian residents, 19.6% for other race residents, 0.9% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
3 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers in 2010
35 people in nursing homes in 2000
11 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Coleman compared to Texas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Coleman (2011 data):
- Coleman County State Bank: at 118 West Pecan Street, Drive-In Branch, Www.Colemanbank.com. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $78.5 mil, Deposits: $70.4 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Coleman Bancshares, Inc.
- InterBank: Coleman Branch at 100 Commercial Avenue, branch established on 1932/02/02. Info updated 2011/08/30: Bank assets: $1,842.7 mil, Deposits: $1,589.2 mil, headquarters in Oklahoma City, OK, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 33 total offices, Holding Company: Olney Bancshares Of Texas, Inc.
- Citibank, National Association: 516 Commercial Branch at 516 Commercial, branch established on 1927/01/01. Info updated 2012/01/10: Bank assets: $1,288,658.0 mil, Deposits: $882,541.0 mil, headquarters in Sioux Falls, SD, positive income, International Specialization, 1048 total offices, Holding Company: Citigroup Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (52%)
- Electricity (43%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Coleman city (based on Coleman County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Coleman County:||2.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Coleman County:||1.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Coleman County:||8.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||12||$26,003||$26,003||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$2,721||$32,652||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||11||$33,062||$36,068||0||$0|
|Police - Other||5||$10,507||$25,217||1||$1,052|
|Streets and Highways||7||$15,248||$26,139||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||5||$12,522||$30,053||2||$937|
|Other and Unallocable||3||$6,935||$27,740||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||77||$193,990||$30,232||6||$4,827|
Coleman government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Fire Protection: $9,000 ($1.99)
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $3,209,000 ($710.27)
Water Utilities: $979,000 ($216.69)
Solid Waste Management: $428,000 ($94.73)
Regular Highways: $415,000 ($91.85)
Police Protection: $410,000 ($90.75)
Sewerage: $360,000 ($79.68)
Fire Protection: $201,000 ($44.49)
Financial Administration: $153,000 ($33.86)
Parks & Recreation: $107,000 ($23.68)
General Public Buildings: $100,000 ($22.13)
Air Transportation: $84,000 ($18.59)
Libraries: $74,000 ($16.38)
Judicial and Legal Services: $67,000 ($14.83)
Protective Inspection and Regulation, NEC: $40,000 ($8.85)
Central Staff Services: $18,000 ($3.98)
- Electric Utilities - Interest on Debt: $219,000 ($48.47)
- Other Capital Outlay - Financial Administration: $4,000 ($0.89)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,660,000 ($367.42)
Coleman government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Air Transportation: $30,000 ($6.64)
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $465,000 ($102.92)
Sewerage: $414,000 ($91.63)
Parks & Recreation: $15,000 ($3.32)
- Federal Intergovernmental - Water Utilities: $352,000 ($77.91)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $208,000 ($46.04)
Interest Earnings: $68,000 ($15.05)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $3,792,000 ($839.31)
Water Utilities: $860,000 ($190.35)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $564,000 ($124.83)
Property: $107,000 ($23.68)
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $2,000 ($0.44)
Coleman government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Electric Utilities: $2,870,000 ($635.24)
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Electric Utilities: $2,810,000 ($621.96)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Electric Utilities: $5,575,000 ($1233.95)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Electric Utilities: $105,000 ($23.24)
Coleman government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $0 ($0.00)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $2,324,000 ($514.39)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $0 ($0.00)
6.72% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,468 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
7.61% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,433 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Coleman:
- KSTA (1000 AM; daytime; 0 kW; COLEMAN, TX; Owner: WATTS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KEAN (1470 AM; 5 kW; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KGKL (960 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KXYL (1240 AM; 1 kW; BROWNWOOD, TX; Owner: WATTS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Coleman:
- KXCT (102.3 FM; COLEMAN, TX; Owner: WATTS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KXYL-FM (96.9 FM; BROWNWOOD, TX; Owner: WATTS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KEYJ-FM (107.9 FM; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KOXE (101.3 FM; BROWNWOOD, TX; Owner: BROWN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO.)
- KHPU (91.7 FM; BROWNWOOD, TX; Owner: HOWARD PAYNE UNIVERSITY)
- KELI (98.7 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KPSM (99.3 FM; BROWNWOOD, TX; Owner: LIVING WORD CHURCH OF BROWNWOOD, INC.)
- KGNZ (88.1 FM; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Coleman:
- KLST (Channel 8; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: JEWELL TELEVISION CORPORATION)
- KXVA (Channel 15; ABILENE, TX; Owner: STAR BROADCASTING LIMITED)
- KTAB-TV (Channel 32; ABILENE, TX; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF ABILENE, LLC)
- KKCP-LP (Channel 50; BALLINGER-COLEMAN, TX; Owner: PRIME TIME CHRISTIAN B/CING., INC.)
- KPTC-LP (Channel 48; CISCO, TX; Owner: PRIME TIME CHRISTIAN B/CING., INC.)
- KIDU-LP (Channel 56; BROWNWOOD, TX; Owner: SAGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- K26AP (Channel 26; BROWNWOOD, TX; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 38m125ftTotal length
- 6,100Total average daily traffic
- 1,158Total average daily truck traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 44 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Coleman, TX)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 5 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 24 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Coleman)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 30 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Coleman)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 123
- Hazardous Condition: 7
Incident types - Coleman
|Most common first names in Coleman, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Coleman, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Coleman, TX|
|Best Western||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
Coleman on our top lists:
- #42 on the list of "Top 100 cities with lowest ratio of median house value to median household income (pop. 5,000+)"
- #72 on the list of "Top 100 cities with declining populations from 2000 to 2008 (pop. 5,000+)"
- #18 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.