Columbia Falls, Maine
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.0 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04623.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $23,565 (it was $14,723 in 2000)
Columbia Falls town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $107,715 (it was $64,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $148,176; Detached houses: $165,160; Townhouses or other attached units: $116,928; In 2-unit structures: $179,771; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $237,952; Mobile homes: $61,717; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $45,219
Races in Columbia Falls, ME (2010)
- 54096.4%White alone
- 71.3%Two or more races
- 30.5%Asian alone
- 20.4%American Indian alone
|Christmas in Maine - Lights/Displays (10 replies)|
|Where in Maine Would You Live if You Could? (98 replies)|
|Maine Vacation Ideas (40 replies)|
|Sales Tax Demand - Online (30 replies)|
|Veterans' Memorial Tree in Bar Harbor Voted Out 4-2 (5 replies)|
|Jonesport...in 3 words or less (35 replies)|
Latest news from Columbia Falls, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Columbia Falls, ME City Guides:
Ancestries: English (34.7%), Irish (20.2%), United States (9.8%), French (8.2%), Scottish (6.2%), German (5.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/25/1863
Elevation: 75 feet
Land area: 24.5 square miles.
Population density: 23 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Columbia Falls:
- High school or higher: 83.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.5%
- Unemployed: 14.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Columbia Falls town:
- Never married: 17.7%
- Now married: 64.7%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 9.4%
18 residents are foreign born (1.2% Asia, 1.0% North America, 0.8% Europe).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Columbia Falls, Maine as of December 11, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Columbia Falls to the number of sex offenders is 280 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Columbia Falls town:||1.2% ($760)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (144.1 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (234.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (408.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Centerville, ME (2.1 miles) , Columbia, ME (2.3 miles ), Jonesboro, ME (2.5 miles ), Harrington, ME (2.6 miles ), Addison, ME (2.7 miles ), Whitneyville, ME (3.2 miles ), Jonesport, ME (3.2 miles ), Cherryfield, ME (3.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $48,000
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $48,000
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $54,700
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $80,000
- 2004: 4 buildings, average cost: $37,800
- 2006: 5 buildings, average cost: $93,200
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2012: 4 buildings, average cost: $191,800
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $40,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.66 N, Longitude: 67.72 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (26%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (20%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Food (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Health care (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (7%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (5%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (11%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Construction laborers (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Columbia Falls, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Columbia Falls-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 30.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 295.7 miles away from Columbia Falls center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 208.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 331.3 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 89.6 miles away from Columbia Falls center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 49.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Snows: 5, Winds: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Irv Young - Major League Baseball pitcher.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Columbia Falls:
- University of Maine (about 50 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 54 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 105 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 120 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 143 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 145 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 149 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
Notable locations in Columbia Falls: Central District (A), Ruggles House Museum (B), Columbia Falls Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Swamps: Marst Heath (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Tenney Brook (A), Sherb Brook (B), Little River (C), Marst Brook (D), Johnny B Brook (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 79.5. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 32.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 10.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Columbia Falls town (based on Washington County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||4.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||1.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||9.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
4.44% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,571 average adjusted gross income)
0.14% of residents moved from foreign countries ($798 average AGI)
Washington County: 0.14% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.56% ($25,985 average AGI)|
|from Hancock County, ME||0.38% ($33,364)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.29% ($38,176)|
4.37% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,225 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Columbia Falls:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Columbia Falls:
- WNSX (97.7 FM; WINTER HARBOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WBQI (107.7 FM; BAR HARBOR, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WALZ-FM (95.3 FM; MACHIAS, ME; Owner: WILLIAM MCVICAR & ROGER HOLST, GEN. PARTNERSHIP)
- WWMJ (95.7 FM; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WLKE (99.1 FM; BAR HARBOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMED (89.7 FM; CALAIS, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Columbia Falls fatal accident list:
Sep 15, 1992 03:45 PM, 1, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Dec 14, 1979 05:15 AM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 5m16ftTotal length
- 4,326Total average daily traffic
- 379Total average daily truck traffic
- 6,112Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 15 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Columbia Falls)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Columbia Falls and their reported violations in the past:ELMERS COUNTRY STORE (Population served: 100, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:ALLEN WATER COMPANY (Address: 34 POINT STREET , Population served: 68, Groundwater):
- 3 routine major monitoring violations
Past monitoring violations:
- One routine major monitoring violation
- 16 regular monitoring violations
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (82%)
- Wood (12%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Solar energy (1%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Businesses in Columbia Falls, ME
- Curves: 1
Columbia Falls compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2017.