We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||40.0 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04623.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $23,267 (it was $14,537 in 2000)
Columbia town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $102,522 (it was $61,200 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $148,176; Detached houses: $165,160; Townhouses or other attached units: $116,928; In 2-unit structures: $179,771; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $237,952; Mobile homes: $61,717; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $45,219
Races in Columbia, ME (2010)
- 47196.9%White alone
- 30.6%Asian alone
|Days after minimum wage rises, Maine diner near nh cuts staff hours. (184 replies)|
|Constitutional Carry and hunting with suppressors now law (68 replies)|
|LePage: "Bring back the guillotine" (90 replies)|
|Why is Maine a poor state? (241 replies)|
|Deciding between Maine and Washington (34 replies)|
|Augusta ?'s about revitalization (22 replies)|
Latest news from Columbia, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Columbia, ME City Guides:
Ancestries: English (36.8%), Irish (26.1%), United States (10.5%), French (7.0%), Swedish (5.7%), Italian (4.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 02/08/1796
Elevation: 100 feet
Land area: 36.0 square miles.
Population density: 14 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Columbia:
- High school or higher: 82.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 8.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Columbia town:
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 48.2%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 19.7%
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Columbia, Maine as of October 18, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Columbia to the number of sex offenders is 104 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Columbia town:||1.3% ($808)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (139.3 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (229.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (404.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Harrington, ME (2.0 miles ), Columbia Falls, ME (2.3 miles ), Cherryfield, ME (2.5 miles ), Addison, ME (3.0 miles ), Centerville, ME (3.0 miles) , Milbridge, ME (3.0 miles ), Deblois, ME (3.1 miles) , Jonesboro, ME (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 44.65 N, Longitude: 67.82 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (34%)
- Construction (17%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Food (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Truck transportation (3%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (3%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Health care (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Social assistance (9%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (4%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (12%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (10%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
Average climate in Columbia, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Columbia-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 26.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 290.6 miles away from Columbia center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 203.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 326.2 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 84.5 miles away from Columbia center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 48.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Snows: 5, Winds: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Columbia:
- University of Maine (about 46 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 50 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 100 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 115 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 139 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 140 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 144 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
Notable locations in Columbia: Columbia Volunteer Fire Department (A), Pleasant River Ambulance (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Columbia: Little River Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Mailey Hill Cemetery (1), Columbia Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Coffin Brook Pond (A), Myers Ponds (B), Schoodic Lake (C), Silica Ponds (D), Pigeon Hill Heath (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Western Little River (A), Trout Brook (B), Bells Brook (C), Dorr Brook (D), Flanders Little Brook (E), Great Marsh Stream (F), Hay Branch (G), Heath Brook (H), Mud Hole Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 79.5. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 32.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Banks with branches in Columbia (2011 data):
- Machias Savings Bank: Columbia Branch at 357 Us Highway 1, branch established on 1986/01/27. Info updated 2008/08/20: Bank assets: $933.5 mil, Deposits: $794.5 mil, headquarters in Machias, ME, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 13 total offices, Holding Company: Machias Bancorp, Mhc
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Columbia town (based on Washington County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||4.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||1.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||9.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
4.44% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,571 average adjusted gross income)
0.14% of residents moved from foreign countries ($798 average AGI)
Washington County: 0.14% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.56% ($25,985 average AGI)|
|from Hancock County, ME||0.38% ($33,364)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.29% ($38,176)|
4.37% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,225 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Columbia:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Columbia:
- WNSX (97.7 FM; WINTER HARBOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBQI (107.7 FM; BAR HARBOR, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WWMJ (95.7 FM; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMEH (90.9 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLKE (99.1 FM; BAR HARBOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WERU-FM (89.9 FM; BLUE HILL, ME; Owner: SALT POND COMMUNITY B/C COMPANY)
- WEZQ (92.9 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WALZ-FM (95.3 FM; MACHIAS, ME; Owner: WILLIAM MCVICAR & ROGER HOLST, GEN. PARTNERSHIP)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 6m20ftTotal length
- 541Total average daily traffic
- 24Total average daily truck traffic
- 813Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Columbia Fire Station (Lat: 44.691194 Lon: -67.775833), Call Sign: KNAI241
Assigned Frequencies: 154.995 MHzGrant Date: 01/04/2011, Expiration Date: 03/14/2021Registrant: Pct Communications, 483 North St, Calais, ME 04619, Phone: (207) 454-2174, Fax: (207) 454-7050, Email:
- Fire Station (Lat: 44.691194 Lon: -67.775833), Call Sign: WGI712
Assigned Frequencies: 453.325 MHzGrant Date: 01/04/2011, Expiration Date: 03/14/2021Registrant: Pct Communications, 483 North St, Calais, ME 04619, Phone: (207) 454-2174, Fax: (207) 454-7050, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: N1JBI, Licensee ID: L00334872, Grant Date: 03/12/2001, Expiration Date: 05/21/2011, Cancellation Date: 05/22/2013, Registrant: James L Corliss, Rfd 1 Box 43b, Columbia, ME 04623
- Call Sign: N1XRW, Licensee ID: L00428158, Grant Date: 06/28/2006, Expiration Date: 07/30/2016, Certifier: Richard W Miller, Registrant: Richard W Miller, 55 Saco Rd, Columbia, ME 04623
- Call Sign: N1ZDK, Grant Date: 05/02/1997, Expiration Date: 05/02/2007, Cancellation Date: 05/05/2009, Registrant: Paul J Favolise Jr, Rr 1 Box 40 A Farnsworth Rd, Columbia, ME 04623
- Call Sign: KC1BHT, Licensee ID: L01845872, Grant Date: 02/27/2014, Expiration Date: 02/27/2024, Certifier: Patricia A Favolise, Registrant: Patricia A Favolise, 115 Farnsworth Rd, Columbia, ME 04623
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (83%)
- Wood (13%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
Columbia compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.