Columbus City, Iowa
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||42.2 years|
|Iowa median age:||38.1 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $21,596 (it was $12,468 in 2000)
Columbus City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $80,375 (it was $49,200 in 2000)
Races in Columbus City, IA (2010)
- 21154.0%White alone
- 123.1%Asian alone
- 20.5%Other race alone
- 20.5%Two or more races
Latest news from Columbus City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (7.2%), American (6.6%), English (3.1%), Irish (2.1%), Scottish (1.7%), Welsh (1.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 11/26/1870
Land area: 0.23 square miles.
Population density: 1,601 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Columbus City:
- High school or higher: 65.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 2.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Columbus City city:
- Never married: 25.1%
- Now married: 60.4%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 4.5%
- Divorced: 9.4%
101 residents are foreign born (23.5% Latin America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $985 (1.2%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $1,057 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Iowa City, IA (28.6 miles , pop. 62,220).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (161.5 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (195.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Columbus Junction, IA (1.2 miles ), Fredonia, IA (1.6 miles ), Cotter, IA (2.3 miles) , Conesville, IA (2.9 miles ), Letts, IA (3.0 miles ), Crawfordsville, IA (3.0 miles ), Ainsworth, IA (3.1 miles ), Winfield, IA (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 41.26 N, Longitude: 91.38 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 319
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (39%)
- Transportation and warehousing (17%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Construction (5%)
- Retail trade (4%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Manufacturing (33%)
- Health care and social assistance (28%)
- Other services, except public administration (15%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Construction (4%)
- Information (3%)
- Production occupations (34%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (14%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (10%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Fire fighting and prevention, and other protective service workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (5%)
- Production occupations (24%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (12%)
- Personal care and service occupations (9%)
- Community and social service occupations (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (8%)
- Material moving occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (7%)
Average climate in Columbus City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Columbus City-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 78% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/1/2007, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.7 miles away from the Columbus City city center injured 7 people and caused $16 million in damages.
On 6/7/1984, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 33.2 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 64 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Columbus City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Iowa state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 268.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 250.1 miles away from Columbus City center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 129.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 296.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 299.7 miles away from Columbus City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 268.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Louisa County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 15, Storms: 10, Tornadoes: 4, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Columbus City:
- COLONIAL MANOR OF COLUMBUS JUNCTION (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; COLUMBUS JUNCTION, IA)
- SUNRISE TERRACE NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; WINFIELD, IA)
- LOUISA COUNTY PHNS (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; WAPELLO, IA)
- MORNING SUN CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; MORNING SUN, IA)
- LONE TREE HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; LONE TREE, IA)
- UNITED PRESBYTERIAN HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; WASHINGTON, IA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Columbus City:
- University of Iowa (about 30 miles; Iowa City, IA; Full-time enrollment: 24,735)
- Southeastern Community College (about 33 miles; West Burlington, IA; FT enrollment: 2,251)
- Eastern Iowa Community College District (about 46 miles; Davenport, IA; FT enrollment: 5,507)
- Saint Ambrose University (about 46 miles; Davenport, IA; FT enrollment: 3,053)
- Augustana College (about 46 miles; Rock Island, IL; FT enrollment: 2,555)
- Kirkwood Community College (about 48 miles; Cedar Rapids, IA; FT enrollment: 11,503)
- Kaplan University-Davenport Campus (about 48 miles; Davenport, IA; FT enrollment: 60,376)
Notable location: Columbus City Hall (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Columbus City include: United Methodist Church (A), Free Methodist Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Columbus City Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 74.0. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2013 was 2.20. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 20.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 10.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.8 miles away from the city center.
(6.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 11.7% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||2.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Columbus City city (based on Louisa County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Louisa County:||4.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Louisa County:||0.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||0.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Louisa County:||6.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Columbus City, IA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||14||$860|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,977||$35,724||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||4||$217|
|Totals for Government||2||$5,954||$35,724||20||$1,281|
6.01% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,157 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Muscatine County, IA||1.40% ($31,508 average AGI)|
|from Marion County, IN||0.66% ($27,500)|
|from Des Moines County, IA||0.62% ($26,500)|
5.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,207 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Columbus City:
- WSUI (910 AM; 5 kW; IOWA CITY, IA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA)
- KCJJ (1630 AM; 10 kW; IOWA CITY, IA; Owner: RIVER CITY RADIO, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WMT (600 AM; 5 kW; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WKBF (1270 AM; 5 kW; ROCK ISLAND, IL; Owner: MERCURY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Columbus City:
- KBEA-FM (99.7 FM; MUSCATINE, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KSUI (91.7 FM; IOWA CITY, IA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA)
- KWCC (93.1 FM; MUSCATINE, IA; Owner: WPW BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKNL (97.3 FM; NEW LONDON, IA; Owner: PRITCHARD BROADCASTING CO.)
- KRNA (94.1 FM; IOWA CITY, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KCII-FM (106.1 FM; WASHINGTON, IA; Owner: HOME BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KILJ-FM (105.5 FM; MOUNT PLEASANT, IA; Owner: KILJ, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Columbus City:
- KWKB (Channel 20; IOWA CITY, IA; Owner: KM TELEVISION OF IOWA, L.L.C.)
- KIIN (Channel 12; IOWA CITY, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- KGWB-TV (Channel 26; BURLINGTON, IA; Owner: BURLINGTON TELEVISION ACQUISITION CORP.)
- KYOU-TV (Channel 15; OTTUMWA, IA; Owner: WAITT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K16EL (Channel 66; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KWQC-TV (Channel 6; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF DAVENPORT, INC.)
- K62FU (Channel 62; MUSCATINE, IA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- K13MN (Channel 13; WASHINGTON, IA; Owner: KGAN LICENSEE, LLC)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
- Hazardous Condition: 1
|Most common first names in Columbus City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Columbus City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (87%)
- Electricity (12%)
Columbus City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.