Cooke City-Silver Gate, Montana
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||43.4 years|
|Montana median age:||37.5 years|
Zip code: 59020
|Cooke City-Silver Gate:||$35,337|
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $52,217 (it was $31,618 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $396,418 (it was $162,500 in 2000)
|Cooke City-Silver Gate:||$396,418|
Races in Cooke City-Silver Gate, MT (2000)
- 13797.9%White alone
- 10.7%Black alone
- 10.7%American Indian alone
- 10.7%Two or more races
|Visiting Montana (9 replies)|
Ancestries: German (25.7%), Irish (14.3%), French (9.3%), Norwegian (8.6%), Dutch (7.1%), English (5.7%).
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Land area: 9.99 square miles.
Population density: 14 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Cooke City-Silver Gate:
- High school or higher: 75.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 8.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 6.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cooke City-Silver Gate CDP:
- Never married: 34.4%
- Now married: 36.9%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 5.7%
- Divorced: 21.3%
2 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Cooke City-Silver Gate CDP:||0.5% ($825)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Billings, MT (86.4 miles , pop. 89,847).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: West Adams, CO (436.0 miles , pop. 259,628).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (802.8 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Cooke City, MT (0.5 miles) , Silver Gate, MT (1.6 miles) , Gardiner-Cooke City, MT (5.4 miles ), Roscoe, MT (5.6 miles) , Jardine, MT (5.8 miles) , Red Lodge, MT (6.0 miles ), Mammoth, WY (6.1 miles ), Gardiner, MT (6.2 miles ).
Latitude: 45.02 N, Longitude: 109.94 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 406
Unemployment by year (%)
- Accommodation and food services (57%)
- Construction (9%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Furniture and home furnishings, and household appliance stores (4%)
- Gasoline stations (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (85%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Gasoline stations (5%)
- U. S. Postal service (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (21%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (19%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Construction laborers (9%)
- Top executives (4%)
- Engineers (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (31%)
- Waiters and waitresses (21%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (10%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Top executives (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (5%)
Average climate in Cooke City-Silver Gate, Montana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Cooke City-Silver Gate-area historical earthquake activity is near Montana state average. It is 43% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 47.0 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 201.2 miles away from Cooke City-Silver Gate center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 6/30/1975 at 18:54:13, a magnitude 6.1 (5.6 MB, 5.9 MS, 6.1 UK, 6.1 ML, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 45.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 494.7 miles away from the city center
On 7/26/2005 at 04:08:37, a magnitude 5.7 (5.7 MB, 5.2 MS, 5.6 MW, Depth: 8.0 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 131.1 miles away from Cooke City-Silver Gate center
On 3/28/1975 at 02:31:05, a magnitude 6.2 (6.1 MB, 6.0 MS, 6.2 ML) earthquake occurred 243.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Park County (7) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 3, Fires: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Cooke City-Silver Gate:
- Montana State University (about 71 miles; Bozeman, MT; Full-time enrollment: 12,942)
- Montana State University-Billings (about 88 miles; Billings, MT; FT enrollment: 4,319)
- Brigham Young University-Idaho (about 124 miles; Rexburg, ID; FT enrollment: 30,522)
- Sheridan College (about 148 miles; Sheridan, WY; FT enrollment: 2,070)
- Idaho State University (about 194 miles; Pocatello, ID; FT enrollment: 10,350)
- The University of Montana (about 233 miles; Missoula, MT; FT enrollment: 13,602)
- Casper College (about 236 miles; Casper, WY; FT enrollment: 2,770)
Notable locations in Cooke City-Silver Gate: Cooke Ranger Station (A), Big Moose Resort (B), Soda Butte Campground (C), Colter Campground (D), Chief Joseph Campground (E), Cooke City Fire Department (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Cooke City-Silver Gate include: Saint Johns Catholic Church (A), Mount Republic Chapel of Peace (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Cooke City Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Broadwater River (A), Sheep Creek (B), West Fork Clarks Fork (C), Fisher Creek (D), Lady of the Lake Creek (E), Miller Creek (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||1.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Cooke City-Silver Gate CDP (based on Park County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Park County:||2.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Montana:||2.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Park County:||6.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||16.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||10.38 / 10,000 pop.|
7.33% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($40,318 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Gallatin County, MT||1.42% ($34,522 average AGI)|
|from Yellowstone County, MT||0.36% ($31,391)|
|from Park County, WY||0.28% ($42,333)|
7.91% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,709 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Cooke City-Silver Gate:
- KGVW (640 AM; 10 kW; BELGRADE, MT; Owner: GALLATIN VALLEY WITNESS, INC.)
- KPOW (1260 AM; 5 kW; POWELL, WY; Owner: CHAPARRAL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KBOZ (1090 AM; 5 kW; BOZEMAN, MT; Owner: REIER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KGHL (790 AM; 5 kW; BILLINGS, MT; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- KERR (750 AM; 50 kW; POLSON, MT; Owner: ANDERSON RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KURL (730 AM; 5 kW; BILLINGS, MT; Owner: ELENBAAS MEDIA, INC.)
- KZMQ (1140 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREYBULL, WY; Owner: LEGEND COMMUNICATIONS OF WYOMING LLC)
- KTWO (1030 AM; 50 kW; CASPER, WY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KALL (700 AM; 50 kW; NORTH SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KBUL (970 AM; 5 kW; BILLINGS, MT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KBOI (670 AM; 50 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KUYO (830 AM; daytime; 25 kW; EVANSVILLE, WY; Owner: WYOMING CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KIQN (1010 AM; 50 kW; TOOELE, UT)
Strongest FM radio stations in Cooke City-Silver Gate:
- KMXE (99.3 FM; RED LODGE, MT; Owner: SILVER ROCK COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- KCGL (104.1 FM; POWELL, WY; Owner: LEGEND COMMUNICATIONS OF WYOMING, LLC)
- KTAG (97.9 FM; CODY, WY; Owner: LEGEND COMMUNICATIONS OF WYOMING, LLC)
- K233AC (94.5 FM; CODY, WY; Owner: WESTERN INSPIRATIONAL BROADCASTERS, INC)
- KLZY (92.5 FM; POWELL, WY; Owner: CHAPARRAL BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Cooke City-Silver Gate:
- K11GE (Channel 11; COOKE CITY, ETC., MT; Owner: SHOO FLY TV TRANSLATOR STATION ASSN.)
- K13FW (Channel 13; COOKE CITY, ETC., MT; Owner: SHOO FLY TV TRANSLATOR STATION ASSN.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 3m10ftTotal length
- 250Total average daily traffic
- 6Total average daily truck traffic
- 315Total future (year 2034) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (59%)
- Wood (38%)
- Electricity (3%)
Cooke City-Silver Gate compared to Montana state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.