|Median resident age:||47.8 years|
|North Carolina median age:||45.5 years|
Zip codes: 28523.
Cove City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $77,713 (it was $57,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $575.
- White alone - 211 (52.9%)
- Black alone - 175 (43.9%)
- Hispanic - 9 (2.3%)
- American Indian alone - 2 (0.5%)
- Two or more races - 2 (0.5%)
|old hwy 70 through dover (70 bypass) -- date built? (2 replies)|
|New Bern, NC - Meeting people (10 replies)|
Latest news from Cove City, NC collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (12.3%), Subsaharan African (6.3%), English (5.6%), Irish (3.1%), German (2.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 47 feet
Land area: 0.64 square miles.
Population density: 625 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Cove City:
- High school or higher: 82.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cove City town:
- Never married: 32.1%
- Now married: 50.6%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 10.1%
- Divorced: 4.9%
According to our research of North Carolina and other state lists there were 8 registered sex offenders living in Cove City, North Carolina as of April 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Cove City to the number of sex offenders is 50 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $571 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $466 (0.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Greenville, NC (28.8 miles , pop. 60,476).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Raleigh, NC (86.4 miles , pop. 276,093).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (353.4 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Dover, NC (2.6 miles ), Trenton, NC (3.0 miles ), Vanceboro, NC (3.5 miles ), River Bend, NC (3.5 miles ), Pollocksville, NC (3.7 miles ), Grifton, NC (3.8 miles ), Trent Woods, NC (3.9 miles ), New Bern, NC (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 35.19 N, Longitude: 77.32 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 252
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (26%)
- Public administration (19%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Finance and insurance (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (41%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
- Woodworkers (8%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Top executives (4%)
- Other protective service workers including supervisors (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (16%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (11%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (8%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Food processing workers (5%)
- Other healthcare support occupations (4%)
Average climate in Cove City, North Carolina
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Cove City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above North Carolina state average. It is 2% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/28/1984, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 27.7 miles away from the Cove City town center killed 16 people and injured 153 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 3/28/1984, a category F4 tornado 34.9 miles away from the town center killed 3 people and injured 149 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Cove City-area historical earthquake activity is below North Carolina state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/9/2003 at 20:59:14, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, 4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 169.1 miles away from the city center
On 8/6/1994 at 19:54:09, a magnitude 3.8 (3.6 LG, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 33.3 miles away from Cove City center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 226.3 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 308.1 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1992 at 16:31:55, a magnitude 4.4 (4.1 MB, 4.1 LG, 4.4 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 217.9 miles away from Cove City center
On 11/11/2002 at 23:39:29, a magnitude 4.4 (4.0 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 1.5 mi) earthquake occurred 244.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Craven County (16) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 12, Floods: 2, Storms: 2, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tornado: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Cove City:
- RHA/HOWELL'S CHILD CARE CENTER-RIVERBEND (Hospital, about 13 miles away; NEW BERN, NC)
- BAYVIEW NURSING AND REHAB CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; NEW BERN, NC)
- LIFE, INC LAVENHAM GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 14 miles away; NEW BERN, NC)
- TAR HEEL HOME HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; POLLOCKSVILLE, NC)
- CRAVEN SURGERY CENTER (Hospital, about 14 miles away; NEW BERN, NC)
- CRAVEN CO HEALTH DEPT (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; NEW BERN, NC)
- LIFE, INC OAKDALE HOME (Hospital, about 15 miles away; NEW BERN, NC)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Cove City:
- Craven Community College (about 14 miles; New Bern, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,712)
- Lenoir Community College (about 15 miles; Kinston, NC; FT enrollment: 2,555)
- Pitt Community College (about 26 miles; Winterville, NC; FT enrollment: 7,026)
- Coastal Carolina Community College (about 29 miles; Jacksonville, NC; FT enrollment: 4,502)
- East Carolina University (about 30 miles; Greenville, NC; FT enrollment: 23,943)
- Wayne Community College (about 39 miles; Goldsboro, NC; FT enrollment: 3,174)
- Mount Olive College (about 43 miles; Mount Olive, NC; FT enrollment: 3,097)
Public elementary/middle school in Cove City:
- James W Smith Elementary (Location: 150 Koonce Town Road; Grades: KG-5)
Church in Cove City: Bryants Chapel (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: A Day at the Farm (Tours & Charters; 183 Woodrow McCoy Road).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 62.9. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 7.64. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.3 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Cove City and their reported violations in the past:COVE CITY, TOWN OF (Population served: 440, Purch groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2013 and SEP-2013, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (JAN-01-2014), St Public Notif requested (JAN-14-2014), St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JAN-14-2014), St Formal NOV issued (JAN-14-2014)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JAN-01-1999, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (MAR-25-2002), St Public Notif requested (MAR-25-2002), St Intentional no-action (JUL-15-2010), St Compliance achieved (JUL-15-2010)
- One routine major monitoring violation
(19.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 3.3% for Black residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.4 people|
|North Carolina:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Cove City compared to North Carolina state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (67%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (25%)
- Utility gas (4%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Cove City town (based on Craven County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 43.34%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Original Free Will Baptists||Presbyterian Church (USA)|
|Name||Episcopal Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||LDS (Mormon) Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Craven County:||2.39 / 10,000 pop.|
|North Carolina:||2.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Craven County:||0.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|North Carolina:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Craven County:||5.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$3,180||$38,160||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||2||$1,417|
|Totals for Government||1||$3,180||$38,160||4||$2,956|
Cove City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $32,000 ($80.40)
Central Staff Services: $24,000 ($60.30)
Sewerage: $22,000 ($55.28)
Water Utilities: $9,000 ($22.61)
General Public Buildings: $7,000 ($17.59)
General - Other: $1,000 ($2.51)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $18,000 ($45.23)
Cove City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $23,000 ($57.79)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $10,000 ($25.13)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $11,000 ($27.64)
General Revenue, NEC: $2,000 ($5.03)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $10,000 ($25.13)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $16,000 ($40.20)
Highways: $16,000 ($40.20)
- Tax - Property: $17,000 ($42.71)
Motor Vehicle License: $1,000 ($2.51)
Cove City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $517,000 ($1298.99)
10.87% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,254 average adjusted gross income)
|North Carolina average:||7.13%|
0.65% of residents moved from foreign countries ($2,013 average AGI)
Craven County: 0.65% North Carolina average: 0.10%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Carteret County, NC||0.62% ($35,176 average AGI)|
|from Onslow County, NC||0.54% ($31,805)|
|from Pitt County, NC||0.35% ($26,194)|
10.52% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,004 average adjusted gross income)
|North Carolina average:||6.77%|
0.41% of residents moved to foreign countries ($1,735 average AGI)
Craven County: 0.41% North Carolina average: 0.10%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Cove City:
- WSMO (1120 AM; 20 kW; CAMP LEJEUNE, NC; Owner: CTC MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WRNS (960 AM; 5 kW; KINSTON, NC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WNCT (1070 AM; 10 kW; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: WNCT LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPTF (680 AM; 50 kW; RALEIGH, NC; Owner: FIRST STATE COMMUNICATIONS)
- WDLX (930 AM; 5 kW; WASHINGTON, NC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WSTK (910 AM; 5 kW; JACKSONVILLE, NC; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJCV (1290 AM; 5 kW; JACKSONVILLE, NC; Owner: DOWN EAST BROADCASTING CO INC.)
- WFTK (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; WAKE FOREST, NC; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WDJS (1430 AM; 10 kW; MOUNT OLIVE, NC; Owner: MOUNT OLIVE BROADCASTING CO.)
- WGHB (1250 AM; 5 kW; FARMVILLE, NC; Owner: CONNER MEDIA, INC.)
- WTAR (850 AM; 50 kW; NORFOLK, VA; Owner: SINCLAIR COMMUNICATIONS)
- WNOS (1450 AM; 1 kW; NEW BERN, NC; Owner: CTC MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WWNB (1490 AM; 1 kW; NEW BERN, NC; Owner: CTC MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Cove City:
- WERO (93.3 FM; WASHINGTON, NC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WXNR (99.5 FM; GRIFTON, NC; Owner: WXNR LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNCT-FM (107.9 FM; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: WNCT LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WIKS (101.9 FM; NEW BERN, NC; Owner: WIKS LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WSFL-FM (106.5 FM; NEW BERN, NC; Owner: WSFL LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRNS-FM (95.1 FM; KINSTON, NC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WTEB (89.3 FM; NEW BERN, NC; Owner: CRAVEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- WMGV (103.3 FM; NEWPORT, NC; Owner: WMGV LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTRG (100.7 FM; ROCKY MOUNT, NC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNBR (94.1 FM; ORIENTAL, NC; Owner: ABG NORTH CAROLINA, LLC)
- W240AW (95.9 FM; KINSTON, NC; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WCZI (98.3 FM; WASHINGTON, NC; Owner: ABG NORTH CAROLINA, LLC)
- WQZL (101.1 FM; BELHAVEN, NC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WZBR (97.7 FM; KINSTON, NC; Owner: ABG NORTH CAROLINA, LLC)
- WELS-FM (102.9 FM; KINSTON, NC; Owner: KINSTON CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC.)
- WAAE (91.9 FM; NEW BERN, NC; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
TV broadcast stations around Cove City:
- WCTI-TV (Channel 12; NEW BERN, NC; Owner: EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WUNM-TV (Channel 19; JACKSONVILLE, NC; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WITN-TV (Channel 7; WASHINGTON, NC; Owner: WITN LICENSEE CORP.)
- WNCT-TV (Channel 9; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WYDO (Channel 14; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: PIEDMONT TELEVISION OF EASTERN CAROLINA LICENSE LLC)
- WUNK-TV (Channel 25; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- WEPX (Channel 38; GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: PAXSON GREENVILLE LICENSE, INC.)
- W64AZ (Channel 64; KINSTON-GREENVILLE, NC; Owner: GOCOM TELEVISION, L.P.,)
Cove City fatal accident list:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 13
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Incident types - Cove City
|Most common first names in Cove City, NC among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Cove City, NC among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.