Cross City, Florida
Cross City: Dixie County Courthouse
Cross City: The Old Railway Station
Cross City: City Hall
Cross City: Thompson's Store
Cross City: Dragon's Lair Bed & Breakfast, Cross City, Florida
Cross City: Old County Jail
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||32.0 years|
|Florida median age:||42.1 years|
Zip codes: 32628.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $16,908 (it was $12,125 in 2000)
Cross City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $82,019 (it was $39,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $106,049; Detached houses: $124,628; Mobile homes: $47,243
Median gross rent in 2016: $681.
Races in Cross City, FL (2010)
- 1,18668.6%White alone
- 46927.1%Black alone
- 291.7%Two or more races
- 70.4%Asian alone
- 40.2%American Indian alone
|PLEASE stop moving here! (150 replies)|
|Anyone know any nice low traffic back roads to take a drive on? (20 replies)|
|Rural, 'redneck' towns in the Florida Peninsula (39 replies)|
|Should I move to north Florida or go to Alabama (18 replies)|
|Moving To Fanning Springs, Florida (22 replies)|
|Best small town that is stuck in time? (14 replies)|
Latest news from Cross City, FL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (18.4%), English (7.8%), American (6.8%), German (3.4%), French (2.5%), Italian (2.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 42 feet
Land area: 1.90 square miles.
Population density: 892 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Cross City:
- High school or higher: 74.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cross City town:
- Never married: 35.2%
- Now married: 36.0%
- Separated: 3.9%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 17.1%
39 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Florida and other state lists there were 19 registered sex offenders living in Cross City, Florida as of February 20, 2019.
The ratio of number of residents in Cross City to the number of sex offenders is 117 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $677 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Gainesville, FL (47.4 miles , pop. 95,447).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Jacksonville, FL (99.7 miles , pop. 735,617).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (736.2 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Fanning Springs, FL (3.5 miles ), Manattee Road, FL (3.9 miles ), Steinhatchee, FL (4.0 miles ), Andrews, FL (4.0 miles ), Horseshoe Beach, FL (4.1 miles ), Bell, FL (4.2 miles ), Trenton, FL (4.3 miles ), Chiefland, FL (4.4 miles ).
Latitude: 29.64 N, Longitude: 83.12 W
Area code: 352
|Crime rates in Cross City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 283.6)||377.4||513.4||410.5||442.2||471.2||343.9||475.7||220.9||128.9||156.4||178.5||298.2||309.1||279.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Cross City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.94|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (35%)
- Public administration (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (23%)
- Health care and social assistance (22%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Production occupations (31%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (10%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (8%)
- Transportation occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (5%)
- Sales and related occupations (16%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (16%)
- Healthcare support occupations (14%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Personal care and service occupations (4%)
Average climate in Cross City, Florida
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Cross City-area historical tornado activity is below Florida state average. It is 42% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/27/1984, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 27.7 miles away from the Cross City town center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/23/1983, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 14.7 miles away from the town center injured 6 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Cross City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Florida state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 317.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 268.0 miles away from Cross City center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 295.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 286.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/11/2002 at 23:39:29, a magnitude 4.4 (4.0 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 1.5 mi) earthquake occurred 269.0 miles away from Cross City center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 366.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dixie County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 17
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 9, Tropical Storms: 5, Floods: 4, Fires: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Winds: 2, Freeze: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Nick Collins - 2005 NFL player (Green Bay Packers, born: Aug 16, 1983), Paul O'Hara - College football player (Marshall Thundering Herd), Thaddeus Parker - Recipient of the Purple Heart medal.
Hospitals and medical centers in Cross City:
airports located in Cross City:
- Cross City Airport (CTY) (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 14,400, Local Ops: 3,600)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Cross City:
- Santa Fe College (about 42 miles; Gainesville, FL; Full-time enrollment: 11,819)
- University of Florida (about 46 miles; Gainesville, FL; FT enrollment: 43,357)
- Florida Gateway College (about 50 miles; Lake City, FL; FT enrollment: 2,179)
- Rasmussen College-Florida (about 66 miles; Ocala, FL; FT enrollment: 5,736)
- College of Central Florida (about 66 miles; Ocala, FL; FT enrollment: 6,103)
- Valdosta State University (about 85 miles; Valdosta, GA; FT enrollment: 11,155)
- Saint Johns River State College (about 87 miles; Palatka, FL; FT enrollment: 4,698)
Public high schools in Cross City:
- DIXIE COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 281, Location: 16077 NE 19HWY BLDG, Grades: 9-12)
- DIXIE VIRTUAL FRANCHISE (Location: 16077 NE HIGHWAY 19, Grades: 7-12)
- DIXIE VIRTUAL INSTRUCTION PROGRAM (Location: 16077 NE 19 HIGHWAY BLDG 2, Grades: KG-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Cross City:
Notable locations in Cross City: Dixie Plaza (A), Cross City Correctional Institution Library (B), Dixie County Emergency Medical Services Station 1 (C), Cross City Police Department (D), Dixie County Fire and Rescue Station 41 (E), Dixie County Sheriff's Office (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Court: Florida State - Judicial- County Court Dixie- Judge Koberlein Frede (Courthouse).
(27.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 37.0% for Black residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 8.9% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
50 people in nursing homes in 2000
Banks with branches in Cross City (2011 data):
- Bank of America, National Association: Cross City Branch at 510 Leon Street, branch established on 1923/09/19. Info updated 2009/11/18: Bank assets: $1,451,969.3 mil, Deposits: $1,077,176.8 mil, headquarters in Charlotte, NC, positive income, 5782 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Of America Corporation
- Capital City Bank: Cross City Branch at 294 Ne 210th Avenue, branch established on 1934/03/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $2,617.3 mil, Deposits: $2,181.2 mil, headquarters in Tallahassee, FL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 74 total offices, Holding Company: Capital City Bank Group, Inc.
- Drummond Community Bank: Dixie County Branch at 200 South West Cedar Street, branch established on 1994/07/25. Info updated 2007/05/30: Bank assets: $200.1 mil, Deposits: $150.8 mil, headquarters in Chiefland, FL, positive income, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Drummond Banking Company
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Cross City town (based on Dixie County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dixie County:||2.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florida:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dixie County:||2.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florida:||1.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dixie County:||3.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.45 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Cross City, FL Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Police Protection - Officers||5||$10,838||$26,011||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||1||$1,997||$23,964||0||$0|
|Other Government Administration||3||$6,187||$24,748||6||$1,850|
|Totals for Government||16||$36,048||$27,036||26||$12,961|
7.31% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,013 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Levy County, FL||0.71% ($27,233 average AGI)|
|from Alachua County, FL||0.62% ($21,731)|
|from Gilchrist County, FL||0.52% ($23,318)|
7.68% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($42,812 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Cross City:
- WYNY (1240 AM; 1 kW; CROSS CITY, FL; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WFLF (540 AM; 50 kW; PINE HILLS, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQTM (740 AM; 50 kW; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSR (1570 AM; 50 kW; FERNANDINA BEACH, FL; Owner: RJM COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WMGG (820 AM; 50 kW; LARGO, FL; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ST. PETERSBURG LICENSEE)
- WOBS (1530 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: WORD BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WDYZ (990 AM; 50 kW; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WRUF (850 AM; 5 kW; GAINESVILLE, FL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA)
- WQYK (1010 AM; 50 kW; SEFFNER, FL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF TAMPA)
- WLQH (940 AM; 1 kW; CHIEFLAND, FL; Owner: OCALA BROADCASTING CORPORATION, L.L.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Cross City:
- WKZY (106.9 FM; CROSS CITY, FL; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WDJY (101.7 FM; TRENTON, FL; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WKTK (98.5 FM; CRYSTAL RIVER, FL; Owner: ENTERCOM GAINESVILLE LICENSE, LLC)
- WNDN (107.9 FM; CHIEFLAND, FL; Owner: OCALA BROADCASTING CORPORATION, L.L.)
- WTBH (91.5 FM; CHIEFLAND, FL; Owner: LONG POND BAPTIST CHURCH)
TV broadcast stations around Cross City:
- WFXU (Channel 57; LIVE OAK, FL; Owner: WFXU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WGFL (Channel 53; HIGH SPRINGS, FL; Owner: BUDD BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- Cross City, Florida
- Fatal accident count15
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents23
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:8
- Persons involved in fatal accidents43
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents1
- Florida average
- Fatal accident count181
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents277
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons59
- Persons involved in fatal accidents486
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents37
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 0mTotal length
- 4,800Total average daily traffic
- 816Total average daily truck traffic
- 8,328Total future (year 2035) average daily traffic
Drinking water stations with addresses in Cross City and their reported violations in the past:CROSS CITY, TOWN OF (Population served: 2,850, Groundwater):
Past health violations:SOUTHERN COMFORT CAMPGROUND (Population served: 72, Groundwater):
- MCL, Average - Between JUL-2013 and SEP-2013, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JAN-29-2013), St Public Notif requested (OCT-31-2013), St Public Notif received (DEC-02-2013)
- MCL, Average - Between JUL-2013 and SEP-2013, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JAN-29-2013), St Public Notif requested (OCT-31-2013), St Public Notif received (DEC-02-2013)
- MCL, Average - Between APR-2013 and JUN-2013, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JAN-29-2013), St Public Notif requested (JUN-13-2013), St Public Notif received (JUN-27-2013)
- MCL, Average - Between APR-2013 and JUN-2013, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JAN-29-2013), St Public Notif requested (JUN-13-2013), St Public Notif received (JUN-27-2013)
- MCL, Average - Between JAN-2013 and MAR-2013, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JAN-29-2013), St Public Notif requested (MAR-19-2013), St Public Notif received (APR-26-2013)
- MCL, Average - Between JAN-2013 and MAR-2013, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (JAN-29-2013), St Public Notif requested (MAR-19-2013), St Public Notif received (APR-26-2013)
- 64 other older health violations
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUN-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JUL-14-2008), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-15-2008), St Public Notif received (AUG-25-2008)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 7
- Hazardous Condition: 5
Incident types - Cross City
|Most common first names in Cross City, FL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Cross City, FL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (94%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Wood (1%)
|Businesses in Cross City, FL|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||MasterBrand Cabinets||2|
Cross City compared to Florida state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.