|Median resident age:||40.4 years|
|Florida median age:||40.3 years|
Zip codes: 32628.
Cross City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $72,104 (it was $39,600 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $576.
- White alone - 1,186 (68.6%)
- Black alone - 469 (27.1%)
- Hispanic - 33 (1.9%)
- Two or more races - 29 (1.7%)
- Asian alone - 7 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.2%)
|Moving To Fanning Springs, Florida (22 replies)|
|Perry, Florida......How's living there?? (61 replies)|
|Ultimate Florida Small Town Road Trip (11 replies)|
|Dixie County Property (8 replies)|
|Local Drive Ins? (27 replies)|
|Hwy 19 travel question (25 replies)|
Latest news from Cross City, FL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (16.4%), United States (9.2%), German (6.9%), English (6.4%), French (2.3%), Subsaharan African (2.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 42 feet
Land area: 1.90 square miles.
|Population density: 900 people per square mile||(low).|
For population 25 years and over in Cross City:
- High school or higher: 70.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.2%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cross City town:
- Never married: 30.9%
- Now married: 40.0%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 14.2%
- Divorced: 11.8%
15 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Florida and other state lists there were 15 registered sex offenders living in Cross City, Florida as of January 25, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Cross City to the number of sex offenders is 114 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $590 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $700 (0.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Gainesville, FL (47.4 miles , pop. 95,447).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Jacksonville, FL (99.7 miles , pop. 735,617).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (736.2 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Fanning Springs, FL (3.5 miles ), Manattee Road, FL (3.9 miles ), Steinhatchee, FL (4.0 miles ), Andrews, FL (4.0 miles ), Horseshoe Beach, FL (4.1 miles ), Bell, FL (4.2 miles ), Trenton, FL (4.3 miles ), Chiefland, FL (4.4 miles ).
Latitude: 29.64 N, Longitude: 83.12 W
Area code: 352
|Crime rates in Cross City by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||440.1||377.4||513.4||410.5||460.2||490.4||357.9||495.2||230.0||134.2||162.8||185.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Cross City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.84|
- Manufacturing (27%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (15%)
- Construction (12%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Accommodation and food services (22%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Information (6%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (7%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (4%)
Average climate in Cross City, Florida
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Cross City-area historical tornado activity is below Florida state average. It is 42% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/27/1984, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 27.7 miles away from the Cross City town center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/23/1983, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 14.7 miles away from the town center injured 6 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Cross City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Florida state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 317.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 268.0 miles away from Cross City center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 295.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 286.4 miles away from the city center
On 11/11/2002 at 23:39:29, a magnitude 4.4 (4.0 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 1.5 mi) earthquake occurred 269.0 miles away from Cross City center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 366.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dixie County (19) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 8, Floods: 4, Tropical Storms: 4, Fires: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Winds: 2, Freeze: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Nick Collins - 2005 NFL player (Green Bay Packers, born: Aug 16, 1983), Paul O'Hara - College football player (Marshall Thundering Herd), Thaddeus Parker - Recipient of the Purple Heart medal.
Hospitals and medical centers in Cross City:
Airports located in Cross City:
- Cross City Airport (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 14,400, Local Ops: 3,600)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Cross City:
- Santa Fe College (about 42 miles; Gainesville, FL; Full-time enrollment: 11,819)
- University of Florida (about 46 miles; Gainesville, FL; FT enrollment: 43,357)
- Florida Gateway College (about 50 miles; Lake City, FL; FT enrollment: 2,179)
- Rasmussen College-Florida (about 66 miles; Ocala, FL; FT enrollment: 5,736)
- College of Central Florida (about 66 miles; Ocala, FL; FT enrollment: 6,103)
- Valdosta State University (about 85 miles; Valdosta, GA; FT enrollment: 11,155)
- Saint Johns River State College (about 87 miles; Palatka, FL; FT enrollment: 4,698)
Notable locations in Cross City: Dixie Plaza (A), Cross City Correctional Institution Library (B), Dixie County Emergency Medical Services Station 1 (C), Cross City Police Department (D), Dixie County Fire and Rescue Station 41 (E), Dixie County Sheriff's Office (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Court: Florida State - Judicial- County Court Dixie- Judge Koberlein Frede (Courthouse).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Cross City and their reported violations in the past:CROSS CITY, TOWN OF (Population served: 2850, Groundwater):
Past health violations:GRUMPY'S ITALIAN RESTAURANT (Population served: 50, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Average - Between APR-2006 and JUN-2006, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-12-2006)
- MCL, Average - Between APR-2006 and JUN-2006, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-12-2006)
- MCL, Average - Between JAN-2006 and MAR-2006, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (MAR-21-2006)
- MCL, Average - Between JAN-2006 and MAR-2006, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (MAR-21-2006)
- MCL, Average - Between OCT-2005 and DEC-2005, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-18-2005), St Public Notif received (JAN-04-2006)
- MCL, Average - Between OCT-2005 and DEC-2005, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-18-2005), St Public Notif received (JAN-04-2006)
- 9 other older health violations
- One routine major monitoring violation
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - Between OCT-1999 and DEC-1999, Contaminant: Coliform
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - Between JUL-2003 and SEP-2003, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Cross City that have no violations reported:
- U & I LIQUORS/LOUNGE (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(23.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 33.1% for Black residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 100.0% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
50 people in nursing homes in 2000
Cross City compared to Florida state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Cross City (2011 data):
- Bank of America, National Association: Cross City Branch at 510 Leon Street, branch established on 1923/09/19. Info updated 2009/11/18: Bank assets: $1,451,969.3 mil, Deposits: $1,077,176.8 mil, headquarters in Charlotte, NC, positive income, 5782 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Of America Corporation
- Capital City Bank: Cross City Branch at 294 Ne 210th Avenue, branch established on 1934/03/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $2,617.3 mil, Deposits: $2,181.2 mil, headquarters in Tallahassee, FL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 74 total offices, Holding Company: Capital City Bank Group, Inc.
- Drummond Community Bank: Dixie County Branch at 200 South West Cedar Street, branch established on 1994/07/25. Info updated 2007/05/30: Bank assets: $200.1 mil, Deposits: $150.8 mil, headquarters in Chiefland, FL, positive income, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Drummond Banking Company
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Cross City, Florida:
- Florida Motel, S Hwy 19, Cross City, FL 32628
- Carriage Inn Motel, Hwy 19, Cross City, FL 32628
- El Dorado Inn, N US 19, Cross City, FL 32628
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (94%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Wood (1%)
Religion statistics for Cross City town (based on Dixie County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 44.26%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||International Pentecostal Holiness Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dixie County:||2.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florida:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dixie County:||2.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florida:||1.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dixie County:||3.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Police Protection - Officers||5||$10,838||$26,011||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||1||$1,997||$23,964||0||$0|
|Other Government Administration||3||$6,187||$24,748||6||$1,850|
|Totals for Government||16||$36,048||$27,036||26||$12,961|
10.79% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200531,327 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Levy County, FL||1.08% ($19,432 average AGI)|
|from Pinellas County, FL||1.00% ($46,439)|
|from Alachua County, FL||0.54% ($37,955)|
7.91% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200629,684 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Cross City:
- WYNY (1240 AM; 1 kW; CROSS CITY, FL; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WFLF (540 AM; 50 kW; PINE HILLS, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WQTM (740 AM; 50 kW; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGSR (1570 AM; 50 kW; FERNANDINA BEACH, FL; Owner: RJM COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WMGG (820 AM; 50 kW; LARGO, FL; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ST. PETERSBURG LICENSEE)
- WOBS (1530 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: WORD BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WDYZ (990 AM; 50 kW; ORLANDO, FL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WRUF (850 AM; 5 kW; GAINESVILLE, FL; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA)
- WQYK (1010 AM; 50 kW; SEFFNER, FL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF TAMPA)
- WLQH (940 AM; 1 kW; CHIEFLAND, FL; Owner: OCALA BROADCASTING CORPORATION, L.L.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Cross City:
- WKZY (106.9 FM; CROSS CITY, FL; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WDJY (101.7 FM; TRENTON, FL; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WKTK (98.5 FM; CRYSTAL RIVER, FL; Owner: ENTERCOM GAINESVILLE LICENSE, LLC)
- WNDN (107.9 FM; CHIEFLAND, FL; Owner: OCALA BROADCASTING CORPORATION, L.L.)
- WTBH (91.5 FM; CHIEFLAND, FL; Owner: LONG POND BAPTIST CHURCH)
TV broadcast stations around Cross City:
- WFXU (Channel 57; LIVE OAK, FL; Owner: WFXU LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WGFL (Channel 53; HIGH SPRINGS, FL; Owner: BUDD BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- Fatal accident count: 14
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 22
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 8
- Fatalities: 17
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 41
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 166
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 255
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 54
- Fatalities: 180
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 442
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 31
Total length: 0 meters
Total average daily traffic: 4,900
Total average daily truck traffic: 882
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 8,502
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 7
- Hazardous Condition: 5
Incident types - Cross City
|Most common first names in Cross City, FL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Cross City, FL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Cross City, FL|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||MasterBrand Cabinets||2|
Cross City on our top lists:
- #17 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest ratio of rapes to murders between 2001 and 2006"
- #33 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest maximum monthly morning or afternoon humidity"
- #52 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest number of burglaries in 2006 per 10,000 residents, excludes tourist destinations and others with a lot of outsiders visiting based on city industries data"
- #76 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Wood products"
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses"