|Median resident age:||27.4 years|
|Montana median age:||37.5 years|
Crow Reservation CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $83,746 (it was $54,400 in 2000)
- American Indian alone - 4,932 (74.4%)
- White alone - 1,380 (20.8%)
- Hispanic - 192 (2.9%)
- Two or more races - 115 (1.7%)
- Asian alone - 7 (0.1%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Land area: 3206.3 square miles.
Population density: 2.1 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Crow Reservation:
- High school or higher: 75.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 17.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Crow Reservation CCD:
- Never married: 28.6%
- Now married: 56.6%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 9.9%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Crow Reservation CCD:||0.8% ($419)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Billings, MT (48.9 miles , pop. 89,847).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: West Adams, CO (406.2 miles , pop. 259,628).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (853.8 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: St. Xavier, MT (2.1 miles) , Fort Smith, MT (3.7 miles) , Lodge Grass, MT (4.1 miles ), Crow Agency, MT (4.2 miles ), Hardin, MT (4.8 miles ), Wyola, MT (4.9 miles) , Busby, MT (6.0 miles ), Parkman, WY (6.0 miles) .
Latitude: 45.40 N, Longitude: 107.69 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 406
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (26%)
- Public administration (23%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Construction (8%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (5%)
- Health care (5%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Educational services (25%)
- Public administration (20%)
- Health care (13%)
- Social assistance (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (18%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Other protective service workers including supervisors (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (9%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
Average climate in Crow Reservation, Montana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Crow Reservation-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Montana state average. It is 2% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 156.3 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 314.0 miles away from Crow Reservation center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 6/30/1975 at 18:54:13, a magnitude 6.1 (5.6 MB, 5.9 MS, 6.1 UK, 6.1 ML, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 157.3 miles away from the city center
On 2/3/1994 at 09:05:04, a magnitude 5.8 (5.4 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, 5.8 ML, Depth: 4.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 243.9 miles away from the city center
On 7/26/2005 at 04:08:37, a magnitude 5.7 (5.7 MB, 5.2 MS, 5.6 MW, Depth: 8.0 mi) earthquake occurred 237.3 miles away from Crow Reservation center
On 3/28/1975 at 02:31:05, a magnitude 6.2 (6.1 MB, 6.0 MS, 6.2 ML) earthquake occurred 335.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Big Horn County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 2, Fire: 1, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Crow Reservation:
- Montana State University-Billings (about 49 miles; Billings, MT; Full-time enrollment: 4,319)
- Sheridan College (about 58 miles; Sheridan, WY; FT enrollment: 2,070)
- Montana State University (about 164 miles; Bozeman, MT; FT enrollment: 12,942)
- Casper College (about 191 miles; Casper, WY; FT enrollment: 2,770)
- Black Hills State University (about 198 miles; Spearfish, SD; FT enrollment: 3,166)
- Brigham Young University-Idaho (about 230 miles; Rexburg, ID; FT enrollment: 30,522)
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology (about 239 miles; Rapid City, SD; FT enrollment: 2,102)
Notable locations in Crow Reservation: Millers Ranch (A), Absaloka Youth Camp (B), Medicine Tail Ford (C), Aspen Grove Cabin (D), Bar V Ranch (E), Barber Ranch (F), Black Cabin (G), Brown Ranch (H), Camp Four (I), Campbell Camp Number One (J), Dry Head Ranch (K), Cow Camp (L), Crows Nest Camp (M), Fort Smith Ruins (N), Woody Creek Camp (O), Wolf Ranch (P), Windy Point Lookout (Q), Lodge Grass (R), Reno (S), Willcutt Ranch (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Crow Reservation include: Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church (A), First Baptist Church (B), Blessed Kateri Tekawitha Church (C), First Crow Indian Baptist Church (D), Our Lady of Loretto Church (E), Wyola Baptist Church (F), Saint Charles Borromeo Church (G), Pryor Valley Assembly Church (H), Faith Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Saint Xavier Catholic Mission Cemetery (1), Custer National Cemetery (2), Pryor Cemetery (3), Brightwing Cemetery (4), Lodge Grass Cemetery (5), Singgood Cemetery (6), Big Day Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Crater Lake (A), Arapooish Pond (B), Brown Reservoir (C), Halfway Reservoir (D), Lodge Grass Reservoir (E), Yellowtail Afterbay Reservoir (F), Upper Indian Creek Reservoir (G), Steinhilber Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Woody Creek (A), Wyola Creek (B), Clabber Creek (C), Crazy Creek (D), Mud Springs Creek (E), Alligator Creek (F), Ash Creek (G), Bear Creek (H), Beauvais Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Crow Reservation include: Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument (1), Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area (2), Chief Plenty Coups State Park (3), Fort C F Smith Historical Marker (4), Garryowen Historical Marker (5), Arapooish Recreation Park (6), White Arm Park (7), Reno-Benteen Battlefield (8), Seventh Cavalry Memorial (9). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 33.8. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2002 was 0.320. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 24.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 19.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.7 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||3.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.8% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
People in group quarters in Crow Reservation in 2010:
- 23 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 22 people in other noninstitutional facilities
- 5 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers
People in group quarters in Crow Reservation in 2000:
- 44 people in agriculture workers' dormitories on farms
- 29 people in nursing homes
- 23 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 15 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 8 people in other group homes
- 7 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 4 people in other nonhousehold living situations
Crow Reservation compared to Montana state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (40%)
- Utility gas (21%)
- Electricity (21%)
- Coal or coke (8%)
- Other fuel (5%)
- Wood (3%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Crow Reservation CCD (based on Big Horn County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 39.41%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Conservative Congregational Christian Conference||Lutheran Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America|
|Name||United Church of Christ||Assemblies of God||Southern Baptist Convention||LDS (Mormon) Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Big Horn County:||2.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|Montana:||2.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Big Horn County:||0.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Montana:||0.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|Big Horn County:||10.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||10.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Big Horn County:||32.4%|
6.00% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,221 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Yellowstone County, MT||2.05% ($24,848 average AGI)|
|from Rosebud County, MT||0.42% ($28,250)|
|from Sheridan County, WY||0.26% ($29,700)|
6.00% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,944 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Crow Reservation:
- KURL (730 AM; 5 kW; BILLINGS, MT; Owner: ELENBAAS MEDIA, INC.)
- KGHL (790 AM; 5 kW; BILLINGS, MT; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- KBUL (970 AM; 5 kW; BILLINGS, MT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KZMQ (1140 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREYBULL, WY; Owner: LEGEND COMMUNICATIONS OF WYOMING LLC)
- KROE (930 AM; 5 kW; SHERIDAN, WY; Owner: LOVCOM, INC.)
- KHDN (1230 AM; 1 kW; HARDIN, MT; Owner: SUN MOUNTAIN, INC.)
- KTWO (1030 AM; 50 kW; CASPER, WY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KWYO (1410 AM; 5 kW; SHERIDAN, WY; Owner: KWYO AM, LLC)
- KATL (770 AM; 10 kW; MILES CITY, MT; Owner: STAR PRINTING COMPANY)
- KUYO (830 AM; daytime; 25 kW; EVANSVILLE, WY; Owner: WYOMING CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KPOW (1260 AM; 5 kW; POWELL, WY; Owner: CHAPARRAL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KMTA (1050 AM; 10 kW; MILES CITY, MT; Owner: SENGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KIKC (1250 AM; 5 kW; FORSYTH, MT; Owner: MILES CITY, FORSYTH B/DCSTG, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Crow Reservation:
- K244CK (96.7 FM; COWLEY, ETC., WY; Owner: CONNECTION COMMUNICATIONS ASSOC., INC.)
- KZMQ-FM (100.3 FM; GREYBULL, WY; Owner: LEGEND COMMUNICATIONS OF WYOMING LLC)
- KMHK (95.5 FM; HARDIN, MT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KRKX (94.1 FM; BILLINGS, MT; Owner: FISHER RADIO REGIONAL GROUP, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Crow Reservation:
- KHMT (Channel 4; HARDIN, MT; Owner: VHR BROADCASTING OF BILLINGS, LLC)