Crystal: Fall Mt Katahdin Crystal Maine
Crystal: From Patten entering Crystal.
Crystal: Fall Mt Katahdin Crystal Maine
Crystal: Stream Crystal Maine
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||51.8 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04747.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $22,071 (it was $14,338 in 2000)
Crystal town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $86,536 (it was $48,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $116,614; Detached houses: $123,203; Townhouses or other attached units: $211,922; In 2-unit structures: $83,442; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $28,261; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $183,556; Mobile homes: $54,820; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $55,511
Races in Crystal, ME (2010)
- 26698.9%White alone
- 10.4%American Indian alone
- 10.4%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
- A few numbers about alcohol consumption Aug 11
- High-paid finance jobs are moving outside of large cities Aug 9
|First Snow in Maine (36 replies)|
|I have a question (19 replies)|
|This may be the cheapest house I've ever seen (21 replies)|
|Not Sure I Can Escape My Roots (13 replies)|
|LePages Turns the Tables on the Enviros (82 replies)|
|Photos of Maine (4365 replies)|
Latest news from Crystal, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (39.6%), Irish (19.3%), French (17.2%), Scotch-Irish (5.3%), United States (5.3%), French Canadian (4.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/21/1901
Elevation: 511 feet
Land area: 40.1 square miles.
Population density: 6.7 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Crystal:
- High school or higher: 76.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 12.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Crystal town:
- Never married: 19.4%
- Now married: 63.8%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 3.9%
- Divorced: 12.9%
2 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Crystal town:||1.0% ($468)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (186.1 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (287.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (450.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Island Falls, ME (2.2 miles ), Patten, ME (2.2 miles ), Sherman, ME (2.6 miles ), Hersey, ME (2.6 miles) , Stacyville, ME (2.8 miles ), Mount Chase, ME (3.0 miles ), Dyer Brook, ME (3.1 miles) , Merrill, ME (3.7 miles ).
Latitude: 45.99 N, Longitude: 68.36 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (20%)
- Public administration (15%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Social assistance (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Food (5%)
- Health care (28%)
- Social assistance (12%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Other direct selling establishments (7%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Carpenters (8%)
- Woodworkers (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Engineers (7%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (25%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (10%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Life, physical, and social science technicians (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Special education teachers (4%)
Average climate in Crystal, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Crystal-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 280.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 114.2 miles away from Crystal center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 66.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 324.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 234.5 miles away from Crystal center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 47.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Crystal:
- University of Maine (about 78 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 83 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 127 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 135 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 183 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 187 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 187 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Churches in Crystal include: Belvedere Church (A), Patten United Methodist Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Crystal Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and swamps: Lost Pond (A), Thousand Acre Bog (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Webster Brook (A), Crystal Brook (B), Lyman Brook (C), Cold Brook (D), Bog Brook (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Crystal town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Crystal:
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WSYY (1240 AM; 1 kW; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Crystal:
- WHOU-FM (100.1 FM; HOULTON, ME; Owner: COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WSYY-FM (94.9 FM; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 6Number of bridges
- 31m102ftTotal length
- $216,000Total costs
- 7,076Total average daily traffic
- 720Total average daily truck traffic
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: AEROS LTD SKYRANGER II (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 912S (100 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 75561 , Serial Number: SKR 0210262, Year manufactured: 2004, Airworthiness Date: 01/05/2008
Registrant (Individual): Vernon L Jr Anderson, 244 Winding Hill Rd, Crystal, ME 04747
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (80%)
- Wood (20%)
Crystal compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.