|Median resident age:||39.3 years|
|Iowa median age:||44.4 years|
Dakota City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $75,472 (it was $67,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $659.
- White alone - 791 (93.8%)
- Hispanic - 35 (4.2%)
- Two or more races - 9 (1.1%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.5%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.4%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.1%)
Latest news from Dakota City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (33.9%), Norwegian (13.7%), United States (9.9%), Irish (8.1%), English (4.7%), Danish (3.0%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 06/22/1878
Elevation: 1130 feet
Land area: 0.74 square miles.Population density: 1,135 people per square mile (low).
For population 25 years and over in Dakota City:
- High school or higher: 89.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.9%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Dakota City city:
- Never married: 23.2%
- Now married: 63.4%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 7.1%
4 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Dakota City, Iowa as of January 30, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Dakota City to the number of sex offenders is 835 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $895 (1.2%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $889 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Ames, IA (56.1 miles , pop. 50,731).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Omaha, NE (137.5 miles , pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (339.1 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Humboldt, IA (1.0 miles ), Rutland, IA (2.3 miles) , Badger, IA (2.8 miles ), Thor, IA (2.8 miles) , Hardy, IA (3.1 miles) , Livermore, IA (3.2 miles ), Pioneer, IA (3.3 miles) , Bode, IA (3.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $70,800
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $90,000
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $70,300
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $124,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $200,000
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $70,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.72 N, Longitude: 94.20 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 515
- Manufacturing (33%)
- Construction (17%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Wholesale trade (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (40%)
- Manufacturing (20%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (13%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (12%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Dakota City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Dakota City-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 102% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/14/1966, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 28.5 miles away from the Dakota City city center killed 6 people and injured 172 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/4/1977, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.5 miles away from the city center injured 14 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Dakota City-area historical earthquake activity is near Iowa state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 223.3 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 281.0 miles away from Dakota City center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 238.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 443.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 229.0 miles away from Dakota City center
On 2/6/1996 at 15:10:28, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 170.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Humboldt County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 6, Tornadoes: 5, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Harry Reasoner - Broadcast news analyst.
Hospitals and medical centers near Dakota City:
- QHC HUMBOLDT NORTH, LLC (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; HUMBOLDT, IA)
- QHC HUMBOLDT SOUTH, LLC (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; HUMBOLDT, IA)
- HUMBOLDT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPI (Nursing Home, about 2 miles away; HUMBOLDT, IA)
- FORT DODGE HEALTH AND REHABILITATION (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; FORT DODGE, IA)
- GREENLEAF (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; FORT DODGE, IA)
- QHC FORT DODGE VILLA , LLC (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; FORT DODGE, IA)
- IOWA HOME CARE, LLC (Home Health Center, about 16 miles away; FORT DODGE, IA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Dakota City:
- Iowa Central Community College (about 17 miles; Fort Dodge, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,682)
- Buena Vista University (about 52 miles; Storm Lake, IA; FT enrollment: 2,522)
- Iowa State University (about 56 miles; Ames, IA; FT enrollment: 28,662)
- Iowa Lakes Community College (about 57 miles; Estherville, IA; FT enrollment: 2,311)
- North Iowa Area Community College (about 62 miles; Mason City, IA; FT enrollment: 2,235)
- Des Moines Area Community College (about 77 miles; Ankeny, IA; FT enrollment: 15,337)
- Drake University (about 83 miles; Des Moines, IA; FT enrollment: 3,768)
Public elementary/middle school in Dakota City:
- Clyde D Mease Elementary School (Students: 203; Location: 23 3rd St No; Grades: PK-1)
Notable locations in Dakota City: Dakota City Access (A), Humboldt County Courthouse (B), Dakota City City Hall (C), Humboldt County Historical Museum (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Dakota City include: Dakota City River Park (1), Herb Zinnel Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Humboldt County Museum (905 1st Avenue North).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Dakota City and their reported violations in the past:DAKOTA CITY WATER SUPPLY (Population served: 858, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2005 and AUG-2007, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-29-2007), St Formal NOV issued (OCT-29-2007), St BCA signed (2 times from DEC-04-2007 to DEC-04-2007), St Public Notif received (JUL-03-2008), St Compliance achieved (2 times from AUG-28-2008 to AUG-28-2008)
- One regular monitoring violation
(6.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 61.5% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Dakota City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (73%)
- Electricity (25%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Religion statistics for Dakota City city (based on Humboldt County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 85.19%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Lutheran Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Humboldt County:||2.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Humboldt County:||8.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||8||$5,036|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||1||$1,683|
|Totals for Government||2||$5,474||$32,844||9||$6,719|
Dakota City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $119,000 ($142.51)
Water Utilities: $94,000 ($112.57)
General - Other: $79,000 ($94.61)
Sewerage: $55,000 ($65.87)
Solid Waste Management: $20,000 ($23.95)
Financial Administration: $18,000 ($21.56)
Parks & Recreation: $17,000 ($20.36)
Libraries: $8,000 ($9.58)
Fire Protection: $8,000 ($9.58)
Central Staff Services: $5,000 ($5.99)
Health Services - Other: $2,000 ($2.40)
General Public Buildings: $2,000 ($2.40)
Police Protection: $1,000 ($1.20)
Judicial and Legal Services: $1,000 ($1.20)
- General - Interest on Debt: $8,000 ($9.58)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - Libraries: $8,000 ($9.58)
Police Protection: $1,000 ($1.20)
- Other Capital Outlay - Health - Other: $2,000 ($2.40)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $105,000 ($125.75)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $13,000 ($15.57)
Dakota City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $59,000 ($70.66)
Solid Waste Management: $33,000 ($39.52)
All Other: $5,000 ($5.99)
- Miscellaneous - Special Assessments: $5,000 ($5.99)
General Revenue, NEC: $4,000 ($4.79)
Interest Earnings: $3,000 ($3.59)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $111,000 ($132.93)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $88,000 ($105.39)
General Support: $11,000 ($13.17)
- Tax - Property: $177,000 ($211.98)
NEC: $2,000 ($2.40)
Dakota City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $268,000 ($320.96)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $130,000 ($155.69)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $252,000 ($301.80)
Other, NEC: $89,000 ($106.59)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $41,000 ($49.10)
Water Utilities: $16,000 ($19.16)
Dakota City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $333,000 ($398.80)
5.10% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($33,186 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Webster County, IA||0.90% ($30,029 average AGI)|
|from Kossuth County, IA||0.44% ($30,647)|
|from Wright County, IA||0.38% ($26,000)|
6.42% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($27,461 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Dakota City:
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KLGA (1600 AM; 5 kW; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WOI (640 AM; 5 kW; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIV., OF SCIENCE & TECH.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KVFD (1400 AM; 1 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: SORENSON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- KFGQ (1260 AM; 5 kW; BOONE, IA; Owner: BOONE BIBLICAL MINISTRIES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Dakota City:
- KHBT (97.7 FM; HUMBOLDT, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KIAQ (96.9 FM; CLARION, IA; Owner: THREE EAGLES OF FT. DODGE, INC.)
- KTPR (91.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KKEZ (94.5 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KJYL (100.7 FM; EAGLE GROVE, IA; Owner: MINN-IOWA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING,INC)
- K206BF (89.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KLGA-FM (92.7 FM; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KUEL (92.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: SORENSON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KICB (88.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Dakota City:
- KTIN (Channel 21; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
Dakota City fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: KA0ARN, Licensee ID: L01262060
Grant Date: 11/08/2007, Expiration Date: 12/09/2017, Certifier: Irene Kirkpatrick
Registrant: Irene Kirkpatrick, 202 6th St. So., Dakota City, IA 50529
- Call Sign: W0UTD
Grant Date: 08/31/1994, Expiration Date: 09/28/2003, Cancellation Date: 09/29/2005
Registrant: Robert S Townsend, 306 5th St N, Dakota City, IA 50529
- Call Sign: WD0BBE, Licensee ID: L01262056
Grant Date: 11/08/2007, Expiration Date: 12/09/2017
Registrant: James W Kirkpatrick Mr, 202 6th St. So., Dakota City, IA 50529
- Call Sign: WD0BPP
Grant Date: 03/29/1994, Expiration Date: 03/29/2004, Cancellation Date: 03/30/2006
Registrant: Marvin F Berhow, 306 S 2nd St Box 505, Dakota City, IA 50529
- Call Sign: WD0BPR, Licensee ID: L00012669
Grant Date: 06/03/2008, Expiration Date: 09/01/2018, Certifier: Paul C Anderson
Registrant: Paul C Anderson, 302 2nd St S, Dakota City, IA 50529-0029
- Call Sign: KD0OBS, Licensee ID: L01628036
Grant Date: 03/30/2011, Expiration Date: 03/30/2021, Certifier: David W Lee
Registrant: David W Lee, Dakota City, IA 50529
|Most common first names in Dakota City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Dakota City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Dakota City on our top lists:
- #42 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Machinery"
- #67 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Office supplies and stationery stores"
- #65 (50548) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Danish first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #83 (50548) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Norwegian first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #83 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"