|Median resident age:||44.2 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05739.
Danby town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $169,907 (it was $93,200 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,283 (97.9%)
- Two or more races - 15 (1.1%)
- Hispanic - 8 (0.6%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 2 (0.2%)
|Vermont Weather (2533 replies)|
|Higbee traffic stop (32 replies)|
|What is the "greenest" or most progressive liberal city/town in Vermont? (32 replies)|
|High Schools in Vermont (23 replies)|
|Should I move from Maine to Manchester, VT? (24 replies)|
|Vermont property taxes: beyond ridiculous! (39 replies)|
Latest news from Danby, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (16.3%), Irish (14.1%), United States (12.6%), French (8.0%), German (6.6%), Italian (6.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 710 feet
Land area: 41.4 square miles.
Population density: 32 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Danby:
- High school or higher: 77.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.8%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Danby town:
- Never married: 21.8%
- Now married: 62.5%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 5.7%
- Divorced: 9.3%
21 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Danby, Vermont as of March 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Danby to the number of sex offenders is 1,268 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Danby town:||2.0% ($1,867)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (59.1 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (123.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (179.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Mount Tabor, VT (2.3 miles ), Tinmouth, VT (2.3 miles ), Pawlet, VT (2.7 miles ), Dorset, VT (2.8 miles ), Wallingford, VT (2.8 miles ), Middletown Springs, VT (2.9 miles ), Wells, VT (2.9 miles ), Rupert, VT (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 43.37 N, Longitude: 73.05 W
Area code: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (4%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Health care (9%)
- Electronic shopping and mail-order houses (7%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Danby, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Danby-area historical tornado activity is above Vermont state average. It is 61% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 22.5 miles away from the Danby town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 tornado 31.0 miles away from the town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Danby-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 76.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 84.2 miles away from Danby center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 73.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 83.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 72.4 miles away from Danby center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 96.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Rutland County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 6, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Amtrak stations near Danby:
- 17 miles: RUTLAND (MERCHANTS ROW) . Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: OKEMO (LUDLOW, OKEMO MOUNTAIN) - Seasonal Bus Station
- 19 miles: FAIR HAVEN (DEPOT & WATER STS.)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Danby:
- Castleton State College (about 18 miles; Castleton, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,079)
- Adirondack Community College (about 31 miles; Queensbury, NY; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Skidmore College (about 42 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 42 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
- Dartmouth College (about 45 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Middlebury College (about 45 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- Williams College (about 47 miles; Williamstown, MA; FT enrollment: 2,141)
Public elementary/middle school in Danby:
- Currier Memorial Usd #23 School (Students: 122; Location: 234 NORTH MAIN ST; Grades: K-6)
Notable locations in Danby: Otter Creek Campground (A), Danby Town Hall (B), S L Griffith Memorial Library (C), Danby - Mount Tabor Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (D), Danby - Mount Tabor Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Danby include: Mountain of the Lord Church (A), Corner Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Otis Cemetery (1), Cook Cemetery (2), Lillie Hill Cemetery (3), John Brown Cemetery (4), Dillingham Cemetery (5), Blackner-Hazelton Cemetery (6), Baker Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Danby Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Weatherby Brook (A), Purchase Brook (B), Fall Brook (C), Mountain Brook (D), Baker Brook (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Danby: Danby Village Historic District (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 49.1. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.431. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 16.9 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 7.45. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.9 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 1.62. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2011 was 12.6. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.97. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.9 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Danby and their reported violations in the past:DANBY MOUNT TABOR F D 1 (Address: 381 S MAIN ST , Population served: 385, Groundwater):
Past health violations:OTTER CREEK CAMPGROUND (Address: 1136 US RTE 7 , Population served: 148, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2010, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (NOV-01-2010), St Tech Assistance Visit (NOV-01-2010), St Public Notif requested (NOV-01-2010), St Boil Water Order (NOV-01-2010), St Compliance achieved (FEB-08-2012)
- Monitoring, Source Water (GWR) - In APR-04-2014, Contaminant: E. COLI. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (MAY-08-2014), St Public Notif requested (MAY-08-2014)
- One routine major monitoring violation
- One minor monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:
- 3 routine major monitoring violations
- One regular monitoring violation
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Danby compared to Vermont state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (68%)
- Wood (16%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (15%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Danby town (based on Rutland County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 45.22%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Church of Christ||United Methodist Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Episcopal Church|
|Name||Jewish||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Assemblies of God||LDS (Mormon) Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Rutland County:||3.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rutland County:||2.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Rutland County:||7.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.23% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,004 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($158 average AGI)
Rutland County: 0.04% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Addison County, VT||0.36% ($27,426 average AGI)|
|from Chittenden County, VT||0.30% ($29,063)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.30% ($24,696)|
4.98% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,088 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved to foreign countries ($182 average AGI)
Rutland County: 0.04% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Danby:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSYB (1380 AM; 5 kW; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WVNR (1340 AM; 1 kW; POULTNEY, VT; Owner: PINE TREE BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNBX (1480 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, VT)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Danby:
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WLJH (90.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE INC)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WJEN (94.5 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WEXP (101.5 FM; BRANDON, VT; Owner: VOX VERMONT, L.L.C.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WXLG (89.9 FM; NORTH CREEK, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Danby:
- W07AG (Channel 7; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: WNYT INC.)
- W69AR (Channel 69; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: MT. MANSFIELD TELEVISION, INC.)
- WVER (Channel 28; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- W61CE (Channel 61; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: MARGARET SANGUINETTI (ADMINISTRATRIX OF THE ESTATE))
Total length: 11 meters (36ft)
Total costs: $1,422,000
Total average daily traffic: 7,920
Total average daily truck traffic: 628
Total future (year 2015) average daily traffic: 11,103
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Town Clerks Office (Lat: 43.341750 Lon: -72.999556), Call Sign: WZT919, Licensee ID: L00114723
Assigned Frequencies: 39.8200 MHz
Grant Date: 03/04/1999, Expiration Date: 05/10/2004, Cancellation Date: 07/11/2004
Registrant: Danby, Town Of, Town Clerks Office, Danby, VT 05739
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Danby)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 7
- Hazardous Condition: 6
Incident types - Danby
Businesses in Danby, VT
- True Value: 1