|Median resident age:||39.5 years|
|Iowa median age:||44.4 years|
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $52,676 (it was $30,900 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $588.
- White alone - 187 (94.9%)
- Two or more races - 5 (2.5%)
- Asian alone - 2 (1.0%)
- Hispanic - 2 (1.0%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.5%)
Latest news from Decatur City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (26.8%), English (19.6%), United States (11.8%), Irish (10.0%), French (3.2%), Italian (2.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 01/8/1875
Elevation: 1140 feet
Land area: 0.39 square miles.
Population density: 465 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Decatur City:
- High school or higher: 77.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 15.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Decatur City city:
- Never married: 11.8%
- Now married: 59.3%
- Separated: 5.9%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 12.6%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Decatur City, Iowa as of April 19, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Decatur City to the number of sex offenders is 95 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $870 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $270 (1.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Des Moines, IA (59.7 miles , pop. 198,682).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Omaha, NE (119.3 miles , pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (328.6 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Leon, IA (2.1 miles ), Davis City, IA (2.7 miles ), Grand River, IA (2.9 miles ), Van Wert, IA (3.0 miles ), Lamoni, IA (3.1 miles ), Kellerton, IA (3.4 miles ), Weldon, IA (3.5 miles) , Pleasanton, IA (3.5 miles) .
Latitude: 40.74 N, Longitude: 93.83 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 641
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (30%)
- Construction (19%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Wholesale trade (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (24%)
- Accommodation and food services (18%)
- Information (11%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Carpenters (20%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (15%)
- Construction laborers (9%)
- Other construction workers and helpers (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (16%)
- Customer service representatives (14%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (11%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (11%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
Average climate in Decatur City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Decatur City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Iowa state average. It is 68% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/24/1989, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 8.0 miles away from the Decatur City city center caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/2/1980, a category F4 tornado 9.6 miles away from the city center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Decatur City-area historical earthquake activity is near Iowa state average. It is 80% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 354.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 342.8 miles away from Decatur City center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 338.4 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 361.1 miles away from the city center
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 90.3 miles away from Decatur City center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 375.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Del Norte County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 7, Landslides: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Tornado: 1, Tsunami Wave: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Decatur City:
- SOUTH CENTRAL HOME HEALTH CARE (Home Health Center, about 4 miles away; LEON, IA)
- WESTVIEW ACRES CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; LEON, IA)
- DECATUR COUNTY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 5 miles away; LEON, IA)
- LEON CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; LEON, IA)
- DECATUR COUNTY PUBLIC HEALTH AND HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 5 miles away; LEON, IA)
- LAMONI NURSING AND REHAB CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; LAMONI, IA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Decatur City:
- Drake University (about 61 miles; Des Moines, IA; Full-time enrollment: 3,768)
- Northwest Missouri State University (about 62 miles; Maryville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,946)
- Des Moines Area Community College (about 68 miles; Ankeny, IA; FT enrollment: 15,337)
- Truman State University (about 77 miles; Kirksville, MO; FT enrollment: 5,553)
- Indian Hills Community College (about 79 miles; Ottumwa, IA; FT enrollment: 4,034)
- Missouri Western State University (about 85 miles; Saint Joseph, MO; FT enrollment: 4,557)
- Iowa State University (about 90 miles; Ames, IA; FT enrollment: 28,662)
Notable location: Decatur City Hall (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Decatur City include: New Life Full Gospel Church (A), Assembly of God Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
(21.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Decatur City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (46%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (38%)
- Wood (10%)
- Utility gas (6%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Decatur City city (based on Decatur County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 38.50%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Community Church of Christ||United Methodist Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Catholic Church||LDS (Mormon) Church|
|Name||Assemblies of God||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Churches of Christ||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Decatur County:||2.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Decatur County:||4.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||14||$1,077|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||16||$1,332|
Decatur City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $7,000 ($38.46)
Solid Waste Management: $4,000 ($21.98)
General - Other: $4,000 ($21.98)
Financial Administration: $3,000 ($16.48)
Parks & Recreation: $3,000 ($16.48)
Central Staff Services: $2,000 ($10.99)
Police Protection: $2,000 ($10.99)
Health Services - Other: $1,000 ($5.49)
Fire Protection: $1,000 ($5.49)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - Police Protection: $2,000 ($10.99)
General: $1,000 ($5.49)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $2,000 ($10.99)
Decatur City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $2,000 ($10.99)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $1,000 ($5.49)
Interest Earnings: $1,000 ($5.49)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $16,000 ($87.91)
General Support: $2,000 ($10.99)
- Tax - Property: $14,000 ($76.92)
Total General Sales: $6,000 ($32.97)
NEC: $1,000 ($5.49)
Public Utilities: $1,000 ($5.49)
Decatur City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $71,000 ($390.11)
Strongest AM radio stations in Decatur City:
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KBGG (1700 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
- KRNT (1350 AM; 5 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KFEQ (680 AM; 5 kW; ST. JOSEPH, MO; Owner: EAGLE RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Decatur City:
- KIIC (97.9 FM; LAMONI, IA; Owner: THOMAS H. BURKE, RECEIVER FOR LIFESTYLE COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- KJJC (107.1 FM; OSCEOLA, IA; Owner: THOMAS H. BURKE, RECEIVER FOR LIFESTYLE COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)