|Median resident age:||42.9 years|
|New Hampshire median age:||43.9 years|
Zip codes: 03244.
Deering town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $172,382 (it was $96,400 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,830 (95.7%)
- Two or more races - 29 (1.5%)
- Hispanic - 25 (1.3%)
- Asian alone - 18 (0.9%)
- Black alone - 5 (0.3%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.05%)
|Deering- Hillsborough High School- interview (7 replies)|
|Snow - Is it really that bad?? (40 replies)|
|First Post -- moving to the Concord, NH area (27 replies)|
|Moving from SE Texas to NE New Hampshire, what to expect? (38 replies)|
|NH and Maine - twins? (7 replies)|
|Any advice for us moving from Colorado to New Hamshire? (65 replies)|
Latest news from Deering, NH collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (20.5%), Irish (17.5%), French (15.5%), German (11.5%), French Canadian (8.7%), Italian (7.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1774
Elevation: 1078 feet
Land area: 30.8 square miles.
Population density: 62 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Deering:
- High school or higher: 85.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.6%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Deering town:
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 64.1%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 8.8%
48 residents are foreign born (1.1% Europe, 0.7% North America, 0.3% Asia).
According to our research of New Hampshire and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Deering, New Hampshire as of May 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Deering to the number of sex offenders is 520 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Deering town:||2.4% ($2,307)|
|New Hampshire:||2.3% ($2,946)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (21.2 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (64.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (185.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Hillsborough, NH (1.9 miles ), Antrim, NH (2.3 miles ), Bennington, NH (2.4 miles ), Francestown, NH (2.5 miles ), Weare, NH (2.6 miles ), Henniker, NH (2.7 miles ), Windsor, NH (3.0 miles ), Greenfield, NH (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 1999: 11 buildings, average cost: $109,200
- 2000: 14 buildings, average cost: $118,000
- 2001: 13 buildings, average cost: $121,400
- 2002: 17 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2003: 17 buildings, average cost: $153,100
- 2004: 29 buildings, average cost: $163,600
- 2005: 18 buildings, average cost: $177,500
- 2006: 15 buildings, average cost: $13,300
- 2007: 7 buildings, average cost: $14,300
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $225,300
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $225,300
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $150,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.07 N, Longitude: 71.85 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 603
|Crime rates in Deering by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||127.0||40.3||85.2||69.3||157.6||96.6||84.5||124.8||142.6||97.6||121.2||57.5|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Deering detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.04|
|New Hampshire average:||2.18|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (12%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Electrical equipment, appliances, and components (4%)
- Social assistance (4%)
- Computer and electronic products (4%)
- Health care (14%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Electrical equipment, appliances, and components (6%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Computer specialists (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Business operations specialists (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (4%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
Average climate in Deering, New Hampshire
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Deering-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New Hampshire state average. It is 35% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 44.7 miles away from the Deering town center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 5.7 miles away from the town center caused $30,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Deering-area historical earthquake activity is near New Hampshire state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 138.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 135.0 miles away from Deering center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 32.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 134.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 54.7 miles away from Deering center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 80.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hillsborough County (23) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 8
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 12, Floods: 11, Snows: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricanes: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Deering:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Deering:
- Saint Anselm College (about 19 miles; Manchester, NH; Full-time enrollment: 2,059)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 20 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
- Southern New Hampshire University (about 21 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 16,552)
- Mount Washington College (about 21 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 2,187)
- Franklin Pierce University (about 23 miles; Rindge, NH; FT enrollment: 2,139)
- Keene State College (about 24 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
- Fitchburg State University (about 34 miles; Fitchburg, MA; FT enrollment: 5,010)
Notable locations in Deering: Oxbow Campground (A), Deering Community Center (B), Deering Fire and Rescue Murdough Station (C), Deering Fire and Rescue Donovan Station (D), Deering Fire and Rescue McCallister Station (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Deering: Deering Community Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Appleton Cemetery (1), Goodale Cemetery (2), Butler Cemetery (3), Bartlett Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Fulton Pond (A), Mud Pond (B), Deering Reservoir (C), Dudley Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Smith Brook (A), Patten Brook (B), North Branch River (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Deering: Deering Reserve (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 100. This is worse than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.244. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 13.1 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2010 was 6.19. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.7 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.589. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 13.1 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 31.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 6.89. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 14.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 5.11. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 14.7 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Deering and their reported violations in the past:JOHNSON CITY MHP (Population served: 45, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2012, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-01-2012), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-01-2012), St Public Notif received (DEC-03-2012), St Compliance achieved (MAY-15-2013)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - In DEC-2012, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-04-2013), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JAN-04-2013), St Compliance achieved (JAN-04-2013), St Public Notif received (JAN-15-2013)
- One routine major monitoring violation
|This town:||2.5 people|
|New Hampshire:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
61 people in homes or halfway houses for drug/alcohol abuse in 2000
18 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
Deering compared to New Hampshire state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (63%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (20%)
- Wood (15%)
- Utility gas (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Deering town (based on Hillsborough County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 58.14%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Church of Christ||Jewish||Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America||Episcopal Church|
|Name||United Methodist Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||LDS (Mormon) Church||Salvation Army||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hillsborough County:||1.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hillsborough County:||1.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hillsborough County:||2.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.70 / 10,000 pop.|
5.35% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($47,011 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.07%|
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($325 average AGI)
Hillsborough County: 0.04% New Hampshire average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Rockingham County, NH||0.93% ($41,135 average AGI)|
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.73% ($57,857)|
|from Merrimack County, NH||0.68% ($37,908)|
5.83% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($48,377 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.45%|
0.07% of residents moved to foreign countries ($631 average AGI)
Hillsborough County: 0.07% New Hampshire average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Deering:
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WGIR (610 AM; 5 kW; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKBR (1250 AM; 5 kW; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Deering:
- WTPL (107.7 FM; HILLSBORO, NH; Owner: CONCORD BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WNNH (99.1 FM; HENNIKER, NH; Owner: TELE-MEDIA COMPANY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, L.L.C.)
- WFEX (92.1 FM; PETERBOROUGH, NH; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LLC)
- WGIR-FM (101.1 FM; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQLL (96.5 FM; BEDFORD, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WLMW (90.7 FM; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: KNOWLEDGE FOR LIFE)
- WZID (95.7 FM; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WNHI (93.3 FM; BELMONT, NH; Owner: CONCORD BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WVRR (101.7 FM; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSCY (106.9 FM; MOULTONBOROUGH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Deering:
- WMUR-TV (Channel 9; MANCHESTER, NH; Owner: HEARST-ARGYLE PROPERTIES, INC.)
- WEKW-TV (Channel 52; KEENE, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WNEU (Channel 60; MERRIMACK, NH; Owner: NBC SUBSIDIARY (NH), INC.)
Deering fatal accident list:
Jul 15, 2010 06:40 PM, Long Woods Road, Lat: 43.09108, Lon: -71.90633, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Sep 2, 2002 08:10 PM, Camp Road, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Nov 27, 1995 03:43 PM, Route 149, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Sep 22, 1990 03:45 PM, 40684, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Total length: 8 meters (26ft)
Total costs: $17,500,000
Total average daily traffic: 3,260
Total average daily truck traffic: 202
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 4,826
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Deering)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:20 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Town Hall Deering Police Dept (Lat: 43.073139 Lon: -71.845361), Call Sign: KOI897
Assigned Frequencies: 155.475 MHz, 156.090 MHz
Grant Date: 11/16/2004, Expiration Date: 02/05/2015
Registrant: Nh Dept Of Safety-State Police Division, 33 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03301, Phone: (603) 223-8321, Fax: (603) 272-6629, Email:
- DONOVAN FIREHOUSE, 890 Deering Center Rd (Lat: 43.068250 Lon: -71.837417), Type: Bant, Structure height: 10 m, Overall height: 16 m, Call Sign: WYC727
Assigned Frequencies: 154.355 MHz
Grant Date: 11/03/2004, Expiration Date: 01/27/2015, Certifier: Robert Pragoff
Registrant: Deering, Town Of, 762 Deering Center Rd, Deering, NH 03244, Phone: (603) 464-5308, Fax: (603) 228-8148
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- Deering, Atop Wolf Hill, Off Route 149 (Lat: 43.080306 Lon: -71.868417), Type: Tower, Structure height: 36.9 m, Overall height: 42.4 m, Call Sign: WQIT946
Assigned Frequencies: 10552.5 MHz
Grant Date: 05/13/2008, Expiration Date: 05/13/2018, Certifier: Pamelia Y Hoof
Registrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy, #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Deering)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
Total of 7 patent applications in 2008-2015.