Jefferson County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level between 2 and 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Moderate Potential
Drinking water stations with addresses in Dix that have no violations reported:
- DIX-KELL WATER COMMSSION (Address: PO BOX 108, Population served: 1626, Primary Water Source Type: Purch_surface_water)
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2012: 34.7%
(35.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This village: || 1.9 people|
|Illinois: || 2.6 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This village: || 40.4%|
|Whole state: || 65.8%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This village: || 5.8%|
|Whole state: || 6.3%|
- Lesbian couples: 1.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Dix, IL
Dix compared to Illinois state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Back to the top
Banks with branches in Dix (2011 data):
- COMMUNITY FIRST BANK OF THE HEARTLAND: Dix Branch at 312 North Main Street, branch established on 1909/06/09. Info updated 2011/11/09: Bank assets: $143.4 mil, Deposits: $123.5 mil, headquarters in Mount Vernon, IL, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Cedar Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (69%)
- Utility gas (16%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (13%)
- Wood (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Dix village (based on Jefferson County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 54.54%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||National Association of Free Will Baptists|
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||Lutheran Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Jefferson County:||1.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|Number of supercenters and club stores:
|This county:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.08 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|Jefferson County:||4.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|Here:||8.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|Illinois:||8.3%|Adult obesity rate:
|Illinois:||25.2%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Totals for Government
Dix government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $84,000 ($181.82)
General - Other: $26,000 ($56.28)
Financial Administration: $17,000 ($36.80)
General Public Buildings: $2,000 ($4.33)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($4.33)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $8,000 ($17.32)
Dix government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $6,000 ($12.99)
General Revenue, NEC: $3,000 ($6.49)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $82,000 ($177.49)
Highways: $14,000 ($30.30)
- Tax - Property: $11,000 ($23.81)
NEC: $1,000 ($2.16)
Dix government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $138,000 ($298.70)
5.61% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($33,483 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
5.64% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($33,438 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Dix:
- WMIX (940 AM; 5 kW; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: WITHERS BROADCASTING CO OF ILLINOIS)
- WILY (1210 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSDZ (1260 AM; 20 kW; BELLEVILLE, IL)
- WMCL (1060 AM; 3 kW; MCLEANSBORO, IL; Owner: DANA COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- KRFT (1190 AM; 10 kW; DE SOTO, MO; Owner: ALL SPORTS RADIO, LLC)
- KTRS (550 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: KTRS-AM LICENSE, L.L.C.)
- WJBD (1350 AM; 0 kW; SALEM, IL; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
- WGGH (1150 AM; 5 kW; MARION, IL)
- KJSL (630 AM; 5 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: WMUZ RADIO, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Dix:
- WBMV (89.7 FM; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC)
- WVSI (88.9 FM; MT. VERNON, IL; Owner: THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
- WJBD-FM (100.1 FM; SALEM, IL; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
- WRXX (95.3 FM; CENTRALIA, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WIBV (102.1 FM; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: BENJAMIN STRATEMEYER)
- WDML (106.9 FM; WOODLAWN, IL; Owner: VOLUNTEER BROADCASTING OF ILLINOIS)
- K201FL (88.1 FM; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WNSV (104.7 FM; NASHVILLE, IL; Owner: DANA R. WITHERS)
- WDLJ (97.5 FM; BREESE, IL; Owner: KM RADIO OF BREESE, L.L.C.)
- WCXO (96.7 FM; CARLYLE, IL; Owner: CLINTON COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W217AK (91.3 FM; SALEM, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WMIX-FM (94.1 FM; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Owner: WITHERS BROADCASTING CO. OF ILLINOIS)
TV broadcast stations around Dix:
- W29CI (Channel 29; SALEM, IL; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WPXS (Channel 13; MT. VERNON, IL; Owner: EBC ST. LOUIS, INC.)
- WSIU-TV (Channel 8; CARBONDALE, IL; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
Dix fatal accident list:
Jul 20, 2009 03:03 AM, I-57, South, Lat: 38.43685, Lon: -88.95293056, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
Number of bridges: 2
Total length: 9 meters (30ft)
Total average daily traffic: 4,100
Total average daily truck traffic: 246
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:
12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Dix
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:
- Main St (Lat: 38.441722 Lon: -88.936167), Call Sign: WYC665
Assigned Frequencies: 154.430 MHz
Grant Date: 07/23/2003, Expiration Date: 09/15/2013
Registrant: Roy Walker Communications, Inc., 441 Church Camp Road, Makanda, IL 62958, Phone: (618) 529-3301, Fax: (618) 457-4985, Email:
- MOBILE L2, Lat: 38.425000 Lon: -88.942778, Call Sign: WPFK518, Licensee ID: L00008014
Assigned Frequencies: 161.235 MHz
Grant Date: 05/14/2004, Expiration Date: 08/01/2014
Registrant: Norfolk Southern Railway Co, 1200 Peachtree Street, Ne, Box 123, Atlanta, GA 30309, Phone: (404) 582-6224, Fax: (404) 582-6209, Email:
- WATER TANK NO. 2, 158 N. Main St. (Lat: 38.456361 Lon: -88.942694), Type: Tank, Structure height: 31 m, Call Sign: WQIJ504
Assigned Frequencies: 451.762 MHz
Grant Date: 02/27/2008, Expiration Date: 02/27/2018, Certifier: Susan M Arthur
Registrant: National License Corp., 9050 Briarclift Rd., Indianapolis, IN 46256, Phone: (317) 849-5866, Fax: (317) 841-3328, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:
- DIX, 1 Mi S Of Town Adjacent To Railroad Tracks (Lat: 38.424778 Lon: -88.942278), Type: Tower, Structure height: 93 m, Call Sign: WNTI686
Assigned Frequencies: 2181.60 MHz
Grant Date: 01/06/2011, Expiration Date: 03/05/2021, Cancellation Date: 08/31/2011
Registrant: Union Pacific Railroad, 1400 Douglas St. Stop 0650, Omaha, NE 68179, Phone: (402) 544-1777, Fax: (402) 233-3179, Email:
- 1 Mi S Of Town Adj To Rr Tracks (Lat: 38.424750 Lon: -88.942278), Overall height: 93 m, Call Sign: WNTR348
Assigned Frequencies: 928.368 MHz, 952.368 MHz
Grant Date: 06/06/2008, Expiration Date: 07/21/2018
Registrant: Union Pacific Railroad, 1400 Douglas St. Stop 0650, Omaha, NE 68179, Phone: (402) 544-1777, Fax: (402) 280-6565, Email:
- DIX, Cr 2050 .3 Mi W Of Intsection Sr37 & Cr 2050 (Lat: 38.425000 Lon: -88.942778), Type: Tower, Structure height: 73.1 m, Call Sign: WQNX860
Assigned Frequencies: 6755.00 MHz
Grant Date: 06/30/2011, Expiration Date: 06/30/2021, Certifier: David J Lachapelle
Registrant: Union Pacific Railroad, 1400 Douglas St. Stop 0650, Omaha, NE 68179, Phone: (402) 544-0392, Fax: (402) 233-3179, Email:
- STATION, 1 Mi S Of (Lat: 38.424833 Lon: -88.942639), Overall height: 93.9 m, Call Sign: WIR67, Licensee ID: L00008014
Assigned Frequencies: 6745.00 MHz, 6775.00 MHz
Grant Date: 07/29/2008, Expiration Date: 10/15/2018
Registrant: Norfolk Southern Railway Company, 1200 Peachtree St. Ne - Box 123, Atlanta, GA 30309, Phone: (404) 529-1493, Fax: (404) 527-2914, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:
8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Dix
FAA Registered Aircraft:
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172N (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 737CZ , Serial Number: 17269326, Year manufactured: 1977, Airworthiness Date: 09/21/1977
Registrant (Co-Owned): Building Material Center Phils, 540 W South St, Dix, IL 62830, Other Owners: Joseph Phillip Pittman, Janet R Pittman
|Most common first names in Dix, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Dix, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Plastics and rubber products"
- #63 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Management occupations:"
- #64 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Secondary school teachers"
- #72 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Occupational and physical therapist assistants and aides"
- #80 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Pharmacies and drug stores"
- #87 on the list of "Top 101 cities with low-earning residents located near cities with high-earning residents"