|Median resident age:||36.5 years|
|Georgia median age:||33.4 years|
Zip code: 31629
Dixie CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $80,461 (it was $48,700 in 2000)
- Black alone - 888 (55.7%)
- White alone - 686 (43.0%)
- Hispanic - 14 (0.9%)
- Two or more races - 6 (0.4%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.06%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 87.9 square miles.Population density: 18 people per square mile (very low).
For population 25 years and over in Dixie:
- High school or higher: 62.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 6.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.8%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Dixie CCD:
- Never married: 29.0%
- Now married: 55.5%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 8.1%
- Divorced: 7.5%
According to our research of Georgia and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Dixie, Georgia as of January 30, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Dixie to the number of sex offenders is 1,584 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Dixie CCD:||1.0% ($490)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Tallahassee, FL (41.1 miles , pop. 150,624).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Jacksonville, FL (125.2 miles , pop. 735,617).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (701.5 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Boston, GA (2.4 miles ), Quitman, GA (2.8 miles ), Barwick, GA (2.9 miles ), Empress, GA (3.5 miles ), Pavo, GA (3.6 miles ), Morven, GA (4.0 miles ), Thomasville, GA (4.2 miles ), Barney, GA (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 30.77 N, Longitude: 83.69 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 229
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (19%)
- Construction (14%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Paper (4%)
- Health care (18%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Computer and electronic products (6%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (6%)
- Private households (5%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (4%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (15%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (5%)
Average climate in Dixie, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Dixie-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 11% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/19/1988, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 27.7 miles away from the Dixie place center killed 4 people and injured 18 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 2/13/2000, a category F3 tornado 28.1 miles away from the place center killed 6 people and injured 15 people and caused $5 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Dixie-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 360.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 213.6 miles away from Dixie center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 225.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 280.9 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 255.1 miles away from Dixie center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 276.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Brooks County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Dixie:
- PRESBYTERIAN HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE CENTER (Hospital, about 8 miles away; QUITMAN, GA)
- BROOKS COUNTY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 9 miles away; QUITMAN, GA)
- BROOKS COUNTY DIALYSIS FACILITY (Dialysis Facility, about 9 miles away; QUITMAN, GA)
- PRESBYTERIAN HOME INC (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; QUITMAN, GA)
- PRESBYTERIAN HOME, QUITMAN, IN (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; QUITMAN, GA)
- THOMASVILLE NURSING AND REHAB CENTER (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; THOMASVILLE, GA)
- BRIAN CENTER OF THOMASVILLE (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; THOMASVILLE, GA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Dixie:
- Wiregrass Georgia Technical College (about 22 miles; Valdosta, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,246)
- Valdosta State University (about 25 miles; Valdosta, GA; FT enrollment: 11,155)
- Florida State University (about 43 miles; Tallahassee, FL; FT enrollment: 38,283)
- Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (about 43 miles; Tallahassee, FL; FT enrollment: 10,841)
- Tallahassee Community College (about 45 miles; Tallahassee, FL; FT enrollment: 10,904)
- Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (about 50 miles; Tifton, GA; FT enrollment: 2,564)
- Bainbridge State College (about 51 miles; Bainbridge, GA; FT enrollment: 2,308)
Notable location: Dixie Area Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Dixie include: Dixie Baptist Church (A), Dixie Methodist Church (B), Grooverville Methodist Church (C), Jesus Christ Church (D), Liberty Baptist Church (E), Mount Moriah Church (F), Pine Hill Church (G), Saint Philip Church (H), Elam Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Robinson Cemetery (1), Saint Philip Cemetery (2), African Methodist Episcopal Cemetery (3), Beasley Cemetery (4), Grooverville Cemetery (5), Ozell Cemetery (6), Groover Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Blue Pond (A), McMullen Bay (B), Dry Lake (C), Stanley Bay (D), Long Lake (E), Alico Company Lake (F), Jackson Lake (G), Stella Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Carroll Branch (A), Cat Creek (B), Pride Branch (C), Allen Branch (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 40.5. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.66. This is about average. Closest monitor was 24.3 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 0.00220. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 24.3 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Dixie compared to Georgia state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (48%)
- Electricity (46%)
- Utility gas (4%)
- Wood (1%)
Religion statistics for Dixie CCD (based on Brooks County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 43.22%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Presbyterian Church (USA)|
|Name||Assemblies of God||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Brooks County:||1.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Brooks County:||1.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||0.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Brooks County:||4.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||1.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
10.00% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($28,212 average adjusted gross income)
0.24% of residents moved from foreign countries ($609 average AGI)
Brooks County: 0.24% Georgia average: 0.39%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Lowndes County, GA||3.59% ($25,779 average AGI)|
|from Thomas County, GA||0.93% ($27,596)|
|from Colquitt County, GA||0.38% ($29,947)|
9.06% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($24,662 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Dixie:
- WHGH (840 AM; daytime; 10 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: H. G. H INVESTMENT CORP.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WJEP (1020 AM; daytime; 10 kW; OCHLOCKNEE, GA; Owner: LIFELINE MINISTRIES, INCORPORATED)
- WSFB (1490 AM; 1 kW; QUITMAN, GA; Owner: JIM CHION)
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMGA (1130 AM; 10 kW; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: RADIO MOULTRIE, INC.)
- WGOV (950 AM; 4 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: W G O V, INC.)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WJEM (1150 AM; 5 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: WJEM, INC.)
- WFRF (1070 AM; daytime; 10 kW; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: FAITH RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- WMTM (1300 AM; 5 kW; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: COLQUITT BROADCASTING COMPANY, LLC)
- WTHV (810 AM; daytime; 3 kW; HAHIRA, GA; Owner: ETERNAL LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WPAX (1240 AM; 1 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: LENROB ENTERPRISES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Dixie:
- WTUF (106.3 FM; BOSTON, GA; Owner: BOSTON RADIO COMPANY, INC.)
- WKVH (91.9 FM; MONTICELLO, FL; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- WFSU-FM (88.9 FM; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WYZK (96.7 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: C. D. J., INC.)
- WGLF (104.1 FM; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WAFT (101.1 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: CHRISTIAN RADIO FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WDMG-FM (99.5 FM; DOUGLAS, GA; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WAAC (92.9 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: WGOV, INC.)
- WWLD (102.3 FM; CAIRO, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WJYF (95.3 FM; NASHVILLE, GA; Owner: TIFTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WSTI-FM (105.3 FM; QUITMAN, GA; Owner: MAGNUM BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTLY (107.1 FM; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTNT-FM (94.9 FM; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWRQ-FM (107.9 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WMTM-FM (93.9 FM; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: COLQUITT BROADCASTING COMPANY, LLC)
- WXHT (102.7 FM; MADISON, FL; Owner: MAGNUM BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Dixie:
- WCTV (Channel 6; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: WCTV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WTWC-TV (Channel 40; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: WTWC LICENSEE, LLC)
- W38CM (Channel 22; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
- WTXL-TV (Channel 27; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: MEDIA VENTURE MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- WTLH (Channel 49; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: WTLH LICENSE CORP.)
- WABW-TV (Channel 14; PELHAM, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- W25CP (Channel 25; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WVAG (Channel 44; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: HUTCHENS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBFL-CA (Channel 13; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: WTLH LICENSE CORP.)
- WALB (Channel 10; ALBANY, GA; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WFXL (Channel 31; ALBANY, GA; Owner: WAITT LICENSE COMPANY OF GEORGIA, L.L.C.)
- WBVJ-LP (Channel 35; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: WTLH LICENSE CORP.)
- WVUP-CA (Channel 45; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: CHRISTIAN TELEVISION CORPORATION, INC.)
- WTBC-LP (Channel 65; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: TEMPLE BAPTIST CHURCH, INC.)
- W19CP (Channel 19; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: TIFT AREA TV)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Dixie)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KI4QVZ, Licensee ID: L01184756
Grant Date: 08/22/2006, Expiration Date: 08/22/2016, Certifier: Landon R Mcbride
Registrant: Landon R Mcbride, 11886 Barwick Rd., Dixie, GA 31629
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: AIR TRACTOR INC AT-400 (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: P & W R-2000 SERIES (1450 HP) (Turbo-prop)
N-Number: 3166Y , Serial Number: 400-0515, Year manufactured: 1984, Airworthiness Date: 04/11/1984
Registrant (Corporation): Dixie Crop Care Inc, 491 Pats Ln, Dixie, GA 31629
- Aircraft: TRAVEL AIR 2000 (Category: Land, Seats: 3, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 79 mph), Engine: AMA/EXPR UNKNOWN ENG (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 8853 , Serial Number: 928, Year manufactured: 1920, Airworthiness Date: 04/03/1920
Registrant (Individual): Gene Rambo, Po Box 85, Dixie, GA 31629
Dixie on our top lists:
- #42 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Miscellaneous durable goods merchant wholesalers"
- #53 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers"
- #81 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest maximum monthly morning or afternoon humidity"
- #88 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Personal care and service occupations:"