Dorchester, New Hampshire
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||49.0 years|
|New Hampshire median age:||43.9 years|
Zip codes: 03266.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $31,853 (it was $18,940 in 2000)
Dorchester town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $176,000 (it was $83,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $300,277; Detached houses: $329,173; Townhouses or other attached units: $269,970; In 2-unit structures: $296,434; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $268,715; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $279,961; Mobile homes: $83,928; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $36,697
Races in Dorchester, NH (2010)
- 34396.6%White alone
- 72.0%Two or more races
- 30.8%American Indian alone
- 10.3%Black alone
- 10.3%Asian alone
|Manchester/Nashua art scene (1 reply)|
|NH Drug Testing Bill for Healthcare Workers (51 replies)|
|Moving to New Hampshire-some advice please (10 replies)|
|Thinking of applying to job's in New Hampshire (11 replies)|
|Possibly moving to the Northeast for work...where to live? (11 replies)|
|Relocating to NH(Dover) (11 replies)|
Latest news from Dorchester, NH collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (29.5%), English (18.7%), Irish (16.4%), United States (13.6%), German (8.5%), Polish (7.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1761
Elevation: 1368 feet
Land area: 44.7 square miles.
Population density: 7.9 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Dorchester:
- High school or higher: 85.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.8%
- Unemployed: 10.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 39.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Dorchester town:
- Never married: 15.3%
- Now married: 68.2%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 10.2%
20 residents are foreign born (2.8% North America, 1.4% Europe, 0.8% Latin America).
According to our research of New Hampshire and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Dorchester, New Hampshire as of January 16, 2019.
The ratio of number of residents in Dorchester to the number of sex offenders is 178 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Dorchester town:||1.7% ($1,422)|
|New Hampshire:||2.3% ($2,946)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (61.4 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (110.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (226.3 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Wentworth, NH (2.1 miles ), Groton, NH (2.2 miles ), Rumney, NH (2.5 miles ), Lyme, NH (3.0 miles ), Canaan, NH (3.1 miles ), Orange, NH (3.1 miles ), Orford, NH (3.2 miles ), Warren, NH (3.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2012: 5 buildings, average cost: $236,600
- 2013: 5 buildings, average cost: $236,600
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $211,200
Latitude: 43.80 N, Longitude: 71.95 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 603
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Leather and allied products (4%)
- Electrical equipment, appliances, and components (4%)
- Health care (25%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Food and beverage stores (11%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (10%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Other construction workers and helpers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Customer service representatives (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (12%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (12%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Accountants and auditors (5%)
Average climate in Dorchester, New Hampshire
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Dorchester-area historical tornado activity is below New Hampshire state average. It is 70% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1973, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 15.6 miles away from the Dorchester town center .
On 8/11/1966, a category F2 tornado 15.9 miles away from the town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Dorchester-area historical earthquake activity is near New Hampshire state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 119.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 99.8 miles away from Dorchester center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 27.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 34.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 98.7 miles away from Dorchester center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 40.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Grafton County (28) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 19
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 13, Hurricanes: 3, Snows: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Tropical Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Rufus Blodgett - Politician.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Dorchester:
- Plymouth State University (about 14 miles; Plymouth, NH; Full-time enrollment: 4,838)
- Dartmouth College (about 18 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Norwich University (about 43 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 45 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
- Southern New Hampshire University (about 58 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 16,552)
- Saint Anselm College (about 61 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 2,059)
- Mount Washington College (about 62 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 2,187)
Notable location: DOC Camp (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Dorchester: Dorchester Community Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Bryant Pond (A), Mudgetts Pond (B), McCutcheon Pond (C), Cummins Pond (D), Reservoir Pond (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Merrill Brook (A), Rocky Brook (B), Bucks Brook (C), Meadow Brook (D), Clough Branch (E), Black Brook (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Dorchester: Dorchester Common Historic District (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 63.3. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 25.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 10.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.16. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 21.1 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
|New Hampshire:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 2.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New Hampshire average:||10.9|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Dorchester town (based on Grafton County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Grafton County:||3.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grafton County:||1.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grafton County:||6.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||14.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.70 / 10,000 pop.|
7.43% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($54,284 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.07%|
0.07% of residents moved from foreign countries ($5,320 average AGI)
Grafton County: 0.07% New Hampshire average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Windsor County, VT||0.60% ($56,827 average AGI)|
|from Sullivan County, NH||0.54% ($43,000)|
|from Merrimack County, NH||0.43% ($43,161)|
8.27% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($43,736 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.45%|
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($436 average AGI)
Grafton County: 0.11% New Hampshire average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Dorchester:
- WPNH (1300 AM; 5 kW; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEZS (1350 AM; 5 kW; LACONIA, NH; Owner: GARY W. HAMMOND)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Dorchester:
- WPNH-FM (100.1 FM; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WEVH (91.3 FM; HANOVER, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO INC)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WSCY (106.9 FM; MOULTONBOROUGH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WXXK (100.5 FM; LEBANON, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WRJT (103.1 FM; ROYALTON, VT; Owner: LISBON COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WVRR (101.7 FM; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
TV broadcast stations around Dorchester:
- W15BK (Channel 15; HANOVER, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 12Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- $37,704,000Total costs
- 4,300Total average daily traffic
- 158Total average daily truck traffic
- 6,365Total future (year 2035) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KB3SBI, Licensee ID: L01447346, Grant Date: 12/01/2008, Expiration Date: 12/01/2018, Certifier: Craig W Veasey, Registrant: Craig W Veasey, 1137 Route 118, Dorchester, NH 03266
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (58%)
- Wood (24%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (15%)
- Electricity (2%)
- Coal or coke (2%)
Dorchester compared to New Hampshire state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2019.