We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||49.3 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05341.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $34,007 (it was $23,485 in 2000)
Dover town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $274,314 (it was $143,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $252,221; Detached houses: $263,545; Townhouses or other attached units: $208,358; In 2-unit structures: $411,904; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $241,079; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $173,170; Mobile homes: $89,371
Races in Dover, VT (2010)
- 1,07495.6%White alone
- 171.5%Two or more races
- 90.8%Asian alone
- 50.4%Black alone
- 10.09%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
- Higher local employment numbers lead to higher payrolls, especially in finance Apr 15
|Dover and Wilmington (2 replies)|
|Official Vermont Picture Thread (916 replies)|
|Dover or Wilmington (14 replies)|
|Public transportation - Mt. Snow/W.Dover to Burlington (4 replies)|
|Considering Dover, Vt? (3 replies)|
|towns around Green Mountain National Forest (23 replies)|
Latest news from Dover, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (19.4%), English (17.0%), German (15.1%), Italian (9.0%), United States (8.7%), French (8.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1893 feet
Land area: 35.3 square miles.
Population density: 32 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Dover:
- High school or higher: 94.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 41.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.3%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Dover town:
- Never married: 24.5%
- Now married: 56.7%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 3.7%
- Divorced: 14.2%
48 residents are foreign born (1.8% Europe, 0.8% Latin America, 0.5% North America).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Dover, Vermont as of April 23, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Dover to the number of sex offenders is 718 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Dover town:||1.1% ($1,564)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Albany, NY (51.4 miles , pop. 95,658).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (99.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (155.1 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Wilmington, VT (2.3 miles ), Wardsboro, VT (2.4 miles ), Somerset, VT (2.7 miles) , Searsburg, VT (2.7 miles) , Stratton, VT (2.8 miles) , Marlboro, VT (3.0 miles ), Newfane, VT (3.2 miles) , Jamaica, VT (3.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 8 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1998: 16 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 1999: 17 buildings, average cost: $109,200
- 2000: 42 buildings, average cost: $180,600
- 2001: 15 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2002: 16 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2003: 17 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2004: 21 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2005: 18 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2006: 15 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2007: 20 buildings, average cost: $181,200
- 2008: 9 buildings, average cost: $182,300
- 2009: 7 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2010: 8 buildings, average cost: $165,900
- 2011: 8 buildings, average cost: $172,000
- 2012: 7 buildings, average cost: $180,800
- 2013: 6 buildings, average cost: $193,300
- 2014: 10 buildings, average cost: $211,200
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.96 N, Longitude: 72.85 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
|Crime rates in Dover by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 287.4)||163.3||195.8||585.5||571.4||507.3||589.1||497.2||381.5||477.1||527.1||431.0||375.7||415.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Dover detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||5.43|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Accommodation and food services (24%)
- Construction (11%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (30%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Health care (10%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (6%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (10%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (4%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (3%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Registered nurses (8%)
- Waiters and waitresses (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Dover, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Dover-area historical tornado activity is significantly above Vermont state average. It is 34% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 10.2 miles away from the Dover town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 tornado 16.7 miles away from the town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Dover-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 101.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 114.3 miles away from Dover center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 73.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 95.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 114.0 miles away from Dover center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 98.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Windham County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 9, Tropical Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Kittredge Haskins - Politician.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Dover:
- Williams College (about 25 miles; Williamstown, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
- Keene State College (about 30 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
- Franklin Pierce University (about 43 miles; Rindge, NH; FT enrollment: 2,139)
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 43 miles; Amherst, MA; FT enrollment: 26,583)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (about 45 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 6,940)
- The Sage Colleges (about 46 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 2,499)
- Smith College (about 46 miles; Northampton, MA; FT enrollment: 3,549)
Public elementary/middle school in Dover:
- DOVER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 82, Location: 9 SCHOOLHOUSE ROAD, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Dover: Mount Snow Ski Area (A), Carinthia Ski Area (B), Hermitage Touring Center (C), Mount Snow Golf Course (D), Mount Snow Ski Resort (E), Timber Creek Ski Resort (F), Carinthia Ski Center (G), Mount Snow Conference Center (H), Dover Free Library (I), Dover Town Hall (J), Dover Town Offices (K), West Dover Fire Department (L), East Dover Volunteer Fire Company, Incorporated (M). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Dover include: West Dover Congregational Church (A), East Dover Baptist Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Mountain View Cemetery (1), West Dover Village Cemetery (2), Smead Hill Cemetery (3), Rice-Snow Cemetery (4), Mount View Cemetery (5), East Dover Cemetery (6), Dover Center Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Taft Brook (A), Cheney Brook (B), Blue Brook (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Dover include: West Dover Historic District (1), Dover Common (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 60.1. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 31.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 14.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 15.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.13. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.6 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.9% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Dover town (based on Windham County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Windham County:||4.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||1.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||18.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
5.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,769 average adjusted gross income)
0.10% of residents moved from foreign countries ($168 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.10% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cheshire County, NH||0.65% ($30,754 average AGI)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.47% ($25,261)|
|from Franklin County, MA||0.22% ($38,415)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,600 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved to foreign countries ($193 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.08% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Dover:
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKBK (1290 AM; 5 kW; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Dover:
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WCFR-FM (96.3 FM; WALPOLE, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Dover:
- WEKW-TV (Channel 52; KEENE, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
Dover fatal accident list:
Dec 9, 2007 02:51 AM, Sr-100, Lat: 42.94553, Lon: -72.86444, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Nov 26, 1987 09:45 PM, Th 25, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Jul 9, 1982 06:35 PM, Th42, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
Sep 22, 1977 08:27 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 13Number of bridges
- 19m62ftTotal length
- $2,718,000Total costs
- 22,955Total average daily traffic
- 1,796Total average daily truck traffic
- 32,898Total future (year 2015) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:1
- Jeffrey A Ploof, 19 Rice Hill Rd (Lat: 42.960167 Lon: -72.816278), Type: 37.0, Structure height: 50025 m, Overall height: 37 m, Registrant: 8023531844, Jeff.Ploof@greenmountainpower.Com, 2152 POST RD
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- East Dover Fire Station (Lat: 42.954806 Lon: -72.772028), Type: Building, Structure height: 10 m, Overall height: 17 m, Call Sign: WPKG751
Assigned Frequencies: 154.430 MHzGrant Date: 12/01/2011, Expiration Date: 02/15/2022, Certifier: John S MarechalRegistrant: Swnh District Fire Mutual Aid, 32 Vernon Street, Keene, NH 03431, Phone: (603) 352-8635, Fax: (603) 352-1985, Email:
- Dover Rd At Dover Elementary School Entrance (Lat: 42.933417 Lon: -72.799528), Call Sign: KSW986
Assigned Frequencies: 33.1000 MHzGrant Date: 09/26/2000, Expiration Date: 11/27/2005, Cancellation Date: 01/08/2002Registrant: Dover, Town Of, Hwy Dept, West Dover, VT 05356
- Lat: 42.947028 Lon: -72.817583, Call Sign: WQFY398
Assigned Frequencies: 458.512 MHz, 458.512 MHzGrant Date: 11/06/2006, Expiration Date: 11/06/2016, Certifier: Gary CaruthasRegistrant: Town Of Dover, 253 Route 100, West Dover, VT 05356, Phone: (802) 464-2020, Fax: (802) 464-8915, Email:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (45%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (25%)
- Wood (19%)
- Electricity (9%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Dover compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.